Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2018, 01:47   #2326
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Had driven Bangalore - Pune and back during last week on Tuesday and Thursday and here is a small compilation of most of the FASTags along this route starting with Guilalu near Chitradurga:

You can notice how certain booths were automated and few were manual but still quicker than scanning with the device. Overall, it was a pleasant experience all throughout. You can also see that few booths have permanently shut/closed the dedicated lanes. These are the booths that are fully hybrid that you can enter any lane and still pass through with a valid tag.

My only grouse is the JAS toll twins at Khyatasandra (Tumkur) and Nelamangala which still are lagging behind in implementing Hybrid system. Since I reached here in wee hours during return, I for sure expected a lot of bus and truck traffic and I had deciding witnessing the queue length that I will prefer paying cash rather than hunt for the FASTag lane or change lanes in the last minute to sneak into the lane meant for FASTag.

Have a look at this video where I take almost 10 Minutes to cross this booth.

I purchased toll for 18 INR thinking the next booth at Nelamangala I will take the FASTag lane depending on rush but the queue here too was horrible to say the least .

Needless to say that the next booth at Nelamangala also I paid in cash seeing the rush.

Moral of the Story : You either completely get rid of FASTag at JAS or make it hybrid for all lanes (Attibele has learnt a lesson now). This is because you cannot have just one lane catering to FASTag when you are entering the city and traffic is full of trucks and buses during wee hours and each one trying hard to get into FASTag lanes!

As usual, I always say that we cars form the smallest percentage of FASTag users, especially during nights and its the buses and trucks that rule.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th February 2018 at 01:49.
paragsachania is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 10:23   #2327
BHPian

I recently did the Hyderabad - Chennai route through Adanki / Ongole / Nellore and Hyderabad - Bangalore through Ananthapur and I found one strange scenario in most of the FastTag gates.

1. Equipment does not work well with trucks and they tend to cause blockage for the traffic behind. Though the lane is manned. So, I have to move to the regular lane where they will not accept FastTag. They say that the handheld scanner is not working or WiFi range is not sufficient for the handheld scanner to work. End up paying in cash.

2. Equipment is broken. Lane closed. Handheld scanner is not working at same time. End up paying cash.

3. The gate remains open for long enough for the non-FastTag folks to enter the lane behind and tailgate us. We end up paying for them too.

This was observed during the December 2017 vacation period (Hyd-Chennai route) and during January 26 (Hyd-Bang route).

#1 and #2 observations might be to quickly get hard cash for the Toll Agencies. Not sure if anyone else noticed these stuff recently.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 22:31   #2328
BHPian

Recently had a chance to use the Paytm Fastag for the first time. The experience was very mixed.

I didn't have any major problem with the scanners and any issues getting through. Only 1 of the 3 toll plazas had dedicated lane though.

My main problem was that Paranur (Chengalpattu) toll plaza managed to rob me 55Rs. by

1) Not applying 24hr roundtrip discount
2) Not applying local registration (TN-19) discount

So a toll which should have cost me 55Rs. both ways cost me 110Rs.

Both the above discounts are applicable when I use cash and have got them applied automatically multiple times in the past months. I even asked them whether both discounts will be applied and they said they will be. Also, the other 2 toll plazas applied 24hr roundtrip discounts automatically.

Attached a screenshot showing the scan times and clearly the TN-19 vehicle# (partially masked).

Anyone know how to pursue this further? Should the complaints be sent to NHAI or Paytm? Paytm doesn't even a help link from their app for Fastag.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-paytm.png  

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 15th February 2018 at 22:40.
Old 16th February 2018, 10:12   #2329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Anyone know how to pursue this further? Should the complaints be sent to NHAI or Paytm? Paytm doesn't even a help link from their app for Fastag.
I had similar issues with my ICICIfastag and their call center was prompt in raising complaints for me, which will be sent to the corresponding toll plaza for resolution. Of all the complaints I raised, only one was not acted by toll plaza staff and ICICI call center staff fixed it for me after the SLA for toll plaza staff to respond to my complaint expired.
arjithin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 12:05   #2330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Fastag has been made mandatory (since Dec 2017 I think) at the time of purchase, so the dealers procure the tag and include the expense in final on road pricing.
I have 3 neighbours who got delivery in January, all of them have working fastags. Its a good initiative but the non-working scanners at many places still remain the same. eg.Devanahalli, I have never seen it working since 5 months.
Old 18th February 2018, 09:17   #2331
Distinguished - BHPian

Used Fastag 1st time yesterday on Pune Mumbai expressway. They debited 138 each on both toll nakas, rather than 230 for the full distance! Any clue why? And how to avoid this next time? And how to get the extra 56 back from IRB? My Fastag is paytm. Thanks!
Old 19th February 2018, 13:43   #2332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Used Fastag 1st time yesterday on Pune Mumbai expressway. They debited 138 each on both toll nakas, rather than 230 for the full distance! Any clue why? And how to avoid this next time? And how to get the extra 56 back from IRB? My Fastag is paytm. Thanks!
+1, similar experience . I was debited Rs. 85 either way rather than Rs. 125/- @ BIAL. Experts please help? Also how do I find my Wallet Id?
My fastag was provided by the dealer.
Old 19th February 2018, 13:53   #2333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #win View Post
+1, similar experience . I was debited Rs. 85 either way rather than Rs. 125/- @ BIAL. Experts please help? Also how do I find my Wallet Id?
My fastag was provided by the dealer.
Well, they never deduct it right at BIAL. Hence, you saved 40 bucks. Earlier it was a free passage
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 14:08   #2334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Well, they never deduct it right at BIAL. Hence, you saved 40 bucks. Earlier it was a free passage
85 either way, so 170 in total. so I lost 45
Old 19th February 2018, 14:18   #2335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #win View Post
85 either way, so 170 in total. so I lost 45
Oh I missed that. Usually for me the journey towards Devanhalli was never charged till date. Only the return journey towards the city would be charged at 85 irrespective of whether I passed through the Highway toll or the Airport return toll. Who is the service provider of your tag?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 14:25   #2336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Oh I missed that. Usually for me the journey towards Devanhalli was never charged till date. Only the return journey towards the city would be charged at 85 irrespective of whether I passed through the Highway toll or the Airport return toll. Who is the service provider of your tag?
Axis Bank, got it through the dealer. I don't know the wallet ID to re-charge online. My SA is clueless about Fastag. How do I challenge the charge?
Old 20th February 2018, 20:14   #2337
Senior - BHPian

Happy to report that my fastag is finally closed and balance is credited back to my bank account. Below images show the process and time taken. Once the request to close the account was taken and documents accepted, no follow up was needed

Confirmation from ICICI Bank team that closing process is initiated on Feb 09 2018

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-fastag.jpg

Set of tasks performed
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-fastag1.jpg

Last edited by arjithin : 20th February 2018 at 20:16.
arjithin is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 14:25   #2338
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

Is HDFC FASTag customer care number 1800-120-1243 really working?
I am trying to call it to close the fastag account for past few days, but all i hear is that airtel number is busy and asking me to retry again !

Surprised to see how a critical customer care number can be busy all the time and people who are in urgent need will be left high & dry.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 17:41   #2339
Distinguished - BHPian

We sure have discussed couple of times on this thread on how one can make the entire toll system automated (Without barriers) and then the system automatically deducts the amount after the vehicle passes the booths.

While casually YouTubing, here's what I was suggested to watch and boy, the cheaters have innovative ideas apart from the usual stupid ones to cover up the licence plates so that the scanners/cameras don't capture the exact number and hence you don't pay the toll:

paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 18:26   #2340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Friends,

Is HDFC FASTag customer care number 1800-120-1243 really working?
I am trying to call it to close the fastag account for past few days, but all i hear is that airtel number is busy and asking me to retry again !

Surprised to see how a critical customer care number can be busy all the time and people who are in urgent need will be left high & dry.

-Ravi
During fist week of this month Feb, I tried applying online for HDFC FasTag. After uploading required docs, there is a window asking OTP sent to my mobile. But I have not received any OTP. Tried all chances and expired. After a while, again I tried step by step by uploading again my docs. Again stuck up at OTP which is not received. Called the customer care number 1800-.... for help but it says busy and hanged . Opened ICICI FasTag online and completed the formalities successfully. Called the customer care number to ensure it is working. Now I received my FasTag through post last week. It took 10 days to receive the tag. Registered online for account activation and recharge. All is well with ICICI FasTag.
vijayk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed