Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2019, 14:43   #4141
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
Have you put sunfilm on your windshield? If yes i wonder how it works. I have sunfilm on my windshield and have pasted tag below the black dots. Still waiting for tag to work flawlessly.
No, there is no sunfilm on my windshield. Here are the pics for the reference, showing the position of the tags. The tag gets detected automatically everytime.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-ft1.jpeg  

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-ft2.jpeg  

Vikalp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 15:32   #4142
BHPian

What is the idea behind security deposit that banks/ewallets are charging? They say the deposit amount will be refunded on tag closure, but why would I go for tag closure after I start using it?
Old 7th December 2019, 16:29   #4143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaurabh21 View Post
What is the idea behind security deposit that banks/ewallets are charging? They say the deposit amount will be refunded on tag closure, but why would I go for tag closure after I start using it?
When you sell your car you can close that tag account since each tag is tied to your registration no and chassis so you cannot transfer it to your new vehicle.

Guys with sunfilms on the windshield try tracing the fasttag in the area where you want to paste it and then cut out that patch and paste the fasttag directly on the glass.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 17:33   #4144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
No, there is no sunfilm on my windshield. Here are the pics for the reference, showing the position of the tags. The tag gets detected automatically everytime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post

Guys with sunfilms on the windshield try tracing the fasttag in the area where you want to paste it and then cut out that patch and paste the fasttag directly on the glass.
Looking at above examples i am coming to conclusion that in my case sunfilm is the culprit and will try to cut the portion or if needed completely remove the sunfilm so that tag works fine.

Just one questions how to cut the patch portion of tag size of the sunfilm? Can i do it at home or take to car to sunfilm installer?
Old 8th December 2019, 13:26   #4145
BHPian

Hi Guys, this is my first post here as a member of the forum. What better way to post than addressing/updating a query that a dear friend had posted for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Hi team, forwarding a query from a friend.

He was using SBI fastag till now. His windshield got cracked due to a stone throw and in the subsequent windshield replacement, he had to remove the fastag(got damaged in the process), applied for a replacement fastag and transfer of balance via SBI fastag agent. Gave all the necessary documents and the agent said that it needs to be sent to Delhi(no idea why) because it is a replacement tag request and it can take upto 2 weeks for activation of new tag and transfer of balance to new tag(meanwhile the agent gave him a new fastag and asked him not to stick it on the car until he receives the message that the new tag is activated). He is clueless as to what can be done now as he does highway travels very frequently.
Waiting for 2 weeks is fine but unfortunately the tag cannot be tracked as per the agent and he doesnt sound too sure when he says 2 weeks.

This agent was the person assigned by SBI customer care themselves when he called upon enquiring about the replacement tag and they said it cannot be done directly. Its been a week now, but still agent isnt too sure if it will be delivered within another weeks time.

So his query is, do he need to trust this guy because something feels off about the procedure he is saying, and can he now get a new fastag from ICICI/HDFC without closing the current replacement tag which is nowhere to be seen? Would this cause any problems or tag issues in the future because of the other account still being active/non suspended ?

Also, is there any way to track the process of the replacement tag and is this the actual process for getting a replacement tag or is he being taken for a ride?
So update on the situation is as such.
The SBI tag replacement procedure did indeed take 2 weeks. Exactly 2 weeks & 1-day post which the agent had sent the tag replacement request with sufficient documents I received an SMS from SBIETC stating that my account has been activated.
The message was a bit weird though, it processed the request as if it was a fresh registration even though it was for a tag replacement. The account password remained the same. The balance from the previous account did carry forward to the new tag (I had ~2k loaded on the tag as I travel a lot b/w Bangalore-Palakkad).
Post which I installed the tag the agent had given me much in advance and I was able to pass through the toll gates without any issues and I was receiving the debit messages on time to my phone number.

So to sum it up, if you happen to be in the situation of replacing your SBI fastag this is onw way to do it.
  • Call up the CC number (1033)
  • Ask for the nearby agent based on your pincode, the CC will provide contact details and address to the place.
  • Explain the situation to the agent and he/she will ask you to furnish a few documents for the reaplcement.

Documents as requested by the agent:
Passport Sized Photo. 1
RC copy 1
AADHAAR copy 1
PAN CARD copy 1 (This is not mandatory)

All copies need to be self-attested also write the registered mobile no and email ID (if available email ID)

Post the successful tag replacement I was charged Rs.300/- for the same. Now I do not know the norm on this. It seemed a bit high but I did not dwell too much into this as dealing with them is nothing short of a headache. No amount was deducted from my tag account for the procedure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Remove the brown backing, paste a transparent tape to cover the adhesive side completely. Paste another tape on the other side with few mm protruding out on all sides and experiment wherever you want.

I recently changed my Ertiga's windscreen and because I had my FASTag pasted employing the above method, I was easily be able to remove the tag, put it in my wallet and pasted it back on the newly replaced windshield!

If your worry is what if the tag falls off due to lack of adhesive, my car's tag was there till now for 3 years without losing its position. A good quality transparent tape will do the job.

EDIT: Adding an image for better understanding

Attachment 1934293
I need to thank @paragsachania a lot for this. I chose to follow this procedure with the SBI tag because I most certainly do not want to go through the same ordeal with dealing with the SBI team for replacing the tag again for whatever reason in the future. The Tag works like a charm. I did not have a single instance where the scanners did not pick up the tag.

Now while the uncertainty about the SBI tag was going on and not knowing if I'd ever get the new tag sorted out I did after much though decide to register and open a fastag account with Equitas bank as well, their procedure for registration and setting up the account is pretty smooth and all said and done I got the new tag in my hand within 5 days(Registered on Sunday) received tag on Friday.
The reason, why I decided to apply for the Equitas tag while my SBI tag was active, was because the Equita fastag website FAQ addresses this question and states that you can have 2 tags from different banks at the same time. I'll try and add a screenshot here after posting this.
I am yet to use the Equitas tag and see if both can be functional at the same time in real life, just waiting to finish up the balance on the SBI tag just in case something goes wrong.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 08:14   #4146
Senior - BHPian

Took a trip to Chennai-Kumbakonam-Chennai trip over the weekend, Fastag worked like a charm no problems at all.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 08:48   #4147
Senior - BHPian

Highways ministry urges RBI to exempt FASTags from KYC norm

NEW DELHI: The road transport and highways ministry has approached the Reserve Bank of India to exempt those acquiring FASTags from the 'know your customer' (KYC) norm. The ministry’s move is aimed at making immediate issuance of smart tags possible even near toll gates.

Source
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 10:02   #4148
BHPian

Has anyone ordered and received their fast tags from paytm? I ordered on the 3rd of december and it is still not dispatched. Have contacted them, awaiting reply.
Old 9th December 2019, 10:10   #4149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
Has anyone ordered and received their fast tags from paytm? I ordered on the 3rd of december and it is still not dispatched. Have contacted them, awaiting reply.
Its a mixed response from Paytm. While I got my Fastag from Paytm in little over a week, a friend of mine's took more than two and half weeks to arrive. Needless to say the orders are currently overflowing, I'd advise its best to have customer care involved to have it delivered to you at the earliest.

Cheers,
Vijay
vvijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 10:51   #4150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
Really amazed by reading your post. Which type of Fastag this man was carrying with him. I mean my tag never got detected automatically at any toll plaza while it is pasted on windshield and this man's tag got detected though it was kept in his pocket .
Not a clue since the newspaper report didn't mention the provider any name. Hope your issue get resolved before the man with tag in pocket figure a way to get the refund
Old 9th December 2019, 11:05   #4151
Senior - BHPian

Toll plaza fined 1 lakh for charging 40 from driver with pass

Source: Times of India
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-toi.jpg  

mukeshgoel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 12:29   #4152
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone provide the number of the Devanahalli KIAL airport toll operator please? Have an old number but I believe the concessionaire has changed now.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:39   #4153
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

How many people have the HDFC fast tag? I had it pre-installed in my Amaze when i got it this Feb. It worked well, for one of my trips. Recently it did not work twice. The toll person said its blacklisted or there's no recharge (I always have recharge).

The HDFC customer care numbers don't work, sent email, no response. By far the most pathetic service i have encountered. Anyhow, question is can i replace the existing Fast tag with a new one? Lot of banks are providing it. Is that possible ? And can anyone recommend good working ones with credible support systems? And what happens to some recharge that i have in the current account?

Regards,
Devyaani.
devyaaniverma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 13:27   #4154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess with some people saying this does not work, but it does work for you, it seems a bit of a trial and error process. What happens if one just does not bother to stick the tag on the windshield but just keeps it on the dashboard? Let the fellow come and scan it manually...? Or when approaching the scanner hold it up against the window or the windshield?
Old 9th December 2019, 14:12   #4155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this is a bad choice of place to stick a Fastag. I avoided that spot and stuck at place that gives clear visibility. Even though it got detected how were you sure that it would 'even' get detected behind that meshed part of the windshield? Problem once affixed you can't remove the Fastag and re-stick again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Highways ministry urges RBI to exempt FASTags from KYC norm

NEW DELHI: The road transport and highways ministry has approached the Reserve Bank of India to exempt those acquiring FASTags from the 'know your customer' (KYC) norm. The ministry’s move is aimed at making immediate issuance of smart tags possible even near toll gates.

Source
That's a retrograde move. Minimum things like an Aadhar and RC are mandatory, or they can de-link the RC and issue a common Fastag for a person to be used in multiple vehicles.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 9th December 2019 at 14:13.

Most Viewed