Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 14:40   #4801
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //HB View Post
So - my 2nd trip using Fastag, and already I have been stuck with a wrong deduction. On the way from Pune to Mumbai on the expressway, I should be charged 173 + 57, but i was charged 173 + 173. [/b].
This is a Standard operating scamming procedure on Mumbai-Pune expressway. Have been scammed twice. By the time SMS is received, you are already half an hour further. The second time, it happened, the commercial cab in front of me was deducted 57 but it deducted 173 again from my Fastag. Seems all system play by the toll operators. Such a good initiative is being ruined by these greedy toll operators.
Now the SMS from ICICI bank have become erratic. I didn't receive it everytime Fastag was deducted.
Is there a way to download a statement of Fastag deductions?
bigwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 14:44   #4802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
What do you think of this situation? Was the lady wrong to forcefully allow vehicles to pass through, or should the authorities have realised the long toll queue and allowed vehicles to pass through.
What is the official stand on long toll queues? Are we allowed to pass without toll if waiting times are high?
This is not an isolated incident. It has happened countless times. Last year the then district collector intervened and opened the gates to clear the traffic. It then made headlines. Technically, the operators are supposed to open the gates and let off traffic if there are more than five vehicles waiting in the queue. But I'm yet to see this happen. They won't open the gates even if traffic is backed up for a km. Earlier, when the traffic gets really bad, police would intervene and open the gates. But there have been reports that the toll operators have moved against the police in court stating that they were interfering in their daily operation and making them incur losses. Since then police seldom act even if there are huge snarls. Non locals are employed as operators and supervisors specifically to not let the locals interfere. There have been violent clashes in the past and I've even seen a video of an operator smashing the windshield of an Amaze. The situation is only exacerbated because of the fact that as of January only 30-40% of the vehicles crossing the toll were using Fastags. That's why it was included in the list 60 or so toll plazas where the implementation was relaxed. Yesterday they started dividing the lanes almost a km ahead of the plaza using ropes and cones in an effort to segregate fastag users. Yet to see it's effect.
Countless petitions were moved in court against the toll plaza in the past few years, including the ones challenging the cancellation of concession given to locals after the implementation of fastag. But so far none of them have been fruitful. So it's safe to assume that the situation will remain more or less the same in the foreseeable future as the toll collection is stated to end only on 2027 or 2028. Talking about the lady, I guess the only reason the altercation didn't get out of hand was because she was a woman. I'm pretty sure the response from the operators would've been very different, if it had been a man.
Old 4th February 2020, 14:56   #4803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
By the time SMS is received, you are already half an hour further. --- Now the SMS from ICICI bank have become erratic
I'm using ICICI FasTag too, and yes I agree about the SMS service, it's pathetic. I got only 2 SMS the entire journey whereas toll was deducted at 6 toll booths.

Quote:
For benefit of those on the ICICI FasTAG system, here's how to access your account statement

1) Access the link https://fastaglogin.icicibank.com/ and click on the "CUSTOMER LOGIN" button
2) For first time users, you have to use the "REGISTER" link at the top right of the page, and create your profile (username password etc)

3) Once successfully registered, you can access statements via the menu option "STATEMENTS AND ACTIVITY"

4) Under the menu option "HELPDESK", you also have the option to raise disputes related to wrong charges deducted, recharge issues etc.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-fastag_icici.png  

Last edited by //HB : 4th February 2020 at 15:01.
//HB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 15:03   #4804
BHPian

Quote:
I guess the error MUST BE due to wrong TIME set on their computers / equipment used by them to record the toll. The Talegaon toll plaza records my time stamp as 00.57 (i.e. 12.57 AM, just after midnight), whereas I would have actually passed through there at 12.57 *PM*, i.e. just after noon.
High chance of Time setting being the issue. I had a similar issue at the Chennai Airport toll. As per the toll, there will be no charge if you pass the exit toll with in 11 minutes. There was a 2:30 Min difference in the actual time and the time at the exit gate. When I asked this difference, the response was that, they follow a standard time setting in both the entry and exit gate and I took more time to exit. Paid the toll and raised a complaint in their register. Also informed at the police station near the exit gate. As usual no response.

Quote:
Now the SMS from ICICI bank have become erratic. I didn't receive it everytime Fastag was deducted.
Quote:
I'm using ICICI FasTag too, and yes I agree about the SMS service, it's pathetic. I got only 2 SMS the entire journey whereas toll was deducted at 6 toll booths.

My recent drive taking a round tour had no issues with the ICICI Fastag and I was surprised to receive the SMS instantaneously. The deductions were also perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-ec54e156658441c78603943eb84a2108.jpeg  

Last edited by saisree : 4th February 2020 at 15:13.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 17:39   #4805
BHPian

Quote:
For benefit of those on the ICICI FasTAG system, here's how to access your account statement
1) Access the link https://fastaglogin.icicibank.com/ and click on the "CUSTOMER LOGIN" button
2) For first time users, you have to use the "REGISTER" link at the top right of the page, and create your profile (username password etc)
Somehow I'm not able to register myself in this application. It says OTP sent and I never receive it. I'm using ICICI Pockets app for my Fastag statements.
Old 4th February 2020, 17:50   #4806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
It says OTP sent and I never receive it. I'm using ICICI Pockets app for my Fastag statements.
The OTP would go to the same mobile number on which you get the alerts etc (i.e. the one registered at the time you bought the FasTAG). Atleast my registration was successful in the 1st attempt, give it a few tries
Old 4th February 2020, 18:29   #4807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is a Standard operating scamming procedure on Mumbai-Pune expressway. Have been scammed twice.
This is interesting, since I have used my ICICI Fastag in Pune - Mumbai Expressway sometime in 2017 and it was working fine.

Same issuing bank and same toll booth, but things have gone worse now.
Old 4th February 2020, 18:37   #4808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
Technically, the operators are supposed to open the gates and let off traffic if there are more than five vehicles waiting in the queue. But I'm yet to see this happen. They won't open the gates even if traffic is backed up for a km.
I’m yet to see any source for this belief other than questionable WhatsApp forward materials. Appreciate if anyone can link to an official rule which says so. I regularly see lot of drivers argue with toll clerks for one thing or other quoting WhatsApp messages.
Old 4th February 2020, 20:15   #4809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I’m yet to see any source for this belief other than questionable WhatsApp forward materials.
I don't know whether anyone had posted this here before. This is a reply given to Mr. Hariom Jindal by NHAI as per the RTI act. Now you've to consider that it is dated back in 2016. I'm not sure whether they've changed their policies since. Anyway, according to this reply, the time a vehicle has to spend in a queue is at most 2m 30s and time required for transaction is at most 30s. Which means a total of 3 mins. Now the document clearly states that if you've spent more than 3 mins in the queue, there is a provision to go through the toll free of charge citing 'mental agony'. While the provision exists on paper, whether it's followed or not is anyone's guess.
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-mainqimg6a98cbf77d66bd093bd7bfa7a322f749.png
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 22:06   #4810
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, according to this reply, the time a vehicle has to spend in a queue is at most 2m 30s and time required for transaction is at most 30s. Which means a total of 3 mins. Now the document clearly states that if you've spent more than 3 mins in the queue, there is a provision to go through the toll free of charge citing 'mental agony'.
This is possible only we have hardly three to four vehicles in the queue before you. Not a common sight for sure. To me, the queue is from the entry point of the actual toll booth bay and exit point. If you are with in this boundaries then the point stated above is valid and maintainable.
Old 5th February 2020, 00:32   #4811
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know whether anyone had posted this here before. This is a reply given to Mr. Hariom Jindal by NHAI as per the RTI act. Now you've to consider that it is dated back in 2016. I'm not sure whether they've changed their policies since. Anyway, according to this reply, the time a vehicle has to spend in a queue is at most 2m 30s and time required for transaction is at most 30s. Which means a total of 3 mins. Now the document clearly states that if you've spent more than 3 mins in the queue, there is a provision to go through the toll free of charge citing 'mental agony'. While the provision exists on paper, whether it's followed or not is anyone's guess.
This letter has been long debunked as fake or at best incorrectly replied. Another media company followed up with NHAI, they communicated there are no such rules.

I can’t vouch for the authenticity of below link but it’s very detailed.

https://factly.in/fact-check-3-minut...onal-highways/
Old 5th February 2020, 07:14   #4812
BANNED

Without comments.

https://www.news18.com/news/auto/gov...s-2486185.html
Old 5th February 2020, 08:18   #4813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Misleading headline.

Quote:
Gadkari said that while the wait time of cars with FASTags has reduced significantly, the hybrid lanes, where both cash and FASTags are accepted are witnessing an increased wait time.
If you have a Fastag, your wait time is down - as many people will vouch for with anecdotal evidence.
binand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 09:06   #4814
BHPian

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Thanks HB for the help. I downloaded the statement for the period in which I went to Mumbai and to my surprise, it shows only 1 transaction of 173 Here I was worried about the 173 being deducted twice but no money was deducted on return journey.
Unless they are doing some periodic reconciliation, not sure how they are going to recoup the loss.
Won't be raising this as a dispute for sure
bigwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 09:59   #4815
Senior - BHPian

This is purely my gut feeling. At least on BETL (Bangalore Elevated) highway I find that the number of FasTag users have increased. And this includes some good utility vehicles, yellow board taxis etc. Earlier the being a really "lucky man", I invariably used to land up behind 2-3 vehicles all demanding that they pay toll by cash. Now that has actually reduced to 1-0 vehicles. And this is actually saving at least 2-3 minutes of every body's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg
My solution would be to have a single lane of vehicles, equipped with a pre-scanner, approach the toll gates, reject the vehicles with invalid tags into the non-tag stream with a penalty loop to delay them by about 1 KM, by dropping them at an exit point that would be 1 KM behind the entry point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore
If there is no operator they don't care that they are delaying the others. They will simply stall their car right in the middle and block up the entire traffic behind them.
Agree with @Fillmore. Such a system was there in a few toll plazas (Attibele was one, if I remember correctly) but it failed as the drivers just barged into the FasTag lane. Attibele and BETL toll booths are two areas where I have seen people just itching to pick up a fight. The whole idea seems to prove one's machoness by threatening toll plaza staff and making many other vehicles in the queue. The standard "Yo...Yo..Yo" shouting matches are also common. The toll plazas in TN generally seems to be much more smoothly operated with every one generally minding their business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss
A lady got frustrated due to waiting at the toll for half an hour and so decided to open the boomgate and allow vehicles to pass through
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu
Technically, the operators are supposed to open the gates and let off traffic if there are more than five vehicles waiting in the queue.
Quote:
Countless petitions were moved in court against the toll plaza in the past few years, including the ones challenging the cancellation of concession given to locals after the implementation of fastag
Paliyekkara Toll seems to be a total mess, and from what I could make out every entity involved there have got some thing to hide. Other wise the problems would have got resolved long time back. Govt. of Kerala (not the current one only, even the previous ones) always say that they are "with the people" but so far has not been able to throw out the toll booth or the operator. NHAI is just keeping quite on the issue. The toll booth operators seems to have started collecting the toll even before finishing 70% of the work. But the way they are operating, looks like they have the muscle power & the legal power to collect the tolls. If countless petitions were moved in the court and all of them got thrown out, that means that legally their petitions did NOT have merit. To add to it, there is also very strong resistance to pay tolls in Kerala - even though every one expects first world country infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17
I’m yet to see any source for this belief other than questionable WhatsApp forward materials. Appreciate if anyone can link to an official rule which says so. I regularly see lot of drivers argue with toll clerks for one thing or other quoting WhatsApp messages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu
This is a reply given to Mr. Hariom Jindal by NHAI as per the RTI act. Now you've to consider that it is dated back in 2016
The link provided by @Yieldway17 is correct. I too remember reading a new notifcation which clearly said that there is nothing like a "wait for more than three minutes, don't pay a toll" rule in India. There could be such rules perhaps in isolated tolled roads, but the agreements drawn up would be different. Take for example the infamous Coimbaotore by-pass built by L&T. This was one of the first PPP model roads and the agreement is between TN Highway Dept, NHAI and L&T. The terms & conditions were way too different from the ones drawn up later. So much so that there is confusion on four-laning of this stretch and ownership of the road after the toll collection period is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
Misleading headline.
If you have a Fastag, your wait time is down - as many people will vouch for with anecdotal evidence.
As usual, a hatchet job from a biased media outlet. At the first glance people should get a feeling that what ever the preseent Govt is doing is a flop. And to be frank, I do expect lot of resistance when such 'computerized' measures are rolled out. Any body who could swindle money when tolls were paid in cash, will start crying now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks