Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2019, 20:03   #1801
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Not a good system for India. My Tiguan hit a dog and the pedestrian safety system got activated.

Right after the incident, I tried to push down the hood to close it. It was huge disappointment though. Actuators are for one time trigger and once triggered, it needs replacement in pair. Costed around 40k for parts and skilled labor.
Hope the dog wasnt hurt
Tarz is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 21:02   #1802
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
This also could be a cause
This particular crash was primarily because of driver error. A member of the Whatsapp group from where I initially got this news said so (I mentioned this in the oil-spill thread as well). According to him the driver was "showing off" and it seems not everyone is capable enough to "show off" a rwd mustang!
jkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 01:27   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Disturbing news of a Brand New Porsche 992 Carrera S TDV crashing into a median with Trees at a very high rate of velocity. Happened few days back at Lucknow, UP leaving a Porsche Center Delhi executive dead and one seriously injured. RIP to the departed soul.

Leaving us to question how such high end brands seem to allow novices behind the wheel to test drive high performance cars at terrible speeds on public roads with impunity.

Link to News: https://www.amarujala.com/lucknow/ma...-lko4828474109

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-whatsapp-image-20190922-9.37.11-pm.jpeg

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-whatsapp-image-20190922-9.37.12-pm2.jpeg

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-whatsapp-image-20190922-9.37.12-pm.jpeg

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-whatsapp-image-20190922-9.37.13-pm.jpeg
ShortShifter is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 02:20   #1804
BHPian

Wow, this might be the first crashed 992 in the world.

Porsche 911s inherently have great traction, owing to the rear engine design. The Carrera's don't even have much power and the torque is perfectly managed by the pdk. They're probably the safest and easiest to drive sports cars out there as long as you understand how different the handling of a 911 is to other mid-engine and FF/FR cars.

I have no doubt that the car must have been being driven at speeds twice or thrice the speed-limit. It seems to me like a test drive/demonstration gone wrong with a rich, reckless client who ran out of skill.

Let's see what course the law takes, in this case.
raystriker is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:14   #1805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter View Post
Disturbing news of a Brand New Porsche 992 Carrera S TDV crashing into a median with Trees at a very high rate of velocity...
This is ghastly. May the departed soul rest in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
Porsche 911s inherently have great traction, owing to the rear engine design. The Carrera's don't even have much power and the torque is perfectly managed by the pdk. They're probably the safest and easiest to drive sports cars out there as long as you understand how different the handling of a 911 is to other mid-engine and FF/FR cars.
Rear-engined cars like the 911 could be a bit tricky to handle at high speeds. Yes, it does have great traction, but that's only under acceleration, when the weight shifts to the rear. Even then, traction at the front is reduced under acceleration, and would result in understeer if your try to corner.

Also, the rear-engine design of the car makes it prone to snap oversteer. As the weight shifts to the front under deceleration, traction at the rear is reduced, and the rear weight bias would make it act like a pendulum as you corner above certain speeds, making the car spin out unpredictably.

Now, this was true for 911s of yore. While the later cars have had a bevy of electronic driver aids to make them more manageable, they still demand a certain level of skill from the driver, and they need to be treated with respect.
Turbojc is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:24   #1806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post

Rear-engined cars like the 911 could be a bit tricky to handle at high speeds. Yes, it does have great traction, but that's only under acceleration, when the weight shifts to the rear. Even then, traction at the front is reduced under acceleration, and would result in understeer if your try to corner.
You're doing something wrong, if you're accelerating in a corner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post
Also, the rear-engine design of the car makes it prone to snap oversteer. As the weight shifts to the front under deceleration, traction at the rear is reduced, and the rear weight bias would make it act like a pendulum as you corner above certain speeds, making the car spin out unpredictably.

Now, this was true for 911s of yore. While the later cars have had a bevy of electronic driver aids to make them more manageable, they still demand a certain level of skill from the driver, and they need to be treated with respect.
Which is why I said that one needs to understand the difference in handling characteristics of rear engine cars vs Front engine rwd and fwd cars. What you said, was given. Which, on second thought might not be apparent to many people on here. Good explanation though.

Last edited by raystriker : 23rd September 2019 at 09:30.
raystriker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:37   #1807
BHPian

Quote:
You're doing something wrong, if you're accelerating in a corner!
Brake before the corner and accelerate through the corner and exit. Never brake while in or while exiting a corner.
swissknife is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:44   #1808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Brake before the corner and accelerate through the corner and exit.
Correct, for a fwd car. For a rwd car, accelerate only at corner exit.

Of course, all of this differs depending about the intent and tuning of a car.

What you do for a Hellcat will be different from a Miata. What you can do with a Civic Type R will be different than what you can do with a Toyota Etios.

Last edited by raystriker : 23rd September 2019 at 09:52.
raystriker is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 22:16   #1809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Brake before the corner and accelerate through the corner and exit. Never brake while in or while exiting a corner.
Quote:
Correct, for a fwd car. For a rwd car, accelerate only at corner exit.
This is not super-car stuff, it is basic driving skills! If I remember it correctly (I hope!) my earliest lesson on this, probably from my dad nearly fifty years ago, was brake on approach, power through, accelerate out.

But I have mentioned before the sales-department colleague who had the company's sweetest car, its only sports car, sheepishly admitting that he had learned not to brake while cornering. He wrote off the car. Company was stupid enough to buy him another one. Hmmm... I suppose he did actually sell stuff, which was more than could be said for some.

So, around the world there are people who are driving powerful, even exotic, cars, just because they can afford to buy one, or look as if they can. Many may be true, skilled enthusiasts --- but some don't even know the A-B-C of driving.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 22:20   #1810
Team-BHP Support

I think the most hazardous profession in the Indian automotive industry is not Motor Racing, mot even Motor Bike Racing - its High End Automotive retailing. First the Range Rover Evoque accident in Bangalore, then this. All within a year.
ajmat is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 11:04   #1811
BHPian

A c63 S too at one of the Mercedes dealership was crashed during the TD at nice road.
nandishpal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 11:07   #1812
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
A c63 S too at one of the Mercedes dealership was crashed during the TD at nice road.
Was this recent? Akshaye Motors have been trying to sell a demo 2016 C63S for quite a long time
Old 24th September 2019, 11:13   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Was this recent? Akshaye Motors have been trying to sell a demo 2016 C63S for quite a long time
This might be the same car, recent? - I think it was around 2016.
Old 29th September 2019, 07:23   #1814
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The real problem is that, to most people a test drive means driving hard. No, no, no. Take your time & first understand the car. See how she behaves. Get comfortable. Start driving really easy and then, slowly & steadily increase the revs.

The above is for regular cars. For high-performance sports cars, the learning process can take a couple of days. But some fools think they can simply get in, floor the accelerator & drive like Lewis Hamilton.
GTO is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 07:53   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The real problem is that, to most people a test drive means driving hard. No, no, no. Take your time & first understand the car. See how she behaves. Get comfortable. Start driving really easy and then, slowly & steadily increase the revs.

The above is for regular cars. For high-performance sports cars, the learning process can take a couple of days. But some fools think they can simply get in, floor the accelerator & drive like Lewis Hamilton.

I might be generalizing or stereotyping but to be honest, I think it's a spoilt rich person thing and not a "to test drive a car, drive hard" thing.

Many of my rich friends (co-incidentally young adults, male, parent's money) drive their euro luxury cars like absolute maniacs. I think they've come to believe that they're amazing drivers (and it's totally not the car's excellent electronics saving them). It may be second nature of them to drive fast since it's a habit?

Last edited by raystriker : 29th September 2019 at 07:56.
raystriker is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks