Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2020, 15:55   #4981
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I contacted customer care and they took the request for replacement tag.10 Days is OK for me since i do not have any trips planned now. Cost is 100 rupees and it will be deducted from the fastag balance.
I hope your tag comes in the stipulated time. In my case it did not come. I had raised a complaint in November and lodged at least 4 complaints after that. Ultimately I have done account closure on their portal. Lets see How much time they take to refund my deposit + tag balance.
Old 3rd March 2020, 09:36   #4982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If I recall correctly, you were talking of the Coimbatore L&T bypass. Specifically about this road, it is currently just a 15m wide road incongruent with the N-S Corridor roads on its two sides. Its widening is stuck in litigation (NHAI wants to freshly tender the widening project, L&T claims that widening it is their project as per the original agreement's terms). We can't generalise this road's unique situation.
I was not generalizing at all. As a reply to the forum member, I was telling that the reduced waiting time at FastTag lanes is because of the fact that the number of lanes increased. The queue is piling up wherever the number of lanes is less. My main concern through out my post is the lack of single point accountability of the FasTag system. NHAI, the provider, toll booth employees - all try to disown the customer when issues do happen.

Update from my side: I received HDFC FasTag replacement yesterday at my other address. Need to check that and see if it solves the issue. If the issue tag is of same tag ID, the problem might still be unresolved.
vinodvayyat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:07   #4983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Returned to Bangalore from Ranibennur yesterday, the fastag enabled tolls were smooth and quick, the lines for Cash payments were long.
Traveled to Dharwad and returned to Bangalore yesterday. ICICI tag worked perfectly while going to Dharwad. While returning except for the last toll near Nelamangala, all worked fine. But I got the message saying the amount for Rs 20 was deducted today morning and time of travel 6:30 am today.

The FASTag facility is still not activated on Hubli Dharwad bypass and I paid by cash.

As I am planning to sell my car, I just stuck the FASTag by cellophane tape inside and there was no issue in detection.
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:04   #4984
BHPian

Traffic Jams in Kolkata entry point toll plaza seems to be increasing every day.

Last weekend it took me over 3 hours to get clear of Dankuni Toll (NH19, old name NH2, Delhi Road) & subsequent Nivedita Bridge (3rd Hoogly Bridge / Bally). Total of around 12 kms constant stand still traffic for these two toll plazas.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-dankuni-nivedita-toll.jpeg

There is no clear markings for Cash Lanes & large trucks & other vehicles are changing lanes right before the toll entry causing further chaos.

Fastag Transactions went smooth. Return toll (Discount for returning within 24 hours via same toll) was charged without any hassle.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-return-toll-discount.jpeg

However I guess vehicles are spending more fuel in this traffic than actual toll charges. Actual fastag operation is working flawlessly but somehow the traffic jam has increased tenfold.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:58   #4985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
I was telling that the reduced waiting time at FastTag lanes is because of the fact that the number of lanes increased.
As an individual who's been using Fastags since 2016 and driving ~10K km / year between Bangalore / Chennai / Kochi / Calicut (ie, a fixed set of toll booths), my perception is that:

* Apart from Coimbatore bypass and Paliyekkara, Fastag has been a tremendous improvement.

* The average time I take to pass through a toll booth hasn't changed much in these 3 years. I had reported average savings of 10 min/toll (FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!) which I still see.

* More lanes at toll plazas is simply to offset the increase in the number of tagged vehicles.

* The reduction reported by ministry is in the amount of wait time aggregated across all vehicles - tagged and untagged. This actually proves that the tags are a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
My main concern through out my post is the lack of single point accountability of the FasTag system.
Your relation is with the issuing bank. They are the ones who you need to hold accountable for.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 12:45   #4986
BHPian

Quote:
As an individual who's been using Fastags since 2016 and driving ~10K km / year between Bangalore / Chennai / Kochi / Calicut (ie, a fixed set of toll booths), my perception is that:

* Apart from Coimbatore bypass and Paliyekkara, Fastag has been a tremendous improvement.

* The average time I take to pass through a toll booth hasn't changed much in these 3 years. I had reported average savings of 10 min/toll (FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!) which I still see.

* More lanes at toll plazas is simply to offset the increase in the number of tagged vehicles.

* The reduction reported by ministry is in the amount of wait time aggregated across all vehicles - tagged and untagged. This actually proves that the tags are a good thing.
I too have been using the route with FasTag (from 2015) and I have witnessed horrible waiting time with FasTag since only a few lanes were there with FasTag (in many toll plazas including Krishnagiri, Omalur plaza etc). There was no penalty for cash payment as well. This definitely encouraged people who pay cash. Whether FasTag is going to be made mandatory or not, the cash payment lanes had to be reduced and levy a heavy penalty for the same. At least that is the only change I had expected the govt to make since they took charge in 2014.

Quote:
Your relation is with the issuing bank. They are the ones who you need to hold accountable for.
The issuing bank is there merely to provide the tag and deal with the wallet. I have right to contact the bank as well as NHAI (screenshot from NHAI's website below).
Name:  FasTag_FAQ_Escalation.png
Views: 863
Size:  25.6 KB

I have chased the issue for hours and I'm not interested to pursue this further and I back my words strongly - the system has issues whether you think it is successful or not.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 4th March 2020 at 12:45. Reason: Corrected
Old 4th March 2020, 15:39   #4987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat
The issuing bank is there merely to provide the tag and deal with the wallet. I have right to contact the bank as well as NHAI (screenshot from NHAI's website below).
The NHAI web site mentions about an organisation IHMCL as the next appelate authority in case of customer complaints. Did you approach them, when the first authority the banks did not help you? There can be many assumptions on "rights" etc., but I am just trying to get more clarity.

Quote:
I have chased the issue for hours and I'm not interested to pursue this further and I back my words strongly - the system has issues whether you think it is successful or not.
Any new system introduced in a big country like India will have issues, especially a system which is used by more and more people. As I said earlier any system to be deemed "successful" in India, it has to support the corruption and malpractises in the country. That is the 'default' mindset which most of the population have. And based on one's political thought processes the hatred or liking of any system also changes. Perhaps you could approach the PMO's web site if you have any suggestion for improving the system.
Old 4th March 2020, 18:03   #4988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Anyone know how to activate automatic monthly renewal of local passes on FASTag? I have 2 vehicles with 2 separate local passes for 2 separate toll booths, and it's a pain to visit the concessionaire monthly.
Quoting my own post as I managed to figure out how to carry out online renewal of existing monthly (local) passes on the IHMCL website. This saves the pain of visiting the concessionaire every month to physically swipe the smartcard for renewal.

1. On the IHMCL site (https://ihmcl.com/), go to FASTag on the ribbon and choose Buy Monthly FASTag pass.
2. Scroll through the list of toll plazas and choose the one which you have already registered with.
3. Search with your vehicle or Tag number
4. Confirm vehicle/tag number and submit.
5. Confirm the monthly amount and it takes you to the payment portal.

Super happy as this makes the process digital and seamless
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 09:11   #4989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The NHAI web site mentions about an organisation IHMCL as the next appelate authority in case of customer complaints. Did you approach them, when the first authority the banks did not help you? There can be many assumptions on "rights" etc., but I am just trying to get more clarity.

Any new system introduced in a big country like India will have issues, especially a system which is used by more and more people. As I said earlier any system to be deemed "successful" in India, it has to support the corruption and malpractises in the country. That is the 'default' mindset which most of the population have. And based on one's political thought processes the hatred or liking of any system also changes. Perhaps you could approach the PMO's web site if you have any suggestion for improving the system.
IHMCL manages operations of EToll network for NHAI. That means whatever helpline is being run on the name of NHAI is being operated by IHMCL. I have called them almost every time after calling the bank. They are completely clueless at all times. They once even asked me not to pay the toll when I was stuck in one (since that is the rule for "Invalid Fastag" which is in active status on the system). I let them directly speak to the toll plaza supervisor and was of no use. It seemed as if they have no authority even though they actually have the authority. The problem is the system again - there is no easy way for the toll supervisors to check the toll balance and manually deduct the same. But in another toll plaza, the supervisor took courage to deduct the same which according to them is a time consuming process. As I have described in my first post, the system lacks certain provisions to speed up on such disputes - NHAI can provide the toll plazas a fast interface to check and deduct toll by entering the registration number. It certainly can be done as I mentioned earlier and some of them are doing that as well (which took them a day to do so). If the supervisors at toll plaza do not have a realtime interface to do so, how can it be done in a few seconds or minutes?

That said, I'm done with this issue (including anymore posts here about it). I won't waste time by going to PM's website - PM is no party to such issues. I'm no lawyer and average man - so don't have resources to fight this legally. And please take your words back - where did I mention any of my political thoughts in the thread?! That is an unnecessary deduction of the explanation I have given on the ordeal. All I wanted to do was to post my findings to fellow members so that it will make them aware of the root cause.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 5th March 2020 at 09:19. Reason: Corrected sentences
Old 7th March 2020, 07:33   #4990
BHPian

Got an SMS yesterday stating that for Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link (RGSL) monthly pass / trip based renewal is possible using FASTAG. Tried to go through the link of nhai website and it is possible to do so. One can use the MEP trip based ETC till the balance is Zero. Ŕemains to be seen if from April 1st 2020, the mep ETC continues to work till balance is Zero.

Meanwhile i have covered the fastag with a silver foil by sticking it with tape on the windscreen to avoid double debit for same journey by both mep ETC and ICICI bank issued FASTAG. Nuisance value as one has to check every few days as it could come out after car wash.

Last edited by INNOWAGON_CL : 7th March 2020 at 07:39. Reason: Spelling error
Old 7th March 2020, 08:26   #4991
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOWAGON_CL View Post
Meanwhile i have covered the fastag with a silver foil by sticking it with tape on the windscreen to avoid double debit for same journey by both mep ETC and ICICI bank issued FASTAG. Nuisance value as one has to check every few days as it could come out after car wash.
I've never had the need to try it but can you not use the ICICI portal feature to deactivate your FT temporarily? That should remove the double-billing fear, and you can (hopefully) reactivate it on an online-real time basis when you need to?
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 09:01   #4992
Senior - BHPian

I made a trip to Trichy and back a couple of days ago. There are six toll plazas on the way and I breezed through every one of them. The PayTm Fastag works very smoothly, the scanners pick it up in just a few seconds. Cash and Fastag lanes are clearly demarcated well before each toll plaza and except one stupid car fellow ahead of me in one plaza, everyone followed the system everywhere. Not sure if he was charged double.

And by the way, the Paranur toll plaza completely broken up by incensed crowds sometime back is up and running now.
Old 7th March 2020, 10:01   #4993
BHPian

FASTag Scam ? - Charges debited even while car is parked on other side of the city.

I bought a Fastag for my car from Airtel Payments Bank.

Tag was delivered in late December and I used it for the fist and last time on the 4th of Jan 2020 on the E-city flyover and it worked fine.

After the above date, I did not have to drive through any tolls whatsoever.

From the past 1 month or more, the car has been used only in E-city phase 1.

Woke up today and saw an SMS from Airtel Bank, that the Fastag has been used for a transaction today (7th March 2020) at 4.51.12 AM. Txn amount is Rs.20. Car number is accurate in the SMS.

Logged into the Airtel bank website and not many details are available there either. Just the information below.

---------------------------------------------------------------
FASTAG TOLL TRANSACTION AT PLAZA 1 @ KM 14+825
₹20
Successful
Trns ID : FT2006704xxxxxxxxx
07-Mar-2020
---------------------------------------------------------------

Considering that Airtel helpline '400' is a pain to deal with, I was going to ignore the charge. But then, it is not a question of Rs.20, how can I be charged for usage when my car was securely parked in the basement from the past few days ?

A little bit of Googling turned up a spreadsheet showing where this 14+825 Toll plaza is situated.

Looks like 116001 is the Kempegowda Airport Toll Plaza. (Since 116003 is the Devanahalli toll by the same contractor - Navayuga)

---------------------------------------------------------

174. 116001 Conc. National Bangalore Rural Karnataka Navayuga Plaza 1 @ Km 14+825
175. 116003 Conc. National Bangalore Rural Karnataka Navayuga Devanahalli Toll Plaza
----------------------------------------------------------

Called Airtel Payments Helpline to report a fraudulent txn and the guy vaguely mentioned that "Kabhi Kabhi system error se amount debit ho jaata hai, hum ise reverse kara denge".

[1] Since the Fastag transactions are supposed to happen only via the RFID or the hand-held reader at the plaza, how can a manual txn be charged - that too with the correct car number?

[2] If this is a scam and a number of people ignore the amount since it is only Rs.20, it will eventually add up to a big amount.

[3] If my car is being shown as travelling near the airport, even while it is parked on the other side of the city, what is the sanctity of the data?

Just a suggestion, those of you who have Fastags, especially multiple tags on the same account, do pay attention to the charges.

*** NPCI List of toll booths : https://www.npci.org.in/sites/all/th...15-01-2019.pdf ****

Last edited by hotstuff : 7th March 2020 at 10:04.
Old 7th March 2020, 11:32   #4994
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag Scam ? - Charges debited even while car is parked on other side of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
[1] Since the Fastag transactions are supposed to happen only via the RFID or the hand-held reader at the plaza, how can a manual txn be charged - that too with the correct car number?
Mostly when RFID doesn't work, the toll operator may make manual entry of the vehicle number and system may deduct from the vehicle owner account. In this case, there could be a wrong vehicle number entered manually. So it would have got deducted from your account.

All these are my guess only. I don't think it is a scam for 20 rupees
Old 7th March 2020, 12:19   #4995
BHPian

Re: FASTag Scam ? - Charges debited even while car is parked on other side of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Mostly when RFID doesn't work, the toll operator may make manual entry of the vehicle number and system may deduct from the vehicle owner account. In this case, there could be a wrong vehicle number entered manually. So it would have got deducted from your account. All these are my guess only. I don't think it is a scam for 20 rupees
[1] AFAIK, if the RFID tag reader and the manual reader are not working due to any issue, even though the Fastag is valid and active, it will be a free trip. There is no cash collection / subsequent manual charging that is supposed to happen.

[2] The last time I remember traveling through this toll booth in question, (Kempegowda Airport Toll) sometime in 2018/19), the minimum charge for a car was around Rs.150. Why would they charge Rs.20 ?

[3] If there is a provision to manually upload the data in a spreadsheet or a text file, what is stopping the toll booth guys from just uploading 1000 ~ 2000 numbers randomly in a day, adjusting it against the cash only booth collection and siphoning off the extra ?

[4] The toll booth in question is a very high volume plaza. A majority of the vehicles going to the airport + almost all the vehicles going on the Hyderabad highway pass through this. So, 1000 ~ 2000 additional manual charges may not even register as a blip.

[5] Since Rs.20 is a small amount, people may not notice it or just ignore it; so if someone is skimming off the amount, the manual billing (if allowed) should be in small amounts and not the full amount (to keep it under the radar), else too many users will raise wrong billing claims and it will get noticed.

It may not be a scam, it might be a system issue, it might be a glitch somewhere. But I certainly would be worried, not about the amount, but about the fact that the records will show my car as being somewhere it is not supposed to be. (Since CCTV footage is unreliable and will get overwritten, the system record of the billing will be more permanent.)

In any case, it doesn't hurt if users are a little more conscious about the charges appearing on the Fastag account. Users who drive through multiple toll booths every day may just ignore any messages / notifications that pop-up. I just happened to notice it since I was absolutely sure I did not go anywhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks