Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2020, 23:57   #4561
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Can anyone please help me out and let me know if Fast tag will work if installed ‘vertically’ ?
Old 3rd January 2020, 07:44   #4562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Can anyone please help me out and let me know if Fast tag will work if installed ‘vertically’ ?
I'm not sure about this as all the agencies selling it instruct it to be pasted horizontally. Infact there is no mention about pasting vertically. The place to paste it varies from different agencies like PayTM says to fix it in middle whereas Maruti says to fix it towards left side of centerline.

What you can do is without removing the sticker paper, paste the FasTag vertically using a sellotape and try. If it reads, well and good. If it doesn't, you can immediately change its orientation.
Old 3rd January 2020, 09:05   #4563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
It will. The orientation doesn't matter. FASTag is just like the access cards that most of us are used to, provided by the employer to enter workplaces.
Old 3rd January 2020, 09:33   #4564
BHPian

If the FASTag for your car isn’t properly detected by the reading machines in different lanes at toll plazas, you do not need to pay any toll at all for that particular trip. The National Highway Fee Determination of Rates and Collection Amendment Rule 2018 GSR 427E 07.05.2018 of the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) clarifies the little-known rule.

Source: https://www.news18.com/news/tech/if-...e-2441849.html

Looks like there are two types of nuisances that are bound to happen:

1. Regardless of the rule, the people manning the toll booth will demand cash payment if the Fastag is not read by the scanners. In that case they might still charge 2x toll for cash payment.

2. If they let people off without paying toll, scamsters might develop and sell methods for fooling the scanners. It might be some transparent film which interferes with the operation of the scanner, or some way to damage the tag without any change in appearance from outside.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:11   #4565
BHPian

Hello

Just got a chance yesterday to use FASTag for first time. My tour was from Chandigarh to Bathinda and back same day. The route has 5 tolls. Overall I only spent 10 minutes (may be even less) on all the tolls. No waiting, tag Reading was fast and even no wrong deductions. Overall more than satisfied by the experience.
I am using FASTag from Kotak Mahindra Bank.
BlackMamba24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 13:04   #4566
BANNED

Hi guys, is it mandatory to stick Fastag on the middle of windshield? Is it fine, if I stick it on the left side? Thanks in advance.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 13:28   #4567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
If the FASTag for your car isn’t properly detected...

Looks like there are two types of nuisances that are bound to happen:

1. Regardless of the rule, the people manning the toll booth will demand cash payment if the Fastag is not read by the scanners. In that case they might still charge 2x toll for cash payment.

2. If they let people off without paying toll, scamsters might develop and sell methods for fooling the scanners. It might be some transparent film which interferes with the operation of the scanner, or some way to damage the tag without any change in appearance from outside.
There is a third nuisance that I faced, even when I had sufficient balance in my PayTM Fastag, while returning to Mumbai at Khalapur Toll plaza it said insufficient balance. I said there is enough balance, he said ok and waved me to go through. When I reached the toll at Talegaon, I noticed an SMS that Rs. 173/- are deducted at Khalapur toll. Hence ideally only Rs. 57 should get deducted at Talegaon but again Rs. 173 got deducted.

The booth operator at Khalapur it seems did over-ride the system and deducted the money via my Fastag and on the next booth it read correctly and deducted as if I had started from Lonavla. Either both toll booths are not talking to each other or some glitch in programming but I ended up paying Rs. 116 more.

What's worse is the PayTM customer care, they simply don't respond to the raised tickets.
Old 3rd January 2020, 13:54   #4568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Hi guys, is it mandatory to stick Fastag on the middle of windshield? Is it fine, if I stick it on the left side? Thanks in advance.
I have the tag stuck on the left side of the vehicle. It works absolutely fine.
paddu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 14:01   #4569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
It's not mandatory to stick it in the middle. I have installed mine on the right side & it's working fine.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 23:55   #4570
Senior - BHPian

What is the process to add a new vehicle to the existing ICICI CUG account? The showroom guys have no clue and the FAQ section of ICICI fastag website doesn't mention this.
Old 4th January 2020, 07:10   #4571
Senior - BHPian

A couple of fastag toll booth experiences from the end of December.
Pallikonda toll 6:30 PM. Not much traffic and definitely faster than cash

Vaniyambadi toll 7:30 PM:
Not much traffic. There appears to have been a problem with the truck in front, but it didnt cause me any delays

In both above videos you can see the start of the division between fastag and cash lanes and the signs.

Attibele was not so good. Some dashcam segments were not saved by me. I'll post more later as I transfer files.
I use payTm fastag and have used it for almost 2 years now.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 13:50   #4572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
There is a third nuisance that I faced, even when I had sufficient balance in my PayTM Fastag, while returning to Mumbai at Khalapur Toll plaza it said insufficient balance. I said there is enough balance, he said ok and waved me to go through. When I reached the toll at Talegaon, I noticed an SMS that Rs. 173/- are deducted at Khalapur toll. Hence ideally only Rs. 57 should get deducted at Talegaon but again Rs. 173 got deducted.

The booth operator at Khalapur it seems did over-ride the system and deducted the money via my Fastag and on the next booth it read correctly and deducted as if I had started from Lonavla. Either both toll booths are not talking to each other or some glitch in programming but I ended up paying Rs. 116 more.

What's worse is the PayTM customer care, they simply don't respond to the raised tickets.
Can you not raise a complaint or ticket with fasttag directly and get this resolved?
Old 5th January 2020, 23:35   #4573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
I applied for the FASTag through Axis Bank website. The application was straightforward and simple. I just had to give my ID and address proof for which I typed in the Voter ID number. There was no requirement of uploading of the document. Paid Rs 200/- + GST....
Update: My service request raised on 15 Dec 2019 on the etc.axisbank site for the above issue was finally closed on 03 Jan 2020 (19 days) with the just the following remark:

"dear customer for this concern kindly mail us at our email id etc(.)management at axisbank(.) com along with case history details to further check"

Hence sent an email with all details to the above ID explaining the case. Lets see how long they now take to resolve this.

Meanwhile to understand if there will be any issue during loading the FASTAG wallet, I tried loading the wallet with Rs 50/- through Net banking and there was no issue. The amount was immediately credited to the account. There was no additional charges for loading the FASTAG wallet through Net Banking.

As on today, on the Axis bank website it still says:

"Get a FASTAG for free. Security deposit applicable. T&C apply"
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-axis-fastag-screenshot.jpeg  

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th January 2020 at 00:40. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 6th January 2020, 08:16   #4574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
Can you not raise a complaint or ticket with fasttag directly and get this resolved?
I have raised the ticket right away on 1st Jan and received a response from the customer care on 4th Jan stating they need more information, RC copy of my vehicle and Vehicle image (front and side). I don't know what for, since RC copy was uploaded while ordering the Fastag itself.

Anyway, I have uploaded all the things again on 4th Jan and still no response. Let's see!
Old 6th January 2020, 10:55   #4575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
Hi, I faced a similar issue yesterday while going to Lonavala from Mumbai at Khalapur Toll. I was asked to pay 173 in cash which i did and was issued a receipt fr the same too. However, I git a message 10 mins later that my Paytm fastag has also been debited bu 173 making it a case of double deduction. This is highly irritating.

I don't want to make this a political debate but it seems present govt is in a hurry to launch half cooked measures . It pains when one diligently pays approx 50% in taxes and then faces these sort of issues.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th January 2020 at 11:04. Reason: Corrected typo + Trimmed quote.

Most Viewed