Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 14:36   #4156
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
Here are the pics for the reference, showing the position of the tags. The tag gets detected automatically everytime.
General guidance available (including Maruti's pdf on this) on pasting the Fastag, clearly mention avoiding the ceramic frit on the windshield and pasting it beside or below the frit, no worries since you say it's working fine
Old 9th December 2019, 15:05   #4157
BHPian

I am seeing a lot of "Pending" transactions, while my main PayTM balance is way above than what is required to clear the balance out.
Also the so called "reserved" amount is stuck at INR 85 (and not 150).
I have reached out to PayTM but it seems no one looks after their official Twitter account. Any Idea?

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-png-image.png
Old 9th December 2019, 15:36   #4158
BHPian

Traveled over the weekend realized that you end up paying more if you use Fastag instead of Cash.
Just got a new Fastag and decided to try it out was excited that i will be able to cross the toll plaza faster but the joy was short lived when i reached the Toll Booth on the Mumbai Pune Expressway. There was a long Que of vehicles ahead. Finally crossed the Toll booth pointed out my Fastag, the barrier opened and the operator let me pass through. That was great but the joy was short lived when i received a msg saying that Rs 173/- has been charged instead of Rs 138/-. On my return Journey used cash and saved Rs 35/-.
Now imagine the no of people travelling to Lonavala for a weekend or everyday multiply that no by 35 and see the excess amount collected in the name of digital payments.
Similar was the with my friend who was travelling to Lonavala from Mumbai same day. There is no point in going and arguing with them over Rs 35/- which they will never return.
Disadvantages of using a Fastag. The operators rig the machine so you end up paying more. Pay cash and they are happy to let you pass at the official lower Rate
architkarpe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 16:15   #4159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architkarpe View Post
Traveled over the weekend realized that you end up paying more if you use Fastag instead of Cash.
Just got a new Fastag and decided to try it out was excited that i will be able to cross the toll plaza faster but the joy was short lived when i reached the Toll Booth on the Mumbai Pune Expressway. There was a long Que of vehicles ahead. Finally crossed the Toll booth pointed out my Fastag, the barrier opened and the operator let me pass through. That was great but the joy was short lived when i received a msg saying that Rs 173/- has been charged instead of Rs 138/-. On my return Journey used cash and saved Rs 35/-.
Now imagine the no of people travelling to Lonavala for a weekend or everyday multiply that no by 35 and see the excess amount collected in the name of digital payments.
Similar was the with my friend who was travelling to Lonavala from Mumbai same day. There is no point in going and arguing with them over Rs 35/- which they will never return.
Disadvantages of using a Fastag. The operators rig the machine so you end up paying more. Pay cash and they are happy to let you pass at the official lower Rate
Please lodge a ticket with the Bank associated with your Fastag through their portal to get the excess amount refunded. While it is a small sum and not going to make a difference, we should should still insist so that the system gets fixed.

While we can give benefit of doubt and treat these as teething issues, I hope these issues are sorted quickly before the Public rebels and the whole thing flops badly.
risga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 17:45   #4160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architkarpe View Post
I'm in the same boat and experienced debit at entry & exit plaza as well on Mumbai-Nasik Highway. I was charged double for the same stretch.

I've initiated a ticket at ICICI fastag web portal and it's been almost a week but there is no response yet.

So now I'm also thinking of using cash mode instead of fastag on my next highway trip.
yoscenario2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 19:45   #4161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post
Hello Everyone,

How many people have the HDFC fast tag? I had it pre-installed in my Amaze when i got it this Feb. It worked well, for one of my trips. Recently it did not work twice. The toll person said its blacklisted or there's no recharge (I always have recharge).

The HDFC customer care numbers don't work, sent email, no response. By far the most pathetic service i have encountered. Anyhow, question is can i replace the existing Fast tag with a new one? Lot of banks are providing it. Is that possible ? And can anyone recommend good working ones with credible support systems? And what happens to some recharge that i have in the current account?

Regards,
Devyaani.
I'd suggest ICICI I had the ICICI for my previous car and they had good customer care and their website was also easy to use and never faced an issue of tag not reading or any other technical issue.

I am using the SBI tag right now and as far as technical issues goes I haven't faced any with the tag, but if you end up having to replace/ interact with the cc for anything else it can turn out to be quite a daunting experience. So I'd never suggest them to anyone.

Next, I have also registered and received the Equitas bank tag, so far this was the easiest to apply for and finish off the registration process with the least work, but I haven't used their tags yet so can't comment on that, their Fastag portal seems to be the most well built so far I feel, and the option to "Replace Tag" is a lifesaver in case you need to replace your existing tag due to any technical issue or damage. AFAIK there were a few members here who had used this option and got their replacement tags quickly.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 20:15   #4162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I think this is a bad choice of place to stick a Fastag. I avoided that spot and stuck at place that gives clear visibility. Even though it got detected how were you sure that it would 'even' get detected behind that meshed part of the windshield? Problem once affixed you can't remove the Fastag and re-stick again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
General guidance available (including Maruti's pdf on this) on pasting the Fastag, clearly mention avoiding the ceramic frit on the windshield and pasting it beside or below the frit, no worries since you say it's working fine
Yes, I pasted it there because I knew it would work, keeping in mind the working of the RFID signals, the only way to block the reader from reading the tag is to wrap the tag in a metallic sheet.
The tag is working fine since August 2017.
Old 9th December 2019, 20:27   #4163
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
Yes, I pasted it there because I knew it would work, keeping in mind the working of the RFID signals, the only way to block the reader from reading the tag is to wrap the tag in a metallic sheet.
Possibly the reason for suggesting pasting the sticker below the frit is to make sure it is visible from outside so that toll plaza personnel can see that the tag is affixed. Also helps them locate the tag when using a handheld scanner.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 20:51   #4164
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I had a funny experience. I got the FasTag done for my 2 vehicles a year ago. However in this period I did not use the FasTag at all. One reason is that I actually travelled only once on the toll way in this period in one of these two vehicles, and on that occasion I simply used cash.
Then I sold off that vehicle and cancelled the FasTag also.
So then, I was left with only one FasTag pertaining to the other vehicle, which I never take onto the TollWay generally.
Now, I suddenly kept getting messages near the one year mark from the date of first purchase of the FasTag, that I was expected to “transact” on that FasTag else it would get deactivated. So I topped up a couple of hundred rupees in it. However, the FasTag suddenly “expired” and my account got blocked. And I couldn’t access it at all.
So I had to do a bit of yelling and re-submit my Proof of ID/ Address as a second time KYC in order to reactivate the FasTag. And I was told that merely “topping up” the account is not considered as a “valid” transaction, but only actual usage on the TollWay where the FasTag gets “debited” is considered as valid transaction for keeping the FasTag account alive.
This, to me, is weird.
Now, I have two cars. (I replaced the one I sold recently and whose FasTag I surrendered, with another vehicle which of course has its FasTag.)
One of the two vehicles, I may use occasionally on the Toll Ways, when I go say from BLR to Madras and back or similar.
The other vehicle, I would still very rarely take onto the big Highways and Tollways because that is more of a pure local use beater.
Now, if ever I wish to take that beater car onto the TollWays, and since I have a valid FasTag for that vehicle, with some balance in it, then, to me, it is completely incorrect on the part of the FasTag people to deactivate my account just because of my non usage for a year!
I am given to understand that from sometime in the near future there will simply NOT be any cash Toll booth on any highway. This also seems stupid and draconian in the light of the above issue pointed out. If for example, I am an extremely occasional user of the TollWay in one of my vehicles, and if in such case the FasTag of that vehicle gets deactivated, then I might as well NOT have a FasTag for that particular vehicle.
And in such a case, then oughtnt I to atleast be permitted to pay the Toll with cash on the off chance that I actually do take that said vehicle onto the TollWay? Say maybe once in 2 years or so?
I would value some pointers on this and would be happy to be corrected by more experienced people here, in case what I am saying above is wrong.
Please share inputs!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 20:54   #4165
BHPian

Finally, bought a SBI fastag for our Stingray from a point of sale of SBI fastags.

The required documents were:
1. A copy of RC.
2. A copy of aadhaar card (need not be the vehicle owner's aadhaar card).
3. A passport size photo of the person whose aadhaar is provided.
4. A copy of the same person's driving licence.
5. A softcopy of a photo of the vehicle (photo is taken by the person in-charge).

The total cost was Rs. 700/-. Thanks to Mr. Tharveesh (the person in-charge) for getting us the fastag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Now, I suddenly kept getting messages near the one year mark from the date of first purchase of the FasTag, that I was expected to “transact” on that FasTag else it would get deactivated. So I topped up a couple of hundred rupees in it. However, the FasTag suddenly “expired” and my account got blocked. And I couldn’t access it at all.
So I had to do a bit of yelling and re-submit my Proof of ID/ Address as a second time KYC in order to reactivate the FasTag. And I was told that merely “topping up” the account is not considered as a “valid” transaction, but only actual usage on the TollWay where the FasTag gets “debited” is considered as valid transaction for keeping the FasTag account alive.
This is so stupid from the side of the fastag provider. How can the fastag be deactivated? Which fastag do you use? And did you try calling the customer care?

@Mods: Sorry for my back to back posts. Something went wrong while quoting. Please merge if possible. Thanks.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th December 2019 at 21:35. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Old 9th December 2019, 21:12   #4166
BHPian

Hi friends,
I do have a fastag for a car of mine from icicibank. I did request an additional new tag for another car of mine, on the icicifastag website, uploading valid documents, for the same customer ID. Sine 20 days I have been trying to contact them on their customer care numbers, unfortunately, there is no response. Is there an email contact available, to lodge a complaint as there is no response fo my request.

Customer care numbers tried by me so far,
Old 9th December 2019, 22:00   #4167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manipal View Post
Sine 20 days I have been trying to contact them on their customer care numbers, unfortunately, there is no response. Is there an email contact available, to lodge a complaint as there is no response fo my request.
Same here. All of their customer care numbers are unreachable. I had registered for a fastag with ICICI on 23rd November, and it has still not been dispatched. Pathetic, to say the least.
Old 9th December 2019, 22:30   #4168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.iyer95 View Post
Same here. All of their customer care numbers are unreachable. I had registered for a fastag with ICICI on 23rd November, and it has still not been dispatched. Pathetic, to say the least.
Facing the same issue. I had registered for a fastag almost a month and half back with ICICI. The Fastag was never delivered to me and I got a message that I must request for a redispatch. I did the same almost a month back and yet there is no response from them. Their Customer service is no longer responsive. None of the customer care numbers work. I have no clue as to who I should get in touch with.
Old 10th December 2019, 00:02   #4169
Distinguished - BHPian

This is good news, however hope there is inbuilt mechanism to prevent any fraud.

Link

Quote:
Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has started a pilot project for using FASTags for parking purposes at Hyderabad Airport. The pilot project has been launched in two phases, the first being a controlled pilot testing, wherein only ICICI tags would be used. The second phase of pilot shall cover all other Issuer Bank tags. This has been done to ensure the benefits of FASTag beyond tolling. Conceptualised as FASTag 2.0, it covers parking payments, fuel payments, etc. After the success in Hyderabad, the project will be launched at Delhi airport. Other banks like SBI, Axis, HDFC & IDFC are also in talks with airports in Mumbai, Bangalore & few of the malls to launch FASTag 2.0.
Old 10th December 2019, 07:35   #4170
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

In continuation to my post and queries of last night, I took a drive in my beater car up and down this morning on the Electronic City Expressway. There is 600 Rupees lying in the FasTag attached to this vehicle. When I reached the exit point toll booth the barrier wouldn’t open. And I told those chaps that there was money in the FasTag and showed them my account. They opened the barrier for me. There was no corresponding debit on my FasTag. I came back on the TollWay and again there was no debit on my FasTag though on the return journey the barrier opened automatically.
Till now, which is one hour later, there is no SMS received by me about any debit on the Electronic City Expressway tolls. My balance is intact. Which now seems to me that I have actually used the Expressway this morning twice, for free.
This is weird. Can anyone share inputs?

Most Viewed