Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2018, 20:57   #2446
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
There are two different parts to your query-

Though I never used the same. Ezpass, from the pic seems to be an active RFID device. Active RFID devices have its own power source (a small battery) with help of which it emits radio waves which are picked up toll booth sensors. This helps in having enhanced range. Draw back to this is that you need to change battery as and when it drains out.
Thanks for your detailed answer. TIL, that there are 2 different RFID systems - active and passive.

Regarding the battery power, I never had to replace my Ezpass tag for 5.5 years. That is a significantly long time and replacement can be ordered online. So, that really is a negligible issue. Failure of the BETL tags looks like a poor implementation or QC of the devices. Disheartening to know that it made active RFID systems a non-starter in other places.

Quote:
Second part of your query, the reason why we are unable to zip past through Fastag lanes is since there is authentication done on real time basis. Again, no idea about Ezpass, however similar systems in middle east nations, as per my friends doesn't check your account balance on real time basis

Meaning, you can still drive through even if your balance is nil. However, on doing that you are forced to pay fine next time you recharge.
Most US systems does real time authentication too. There are 2 options provided for this - load account manually or link account to a credit card and load automatically.

For manual load, the system will deduct amount immediately. System will flash a 'Low Balance/No Balance' message in the display placed in the toll lane if balance is insufficient. Drivers are instructed to go through and will be charged when you add amount to the account next time with a very small penalty. As most toll lanes in US don't have the boom barriers like our tolls, driver is not stuck for some toll worker to open the barrier.

For accounts linked to credit cards, it will just auto load the account or directly charge the credit card based on the amount. But not immediately, as the card had pre-auth done already, card will be charged later. This is expected behavior though as US credit card charges are generally done only periodically and not immediately.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 22nd March 2018 at 21:01.
Old 24th March 2018, 22:25   #2447
BHPian

Here is a video I found on Youtube about a reality check on FastTag.

Hope not everyone shares the same experience
navdeep.rana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 23:30   #2448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep.rana View Post

I whole heartedly agree with you Rana.

The vision of visionary is not implemented by implementers.

Hardships are aplenty, but this is not the case always. Fastags have made life simple for so many. It has saved so much time. Wish situation improves.

Last edited by ampere : 26th March 2018 at 09:14. Reason: typos fixed
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 06:08   #2449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep.rana View Post

The vision is good, but implementation could be better, but fastag is still a great step towards better future. We may take few more years to get there.

Fastag is helping large fleet operators to streamline their operations which may not be visible to the individual driver
Old 25th March 2018, 20:49   #2450
BHPian

I recently completed a Bangalore - Kurnool trip on NH44. There are 5 toll plazas in this route and my experience has been good and its improving. I keep using this highway regularly. Only problem is at Bagepalli, where the dedicated lane which used to work earlier has been closed and they are asking you to use the regular lane. So its no longer 'fast', just a cash less toll collection there. Its been like that for the last 6 months.
Old 26th March 2018, 07:06   #2451
Senior - BHPian

In case it wasn't well-known here: Federal Bank has also started distributing Fastags. Their microsite is here: https://netcfastag.federalbank.co.in/

Seems like they are focused only in Kerala at the moment.
Old 26th March 2018, 08:39   #2452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Only problem is at Bagepalli, where the dedicated lane which used to work earlier has been closed and they are asking you to use the regular lane. So its no longer 'fast', just a cash less toll collection there. Its been like that for the last 6 months.
I observed it too. When asked to get the handheld they feign about WiFi not working. Asked him to key in my car number in the FastTag application window on his screen and they said internet is not working. Happened both to and fro.

Has to be reported to FastTag team.
Old 26th March 2018, 09:30   #2453
BHPian

Been to a nexa showroom recently and I noticed that they have added 500₹ for fastTags to the final price of every car. Upon asking, they told that its now mandatory for a new car to roll out with a fastTag. Is it true?
Old 26th March 2018, 09:44   #2454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Been to a nexa showroom recently and I noticed that they have added 500₹ for fastTags to the final price of every car. Upon asking, they told that its now mandatory for a new car to roll out with a fastTag. Is it true?
You don't read newspapers or what?

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le19969724.ece

This has been the case since 1/12/2017.

And Rs. 500 is what most providers charge (150 tag cost + 200 refundable deposit + 150 initial balance, if I recall correctly).
Old 26th March 2018, 11:14   #2455
Senior - BHPian

Saw sign boards near Thoppur toll booth that Fastag is available there.
Old 26th March 2018, 17:29   #2456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Yes and make sure you get the tag details (user name and bank to which its linked etc.) before your delivery. Few of our TBhpians in this thread were complaining about not getting details of tag.
Old 26th March 2018, 17:31   #2457

After a lot of dillydallying I got the Fasttag on Jan 17th this year. I had to make a trip to Bidar via Hyderabad & back, and SBI was the only one who offered to five it to me instantly while the celebrity private banks needed a few working days for processing. It took me a total of around 40 mins on Jan 17th with the SBI agency & it was done.
Went from BLR to Bidar on 18th Jan, & returned on 20th. The whole journey had a toll of approximately Rs 1500 on NHAI + Nehru ORR in HYD.
But the Fasttag was a breeze all the way except one small incident while returning at a plaza between Zahirabad & HYD. The guy said Fasttag is not working and demanded cash after a wait of nearly 10 mins. I told him I don't have cash as I used it all up for recharging Fasttag and insisted on speaking to his manager. He just let me go. No handheld scanner also used. But strangely, I recieved an SMS about the toll being debited from my account within 15 mins. Which means the Fasttag scanner was working alright. Dont know what those guys were upto?
Old 28th March 2018, 15:01   #2458
BHPian

Are all toll booths (Except ones similar to NICE Road) supposed to accept Fastag payments ?

Couple of days ago one of the single lane tool booths of Nelamangala - Gorguntepalya section denied to accept Fastag saying they do not have scanners in any of these small booths. He also mentioned that Fastag is accepted only in the main tool booths (Gorguntepalya and Nelamangala).
Old 28th March 2018, 18:20   #2459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
He also mentioned that Fastag is accepted only in the main tool booths (Gorguntepalya and Nelamangala).
I Think this is true. The small booths from where you exit NICE and enter NBTL has no FASTag as many times whenever we have had drives with few friends, they have paid cash here due to absence of it. No hand-held scanners as well.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 18:39   #2460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajhiremath View Post
It took me a total of around 40 mins on Jan 17th with the SBI agency & it was done.
Went from BLR to Bidar on 18th Jan, & returned on 20th.
Which SBI branch did you approach in Hyderabad ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks