Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 16:24   #2776
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Been around in this city for last 11 years now and just got back from a trip to Calcutta.

Few notes:
Roads in Bangalore are much much much better than Calcutta.
Road sense in Bangalore is really good compared to Calcutta. Although, Hyderabad is off the charts here.

However, where Bangalore scores badly is road rage. Too much anger and frustration in spite of so much available. This is where I was so surprised by Calcutta, where there's hardly any road rage inspite of the heat, the grime, the humidity and the horrible roads!

Bangalore was not like this when I came here..Somewhere down the line Bangalore and we Bangaloreans have lost our patience and along with that, our manners as well. Hand gestures, swearing, cursing, cutting across, the 'teaching a lesson' and this is what I am going to teach to my next generation!
We are slowly heading towards 'Do you know who I am' culture here. So, what are we going to do about it?
Old 11th October 2011, 16:36   #2777
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The tipping point in any issue related to road behavior in this city is whether you are local or not. Whose fault it is be damned. From the cobbler on the street to the MLA will side with the local person, even if he is charged with murder. Go to any level to complain you will be shunned, ignored, warned or threatened on your face, if they get to know you are not a local.

This is a fact. I have seen this myself. And bore the burnt of it. Who ever does not like it. Come and stand with me and we will see. Don't give me bhashan's here. I have put my families safety at risk because of this. You wont even have the spine to do half of it.

Remember the one who keeps quite is helping in the crime.

I have seen enough of this nonsense here. I am not dividing anyone but trying to open your eyes to the reality.

A person being dragged by a driver in a car does not get you alarmed but a post that says local gets your blood boiling?? That is exactly the type of people who will doom this city. These are the same people who will use their local card to wriggle out of issues anywhere.

Wake up and smell the air. Today it is us they are after, tomorrow it is going to be one of you.

Mugging has become so common place now that it does not even get reported anymore.
Spitfire buddy, I feel just as strongly about this issue; I really do. I could probably write a book on the huge discrimination that I see rampant these days and the amount of my blood it boils!

But what I have realized is, there is not much point talking about it. The ones indulging in it are on the streets, none of them educated (not degree-wise) and mature enough to understand and correct it. The ones subconsciously supporting it, are oblivious to what's happening.

As much as I appreciate the fact that despite all odds, you have the courage to fight it out, I feel this thread is not really a place this issue can be discussed. The whole discussion takes a wild ride and loses it's intention altogether.

Be safe man! I know for a fact that if I'm in trouble, I'd rather give you a call than a "local". Just that, I lost your number.

PS : Can we all cool down now and discuss something we can all unanimously bitch about please? How about the roads and flyover construction mess?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th October 2011 at 20:51.
Old 11th October 2011, 16:44   #2778
Senior - BHPian

I am what most of you would describe as a "local" and i've had my share of bad experiences on the road in my 4 years of riding/driving in bangalore.

I've noticed only auto/cab drivers gang up against car owners, and if the car owner happens to be an outsider he encounters more aggression from these chaps, not to mention the goons(political party workers/anti-social elements) are also famous for threats like "Know who i am?". None of them have the guts to do anything more than threaten you, thinking that you will get scared and may be pay up or yield to his demands.

I stayed in Chennai for a year, though the roads were far better than in bangalore, people lacked any respect for traffic rules but no one cared to 'i'll teach him a lesson' or even bother to gesture, exchange stares or swear at each other. Let alone clicking pics and posting on threads like these.

When i came back i noticed a drastic change in the attitude of road users in bangalore. Somehow, everyone's decided to vent their anger/frustrations on fellow road users and that's led to all these problems.

What that Innova driver did is barbaric and i hope he pays for it!

@Iron4hawk: Cops are no better in other cities. I've had to pay fines when locals who knew tamil got away. No point singling out bangalore.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 11th October 2011 at 17:04.
Old 11th October 2011, 16:44   #2779
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
But what I have realized is, there is not much point talking about it.
Yeah!! That's why I was silent on this thread. And in hindsight I should have kept my mouth shut

Things wont change by arguing here. Need to get back to doing what I am.

I am an activist. LOL!! And to people who think I don't have anything better to do. I am a firm believer in karma and fear that something I don't act upon today to help a fellow human being will come back to me someday.

Check your PM for the cell number.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 16:53   #2780
Team-BHP Support

Interesting discussion this one. I am a "local", born and brought up right here in bangalore. Firstly the whole "locals are against non-locals" concept should not be generalized. Most of the locals here including me are quite welcoming and accomodative by nature and we do not view non-kannadigas as outsiders or alienate them in any way. Please do not categorize all locals as being hostile.

Out on the road, I agree with you, that when there is an issue, the non-local is at more risk of getting blamed. An offense is an offense, irrespective of whether the local/non-local has committed it. I have at times sided with the non-local and verbally bashed (in kannada) the "local" offender who tried to take advantage of the language issue. The problem lies largely with the autorickshaws/cab drivers/bus driver factions which seem to think that the non-local has no connections and hence cannot cause any harm if they misbehave with them. They are that much more careful when dealing with a local, for the same reason.

I do not agree with the spineless behaviour being a "local" thing. It has more to do with the whole system and the amount of corruption, and is not restricted to just Bangalore. Most people don't want to get unnecessarily involved in something which might endanger their own lives if a scuffle breaks out, can't blame them for that. I have seen people running away from accident scenes (even when the victim needed help) for fear of becoming "witnesses" and getting stuck with the system, being forced to give statements acquitting the offender.

P.S - if anyone needs any localite help at some point, feel free to PM

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th October 2011 at 16:59.
KarthikK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 17:37   #2781
Oxy
BHPian

KarthikK - We need more of your breed in this city, you are certainly a rare one!

Trust me, there are not many people here who take a stand against the wrongdoer irrespective of whether he is a local or not.
Old 11th October 2011, 17:50   #2782
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
WHAT THE MAN!!!
Mark my words soon each of us are going to be victims of this. Those who think they are safe because they are locals are going to get the most hit. We outsiders can move out. The locals will have to rot in the hell they helped create.
Not fair to generalise like that mate. Yes, I have witnessed this attitude difference of Auto/ cab drivers, cops , Govt. officials etc.. towards locals and non locals. And I can understand your sentiment. It is the same feeling which locals here would face when visiting or working in another state like TN etc... I am a Kannadiga who looks like a Punjabi . I have seen an immediate change in attitude when I open my mouth and speak in Kannada. It is sad that things have become like this in our city. When we moved to Bangalore from Mumbai some 22 years back we found this city to be so peaceful and calm compared to Mumbai.... almost lazy. We found the people here to be so non aggressive and accommodating. But in the past 10 years things have changed and how!! The city has exploded due to the employment opportunities it offers, education institutions, healthcare facilities and of course people just love the weather here!

I think this 'non local' feeling for non kannadigas in Bangalore is a transition phase. Some eight or ten years down the line these same people are going to be locals right? Just see Mumbai now. You find people from all over country making a living in the city. Can you call a non marathi speaking person a non Mumbaikar?

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 11th October 2011 at 17:52.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 21:55   #2783
BANNED

Guys, this is surely not generalizing. My previous house owner who is a local and well connected at that, backs me blindly.

He was first amused to see police coming home a couple of times. Then he asked what is the matter. I told him how it goes. He first tried making sense to me that this will not work and not to bother. But that didn't help. He then joined me in the concerns because of the language gap and the unruly guys asking questions in the neighborhood.

I have utmost respect to the people from this state. I even have relatives in the Konkan belt extending into this state. So I am not an alien. By mother tongue konkani is also a spoken language here.

My issue is with the local people who do not step up to help in a situation when it demands that the person in the right needs help. And this has been my biggest concern. As soon as the other party is not a local the whole crowd goes against him/her. Even women are not spared. An autorickshaw driver can slap a lady on HAL Airport Road and get away with it. Not one single person comes forward?? In a place like Bangalore? Don't tell me it happens in the rest of the country. I am in Bangalore, I care about this place. Tomorrow if I go to the other town and get the same attitude, I am going to say the same things.

In all this remember I am an outsider and if I can do even this small bit. All the rest on the road can turn this city around.

I rest my case.

I got PMs from some awesome people on here. And those PMs made it all worthwhile. Thanks guy, you know who you guys are. I am going to take a day to reply to your mails. Because seriously I am overwhelmed by what you guys have mentioned in there.

Because I know you great people are on the road. Me and my family are that much more safer. Thanks.
Spitfire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 22:49   #2784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its Spitfire.

I have to attend to a hit and run case against another cab driver in Varthur Police Station as an eye-witness. I need a competent and helpful guy like you to back me up. I cant write in Kannada so your help will be really appreciated.

Can you make it. Let me know your convenience of time, anytime this week. The affected party is a daily wage laborer from North Karanataka and is a local.

Thanks in advance for helping us out on this.
Sir, this is not to antagonize you any further but what has your work got to do with what blackstallion mentioned?

There may be many spineless locals along with extra-spined locals and this is a case with every city not alone Bangalore. I hope you will agree with that.

One non-local came and rammed into my parked car over the weekend and I had to infuse a bit of spine in him to come to the police station just to make the cops give me an acknowledgment of the accident and he made sure he had 3 people with him accompanying him and all along I was assuring him that I do not intend to file a complaint against him but only get an acknowledgment from the police for insurance claim and he went on saying he doesn't need the acknowledgment. So in the right spirit - lets continue ranting about what we are supposed to than bring in regionalism in this. I hope you understand.

just fyi - i am also a Goan by origin, (roots in Ponda) speak konkani and also the local language. along with a bit of English and Hindi

Thanks.

Last edited by Shubz : 11th October 2011 at 22:51.
Old 12th October 2011, 10:41   #2785
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Sir, this is not to antagonize you any further but what has your work got to do with what blackstallion mentioned?
Walk the Talk. I can give bhashan's too.

Quote:
There may be many spineless locals along with extra-spined locals and this is a case with every city not alone Bangalore. I hope you will agree with that.
Heading of the post mentions Bangalore. Open a thread for other towns and we will see it there. I am in Bangalore, don't expect me to try and change another town.

If it happens in Guyana or Afghanistan is it ok if it happens here? LOL!! The argument that it happens everywhere gives me jack. And people who come up with that argument are part of the problem.

Quote:
only get an acknowledgment from the police for insurance claim and he went on saying he doesn't need the acknowledgment.
Insurance does not need any acknowledgment, unless there is loss of life or grievous injuries.

And you substantiate my point by mentioning him getting along 3 supporters. That's how how much everyone in this city feels secure. No non-local has the guts to enter the corrupt government offices of this city. You might have gone with your best behavior but knowing how people treat non-locals here, once you get to the police station everything changes drastically.

Quote:
I hope you understand.
I will never understand. I want a peaceful existence and fear of the law in the hearts of people who break it just because they can get away with it. Help me bring that city to that level. Then I understand. Stand up for every injustice done on the roads -cabs, autos, buses, anywhere. Being a local you have an upper hand. Use it to help the people in the right.

Quote:
just fyi - i am also a Goan by origin, (roots in Ponda) speak konkani and also the local language. along with a bit of English and Hindi
Patrao, We should meet up.
Old 12th October 2011, 10:56   #2786
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's Note: Guys, please stick to the topic of the thread i.e. Bangalore traffic and not digress into regional undertones in this thread.

We will have to start snipping if this discussion goes any further.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:18   #2787
Senior - BHPian

I am hoping the mods will clean up this thread. Its disgusting to read most of the posts here. Why are we talking about people, their origins in a traffic thread? Lets not stoke resentment by repeatedly talking about non-traffic things.
Everybody knows what the distribution of people in this city is and the areas where these things repeatedly happen are the places where people from this city/state do not even with to live.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:40   #2788
Team-BHP Support

The junction between Silk board and BTM Bharti Axa signal, the BTM lake road joining ORR has been made a one way and vehicles can't join ORR anymore from the lake road. For some reason, this seems to be causing a huge amount of traffic pileup all along that stretch, increasing the load on Udupi garden signal also (which was quite smooth all the while).

I have started taking a shortcut when returning home; only do-able with a 2 wheeler though. Right turn from HSR at Silk board towards total mall -> immediate left below the flyover bridge. For identification, this left turn has a height barrier installed. The road enters some slum area and comes out at the interior BTM layout side of Udupi garden signal (the road next to the BP petrol bunk) and you can rejoin ORR from there. This saves around 10 minutes of commute time every evening. Do not attempt with a car, those slum roads are too narrow.
Old 16th October 2011, 12:24   #2789
Senior - BHPian

I had a road-rage experience yesterday afternoon. While going towards Sarjapur, the railway gate near Decathlon was closed. Once it opened, the traffic line on the other side was quite long. After some 300 meters, there is a median. A Tata Ace guy came on the wrong side, in my lane. I got a big agitated, so I simply stopped in front of him instead of moving to left lane. He honked a couple of times, got down from his truck and started abusing me. I got my window slightly down and asked why he was breaking rules. As if to support his cause, a BMTC bus followed by a private Qualis too came on the wrong side. I saw no hope and no reason to give him a speech, so started my car. That's when he abused me (and my family), which blew my lid off. I took a reverse and again stopped in front of him.

He kept abusing me, and called up someone who he referred to as elder brother, and kept saying that his is a market truck and he'll make sure that I don't ever drive again. He looked really funny, so I clicked a photo of him. He abused me more, saying he'll open his pants also for the photo. Then I saw no point, since he will never accept his fault, so left the scene. As I left, he called me a coward and punched my car. Luckily, no damage to the car. Whew, that's my friend's car, not even mine.

As long as he thinks twice before jumping to the wrong side again, my effort has paid off.

Dunno if I should upload his photo here
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 12:26   #2790
BANNED

My note on Bangalore Traffic. Whatever they do with infrastructure in Bangalore, 6 lane flyovers and what not. Unless Traffic sense is buried into the heads of the users. There is not going to be any change.

On the new flyover at Banaswadi, a tanker comes down the wrong side!! In the middle lane at 1830 hours.

Hell its not even surprising now but utterly disgusting. I blocked his way and the guy then goes to the right lane. blocking two lanes. Guess what the guys behind me advise me - to move off and let him go.

I believe all the people on the road have submitted to the nonsense in this city. One guy said I can expect you to listen to us but not the scum in the tanker. DUH!! Even hope is lost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
As long as he thinks twice before jumping to the wrong side again, my effort has paid off.
HA HA HA HA!!! You believe that will happen. HA HA HA HA!!!

Last edited by Spitfire : 16th October 2011 at 12:29.

Most Viewed