Team-BHP - Will ya stop that!! Passenger habits that you hate!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Will ya stop that!! Passenger habits that you hate! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/34194-will-ya-stop-passenger-habits-you-hate-12.html)

Eating in the car is something I absolutely dislike. Drinking sticky liquids and eating Icecream etc are abhorrent practices. Chewing gum is fine. Eating crumbly puffs, bread and chips and other similar things is a real pain.

I do not allow it in my car.

Luckily I dont entertain pesky relatives with pesky kids and so on and luckily no one in my immediate family, friends and office circles, who usually sit in my car, indulge in this detestable behaviour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 3454718)
Eating in the car is something I absolutely dislike. Drinking sticky liquids and eating Icecream etc are abhorrent practices. Chewing gum is fine. Eating crumbly puffs, bread and chips and other similar things is a real pain.

I do not allow it in my car.

Luckily I dont entertain pesky relatives with pesky kids and so on and luckily no one in my immediate family, friends and office circles, who usually sit in my car, indulge in this detestable behaviour.

Agree with you but none of these best practices work in long rides, especially on NH7 and NH8 off from Bangalore. Going slightly OT, I had been to similar situations where there were no good dhabas, restaurants or hygenic eating options between 2012-2013on these two highways. And I was going along with wifey as if we both are on fast. stupid:

Lesson learnt: Stuff juices, eatables, snacks etc for long to very long drives. If not in car, atleast stopover a tea shop and consume.

Thanks

These are the things that I hate the most, but I keep facing them often:

1. Slamming the door shut just like they do in a Amby.

2. Kids who are capable of puking, I always had to sit at the edge of my seat.

3. There are instances when my passenger wants to get down, I pull over perhaps close to the platform such that when they open the door and swing it open, the door gets stuck on the platform (not sure if anyone experienced this) till this part I understand it was of no fault of the passenger and i agree i should have stopped a little away, the aftermath is what i hate. As soon as they see the door is stuck, they get tensed and give a wild tug at the door which of course results in a damage that is is not visible but felt by me. The simple solution to this would be the passenger getting down from the car. Once the weight is released, the door does not touch the platform and can be closed normally. They don't give me time to say this and just pull the door. This is one thing that I hate.

4. One unique behaviour that I have is - i love when people are sleeping when I drive, especially during long drives. The feel that I get when we arrive at the destination and waking them up is unexplainable. They wake up and look around with sleepy eyes and realize that we have reached - I love this feeling. Now the hating part - I hate when people dont sleep and instead keep watching the road ahead along with me. :D and they say that they are keeping me company so that I dont fall asleep. :Frustrati. The fact is, I drive even more better when people fall asleep.

I just went for a long road trip and one of the couples decided to tag along. I couldn't say no and it was the worst experience ever.

1. They ate and ate and ate. Of course, my seats came in handy when they wanted to wipe their hands. Crumbs and left overs thrown all across on the back seat & floor and oily marks on the seats. :Shockked: Thankfully I've got art leather seat covers so it was a little easy to clean afterwards.

2. The backside of the front seats was all dirty as they decided to not take out their footwear while relaxing in all weird positions in the car and putting dirt marks everywhere - seats, doors and where not. :Frustrati

I and my wife decided to never EVER make plans with another couple unless they are driving their own car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 3454871)
I just went for a long road trip and one of the couples ... They ate and ate and ate. Of course, my seats came in handy when they wanted to wipe their hands. Crumbs and left overs thrown all across on the back seat & floor and oily marks on the seats....The backside of the front seats was all dirty as they decided to not take out their footwear while relaxing in all weird positions in the car and putting dirt marks everywhere - seats, doors.....

lol: Made my day !! Hope rest of the things on the trip went fine with you.. Recently similar thing happened with me in car pooling from Rohini to Gurgaon hence I removed my ad from the famous car pool website..

I absolutely hate it when passengers in the car change the audio settings. Even the volume knob! When you are in my car, you better listen to what I want to listen to, at the volume I want to listen to and at the equalizer settings that I want. Unless, of course, I have given you explicit permission to play what you like. And in that case, don't keep asking me to change the songs or the volume.

Wow this was something that is straight from the heart.
I hate fellas who think the car door is for practicing tennis smash (would love to reverse their roles)
Never like to have people(especially acquaintances or friend's friend) fiddle with my music and comment it is not good hey it is my choice buddy.
Jumping jacks who think car seat is s trampoline.
Guys who double up for the rearview mirror and over helping by voluntary adjustment of ovrm man I feel like 😠😢

I hate:

1. Adjustment of driver seat position while taking my car for a spin. I arrive to a perfect seating position after lot of experiments and it just takes a second for others to spoil it. I agree if they ask permission but majority of them just bluntly operate all the adjustment levers with brute force.

2. Adjusting/turning the IRVM to the passenger side to comb the hair. None of them are willing to use the vanity mirror on the sun visor as its very small to their liking. One passenger had the audacity to turn the IRVM towards his side while I was driving.

3. Placing huge bags, shopping covers, etc on the parcel tray which obstructs the view.

I have been guilty of passenger seat driving (or side seat driving as my friend calls it) on quite a few occasions, even though I hate it myself.

This is because I have had two experiences that make me behave in this manner to only those two drivers (both of them my friends).

Experience 1:

This was in the year 2011, October to be exact. We had gone to Nagarhole in my 1997 Omni. We were six in total and four of us could drive and one of the four was a new driver (let's call him X). While returning we had stopped at Maddur and X wanted to have a go at the wheel. We let him drive and I sat on the passenger seat, so that I could take the next shift at the wheel.

X started haphazardly, maintained a speed of 40-50km/h. After some time he started to make mistakes like missing speed bumps and veering towards the divider (which I had to point out). So I told him:

Me: Macha nodkondu odso....
(Dude, be careful....)
X: Macha nange seriage kanstailla. Nan specs alli scratches ide....:Frustrati
(Dude, I am not able to see properly. I have scratches in my glasses).

After reaching Channapatna, where he once again missed a speed bump, I took over. After that we had a brake failure (thankfully nothing untoward happened).

Experience 2:

This was three months later. Me and another friend who was driving were travelling in his Alto. It had just stopped raining and we were in the Mekhri Circle underpass. We were approaching the point where we had to slow down due to change in the angle of the road because of a drain.

My friend approached the drain with greater speed than necessary and stamped on the brakes. We skidded and just kissed the bumper of a taxi in front of us. There were no damages for both of us.

After these incidents whenever I am in the passenger seat with these two as drivers, I involuntary start to give suggestions.

Strangely, it happens only with these two guys.stupid:

When I am in the driving seat, I hate people who keep fiddling with the stereo. Apart from this sin, I close my mind to all others so that it doesn't get on my nerves and interfere with my concentration.

IMHO, getting these things interfere when you are driving will only make you prone to mistakes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabrielthomas (Post 3454828)
4. One unique behaviour that I have is - i love when people are sleeping when I drive, especially during long drives. The feel that I get when we arrive at the destination and waking them up is unexplainable. They wake up and look around with sleepy eyes and realize that we have reached - I love this feeling. Now the hating part - I hate when people dont sleep and instead keep watching the road ahead along with me. :D and they say that they are keeping me company so that I dont fall asleep. :Frustrati. The fact is, I drive even more better when people fall asleep.

Well said Sir. On a recent trip to Chennai, my parents and kid were asleep and I found the drive fantastic. However, on the return journey, all of them were awake and I received occasional taps when I touched the 3 figure speed mark. I would definitely prefer co-passengers sleeping during drives.

Regards,

Samish

The passenger habits hated to the core are -

1. food and drink in car : I hate the smell, the leftover and the munching noise
2. Music preference violation: I hate the stupid RJs babbling on popular FM stations, what makes me feel better is personal choice with CDs/iPOD. Switching my pick of CD/ipod to FM on account of variety, it annoys me :Frustrati
3. Observers syndrome: Qs and Ps - Why you rev so much? Why you drive in lower gears? How much the average is? Is it not better to squeeze more FE? Gearshift should be smooth? Should give horn/indicator. comparing my car vs your..blah blah
4. Noise and chatterboxes in cars - distraction
5. I tend to focus better on driving when at high speed, this gives opportunity to wifey *Grins*

All the things aside may be you call it a paradox, I prefer driving with passengers over doing alone on long distance stupid:

Note From T-BHP Support: Please avoid using more than TWO emoticons in a post. It improves readability and helps reduce clutter. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabrielthomas (Post 3454828)

1. Slamming the door shut just like they do in a Amby.

2. Kids who are capable of puking, I always had to sit at the edge of my seat.

3. There are instances when my passenger wants to get down, I pull over perhaps close to the platform such that when they open the door and swing it open, the door gets stuck on the platform (not sure if anyone experienced this) till this part I understand it was of no fault of the passenger and i agree i should have stopped a little away, the aftermath is what i hate. As soon as they see the door is stuck, they get tensed and give a wild tug at the door which of course results in a damage that is is not visible but felt by me. The simple solution to this would be the passenger getting down from the car. Once the weight is released, the door does not touch the platform and can be closed normally. They don't give me time to say this and just pull the door. This is one thing that I hate.

I also hate these kind of co-passengers:

1. One who keeps asking when will the destination arrive?
2. One who keeps asking how much more do we have to go?

:)

The best of all: four people get in your car and all of them pull out their cell-phones and start talking till you reach your destination... leaving you in the middle of perfect 'noise'!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabrielthomas (Post 3457226)
I also hate these kind of co-passengers:

1. One who keeps asking when will the destination arrive?
2. One who keeps asking how much more do we have to go?

:)

+1 and 100 likes for your post. You know, I'd been to such situations and the outcome was very bad, as if I am driving a cab with no intent of arriving. Only way to deal with this in my personal opinion is to avoid taking such people for a ride.

I hate the most : "Someone who is relatively new(/indeed it does'nt matter to me if he is a experienced driver too) to driving asks if me to let him drive my car". There are some fellows who will not listen and jump on the driver seat at a food stop. This fellas are generally relatives and I politely turn them down and if they keep on ringing the bell then I have to shout at them and this Lion like roar keeps their tongue in a relatively relaxed mood.