Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2023, 13:15   #1186
BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
BIG B shelves car owing to traffjc jam, rides pillion on a stranger's bike to reach his workplace

It's a Royal Enfield Himalayan. Big B thanked the stranger for helping him reach for work, faster.
A Marketing gimmic for the Bike and evident from the way "Himalayan" is not covered. And by the way, both the rider and pillion were not wearing helmets and he shared this publicly !!! Such is the sad state of Law in our country.
sreerknair is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:56   #1187
BHPian

Somewhere between Hassan and Arakalgud, during the election season, our car was stopped by the cops for checking, and asked to open our bags.

While rearranging the luggage in the boot, to bring it to a more convenient position, my hand slipped and the bag fell back again into the boot. The cop said, with a concerned and deadpan expression (translated from Kannada):

"Brother, be careful. The bottles will break if you don't handle your bag carefully"

Needless to say, we all had a good laugh, and sent us on our way after that.
PearlJam is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 05:38   #1188

Back in 1998 we moved to Goa from Belgaum (Belgavi) as my father had started working in Panaji. It was a force of habit to fill the car with so much luggage that my father, mother, sister and I adjusted ourselves in the car around it.

Another custom was to leave late in the evening because why not! On one such trip I remember, we had taken the Amboli ghat route and had already crossed into Goa. It was about 7pm and being winter it was almost dark. I don't exactly remember where (a very secluded section of the road) but one of the rear tyres on our Premiere Padmini went flat. And being the only able adult, my dad got to work in putting on the spare tyre. Had to empty out the entire trunk to get to the spare wheel, so that was a task and as it was getting darker my dad suggested that I help him out by holding his cigarette lighter on so that he could see (I was his assistant in almost everything). Me being clueless held the lighter in such a way that it burnt my thumb, so that was stupid enough.

After all those shenanigans, dad realised that the spare wheel is almost flat too. But dad being dad, he shifted all the luggage on the rear seat on the opposite side of the flat tyre and made me sit on the other side as it would put less weight on it. Like this we drove for at a snail's pace till we found a tyre repair shop. Got both the tyres patched up and finally reached Panaji. As a treat after this ordeal, we all were treated to some finger licking pavbhaji from Shivsagar. But this also taught us to keep checking my car tyres for correct pressures (not that we didn't) regularly.

Last edited by Axe77 : 24th May 2023 at 06:44. Reason: Minor formatting for improved readability.
EshaanLele is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 15:21   #1189
BHPian

Last month, I attended a house warming ceremony in a rural locality. The venue had made good arrangements for vehicle parking at multiple locations. However, despite these efforts, a few latecomers struggled to find parking spots for their cars. I had parked my car in a designated area on top of a small hill.

After lunch, as I returned to the spot where I had parked my car, I encountered an elderly gent whom I knew very well, standing in the sweltering sun with a worried look on his face. His parked WagonR was blocked by a battle scarred Maruti 800 , and he couldn't move his car. In a subtle way, he sought my help, hinting that the driver/owner of the Maruti 800 had left the key in the car.

To my surprise, I found the key still in the ignition slot when I checked. I took the driver's seat and moved the car to a vacant spot that had become available by then. The gentleman not only expressed his gratitude but also mentioned that the Maruti 800 driver /owner would be pleased to find his car parked in a safe and shaded area.

Although the Maruti guy initially parked the car wrongly, I found his foresightedness unusual and heartwarming!
Emvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 13:40   #1190
Senior - BHPian

We had planned a stay at Marari Beach Resort and going by the name we assumed it was in Marari Beach.

Got down at Alappuzha train station, no cabs, so took a prepaid auto. At the counter we were told by the cop manning the counter that Marari would be Rs.450/- but token will say only Rs.120/-. With hungry kids in tow i was in no mood to waste time and argue.

Took the token and handed it over to the Auto driver.

He asked to speak to the resort to get directions and in a few minutes we were on our way.

Got to the resort and the auto driver says, sir this not the proper Marari beach area which is still some 10kms away.

Surprisingly he only asked for Rs.240 (Rs120 and his empty return trip).

Days of auto drivers acting like villains, this was a pleasant surprise
deathwalkr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 13:49   #1191
Distinguished - BHPian

In a Lokhandawala backroad in Mumbai, two youths are making news in the social media with the Instagram post attracting thousands of likes (@sachkadwahai handle). They are selling tea at Rs 20/- a cup from the luggage boot of their Audi wherein the news says, Rs 20/- tea from the trunk of a Rs 70 lakh worth car. The car has a HR registration. This duo is on that spot every evening since six months and have been attracting many customers of late. While taking a stroll here one late evening in this location, the duo missed a tea stall, there being none. Hence they decided to set up their own little enterprise. Amit Kashyap and Manu Sharma are the two youths. Kashyap is a stock trader during mornings, while Sharma, a professional, had worked in Africa. They've have named it "On Drive Tea Stall", fondly called OD tea stall. It could soon mutate and become "Audi tea stall", as mutation is organic and was also keenly observed with the Covid-19 (SARS-CoV-2) virus.

The links with text and images:-

https://www.hindustantimes.com/car-b...699436334.html

https://m.timesofindia.com/etimes/tr.../100614823.cms

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd June 2023 at 13:52.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 17:37   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Date: 29.05.2023
Time: Sometime after sunset
Place: Somewhere between Krishnagiri and Hosur

On our way back to Bengaluru from an extended weekend trip, we stopped at a half-closed roadside kiosk. I got down from our vehicle to enquire if we can get some tea. The vendor, a teen, was in two minds whether to serve us or continue with his watching of IPL final. It didn't help that I couldn't speak Tamil and he could barely understand my English or Hindi.

When I peeped onto his screen, I saw that the yelloves were bowling and harkened my daughter to have a look. She being a die hard CSKian, came out and got glued to the screen.

When he realised that his customers too were rooting for his favorite team, the vendor doubled up and lit his stove. Within minutes, he whipped up a couple of glasses of tasty tea and a few cups of fine coffee. We sat there for a while; not understanding each other's language but tightly bound by our mutual love for MSD.

We finished, picked up a few chocolates and paid him with a hundred rupee note. When he added up the bill, it came to ₹110. While I was taking out a tenner from my pocket, the vendor got hold of my hands, pushed a ten rupee note instead and said Saar, no Saar, I give discount Saar. Thala discount sir. He win, we happy, you happy Saar!

No amount of convincing would force him to accept his tenner back, not to speak of the one we owed him. Moved by his action, we purchased a few more items and paid him the correct amount plus his ten, this time via PhonePe.

He was visibly annoyed that we didn't accept his discount. We, in turn, were happy to have found an honest chap and at having not deprived him of his rightful earnings.
Later that night (technically next day), when Jaddu scored the winning runs off the last ball of the innings, there was one more teary eyed man besides Dhoni. But in addition to celebrating the victory, he was also thinking of the teen back in TN whose love for cricket had brought him close to a bunch of strangers!
Postscript: Sadly, I didn't mark the location of the kiosk.

Nevertheless, next time I am on the route, I will surely be keeping my eyes open.

A meet and greet is indeed due!!!
dailydriver is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 18:25   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
We had planned a stay at Marari Beach Resort and going by the name we assumed it was in Marari Beach.

Got down at Alappuzha train station, no cabs, so took a prepaid auto. At the counter we were told by the cop manning the counter that Marari would be Rs.450/- but token will say only Rs.120/-. With hungry kids in tow i was in no mood to waste time and argue.
Very strange, wonder why they give tokens with incorrect amount. Is it only in Allepey? (Or is some sort of scam together with police)

Used prepaid autos at trivandrum railway station never had to pay a rupee more.
Old 4th June 2023, 11:08   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He was visibly annoyed that we didn't accept his discount.
Reminded me of an incident from a couple of years back.

Stopped for tea at a road-side tea stall in a temple town in Tamil Nadu. Observed that he was using coal in his stove. Having tried activated charcoal for removing odour and being happy with the result, I was wondering if normal coal would serve the purpose., To try it out, I asked him for just a handful of coal pieces, intending to pay for the same.

He was curious as to why I wanted coal, and I explained. He took a piece of paper and proceeded to place coal pieces on it - with both hands, 4-5 times - and stopped only when I insisted. Also, he refused to take any payment for it.

Pondered over this for several days, then it dawned on me that he was one rich person - in the real sense of the term. And when someone like him gives something, the best thing to do is to accept with gratitude and grace.
adisan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 16:06   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Last month, I attended a house warming ceremony in a rural locality. The venue had made good arrangements for vehicle parking at multiple locations. However, despite these efforts, a few latecomers struggled to find parking spots for their cars. I had parked my car in a designated area on top of a small hill.

After lunch, as I returned to the spot where I had parked my car, I encountered an elderly gent whom I knew very well, standing in the sweltering sun with a worried look on his face. His parked WagonR was blocked by a battle scarred Maruti 800 , and he couldn't move his car. In a subtle way, he sought my help, hinting that the driver/owner of the Maruti 800 had left the key in the car.

To my surprise, I found the key still in the ignition slot when I checked. I took the driver's seat and moved the car to a vacant spot that had become available by then. The gentleman not only expressed his gratitude but also mentioned that the Maruti 800 driver /owner would be pleased to find his car parked in a safe and shaded area.

Although the Maruti guy initially parked the car wrongly, I found his foresightedness unusual and heartwarming!
The elderly man was smart, he achieved his objective without getting involved.

Getting into unknown vehicles and moving them without the owner's presence or consent seems to be an act of impropriety. I would not take pride in doing something like this.
J2022 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 18:17   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2022 View Post
The elderly man was smart, he achieved his objective without getting involved.

Getting into unknown vehicles and moving them without the owner's presence or consent seems to be an act of impropriety. I would not take pride in doing something like this.
While I understand your perspective, I strongly disagree. It seems you are passing judgment without having knowledge of the individuals involved or the specific circumstances. Labeling the elderly man as 'smart' is unjustified in this situation. I want to clarify that it wasn't a gathering with random invitees at a rural locality, it was all within the family circle. Nevertheless, if you believe it to be an act of impropriety, so be it. Also, I want to emphasize that nowhere in my previous post did I mention that I took pride in the act or portrayed myself as a hero or savior. My intention was solely to highlight and appreciate the foresightedness of the Maruti 800 owner / driver. I have nothing further to add. Thank you for understanding.

Last edited by Emvi : 4th June 2023 at 18:26.
Emvi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 02:57   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
While I understand your perspective, I strongly disagree. It seems you are passing judgment without having knowledge of the individuals involved or the specific circumstances. Labeling the elderly man as 'smart' is unjustified in this situation. I want to clarify that it wasn't a gathering with random invitees at a rural locality, it was all within the family circle. Nevertheless, if you believe it to be an act of impropriety, so be it. Also, I want to emphasize that nowhere in my previous post did I mention that I took pride in the act or portrayed myself as a hero or savior. My intention was solely to highlight and appreciate the foresightedness of the Maruti 800 owner / driver. I have nothing further to add. Thank you for understanding.
My conclusions are based on whatever you wrote. If you do not like them we have to agree to disagree. I feel our sense of right and wrong is also very different.

In my view getting into someone else's car without consent is illegal. That you moved it around to park compounds the act. To conclude that the driver leaving his key in the vehicle is sign of his "foresightedness" (as you claim) is quite presumptuous.

I am sorry to say this but this is tantamount to taking the law into your own hands, that too in a matter that did not directly affect you. I, for one, would be upset if someone took the liberty of getting into my parked car and moving it without my knowledge. In a western country you might even be charged with breaking and entering a vehicle, perhaps also burglary and attempted theft. (I suspect even in India these apply but we treat these as trifles).

The elderly man in your story avoided all these legal and ethical issues, and he got his problem solved so therefore I say he is smart (or wise).

Unless there was a life and death situation nobody the right to move personal property. If the car was parked illegally please report it to the traffic police.

Last edited by GTO : 6th June 2023 at 08:23. Reason: No need for such a rude or strong post please. Request to continue being polite, calm & respectful, even in debates. Thanks
J2022 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 09:31   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
My conclusions are based on whatever you wrote. If you do not like them we have to agree to disagree. I feel our sense of right and wrong is also very different.
Let's agree to disagree, but I strongly disagree.

Quote:
In my view getting into someone else's car without consent is illegal. That you moved it around to park compounds the act. To conclude that the driver leaving his key in the vehicle is sign of his "foresightedness" (as you claim) is quite presumptuous.
In my view, you are being judgemental without understanding reality of the situation.

Quote:
Finally you post this on a discussion titled "Funny & Heartwarming Episodes" with the air of a good samaritan. Are you not showing off what you thought is an apparently heartwarming or helpful gesture to all the readers?
I am sorry to say this, I have no idea what and where I was showing off, and I feel your meaning of showing off is quite different.

Quote:
I am sorry to say this but this is tantamount to taking the law into your own hands, that too in a matter that did not directly affect you. I, for one, would be upset if someone took the liberty of getting into my parked car and moving it without my knowledge. In a western country you might even be charged with breaking and entering a vehicle, perhaps also burglary and attempted theft. (I suspect even in India these apply but we treat these as trifles).
For one, I wouldn't have parked the car the way it was parked. And excuse me if I forgot to mention that it was in India. The charges you are making against me, even though indirectly, are completely unwarranted here. It would be really beneficial if you could make time and initiate a thread wherein you can highlight such unlawful trifles and educate people on this. Also, there may be a plethora of such unnoticed, unlawful trifles on the forum itself, which, if you could shed light on, would be of great help to the forum readers.

Quote:
The elderly man in your story avoided all these legal and ethical issues, and he got his problem solved so therefore I say he is smart (or wise).
Your claim is nothing more than presumptuous.

Quote:
Unless there was a life and death situation nobody the right to move personal property. If the car was parked illegally please report it to the traffic police.
It is not Bangalore, Bombay, or Delhi we are discussing. I mentioned a rural locality in both of my posts to clearly spotlight this. The traffic police department is non-existent, if you did not know. Heck, the place does not even have proper mobile connectivity. Moreover, I don't believe in making a mountain out of a molehill in situations such as this.

Quote:
If you want to now change your story and claim that the owner of the Maruti was your family member or known to you and had agreed to your actions, now that's a very different case!
It's surprising to see you getting riled up and drawing your own conclusions based on lopsided assumptions. Nowhere did I mention that the Maruti 800 owner / driver is my family member someone I know closely. You are making assumptions without considering the context. I must add, this is plain nitpicking from your end. In our part of the world, a family 'circle' often includes a large number of individuals, making it highly unlikely for you to know everyone. I simply mentioned that the Wagon-R owner is someone I know very well. The term 'family circle' was used to clarify that the parking spot under discussion was not a public parking at a mall, park, or public event in a city or town, but rather a private one arranged by the host.
Emvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 16:10   #1199
BHPian

Quote:

Finally you post this on a discussion titled "Funny & Heartwarming Episodes" with the air of a good samaritan. Are you not showing off what you thought is an apparently heartwarming or helpful gesture to all the readers?

If you want to now change your story and claim that the owner of the Maruti was your family member or known to you and had agreed to your actions, now that's a very different case!
Looks like these comments are being passed without understanding the situation. It is not downtown Manhattan that is being discussed here, but a rural area where everyone would know everyone.

Maruti 800 person would have parked in that place because of lack of parking place elsewhere and left the key inside purposefully so that people can move it as needed.

I have moved many vehicles like this, either by using key inside (or by pushing the car if in neutral).

By the logic given by you, it is illegal to move the two wheeler which is obstructing the parking lot or our way out !
prasanna_indaje is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 16:17   #1200
Team-BHP Support

@Emvi,

I have seen this in small local communities. Some people hardly bother locking up the car or bike and expect that someone will take care of the vehicle if needed.

Our large cities used to be like this but somewhere along the way we have lost this simple trusting nature that made life so simple and easy.
bblost is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks