Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 14:33   #721
Senior - BHPian

lol great job as usual Spitfire I stay behind the big bazaar on the OMR and am fortunate enough to have a footpath outside my apt, unfortunately the footpath and area adjacent to the BB has been made into a parking with 2 wheeler riders usiing the footpath all the time.
THis gets even worse on weekends. The issue is that there are cars parked adjacent to the road (where 2 wheelers should park) so its a vicious circle. Though cops used to challan cars quite often, I find that this has hardly made a difference. Infact police men just dont bother to challan now (atleast I havent seen them for a while).

Last edited by sammyboy : 10th August 2009 at 14:38.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:45   #722
BHPian

I think Bangalore traffic consists of atleast 20% Auto's. And the way they drive, take left turns, right turns, U turns as per their whims and wishes. Not bothering about other road users, they come in One way, stop in the middle of the road and park at the Corners.

One solution to their haphazard driving can be curbed by replacing their Handle with a Steering wheel.
Old 10th August 2009, 16:51   #723
BHPian

Yup, seems to be a good idea to fit steering wheel instead of handles would certainly reduce their "dancing between the lanes" attitude and improve a bit of safety on the roads.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:43   #724
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I find that this has hardly made a difference.
Thing is we give up too soon. I have seen a positive difference in the attitude of the traffic police in Bangalore over the last one year. Maybe due to the fact of the change in governance.

We need to keep at it.

I never expected my friday call to be taken up today. I mentioned working days to them so they came on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
One solution to their haphazard driving can be curbed by replacing their Handle with a Steering wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
Yup, seems to be a good idea to fit steering wheel instead of handles would certainly reduce their "dancing between the lanes" attitude and improve a bit of safety on the roads.
How will steering wheels instead of handles do any good?

What if they attach a small diameter wheel? instead of the 5 meter radius approved steering wheel.

Cab drivers have steering wheels no?
Old 12th August 2009, 14:25   #725
BHPian

Well, yesterday I had a fracas with a yellow board sumo in Sarjapur road. I was in the middle lane in a stop go traffic at 8:30 PM and this sumo just manages to squeeze in to the left lane and stops alongside me. I was taken aback coz just ahead in the left lane there was some construction going on and he had no way to go ahead.

This was visible from a long distance and so evryone were either in the middle lane or the right lane. Then he does the classical manoeuvre. Slightly inches his vehicle ahead and tries to push me to get into the middle lane. I got mad. I move ahead and he still tries the same manoeuvre and this time his right rear view mirror brushes my left rear view mirror. That's it. I lower the window and hurl the choicest of abuses in Kannada and was about to stop the vehicle. Before it turns ugly he stops his vehicle and let's me pass.

I would have definitely allowed him to pass had he just gave me an eye contact and requested to be allowed but like a bully he tried to push me and my emotion got the better off me.

I have also seen several BMTC buses doin the same way. For eg, a bus stops at the bus stop to to pick some passengers and then swerves sharply to right to steer clear of the bus stopped in the front without giving a damn about the traffic from behind.
Old 12th August 2009, 14:51   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post

I have also seen several BMTC buses doin the same way.

Welcome to Bangalore ! This happens to me everyday !

City of no rules, no courtesy, no roads and no (properly trained) policemen !!

City where autos / three-wheelers travel slowly on the right lane forcing you to cross-lanes often.

City where every bus stop is located immediately after a signal or a turn.

City where buses are never stopped for violating speed limites but cars are.

City where everyone stops ONLY after crossing the stop line.

City where red demons (Volvo buses) rule the road (if there's a road).

City where you can park right infront of the No Parking board.

City where an entire family and their dog will travel on a single bike - again on the right lane - with a number of articles dangling from each person.

City where non-descript "private buses" - I call them Brittannia Biscuit Tins - have the right to stop anywhere, take any number of people and go right-royally on the wrong side.

City where you are allowed to go on the wrong side, if you use high beam lights.

City where once, in Koramangala (BDA Complex), I saw a "policeman" wearing lungi 'regulating' traffic.

City where on Saturdays and Sundays policemen also take OFF.

City where an entire car - with a full family inside - disappear into a ditch, when it rains heavily.

Welcome to Bangalore !
Old 12th August 2009, 14:54   #727
Team-BHP Support

I regularly ride my bike to office. But thanks to the ever increasing pollution, and a gradual reduction in my tolerance to pollution, i now come by car to work since the past week or so.

I am driving on the busy EPIP main road proceeding towards my office on the same road, when a Tempo Traveller constantly keeps honking as if his mother is about to give birth this very second. Sitting on his elevated throne, i wonder if he cannot but see that there is no way i can give him space to go unless i either fly, or else go underground. However, his pea-sized brain doesnt think so. He bullies, he tries to squeeze and what not! Finally, when i have space i let him go, not before showing him the great salute in the form of my waving middle finger. I wonder what he had for breakfast! Oh yes, lest i forget the damned vehicle was running empty.
Old 12th August 2009, 14:58   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's it. I lower the window and hurl the choicest of abuses in Kannada and was about to stop the vehicle.
Man you got to teach us some of those. PM me the list
Old 12th August 2009, 15:02   #729
BHPian

Quote:
This was visible from a long distance and so evryone were either in the middle lane or the right lane. Then he does the classical manoeuvre. Slightly inches his vehicle ahead and tries to push me to get into the middle lane.
Junction infront of Manipal Hospital would be another classic case for such experience, when you are driving down from M G Road side towards the HAL Airport direction. Crossing this signal always gives me some fretful moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
For me too, please!!

Last edited by menonrajesh : 12th August 2009 at 15:05.
Old 12th August 2009, 15:12   #730
Senior - BHPian

On the morning drive to office today, I was behind a truck (the sand carrying type). There is a up-slope and with a BMTC bus coming down. Narrow two way road.

One hero in a bike decides to over the truck from the left. Since the truck has occupied the available tar surface, this jack decides to do his stunt on the small mud area available.

Unfortunately for him, there was a small hump and hole on the mud area and this caused him to lose control of his bike for a second. The bikes tail jumps out of line and the guy does some standing and circus and gets back the control. All this happening with the truck at 40kmph and he is right between the front and back wheel are of the truck.

Hero proceed to accelerate to glory and drive away, leaving the trucks cleaner, who also noticed this with wide eyes, shouting blessing to him.

It would have been a very bad turn of event if that monkey on wheels had not got control back - his fall would definitely been right below the back wheels of the truck!

Some people never learn!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
... For me too, please!!
+3 to that!

Sometimes, doing the wrong thing is the right thing!
Old 12th August 2009, 15:19   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Junction infront of Manipal Hospital would be another classic case for such experience, when you are driving down from M G Road side towards the HAL Airport direction. Crossing this signal always gives me some fretful moments
Add the Silk board junction to the list, when you take a right turn coming from Madiwala, going towards BTM. There is a left turn also but at peak hours it gets blocked by morons who have to go right....

And after that, there is a single lane right turn to go to Madiwala lake road. Again often there are two lanes of traffic going into that single lane.

Strangely enough, there are traffic cops stationed at both the intersections.
Old 12th August 2009, 15:42   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

For me too, please!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

+3 to that!
This is a typical mangolerean abuse. " naayi so**e magane elli saayalikke hogtha iddhi..." . This would be still punchy in the native mangalorean dialect called tulu.

PS: Mods, I'm not sure if this is permissible but if not please reprimand the blokes who requested this
Old 12th August 2009, 15:52   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...PS: Mods, I'm not sure if this is permissible but if not please reprimand the blokes who requested this
Hahhaa... definitely the way the law is to be taken - shoot the instigators first!
Then shoot the criminal!
Old 12th August 2009, 16:20   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
City of no rules, no courtesy, no roads and no (properly trained) policemen !!

Welcome to Bangalore !
I can add one or two more, but you have summed it up nicely
A city of potholed roads interspersed with speed breakers.
A city where traffic is not regulated by traffic lights (the ones erected in front of BB OMR is an exmple)
Old 12th August 2009, 16:40   #735
BHPian

This can happen ONLY in BANGALORE.

Let me explain.

I was on whitefield road near Zuri, going towards Hoodi Circle. There is a wiegh-bridge counter just before Zuri, so there was a huge queue of around 25-30 trucks waiting on the left most lane for their turn into wiegh-bridge. As one lane is blocked because of this and the other lane is moving really slowly, some idiots (cabbies, BMTC, private cars, two-wheelers all included) decide to go on the wrong side and zoom past everybody.

There is a lot of traffic coming from Hoodi Circle as well, and hence the traffic on that road also gets really slow and have almost reached a dead-lock. Now comes the funniest part. Some idiots on that road also decide to go on the wrong side to zoom past everybody.

So now you just imagine the situation (if you can) where there is a 4 lane road with a divider and there is traffic flowing on both sides in both directions .

I manage to sneak through this stretch (because I am on a two-wheeler) just before entire traffic stops because of dead-locks on both side.

Hats off to Bangalore traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks