Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2018, 23:06   #2566
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

On last 29th April, my Brother's family & I went for a drive from Chennai to Vellore in his car which is not Fastag enabled, as we rarely take the car to highways. Since we had to return on the same day, we took return tickets in the two toll booths on the way; I noticed in the tickets, unlike earlier days, the complete Registration number was printed; There is no way the person in the counter could type in the complete number in such a short span of time. Although 'Lane 1' was marked as Fastag lane, I could see all vehicles were in that queue and all lanes were crowded.

On our return journey on the same day, although we were ready with the Return Toll Tickets at the toll booths to be shown at the counter, immediately after coming to halt at the counter, the light turned Green and we were allowed to proceed. To me it looked like they have made the system to detect and clear even the Non-Fastag vehicles that has paid the return fare, without any manual intervention. There was no physical scanning of the tickets in the toll booths. But surely there was a the camera adjacent to the counter (At about a metre height) focussing towards the number plates / lower part of the vehicles.
batman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 07:04   #2567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
But surely there was a the camera adjacent to the counter (At about a metre height) focussing towards the number plates / lower part of the vehicles.
Looks like they have integrated the ANPRS camera into the toll application. Great!

Illustration:
http://www.anpr.net
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 08:10   #2568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
On last 29th April, my Brother's family & I went for a drive from Chennai to Vellore in his car which is not Fastag enabled, as we rarely take the car to highways. Since we had to return on the same day, we took return tickets in the two toll booths on the way; I noticed in the tickets, unlike earlier days, the complete Registration number was printed; There is no way the person in the counter could type in the complete number in such a short span of time. To me it looked like they have made the system to detect and clear even the Non-Fastag vehicles that has paid the return fare, without any manual intervention. There was no physical scanning of the tickets in the toll booths. But surely there was a the camera adjacent to the counter (At about a metre height) focussing towards the number plates / lower part of the vehicles.
At least the system of registration number input automatically was present from quite sometime in the toll booths around Bangalore. Even I used to get surprised how they would enter the registration number so quickly and issue the ticket. I got to see this action live in Hoskote toll booth when I had parked my car to get my Fastag. While crossing the lanes I could see the registration number being detected in most cases where the plate was of standard format and not some fancy font. Hence, my car number is always printed correctly since I have a clear font.

What was not experienced by me was the return journey detection through number plate. Since I have switched to FT, its been more than a year I paid cash toll at any NH. Hence I was not aware of this. But kudos to NHAI. They seem to be putting efforts. This will reduce crowd during weekends by moving the people with monthly/daily pass faster and reducing wait time.

Most of the Fastag issues are being ironed out now, except that the new policy of mandatory fastag is causing people to use the FT lane without balance and in one of the toll booths during my recent trip I was stuck for sometime since the car ahead did not have enough balance and there was no manual operator in that lane. Hence, it was a bit annoying. But I crossed 8 toll booths totally, and just one had this hiccup. Rest were all smooth. Hence, the success rate has improved
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 16:37   #2569
BHPian

Apologies, if this has been asked before (I guess I'm a little late with getting this FasTag). If I already have a RFID tag for the BWSL in Mumbai, am I OK to stick the FastTag just below this one on the windscreen?
Old 9th May 2018, 17:11   #2570
BHPian

Completed couple of trips, one to Kodaikanal and next to Kolli Hills. During the entire drive, 60% of fast tag lane are occupied by non-fastag users and in all these lanes it was a manual scan rather than automatics.

This is observed mostly during the peak evening hours. Also the amount deduction SMS take its own sweet time to reach rather than immediate. Bizarrely, the time I crossed the toll both is the time when the SMS was received and not the actuals. Tag is ICICI issued.
Old 9th May 2018, 17:34   #2571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Also the amount deduction SMS take its own sweet time to reach rather than immediate. Bizarrely, the time I crossed the toll both is the time when the SMS was received and not the actuals. Tag is ICICI issued.
The SMS notification for amount deduction is never immediate. It is always after at least 20 minutes after passing the booth.

This is because the system at the booth doesn't check your balance to open the barricade. It checks for just one thing - Whether the tag is Valid or Blacklisted.

Once you pass the booth the NCPI system deducts the amount from your Fastag account.

If your amount goes to negative after the last deduction, the Tag status instantly goes to 'Blacklisted' and you won't be able to pass the next booth.

In your statement you will be able to notice a transaction time when your car passed the booth and another timestamp when the money was actually deducted.

I don't recollect getting an SMS immediately after passing any booth. Few booths make manual entry as well and they request in the back end and amount gets deducted.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 19:34   #2572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The SMS notification for amount deduction is never immediate. It is always after at least 20 minutes after passing the booth.
Yes, I usually get the notification after a minimum of 6 to 7 hours of crossing the toll gate. I use PayTm tag. Apart from the amount deducted, SMS won't be having any other information about at which toll gate it got deducted. Details can be seen only through PayTM passbook that too after the delay of 6 hours.

There are instances in the past when we entered another state and stopped by the traffic police regarding the registration number we used show toll ticket to prove that we are travelers. I don't know how to convince the policeman with this dead delayed system without having any proof of the border crossing handy.
ThilakNex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 20:39   #2573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThilakNex View Post
Yes, I usually get the notification after a minimum of 6 to 7 hours of crossing the toll gate. I use PayTm tag. Apart from the amount deducted, SMS won't be having any other information about at which toll gate it got deducted. Details can be seen only through PayTM passbook that too after the delay of 6 hours
Surprised if this is the case (with PayTM). I have experience of just ICICI in my car and then Equitas on a friend's car. The SMS notifications were more or less received in 20m after passing the booth and with details of the time you passed.

At times when I haven't received, I have logged into the site and checked and it's right there hinting that some other reason caused non delivery of text message there.
Old 10th May 2018, 11:03   #2574
BHPian

Recently started facing issues in FasTag in E-City toll while coming from Hosur to Bangalore. FasTag didnt work in my car and i had to pay the full toll and it worked well while going from Bangalore to hosur. Anyone faced this issue?
Old 10th May 2018, 14:28   #2575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Surprised if this is the case (with PayTM).
Just to cross verify I checked my phone to see the last message received from PayTm FastTag. To my surprise, it was on 17 Feb 2018 after which I have done multiple trips crossing the FasTag lanes. Probably they have given up sending the messages now.
Old 10th May 2018, 14:54   #2576
BHPian

Quote:
Probably they have given up sending the messages now.
I made a Bangalore - Thrissur - Bangalore round trip 2 weeks back. Out of the 16 toll payments done on both onward/return, I received only 3-4 SMSs. I'm on Paytm Fastag.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 15:10   #2577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I recently purchased one from Paytm. The site showed delivery time of 15-20 days but when tweeted, a person from Paytm called up, delivered and activated a tag next day and linked it to my Paytm wallet. I'll be using it tomorrow for the first time on my journey to Jaipur from Delhi. The buying experience was extremely smooth.
Had a terrific first experience with Fastag. Delhi to Jaipur sees 3 tolls. The first (Manesar) had 3 dedicated lanes. The entry to the lane had an automated boom barrier which prevented non-tag vehicles from entering. Slowed down near the barrier, it picked up the signal and off we went.

The second (Behror) and third (Kotputli) had 2 semi-lanes each which mean all vehicles enter the lane but tagged ones don't pay in cash. Didn't zip through but was definitely quicker.

Paytm SMSes are delayed though. The SMS came almost after 6-7 hours. Also, the tag was supposed to have Rs 150 as balance but it still charged the toll from my Paytm account. Upon inquiry, they said the tag balance is a reserve balance and will be used only if the Paytm account isn't funded.
Old 10th May 2018, 15:35   #2578
BHPian

Just in case it’s not known here, especially for members in Kerala. South Indian Bank has an online Fastag purchase facility on their portal.

I applied on Monday 07/05/2018 and the tag has been received today, though I currently don’t have access as I am away from home. Process was pretty straightforward, you just have to keep soft copies of PAN, AADHAR, Photo, RC and photos of front and side of the car ready while initiating application. The only issue is they did not send any SMS/e-mail regarding timeline for issue of the tag, I had to call up their customer care twice.
Old 10th May 2018, 17:36   #2579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Also, the tag was supposed to have Rs 150 as balance but it still charged the toll from my Paytm account. Upon inquiry, they said the tag balance is a reserve balance and will be used only if the Paytm account isn't funded.
This is the expected behavior of Paytm FasTag. I remember reading it on their website.

But 2 things to note:

- It's always risky to go ahead with having zero amount in wallet even though having 150 rs dedicated to fastTag. I had 0 in wallet 99 rs in the FT dedicated balance but the scanner showed it as blacklisted (Toll amount was 80).
- Recharge your wallet well ahead of the trip. Maybe at least 1 hour before you start the trip. It takes time for the PayTm wallet to transfer amount from regular balance to FT balance in case it has gone below 150 and you are at risk of getting marked as blacklisted.
Old 10th May 2018, 18:52   #2580
BHPian

Quote:
.. you are at risk of getting marked as blacklisted.
Thank you for the heads up. Initially, I was under the impression that I'll have to recharge the FT account separately. Hence I was curious as to why didn't it use the dedicated INR 150 balance.

You mentioned blacklisting. I assumed that if the balance is low, it will not let me pass and ask for cash payment. Is blacklisting different from that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks