Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2020, 16:56   #4861
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Firstly it takes many attempts to log in. Then when I tried to recharge my wallet using netbanking option, the site did not come back to HDFC site properly and gave me an error message after the netbanking transaction. I called their support line and they say they have no trace of the transaction and asked me to send a mail to a support ID. I did that and there is no response since the past 4 days.
No UPI recharge for HDFC tags? I am very sure, there will be. Ever since UPI recharge came into existence, I completely stopped using any other methods to recharge my tag (ICICI in my case). Only last year when driving down from MP, I tried to recharge for 700 and due to very bad data network, money not only got deducted from my bank account but it didn't recharge the tag either. Bank statement has the proof and the same was provided to ICICI who ensured this money was into my tag, albeit after multiple follow ups.
Old 10th February 2020, 17:15   #4862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
For those with issues on the sealink.

I met a senior officer there and raised concerns because I have both MEP and fastag.
With the min. Rs. 70 balance rule to cross the RGSL toll plaza, it's gonna be difficult to get the old MEP tag down to exact Rs. 0. Is there any option of a balance transfer if/when we buy a Fastag from the RGSL office?
Old 11th February 2020, 09:03   #4863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Credit card payments are the best, traceability wise. Worst case scenario, you'll have both a transaction record and a specific entity (card issuer) to dispute transactions with, even if the recipient goes incommunicado or washes their hands off. Added bonus that it isn't your money stuck in limbo (or lost) while the dispute is investigated/resolved.
Yeah that's what I usually do. But since my current account credentials are on my fingertips due to frequent usage, I selected net banking to avoid digging into the wallet and pulling out the CC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
No UPI recharge for HDFC tags? I am very sure, there will be.
UPI option must be there, haven't tried yet. I called the support line a couple of times and was able to get through. They've asked me send a mail with a screen shot of the debit in my bank account. Have done so. Will update if this gets sorted out.
Old 11th February 2020, 10:05   #4864
Team-BHP Support

Maybe silly, but a genuine question - Our cars are exempted from 2 tolls falling in the municipal area. Would putting a black tape from the outside of the windshield help mask it?
Old 11th February 2020, 10:09   #4865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Maybe silly, but a genuine question - Our cars are exempted from 2 tolls falling in the municipal area. Would putting a black tape from the outside of the windshield help mask it?
I have read that aluminium helps in blocking the RFID. I am not sure if just covering the tag with a tape will work as the signals can still be emitted. Leave it to the experts to pitch in though
Old 11th February 2020, 10:21   #4866
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
FasTag is a RFID tag and works mainly by emitting a radio wave after getting triggered by a device. The only possible way is to block the radio waves from reaching the tag. A Google search throws up this for RFID Blocking Materials and explains it in detail. Covering it with a black tape won't help I guess.
Old 11th February 2020, 11:22   #4867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not a silly question at all .

The best way (one-off exercise) is to apply for FT exemption at those toll booths by approaching the concessionaire(s). They will enter your vehicle details into their FT module as a 'local vehicle exempt from toll'. Then every time you pass by those FT readers, 'exempted vehicle' will flash on the screen and you will not be charged.

I have done it on 2 of our vehicles for 2 separate tolls/concessionaires. Works like clockwork. May need a couple of patient visits to them depending upon how tech-savvy they are.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 13:53   #4868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
With the min. Rs. 70 balance rule to cross the RGSL toll plaza, it's gonna be difficult to get the old MEP tag down to exact Rs. 0. Is there any option of a balance transfer if/when we buy a Fastag from the RGSL office?
I don't think so. I guess you will have to forfeit the rest.

Quote:
For those with issues on the sealink.

I met a senior officer there and raised concerns because I have both MEP and fastag.

What they did is that they manually deactivated the fastag via my car number for sealink in their system. Shows as blacklisted.

Once I finish my MEP balance I need to tell them to reactivate it.

Tried a couple of journeys and it works. Just note: if you use the last lane, it reads the fastag first and shows blacklisted and the barrier doesn't work. You then need to shift to the next lane using the 'bypass' and then the MEP will read. If you go direct to second lane you will get blacklisted. Don't know why or how but that's the system.
Update: MEP raised an issue with Fastag and fastag refunded the Rs. 70 per trip that I was double charged for Fastag/MEP.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 14:30   #4869
Senior - BHPian

The ICICI fastag I got with my new car never gets read. Sometimes they check with the handheld scanner and the other times, they just let me go after entering the vehicle details and I get sms only a couple of days later.
Spoke to the customer care and they say I need to get the tag details updated at any toll plaza once for the tag to work properly. This is a first for me. Anyone heard about this update part before?
Old 11th February 2020, 14:54   #4870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The ICICI fastag I got with my new car never gets read. Sometimes they check with the handheld scanner and the other times, they just let me go after entering the vehicle details and I get sms only a couple of days later.
Spoke to the customer care and they say I need to get the tag details updated at any toll plaza once for the tag to work properly. This is a first for me. Anyone heard about this update part before?
I have NOT heard about getting the tag details updated at Toll Plaza. I have purchased two tags from IFDC bank and not done anything other than sticking them to the windshield for both the cars. Both of them just passes through the toll without any hassles. Only thing is, I maintain 200 INR minimum balance always.

However, assuming what is told by them is truth, probably below may be your scenario.

The Tag is manufactured but the ID is probably not scanned and updated in the National Toll System.

When the Tag is read by the Toll Sensor, it probably compares with National Toll System DB. Since your tag is not updated in their system, it is NOT getting read.

So, You may need to enter the Tag ID and other details in one of the tolls manually once so that it gets stored in their Database. To do this, You need to write down the EXACT number that is written on the Tag on a piece of paper and park your car after the toll for 10 mins, enter the booth, sit with the operator and get it entered.

Last edited by gkveda : 11th February 2020 at 15:01.
Old 11th February 2020, 14:59   #4871
BHPian

Quote:
Even I had this problem with ICICI tag.It was NEVER read automatically.It only got scanned when the handheld scanner was brought NEAR it. Ordered a tag from Amazon,activated it and voila,it gets detected automatically every time.
I suggest you ask for a replacement tag (which they never issued to me) or order it from Amazon or any other bank.
Old 11th February 2020, 18:40   #4872
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think so. I guess you will have to forfeit the rest.
Thanks for the update.

Curiosity got the best of me, and I went to enquire with the officials behind the counter at the RGSL office. Thankfully, it was early in the morning so it was empty and the guy didn't mind the barrage of questions. .

Quick summary for all the folks out there:

- RGSL is issuing IDFC tags. These aren't NHAI / Bank-neutral tags.

- Ensure to carry at least Rs. 200 IN COLD CASH ONLY. IDFC is yet to provide the office with a card swiping machine.

Of the 200: 100 is Security Deposit and 100 is the balance that will be loaded on the tag. There's no Tag issuance fee just like the SMS from MEP mentioned.

- Regarding the balance in the old MEP tag, use it till it comes to below Rs. 70. Apparently, after 31st March, they'll transfer the less-than-Rs. 70 balance from the old MEP tag to the Fastag. No clear picture as to the documents needed for that or the fees or whether balance transfer is possible to non-IDFC Fastags.
(I'm not peeling off the old MEP tag just yet. Let's see what happens post 31st March).

Last edited by sidpunjabi : 11th February 2020 at 18:45.
sidpunjabi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 13:01   #4873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The ICICI fastag I got with my new car never gets read.
If it is happening across multiple toll plazas, it could be an issue with that particular tag / batch of tags.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 18:11   #4874
BHPian

I haven't been able to read all 300+ pages although they must be packed with information but went through several of the previous pages - some posts seem to indicate a lot of Fastag issues.

I was browsing Amazon for Fastags but there are warnings from customers not to buy online. So which is the best way to purchase a Fastag? I have PayTM and accounts in HDFC, SBI, PNB and Corp banks. I don't mind hopping across to the nearest available outlet here either if that is the best place to acquire it.

Also, in recent years I have been out of town by road probably once or twice a year and expect the same in the future. Will the cash payment lanes be around for some more time, at least a few months?

It is possible that both questions have been addressed earlier, but I will appreciate any help.
Old 12th February 2020, 19:33   #4875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrodie View Post
I was browsing Amazon for Fastags but there are warnings from customers not to buy online. So which is the best way to purchase a Fastag? I have PayTM and accounts in HDFC, SBI, PNB and Corp banks. I don't mind hopping across to the nearest available outlet here either if that is the best place to acquire it.
Banks have special microsites for Fastag and you can buy them online providing relevant information and uploading the RC Book copy. I would recommend ICICI, Bank of Baroda, HDFC in that order. Normally the Fastag will be delivered with instruction about how to apply. (This is assuming you are looking for passenger car).

I'm not much of a fan of PayTM, but that's personal bias.

While most banks are using almost same software (based on the interface and menus) the above banks seem to be offering better customer support.
ascii is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed