Full GQ 17 27.87%
Others - Please mention in thread 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 14:01   #256
BANNED

Let me (on behalf of the GQ team) say / ask the following:

1. Convoy driving cannot happen, at least on the entire GQ. Too many outstation cars attract unwanted attention. We were very lucky on our GQ drive to not get stopped anywhere (except for one instance) - we were in 2 SUVs, travelling with headlights on in certain sections.

2. The costs per head likely to be in the region of 20K - 25K for the entire drive.

3. Please give thought to all possible combinations of "What If"?
a) a vehicle breaks down
b) a participant falls sick
c) sick partipant happens to be vehicle owner

These are just 3 easy examples. We can think of many more examples of what can go wrong during such a drive.

4. While a lot of the GQ stretch is in good shape, there are stretches where cars will take a beating. Our advice to those wanting to take their cars is to wait for the entire GQ to be complete. Those who have done Chitradurga - Haveri on NH4, this stretch is smooth compared to some of the bad stretches.

5. As of today (and this holds good for February as well), a trip like this is best done in a closed group and with a maximum of 2-3 vehicles, preferably SUVs. And please remember, the vehicles have to be in PERFECT shape.

Last edited by hrag : 13th January 2009 at 14:02.
Old 13th January 2009, 14:20   #257
BHPian

Wow! This sounds extremely exciting guys, I wouldve loved to participate - alas these couple of months I cant. All the best for your trip, be safe and get some nice pics for us to see.
Old 13th January 2009, 14:50   #258
evo
BHPian

Ouch! Thank you for the jarring reality check! Was needed.

However, let us do how much we can do, I`m sure that in the end the entire GQ will not have more than 2-3 cars. On certain parts more people will join in, so there wont be massive convoys on the entire road.

Lets do this. However much we can.
Old 13th January 2009, 15:13   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Ouch! Thank you for the jarring reality check! Was needed.

However, let us do how much we can do, I`m sure that in the end the entire GQ will not have more than 2-3 cars. On certain parts more people will join in, so there wont be massive convoys on the entire road.

Lets do this. However much we can.
As of now, we have over 10 cars for the entire GQ drive, and 20 for parts of it. I expect at any point in time at least 12-15 cars will be doing some stretch or the other. This calls for tremendous organisational skills.

hrag has made one valuable point here which I must re-emphasise - if someone has problems en route, he will have to back out (and manage on his own) since the others have to complete the drive within the stipulated timetable - what does the team feel about that?

So far, except for the Baroda, Delhi and Calcutta guys, there is no one en route to provide support. I am especially worried about the Delhi-Cal and Cal-Madras sectors
Old 13th January 2009, 16:06   #260
BHPian

HVKumarji,
Count me in from Bangalore for the entire GQ stretch.

I can get my Swift Diesel (6 months old, completed 20k kms).
I can accomodate 3 more guys, anyone from Bangalore interested to join ?
Old 13th January 2009, 16:12   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
HVKumarji,
Count me in from Bangalore for the entire GQ stretch.

I can get my Swift Diesel (6 months old, completed 20k kms).
I can accomodate 3 more guys, anyone from Bangalore interested to join ?
Pooling - that is the way to go. I think we need to look at ways how we can reduce the number of participating cars, unless each car is got a decent capacity, it is going to become very expensive.

For example, our 6-day trip cost us RS 62,000 - or Rs 12,600 per head, or Rs 2,000 per head per day - despite that the costs were for 2 Diesel cars, and spread across 5 heads. Bear in mind that stay (5 days) and food expenses (6 days) were limited, and I think even the hrag estimate of 25k per head may be surpassed in the Team drive of Feb. Needless to say, for petrol cars it is going to be even more expensive, considering our actual costs were for diesel SUVs, one giving 13 kmpl and the other almost 12 kmpl.
Old 13th January 2009, 16:24   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Pooling - that is the way to go. I think we need to look at ways how we can reduce the number of participating cars, unless each car is got a decent capacity, it is going to become very expensive.

For example, our 6-day trip cost us RS 62,000 - or Rs 12,600 per head, or Rs 2,000 per head per day - despite that the costs were for 2 Diesel cars, and spread across 5 heads. Bear in mind that stay (5 days) and food expenses (6 days) were limited, and I think even the hrag estimate of 25k per head may be surpassed in the Team drive of Feb. Needless to say, for petrol cars it is going to be even more expensive, considering our actual costs were for diesel SUVs, one giving 13 kmpl and the other almost 12 kmpl.
See, we did just for 6 days, so the number of stays, food expenses were reduced. On the other hand, if you guys are planing to do it for 12days as previously planned, then cost would be more. in case you wanna do it leisurely over 12 to 14 days, then normal sedans will do. Max of 4 people in one car/SUV will be ideal.

Else, SUV would be best bet. No dont ask me which one

If there are more cars, split among yourselves into 3 or 4 groups of 2 or 3 cars each. So, you can have 1 or 2 regrouping points per day [1 - BF and 2nd Dinner. hahaha]

Also, if you do it slowly, you can cover some important cities like Ahmadabad (car museum in the highway), Udaipur & jaipur, Agra (TajMahal), Allahabad (Sangam), Varanasi (Ganges), etc.

These are some items in my list, .

So, money spent is more justified, atleast as per your family & friends. Lol.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:17   #263
BANNED

Quote:
As of now, we have over 10 cars for the entire GQ drive, and 20 for parts of it.
It would be interesting to see current numbers.

Another aspect of the trip: You are going to be (literally) living with your co-passengers for the duration of the trip. This may sound harsh but either your ego has to be left at home and/ or you need to make sure you know your co-passengers very well (and vice versa). This is irrespective of whether you are a driver or a passenger.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:24   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Also, if you do it slowly, you can cover some important cities like Ahmadabad (car museum in the highway), Udaipur & jaipur, Agra (TajMahal), Allahabad (Sangam), Varanasi (Ganges), etc.

These are some items in my list, .

So, money spent is more justified, atleast as per your family & friends. Lol.

Just my 2 cents.
Saar, this is a GQ Drive, not an all-India holiday. Bear in mind that the drive is long enough without any sightseeing detours. Hopefully, it is noted that there is very little scope for sightseeing anytime during the trip, else you cannot make it within the time table.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:47   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Saar, this is a GQ Drive, not an all-India holiday. Bear in mind that the drive is long enough without any sightseeing detours. Hopefully, it is noted that there is very little scope for sightseeing anytime during the trip, else you cannot make it within the time table.
Exactly my point.
India ia vast & diverse country, and I'm sure there is something unique to see every 100km-200km.
Let us keep this as a GQ drive.
Old 13th January 2009, 19:46   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saar, Even in this 6 days hurry burry trip we did Sangam, Chilka lake. Isn't it? So, there is nothing wrong to see the things coming on the way if feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Exactly my point.
India ia vast & diverse country, and I'm sure there is something unique to see every 100km-200km.
Let us keep this as a GQ drive.
I agree that its unique every 100-200km, that is what you will see on the GQ. At the same time peeping into the city whenever possible is no harm.

But anyway, its for those who are planing for the GQ
Old 13th January 2009, 21:20   #267
evo
BHPian

As I said, I`m in for the cal chennai in my octy, I`ll brave the roads since I want to drive on the track in chennai.
Old 13th January 2009, 21:32   #268
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Saar, Even in this 6 days hurry burry trip we did Sangam, Chilka lake. Isn't it? So, there is nothing wrong to see the things coming on the way if feasible.

I agree that its unique every 100-200km, that is what you will see on the GQ. At the same time peeping into the city whenever possible is no harm.
While short detours help relax the participants, one too many of these will only result in more time / delays. Since the objective is a reasonably fast drive, let's stick to that.
Old 13th January 2009, 22:33   #269
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Since the objective is a reasonably fast drive, let's stick to that.
I nod assent to that! "Reasonably fast" has a nice ring to it!

Also do we have the dates done? I hate to be such a nag, but knowing the dates would really ease things on the work side apart from giving the drive some structure!

Last edited by evo : 13th January 2009 at 22:35.
Old 15th January 2009, 13:12   #270
BHPian

I think the dates are tentatively fixed. Feb 7-14.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks