Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2020, 20:57   #4681
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenM View Post
magically in a few seconds he said the tag was read and the gate opened !!! NHAI should take up this issue seriously.
Read my post #4638. Same happened to me a few days back at Vanagaram toll plaza. Govt. and public needs to spread awareness about this, if the tag has balance and is still cited as blacklisted then the onus should be on the toll operator.
Old 16th January 2020, 21:13   #4682
BHPian

Re: FASTag: Secondary Mobile# for the Fastag?

Is there a way to add a secondary mobile number as registered number for the FASTag?

I have carried abroad, the registered mobile# SIM with me, and my sister has the car with her in India. Hence, the question.

Any here, with the similar quandary?
Old 16th January 2020, 21:21   #4683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
After getting Axis FasTag, with a total amount of Rs.300/= [Deposit of Rs.200 + Recharge of Rs.100] in the wallet, I passed via a toll (Hoskote) for the first time and my Tag was not read, so the operator allowed me to go with zero charges, but when I returned via the same toll both after a couple of hours, my FasTag was "black listed" and I had to pay cash. When questioned, the booth person said the deposit amount is Rs.300 and since I have only the deposit amount in my wallet, I have been "black listed". Now, my doubt is who does this Black Listing and how do we get it removed? Also, I feel the deposit amount is only Rs.200/= and the operator lied to me. Can someone clarify please?
Rs.200 of the 300 that you paid went towards the (non) refundable deposit. Rs.100 is the only spendable amount in your digital wallet.

Back when I would get harassed by Axis Bank's fastag in 2018, i was told that the tag gets blacklisted when the spendable amount is lesser than Rs.200.

I've long since cut the Axis Bank fastag (as I couldn't ever login or recharge it or complete their KYC). The HDFC tag of mine always has Rs.1000 as a minimum and it has been smooth sailing. Of course, Axis Bank is still incompetent and hasn't refunded the deposit amount to me.

Last edited by locusjag : 16th January 2020 at 21:22.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 21:29   #4684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Is there a way to add a secondary mobile number as registered number for the FASTag?

I have carried abroad, the registered mobile# SIM with me, and my sister has the car with her in India. Hence, the question.

Any here, with the similar quandary?
In case of ICICI, there is an option to change the mobile number. Also, you can add multiple users, not sure if you can specify different mobile number for the users though.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 09:10   #4685
BHPian

Looks like this is only for the "NHAI issued FASTag". It doesn't seem to work for other FASTags. It'd be good if there is a unified tele# number that works across FASTags issued by any agency. Better still if its a phoneword (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoneword), so that it is extremely easy to remember by the commonest of people, rather than a cryptic sequence of digits. This is the way it is done in the developed world.

(While on the topic, We need to adopt the concept of phonewords for many things (bank's customer care, emergency# on expwys, car service booking tele#s, PPF customer care, NPS customer care, brokerage houses customer care, etc))

Eg.: 1-800-FTAGBAL (which letters when you type in any phone, translate to 1-800-3824225, which means NHAI ought to apply for and reserve this number for this service, and advertise the number as 1-800-FTAGBAL for ease of remembrance)

Last edited by vharihar : 17th January 2020 at 09:11.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 09:25   #4686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineAM View Post
You dear sir are using some other frustrated soul's tag. I'm on that boat. Somebody in Telangana drives merrily through tolls while I pay his tolls. When I go outstation, mine works sometimes, other times it doesn't. When it does work, I don't EVER see the debit on my statement. The clowns at HDFC have a bug which they can't be bothered to fix.

Edit: Every request for every wrong debit (21 so far) has led to NO response from them, other than a spate of partial credits, which tells me they admit they have a problem.

If this is indeed the case, i personally feel that it needs to moved to a new thread of it own and the issue be highlighted.

Kindly add more details on the issue.

Not sure how many of you are aware.
Trip is free if fasttag is not being read.(due to toll issues, not for blacklisted tag.)

Quote:
Provided also that if a vehicle user with a valid, functional FASTag or any such device with sufficient balance in the linked account crossing a fee plaza installed with Electronic Toll Collection infrastructure, is not able to pay user fee through FASTag or any such device owing to malfunctioning of Electronic Toll Collection infrastructure, the vehicle user shall be permitted to pass the fee plaza without payment of any user fee. An appropriate zero transaction receipt shall be issued mandatorily for all such transactions," the notification reads.
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...i-4814991.html

Last edited by SideView : 17th January 2020 at 09:31. Reason: Additional info
Old 17th January 2020, 10:09   #4687
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A day after the Jan 15 deadline (yesterday), Fastag lanes in the tolls around Bangalore have slowed down since people are using them with various excuses - despite not having the tags they want to pay cash in Fastag lanes and refusing to pay the double toll when confronted by toll personnel OR using the lanes with Blacklisted tags and paying cash (this I think will result in double deduction ?)

Source:Indian Express newspaper, Bangalore edition 17 Jan 202
FasTag vehicles hit slow lane in Bengaluru on Day 2

Repeat Fastag offenders to pay double toll

Pictures from the tolls around Bangalore
(Also see there is a mention of some guys selling tags at higher prices at toll plazas!)

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th January 2020 at 12:27. Reason: Edited as requested.
Old 17th January 2020, 10:26   #4688
J4J
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
A day after the Jan 15 deadline (yesterday), Fastag lanes have slowed down since people are using them with various excuses - despite not having the tags they want to pay cash in Fastag lanes and refusing to pay the double toll when confronted by toll personnel OR using the lanes with Blacklisted tags and paying cash (this I think will result in double deduction ?)
Agreed. Just 2 days before, I could see this on the toll booths.
I think majority have got the tags but do not understand the concept of blacklisted tags. They argue with the toll operators and refuse to pay even when the LED display clearly shows that the tag is blacklisted. This delays the vehicles behind. This happened in Delhi. I wonder what will be the situation on highways.
Old 17th January 2020, 10:28   #4689
Senior - BHPian

This article:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...0zKfOjyLI.html

says that wait time has INCREASED after mandatory Fastag implementation. It doesn't split the wait time into tagged and non-tagged vehicles though (I suspect the average wait times for non-tagged vehicles have increased substantially raising the overall aggregate).

Also read this in a vernacular newspaper: the rule going forward is that multiple trip/return trip discounts are applicable only to tagged vehicles; cash payers have to pay the single trip fare as many times they pass through.
Old 17th January 2020, 10:40   #4690
BANNED

Quote:
After getting Axis FasTag, with a total amount of Rs.300/= [Deposit of Rs.200 + Recharge of Rs.100] in the wallet, I passed via a toll (Hoskote) for the first time and my Tag was not read, so the operator allowed me to go with zero charges, but when I returned via the same toll both after a couple of hours, my FasTag was "black listed" and I had to pay cash. When questioned, the booth person said the deposit amount is Rs.300 and since I have only the deposit amount in my wallet, I have been "black listed". Now, my doubt is who does this Black Listing and how do we get it removed? Also, I feel the deposit amount is only Rs.200/= and the operator lied to me. Can someone clarify please?
Consider this scenario. You have an account with a bank, and the minimum balance is 5k. You have 7 k in the account. You issue a cheque for 4k. Tge bank is bound to honour the cheque. Else, there is a deficiency in service, and the bank will have to compensate you for defamation. (Ummm ... that is the basic principle). The law applied is the Consumer protection law.

If the bank honours the cheque, and the balance goes below the bank specified minimum, the bank can charge you a penalty, and the RBI rules and regulations allow the penalty.

The same principles ought to apply here. If there is a deposit and it is sufficient to meet the toll, the tag should not be blacklisted.

I feel the NHAI and MoRTH need to be pro-actively transparent on this.
Old 17th January 2020, 10:57   #4691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenM View Post
I encountered the 'blacklist' issue after using Fastag for a while now. I had updated my tag account to 800 rupees last night and when I entered the Sriperumbudur toll plaza, i saw the sign was flashing the dreaded ' tag blacklisted' message !! Without arguing, I reached out to my phone and told the agent that I'm logging into ICICI fasttag web to show him the status.. magically in a few seconds he said the tag was read and the gate opened !!! NHAI should take up this issue seriously.
I suspected the "blacklisting" would be the work of the toll booth operators and that seems to be the fact based on your above experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Rs.200 of the 300 that you paid went towards the (non) refundable deposit. Rs.100 is the only spendable amount in your digital wallet.

Back when I would get harassed by Axis Bank's fastag in 2018, i was told that the tag gets blacklisted when the spendable amount is lesser than Rs.200.

I've long since cut the Axis Bank fastag (as I couldn't ever login or recharge it or complete their KYC). The HDFC tag of mine always has Rs.1000 as a minimum and it has been smooth sailing. Of course, Axis Bank is still incompetent and hasn't refunded the deposit amount to me.
So, when I had the spendable amount of Rs.100/=, I should not have been blacklisted for a toll charge of Rs.20/=. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th January 2020 at 11:07. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 17th January 2020, 11:09   #4692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Wasn't the case when I was driving back from Mumbai last month. I didn't clearly notice the marked lanes for FASTag and entered a lane that was the rightmost.
This must be a recent development post the announcement of compulsory Fastag since December 15 onwards, else Mumbai--Pune Expressway surely had all lanes at both the toll plazas enabled for Fastag going by my umpteen experiences.

Sad to know you had to pay cash and again by Tag as well. I think the person at the toll booth who told you its a cash lane was new and unaware that all lanes are Fastag enabled. He could have simply signalled you to pass after you pointed him to the Tag. Isn't there any way you can raise a complaint regarding double deduction ?? This is totally unfair that you were made to pay extra.

The exclusive Fastag lanes on Expressway are named as "ETC Lane" and not as "Fastag".
Old 17th January 2020, 11:22   #4693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
In case of ICICI, there is an option to change the mobile number. Also, you can add multiple users, not sure if you can specify different mobile number for the users though.

Yes, you can. I have 6 cars in one account and all cars are associated to different mobile numbers.
Old 17th January 2020, 11:30   #4694
BHPian

Quote:
I have been "black listed". Now, my doubt is who does this Black Listing and how do we get it removed? Can someone clarify please?
For the block-listing due to balance falling below the minimum, just top-up the Tag with some money and the black-listing will go away.

My hunch is each bank is following their own "minimum balance/ deposit requirement". When the car crosses, the check is only if tag is valid or black-listed. The actual deduction happens later. And at that time if the balance is below the minimum threshold as set by bank, tag status will change to "black-listed" and next time you cannot pass.

Ideally NHAI/ isuing banks should explain in detail how this works. Many users have the tag but I suppose are not re-charging it due to all this confusion.
Old 17th January 2020, 11:46   #4695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
My hunch is each bank is following their own "minimum balance/ deposit requirement".
On my recent trip, I calculated the toll and did top-up accordingly to make sure that Rs.150 are left after last toll plaza. But I missed the last toll plaza. I did an instant top up (UPI) of Rs.100 while waiting in queue at the toll plaza. The toll was Rs.135. It didn't show any blacklisted thing and I passed smoothly. Now, balance is Rs.115. So, as mentioned by someone, minimum Rs.200 as threshold amount is not correct, at least for ICICI fastags.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks