Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2021, 14:02   #5656
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_lone View Post
Does it mean an amount will always be blocked form PAYTM wallet in a separate Fastag Sub-wallet. I thought there was no need to have separate wallet balance in Paytm Fastags.
Usually that amount is covered in the initial payment while buying the fastag (Security deposit, Fastag balance, Tag fare)
Its blocked for reserve purposes i.e, if your paytm balance is lower than toll fare, this fastag balance would be used. And later, when you recharge the wallet, the previous deduction would be covered and the fastag balance would be full again.

Quote:
Note that FASTag can be used for toll payments only after 45 mins of adding money to the Paytm Wallet.
Anybody faced issues with this ?
Oh, its 45mins now? IIRC, it took about 2 hours to reflect.
I once went into the tool booth without sufficient balance. I recharged the wallet then and there (Money got deducted from bank too). But the paytm fastag wallet did not show that. It got reflected about an hour later. I ended up paying double the toll fare by cash.
Old 2nd April 2021, 19:08   #5657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bentley View Post
Usually that amount is covered in the initial payment while buying the fastag (Security deposit, Fastag balance, Tag fare)
Its blocked for reserve purposes i.e, if your paytm balance is lower than toll fare, this fastag balance would be used. And later, when you recharge the wallet, the previous deduction would be covered and the fastag balance would be full again.
Thanks for clearing this out. I've another question. Can I use same wallet for Two FasTags for two different cars. I've a Honda City & Maruti Alto. I want to use same PAYTM Wallet for both.

What would be the process if you know how to go about it ??

Quote:
I once went into the tool booth without sufficient balance. I recharged the wallet then and there (Money got deducted from bank too). But the paytm fastag wallet did not show that. It got reflected about an hour later. I ended up paying double the toll fare by cash.
Old 4th April 2021, 07:50   #5658
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't PAytm have a UPI recharge option. Every time i recharge my ICICI Bank Fastag using UPI the amount gets reflected almost immediately in the next 2 mins. Not once have i faced any delay in getting the tag recharged using UPI
Old 4th April 2021, 12:21   #5659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_lone View Post
I want to use same PAYTM Wallet for both.

What would be the process if you know how to go about it ??
We can have and manage 2 fastags with same paytm account. Just register for the second car using the same account. You can even use money from same paytm wallet, but fastag reserve wallet (Rs. 250?) would be different for the two cars though. So you'll end up with 1 paytm wallet, 2 paytm fastag (reserve) wallets.

Simply put, if you keep enough balance in paytm wallet, the toll payment process would be seamless - no need to recharge the fastags of two cars separately, just keep enough money in paytm wallet to pay tolls in the route, irrespective of the car you're using!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
Doesn't PAytm have a UPI recharge option. Every time i recharge my ICICI Bank Fastag using UPI the amount gets reflected almost immediately in the next 2 mins. Not once have i faced any delay in getting the tag recharged using UPI
Tag will get recharged immediately after payment. Technically, its the paytm wallet that got recharged. But it takes more time for toll plazas to be able to read the updated balance and apply it for paying toll.
As I mentioned, when I recharged the wallet on the spot, balance did get updated. I could even see the updated paytm wallet balance. Yet, scanning the tag showed insufficient balance. I got the toll recharge confirmation message quite sometime later (after about 2hours).
Mr.Bentley is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 12:53   #5660
BHPian

Quote:
Tag will get recharged immediately after payment. Technically, its the paytm wallet that got recharged. But it takes more time for toll plazas to be able to read the updated balance and apply it for paying toll.
As I mentioned, when I recharged the wallet on the spot, balance did get updated. I could even see the updated paytm wallet balance. Yet, scanning the tag showed insufficient balance. I got the toll recharge confirmation message quite sometime later (after about 2hours).
Interesting. This is something i did not know about. And thanks for pointing this out as this then seems something which needs to be planned in advance. No fault of toll booth operator in which case and no wonder there are delays / fights in toll booths when such low balance events occur. I was always under the impression that it is instant.

So -
1. You pay double the toll even though you have recharged and are technically not having low balance
2. There is no point in recharging once the toll plaza is in sight and you suddenly remember that you have low balance. As there is a time period involved from the time you recharge and toll plaza getting the update. Might as well get in the cash lane (if one exists) or pay double and move on in life

Sounds more like Dumbtag. I hope they'll take up and resolve this issue when they upgrade to GPS tracking which is a separate thread in itself.
Old 15th April 2021, 15:38   #5661
BHPian

Hello Everyone,
I have a strange issue with my Fastag. I have been an early adopter of ICICI BANK Fastag and pretty much didnt have any issues until lately. I shifted from Bangalore to Chennai in Oct2019 and even re-registered my car to TN-14 plate in March2020, ya just a week before full lockdown. I got the new RC Book and also updated the registration details in my Fastag account using the RC Book. My personal Fastag login page shows my new TN regn plates.

However what i have observed is that when i use my Fastag, some toll plazas show my TN Regn plate in the display and some show KA plate. Most of the times there are no issues. But sometimes when it shows KA plate the toll booth attendant ask me the reason for discrepancy of regn plate attached in car vs the data shown in his display. I explain that its because of re-registered vehicle. Sometimes they dont make any issue and allow me the pass through, but on few occassions I do end up in an argument and login into my ICICI BANK Fastag login account and show him the updated details. Now i dont know the pattern where the tag is read as KA, but couple of times it has happened in L&T maintained sections.

Any reason why some toll booth still display my Old KA regn plate and how do i address the same? I couldnt find much information in Fastag login page. Any help from fellow users is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 15:53   #5662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Any reason why some toll booth still display my Old KA regn plate and how do i address the same?
Are the toll booths that show outdated info one's that you had crossed in the past when you were sporting the KA number?

And did it happen more than once at the same toll booth?
Old 15th April 2021, 16:05   #5663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Are the toll booths that show outdated info one's that you had crossed in the past when you were sporting the KA number?

And did it happen more than once at the same toll booth?
To answer first question: Yes i have crossed the toll booths multiple times in the past with my KA number. Pallikonda toll booth is an example where this has happened. As recently as 2 weeks back i crossed with my new TN number and was stopped by booth personnel and had to show my fastag login to prove that the car is re-registered.

Second Question: Yes at the same Pallikonda Toll plaza it has happened multiple times.

Another example is Electronic City toll booth towards Chennai from Bangalore. It showed KA plate but no one stopped me.
I remember seeing TN plate when i crossed Attibele toll booth.

I have been using this same car with KA and TN plate on this same route for past 6 years.
Old 15th April 2021, 16:41   #5664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However what i have observed is that when i use my Fastag, some toll plazas show my TN Regn plate in the display and some show KA plate. ...
Not exactly the same issue as you, but I have noticed this as well. My Paytm Fastag was mapped to my VIN number when my car was new and I got the registration number updated later, however some toll's still display the VIN number similar to your experience.

I am impressed by the fact that the toll attendants are actually checking the number on the tag and the vehicle .

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 15th April 2021 at 16:42.
Old 15th April 2021, 17:30   #5665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To answer first question: Yes i have crossed the toll booths multiple times in the past with my KA number.

Second Question: Yes at the same Pallikonda Toll plaza it has happened multiple times.
So as per documentation published by NPCI regarding Fastag implementation - it is the responsibility of the bank issuing the tag to populate and update the master vehicle list database. From what you describe, your issuing bank (ICICI) has done this part just fine.

Each time a vehicle's tag is read, the toll booth system is supposed to query this database and connect a tag ID to a vehicle registration.

So my hypothesis is that the software used at the toll booth end caches this information (after all, tag ID-vehicle registration mapping is not something they expect to change very frequently). At the offending toll booths this cache is not managed properly - cache eviction / refresh is not implemented correctly. Therefore when you cross these toll booths, your specific mapping is fetched from the cache which still contains stale information from the days you were using the KA number. Instead of evicting that info from the cache after a period and re-fetching it from NPCI.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 12:58   #5666
BHPian

Need help on the following:

a) I sold my (only) car to a friend, it has a ICICI Fastag on my name. Can I just transfer the tag number to the new owner's account and can he retain the tag as is on the car windshield or should he get a new tag afresh?

b) I am buying a used vehicle registered on comapny name and will be registered in my name shortly, this company has a ICICI Fastag account with 3 or 4 vehicles tagged to this account. What is the best way to tag the vehicle in my name in Fastag account and continue with existing tag on the vehicle if possible?
Old 16th April 2021, 14:00   #5667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
So as per documentation published by NPCI regarding Fastag implementation - it is the responsibility of the bank issuing the tag to populate and update the master vehicle list database. From what you describe, your issuing bank (ICICI) has done this part just fine.

Each time a vehicle's tag is read, the toll booth system is supposed to query this database and connect a tag ID to a vehicle registration.

So my hypothesis is that the software used at the toll booth end caches this information (after all, tag ID-vehicle registration mapping is not something they expect to change very frequently). At the offending toll booths this cache is not managed properly - cache eviction / refresh is not implemented correctly. Therefore when you cross these toll booths, your specific mapping is fetched from the cache which still contains stale information from the days you were using the KA number. Instead of evicting that info from the cache after a period and re-fetching it from NPCI.
Thats a detailed hypothesis, thanks for the same. Yes even i believe its got to do something about not flushing the cache. But the base issue wont get resolved. One alternative would be to exhaust the fastag balance and get a new tag or get a new tag and transfer the balance to it.
Old 16th April 2021, 14:28   #5668
BHPian

Quick question on new cars getting fastag. Can a consuner chose the fasttag provider at the time of procuring the new car or you are locked with what you get?

I might be changing my car soon and have a paytm fastag which I am very satisfied with. I would want to have a Paytm one again for my new car. Do I have options?
Old 16th April 2021, 19:05   #5669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Need help on the following:

a) I sold my (only) car to a friend, it has a ICICI Fastag on my name. Can I just transfer the tag number to the new owner's account and can he retain the tag as is on the car windshield or should he get a new tag afresh?

b) I am buying a used vehicle registered on comapny name and will be registered in my name shortly, this company has a ICICI Fastag account with 3 or 4 vehicles tagged to this account. What is the best way to tag the vehicle in my name in Fastag account and continue with existing tag on the vehicle if possible?
I am using PayTM fastag, in that if both of them are using PayTM, you can transfer the tag registration from one user to the other. I believe ICICI would be also offering the same.
Old 16th April 2021, 22:47   #5670
BHPian

Dear BHPians

Facing an issue with our SBI Fastag. We are ppl who rarely use the highways even in normal times, let alone during a pandemic.
However, I need to go out of town tomorrow (from Chennai till Erode) for some personal stuff.

I am unable to recharge our SBI Fastag as it says 'Limited KYC account'. The customer service agent says it will take 7 working days to verify the KYC details and told me to pay cash instead for my trip.

Are toll plazas in TN still taking cash in April 2021? All news articles say February 15th was the last day for cash...Please advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks