Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2020, 16:52   #4891
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

I had a bad experience with FastTag today at the toll plaza at Shamshabad just before the Hyderabad airport.
The barrier did not go up and the attendant at the plaza pointed to a screen where it said 'tag blacklisted'. I had enough balance in my tag but they didnt let me go without paying cash. So i paid the cash and reached airport and then received message that the toll got debited from my fasttag. So effectively i paid twice.

I called 1033 and the lady at that horrible noisy call center took my details and informed after 10minutes that i should have called there at the toll plaza itself then they could have helped. I told her it took nearly 10min for you to verify my details and say this, just imagine the number of cars who would be honking behind me at the toll plaza by this time. As per her, she says the process is like that only.
I called the icici helpline number then, i was put on hold for 5-6minutes. I gave up.

The amount is less, just 40rupees,but please let me know the right channel to take up such cases. Calling 1033 standing at a plaza with 50cars honking behind is not an option.

On my return journey I had no issues.The tag worked as expected. The balance is above 300. Was it a scam or a technical glitch?

Last edited by saion666 : 16th February 2020 at 17:00.
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 19:25   #4892
BHPian

A quick question for forum members, has anyone bought a tag from a toll plaza? What has the experience been like? Has it worked/failed?
Old 17th February 2020, 04:43   #4893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
I called the icici helpline number then, i was put on hold for 5-6minutes. I gave up.

On icici, you have to go to the fastag site and raise a dispute. They normally respond correctly but take about 10 days.

You will need the Trip ID and some other id (dont remember which one). For that, you will need to print your transactions report, download it and figure it out. Once you do it, the process works
Old 17th February 2020, 06:31   #4894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowlFlap View Post
A quick question for forum members, has anyone bought a tag from a toll plaza? What has the experience been like? Has it worked/failed?
Just got mine from the Bandra-Worli Sea link toll plaza last week.

Experience was pretty good. All in all, it takes about 20 mins (if there isn't a queue).
3-4 mins to fill up the form.
5-10 mins for the official to verify and input your details into the system.
Another 5 mins for the system to activate the tag , send a confirmation sms.

The forms are available at the counter. Just ensure to carry all the requisite docs (usually PAN/Aadhar/RC) and you'll be good to go.

Tag is working perfectly till date.
sidpunjabi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 09:38   #4895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
vivek95, had to make couple of trips to Mumbai this week and as expected, the tolls at Vashi are not accepting FasTag and they too replied what you were told - Work is in progress and will happen. Fingers crossed.

But one disadvantage for folks like me - I always break Rs 2000 or Rs 500 into change at the tolls and they are always obliging without any fuss. This will stop once the tags are accepted.
Mumbai update

I happened to drive twice ( as in a return drive) over the Bandra--Worli Sealink yesterday and although I saw the "ETC and Fastag" sign boards on the dedicated lanes, I entered the cash lane thinking that the NHAI Fastag would not be accepted. I asked the toll guy regarding this just to confirm and surprisingly he replied that the NHAI Fastag is very much enabled/accepted at the Sealink toll. Had I entered the dedicated 3 lanes marked for Fastag, it would have worked. Will try it next time.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 10:56   #4896
BHPian

So I used my FasTag for the first time yesterday, when I went to Mumbai airport from Pune, and back.

From what I understand, I should be paying 173 (Talegaon) + 57 (Khalapur) = 230.
And on the return journey, 173 (Khalapur) + 57 (Talegaon) = 230.
Apparently the system messed it up and I managed to save 57 !!!!
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-fastag.png

After seeing quite a few complaints (https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/pu...w/72627251.cms) about commuters being double charged, it is refreshing to be short charged !!

PS. The 3rd toll naka (Thane creek bridge?) does not accept FasTag yet. I had to pay 35 cash both times. When I asked when will they have the system activated, I was assured "soon"

Update:
Oh woe! My joy was short lived. The shortfall has been deducted.
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-fastag1.png
Check out the time stamp! I got it a few moments after I posted my original. Now I am 100% sure, Big Brother is watching me!

Last edited by RedTerrano : 17th February 2020 at 11:06.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 11:41   #4897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
Just got mine from the Bandra-Worli Sea link toll plaza last week.

Experience was pretty good. All in all, it takes about 20 mins (if there isn't a queue).
3-4 mins to fill up the form.
5-10 mins for the official to verify and input your details into the system.
Another 5 mins for the system to activate the tag , send a confirmation sms.

The forms are available at the counter. Just ensure to carry all the requisite docs (usually PAN/Aadhar/RC) and you'll be good to go.

Tag is working perfectly till date.
Thanks, sidpunjabi. Very tempted now to get mine from that toll plaza. Avoids all the online application hassle/uncertainty. All I need to do now is find a good time to not annoy my fellow travelers, some of whom may be reading this at this very moment .
Old 17th February 2020, 13:11   #4898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post

After seeing quite a few complaints (https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/pu...w/72627251.cms) about commuters being double charged, it is refreshing to be short charged !!
Strangely Mumbai--Pune Expressway is facing glitches since last few months. It was one of the very first highways in the country back in 2014 -15 or so to enable Fastag ( erstwhile ETC lanes ). I remember MSRTC Shivneri Volvo buses, VRL and Konduskar Volvos using "Fastag" back then and zipping through the toll plazas. It was smoothly functioning until recently. I myself have always had a seamless experience on the Expressway.

However, my friend drove my VW Polo from Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar two weeks back. At the Khalapur toll plaza he was told that the scanner is not working and hence he paid 230/- in cash. I was anxiously waiting what if the amount gets deducted from my Tag as well, at a later point of time. Thankfully, it has not all these days. On his way back to Mumbai, the Tag worked very well at both Talegaon and Khalapur toll plazas.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 13:20   #4899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowlFlap View Post
Thanks, sidpunjabi. Very tempted now to get mine from that toll plaza. Avoids all the online application hassle/uncertainty. All I need to do now is find a good time to not annoy my fellow travelers, some of whom may be reading this at this very moment .
Don't forget cheaper - only 1 orange note of Rs. 200 needed for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Strangely Mumbai--Pune Expressway is facing glitches since last few months.

He was told that the scanner is not working and hence he paid 230/- in cash.
Strange. I thought there was a ruling which said that cars won't be charged cash if there's a technical problem with the FASTag scanning equipment. Isn't that applicable here?

I'm travelling to Panchgani next weekend. I hope these wrinkles are ironed out by then.

Last edited by sidpunjabi : 17th February 2020 at 13:26.
sidpunjabi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 13:38   #4900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
Strange. I thought there was a ruling which said that cars won't be charged cash if there's a technical problem with the FASTag scanning equipment. Isn't that applicable here?
While NHAI agrees to this rule, NPCI says we still have to pay by cash.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 15:14   #4901
BHPian

Incidentally my car, had the FASTag affixed when I bought it in 2018. This was even before FASTag became mandatory. When I took it to home town it kept deducting the amount correctly. I did not get any messages on my cellphone and I was clueless. Two weeks later the dealer sent a guy to my house and told me that the FASTag affixed (AXIS bank) on my car belonged to someone else and they got messages each time I passed through the tolls. I felt sorry for the other guy and offered to pay but the dealer said I need not as it was their mistake and they will pay the other owner. Then they got the FASTag on my car removed. For the subsequent travels I paid by cash.

I will be traveling to my hometown in North Karnataka next week. Have the ICICI FASTag but yet to add money to my account. Planning to just stick the tag using cellophane tapes on left of rear view mirror and see how it goes - with my FASTag.

Has anyone traveled from Bangalore towards Hubli and how is your experience using the FASTag?

Old 17th February 2020, 19:52   #4902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post

Has anyone traveled from Bangalore towards Hubli and how is your experience using the FASTag?

Returned to Bangalore from Ranibennur yesterday, the fastag enabled tolls were smooth and quick, the lines for Cash payments were long.
Old 17th February 2020, 22:12   #4903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Mumbai update

I happened to drive twice ( as in a return drive) over the Bandra--Worli Sealink yesterday and although I saw the "ETC and Fastag" sign boards on the dedicated lanes. Had I entered the dedicated 3 lanes marked for Fastag, it would have worked. Will try it next time.
Yes, vivek95, The sealink has begun accepting FasTag for a while now but folks with FasTag & MEP tags are being deducted toll on each tag.
This has been described by member Tejas@perioimpl in post #4859 on page 324 about FasTag acceptance on the sealink.

Did a run to Thane passing Airoli & Mulund toll plazas and FasTag not accepted as of now.

For those keen, when you drive towards Airoli Toll plaza from Vashi side, before the bridge starts I saw a person on the left hand side selling PayTm FasTag with proper signage. This guy was among the various shops that sell helmets and sundry items.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 23:58   #4904
Lij
BHPian

Quint has done a quick report in Delhi as to why the Fastag implemention has still not helped in reducing the long queues at the toll booths.

Old 18th February 2020, 00:48   #4905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The ICICI fastag I got with my new car never gets read. Sometimes they check with the handheld scanner and the other times, they just let me go after entering the vehicle details and I get sms only a couple of days later.
Spoke to the customer care and they say I need to get the tag details updated at any toll plaza once for the tag to work properly. This is a first for me. Anyone heard about this update part before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
However, assuming what is told by them is truth, probably below may be your scenario.

The Tag is manufactured but the ID is probably not scanned and updated in the National Toll System.

So, You may need to enter the Tag ID and other details in one of the tolls manually once so that it gets stored in their Database. T
So, I drove from Bangalore to Trivandrum last Saturday. At Attibelle (the first toll), as usual, the tag didn't get recognized. I asked the attendant about updating the tag in their system and he said that has to be done by the bank and I'd have to pay by cash now. Since it was Saturday early morning, a queue had already formed behind me, so I just paid up and moved on. The ICICI and other bank kiosks selling the tags were also not open yet.

In none of the subsequent tolls, the tag got read automatically. But, I kept my mouth shut and they brought out their handheld reader and let me pass. I even got timely SMS and email from ICICI indicating the transaction.

So the problem seems to be with the newer batch of tags from ICICI. I will try to get a replacement tag on my way back if I spot any ICICI agent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks