Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2018, 14:09   #2611
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
In India all good initiatives go down the drain with such poor implementation.
Completely agree. Most of the time some idiotic guy will be assigned to check the vehicle at barricade whos will be too busy reading newspaper or chit chatting with truck drivers somewhere else allowing all non-tagged vehicles to enter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercharlie View Post
Travelled to Chikamagalur and back from Bangalore last week. Excellent experience in the FASTag lanes at all the tolls. There was strict enforcement of no non FASTag vehicle in the FASTag lane. FASTag saved at least 30 to 45 min cumulatively each way on this trip.
Yes. Even I feel this stretch is the best example of proper implementation of Fastag, while Bengaluru - Chitradurga stretch is the worst one.
Old 15th May 2018, 17:15   #2612
BHPian

After a long thought process of whether to buy the tag or not, finally took the plunge and purchased the TAG last week.

Filled the online application with ICICI on 9th May, account was activated on 10th and received the tag today (15th of May). Quick Service by ICICI.
The customer service said it will take anywhere between 8 - 11 days. The dispatch status was also not to be seen anywhere when logged in, checked with them yesterday and they did not have a clue on when it will get dispatched. Don't know why the Customer service doesn't get updates on the TAG status.

Now have to try recharging and use it for my upcoming trip. Will post my experiences.
Old 15th May 2018, 19:47   #2613
BHPian

Thank you @NPV and @Gannu_1 for the responses - got it. One last query on this topic (though a little off-topic to this thread), is this toll booth and toll checks on this route I am taking? From Google maps, I guess I don't enter Coimbatore but scrape through it's outer bypass.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-palakkad_coimbatoire.jpg

I am taking a left near Royal Care Hospital and driving down 544 (Salem Kochi Highway) to get to Palakkad.
Old 15th May 2018, 22:00   #2614
BHPian

I found that the ETC lane at Paliyakkara, Thrissur is managed very well - the guards making sure that the non-tag vehicles coming near the ETC lane are kept well clear, ensuring no unruly behavior happens.

bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 15:52   #2615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThilakNex View Post
Yes. Even I feel this stretch is the best example of proper implementation of Fastag, while Bengaluru - Chitradurga stretch is the worst one.
Incidentally, I both these routes happen to be very regular to me whenever I am driving to Belur or Pune.

I have mostly had negative experience with the booths between Nelemangala and Hassan more number of times than the one on Pune highway.

The consistently good booth on Hassan route that has implemented FASTag properly is only Bellur Cross booth. The rest of the 3 are plain hopeless or should I say inconsistent. So much so that at the Kirisave toll plaza managed by L&T, I had to get down, walk up to their 2nd floor office and meet the manager because of non functional fastag lanes!

Just last month on a Saturday evening on my way to Chikmagalur with my parents, at the same booth I had to get into an argument with the booth staff. There was a Duster waiting on the FASTag lane, and I stopped behind him but there was no action for next 3-4 minutes. By then another Duster (Thankfully with a tag too) parked behind me.

So I get down and ask the guard who says that the FASTag system wasn't working and asks us to take the next lane. I was very particular of this booth for the way they have been managing FASTag that I insisted that we all 3 will pass from the same booth no matter what. I showed him the Dashcam and said I am capturing all this. Somehow, in the next 2 minutes an employee comes running, gets into the booth, and signals with his hands to the guard to remove the cone.

All 3 were let in, all 3 cars passed the booth with a valid Tag and I also received a text from ICICI on the deduction - So their damn system was working!

Few months before, I and another BHPian Audioholic went for a breakfast ride and on return the Nelamangala (Devihalli)booth had closed the FASTag lane and only after both of us raised our voices, we were let is (He was on Bike while I was in my car).

Now the good thing about the booths beyond Hiriyur - (1) Chalageri and (2) Hebbalu is that all lanes here are Hybrid with dedicated lane completely shut down. I for one will prefer this than a deciated lane given the fact that most trucks are always equipped with FASTag.

Personally, I would say the implementation of FASTag on the Hassan Bangalore highway is more inconsistent than the Pune highway (Limited to booths within Karnataka).

One of the many such instances of poor implementation on Hassan highway:

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-dniuw2mueaajj0i.jpg

If its good, we are only lucky to have traveled through the right booth at the right time - And what is the right time; Well, someone tell me the secret with which these tolls operate at their whims and fancies!

And regarding that Parle Factory (Or NBTL) booth - The lesser we talk the better. The Manager of this booth had made a statement few months back that all lanes are Hybrid and funnily when I returned from Belur last month, even the dedicated FASTag lane was using hand-held scanner!

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th May 2018 at 15:54.
Old 16th May 2018, 17:17   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So much so that at the Kirisave toll plaza managed by L&T, I had to get down, walk up to their 2nd floor office and meet the manager because of non functional fastag lanes!
Sad to know this. I never had a bad experience on this stretch during my last 2 drives.
Just asking out of curiosity, even if you take it to the manager (if at all he is present at toll booth) and he chooses to ignore you by just telling some or the other issue, what action can be taken by us which really works? I feel these guys are immune to all the threats(in a positive way of course). Just for an example (not related to Fastag though) I ride on Electronic city flyover daily and I see they have made 3 dedicated lanes for 2 wheelers and most of the times during 10 pm they will open only 1 and the riders need to wait in a long long queue. When asked about this they just choose to ignore by not even responding. They know it better that the person waiting behind you won't let you much time to argue.
Old 16th May 2018, 17:20   #2617
BHPian

So I called up ICICI bank executive, he asked me to make a payment to their pool account and collected the documents. He will deliver the card by tomorrow.
Old 16th May 2018, 20:26   #2618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThilakNex View Post
Just asking out of curiosity, even if you take it to the manager (if at all he is present at toll booth) and he chooses to ignore you by just telling some or the other issue, what action can be taken by us which really works?
I recollect this day as I wished the Manager a Happy Ayudha Pooja/Dasara as I was driving back from Chikmagalur to Bangalore.

When I asked the guard why the Fastag lane was closed he said he doesn't know and said 'manager hatra mathaadi (talk to the manager)' and since I was alone and was in no hurry, I parked after paying cash and walked to the building. On a festive day he was still present in his chamber and we spoke for less than 5 mins before I shook hands, exchanged greetings and I walked down.

He only said there was some 'problem' and said from next month all lanes will be Hybrid.
As of today, most lanes here are Hybrid but what was surprising was during last month again they had shut down the Fastag lane that suddenly worked after 3 car owners including me decided to not give in and surpsingly so, it worked!
Quote:
Just for an example (not related to Fastag though) I ride on Electronic city flyover daily and I see they have made 3 dedicated lanes for 2 wheelers and most of the times during 10 pm they will open only 1 and the riders need to wait in a long long queue. When asked about this they just choose to ignore by not even responding. They know it better that the person waiting behind you won't let you much time to argue.
Off late I don't take BETL daily but each time I decide to go to work, I do take it. In fact, I have been taking it even when it was free when it was thrown opened for traffic way back in 2010 and have used all their tags - The Active RFID, the bar coded Passive RFID (in use now by most) before moving to FASTag.

The only issue with BETL I had faced was when my BETPL Tag balance went low and it didn't fall back and allow me via FASTag after which I removed the BETPL tag for good.
Old 17th May 2018, 10:23   #2619
BHPian

I have an XUV 500 and I think it comes factory fitted with some sort of a RFID sticker. Now I am getting my Fastag today. I hope it does not interfere with the Fastag while scanning at Tolls. Also which is the most convinient place to stick the Fastag in an XUV
Old 17th May 2018, 10:33   #2620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
I have an XUV 500 and I think it comes factory fitted with some sort of a RFID sticker. Now I am getting my Fastag today. I hope it does not interfere with the Fastag while scanning at Tolls. Also which is the most convinient place to stick the Fastag in an XUV
It won't interfere with the RFID. For placement you can either search few pages back or place it on the right had side of rear view mirror (facing the tag from inside) so it's easy for handheld scanning as well.
Old 17th May 2018, 18:04   #2621
BHPian

During my drive from Rohtak to Navi Mumbai, FASTag proved to be very useful. It didn't work at some of the Toll Booths but since I didn't want to waste my time, I did not get into any argument w/ the Booth Op.

Below are the tolls collected at Various locations.
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-capture.jpg

My FASTag was provided by my Dealer & it is affliated w/ Axis Bank.
Post login, the Website seems pretty naive but does the job for me.
Old 17th May 2018, 20:30   #2622
BHPian

one more query. I have a front windshield film installed. Should i stick the fastag on it. Will it be scanned ?? Any experiences, please share.
Old 17th May 2018, 20:31   #2623
BHPian

Just reporting how quick and efficient Equitas seems to be (touchwood) - could be useful for anyone on the fence thinking to purchase as well.

Have a Bangalore - Palakkad drive coming up this weekend, so it dawned to me last Monday why not I have a FASTag - then began my hunt to find out more about this and was surprised so many banks provide this (till then I thought only ICICI, Axis & HDFC were providing). Went through almost 5-6 dedicated micro-sites (ICICI, Axis, HDFC, Paytm, South Indian Bank, Equitas) and their FAQs (interestingly almost all of their FAQs look the same like a copy/paste from somewhere).

Next step, tried calling the toll free numbers to find how soon they can deliver.
Paytm - call center was quick to connect but said it will take 15 business days and I need to purchase from the Paytm Mall. No offline options available.
ICICI - call center person seemed knowledgeable. Online he said will take 10 business days or I could walk into their branch near Bomanhalli with the vehicle RC, Passport Snap and KYC and get it in 1-2 days.
Equitas - Waited for a while on their toll free and finally after connecting - was given another toll free to call too. The new toll free didn't connect - just gave up.
HDFC - They seem to have the most lousy call center - didn't seem like they want a new customer either. Just standard answers and it will take 10-12 business days to get it. When asked about offline - got a funny answer, "yes sir you can get from HDFC branch but we don't know which branch you can get". Later called my relationship manager and found that only Richmond Road branch has it and he gave me a contact number.

After this, I almost lost hope that I can get a FASTag in the next 3-4 days but I read here in some posts earlier (read almost 20-25 earlier pages on this thread) Equitas was the most effiecient and quick to deliver, also some issues with SMS (like Paytm that takes 6hrs to send a deduct SMS) was not there in Equitas. So thought, let me take a shot - what do I loose, either it comes before the weekend or sometime later.
14/05/2018 (Monday) 10:15pm - filled the application on their website. Uploaded a snap of the RC copy and paid Rs.568.74 (which included Joining Fee - 200, Security Deposit - 200, Initial Load to FASTag -100).
15/05/2018 (Tuesday) 10:42am - Application got approved.
15/05/2018 (Tuesday) 6pm - the new tag is couried
16/05/2018 (Wednesday) 9am - get an SMS with the Bluedart tracking number for the courier, when I check the status - pleasantly suprised that it left the BIAL hub already.
16/05/2018 (Wednesday) 1pm - Courier with the new tag is delivered.

So, net-net it took about 39 hours from the time I applied to the time I had the tag in my hand - all this time sitting at home

Will update after the trip on how my first experience goes with FASTag.
jasonblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 20:36   #2624
BHPian

Quote:
one more query. I have a front windshield film installed. Should i stick the fastag on it. Will it be scanned ?? Any experiences, please share.
Same situation here. i have stuck it on the film. Done around 14k in this manner. Doesn't cause issues while scanning.

Quote:
So at Hattargi toll plaza my FasTag did not work. One guy stepped out the tool both and covered the factory provided tag of the car with his hand, while another guy scanned the FasTag with the gun. I was skeptical of this working but it did! Learning here is to keep the FasTag as far away from any other tags as possible!
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 05:12   #2625
BHPian

So that means i need to put the fastag near the drivers corner as the factory fitted one is near the passenger.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks