Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 10:45   #166
BHPian

Hi!

I am sure that it is 12.5 Kmpl and not 2.5 kmpl. It is simply not possible to attain that figure from a vtec engine with stock internals till the time there is a hole in the fuel tank or a leak from somewhere, which I think is not the case here.

The least mileage that I have seen a vtec return is a mileage of 8.5kmpl when it was ripped thoroughly at the track day in MMSC for a all the sessions!

@Karthik: buddy get ur suspension work done,taking corners at 50kmph! You aint enjoying it at all! Get some stiffening work done and then see the fun!

200kmph should have been easy for you cuz the headers (4x1) you got are designed for mid to top! As in you would not have felt any stress or did you!

Noisy!!!! Bro! that sound gets the pulse going high!! it aint noise! it's music! hehe!

One more question? How fast were the elantra's going anyway! ( keep in mind the speedo error )

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
well it was an awesome drive . really hats off to rahul for organising such a huge meet up . all went on smoothly . well i was the one in the noisy vtec and was really happy the way the car was moving . as i was on stock suspension which is really sick i could not take curves at speeds upward of 50 but straights i managed some 200's quite easily . all this and i got an average of 2.5 kmpl . any ways i knew the elantras were fast but i doubt if they are "quick" . any ways thanks guys lets make this a event which comes every 6 months soo that we can meet up and have a good time

karthik

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 11th December 2008 at 10:47.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:21   #167
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
One more question? How fast were the elantra's going anyway! ( keep in mind the speedo error )
Lets just say that on a recent trip to Bombay the speedo showed a max speed of 205kmph and the GPS device we had showed 202kmph (mind you the engine has clocked 94k kms now). So I doubt the error is as big on the Vtec. Recently a friends Vtec (stock) showed a top whack of 190kmph but 176kmph with the GPS device.

Karthik is right. The elantra's aren't "quick" from 0-100, nor do they revv to 7,000 rpm, but they were fast enough to make sure that the Vtec was never in the rear view mirror .
Old 11th December 2008, 11:25   #168
BHPian

oops sorry typo . i got s\an avg of 12.5 and had to slow down to 150 at corners but was frequently touchinmg 180's

any ways vtec is vten and elantra is elantra . they are different cars made for different purposes .

peace
karthik

btw i over took a red elantra . tht of satyas i guess well past 160 , soo much smoke coming from his exhaust
Old 11th December 2008, 12:03   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
they were fast enough to make sure that the Vtec was never in the rear view mirror .
WOLF!! Where art thou? Sorry could resist making that comment . Nice you guys had a speedy meet. That elantra is one hooter for sure. My friend had a tough time keeping with it during our drive to Mulbagal CCD.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:16   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
btw i over took a red elantra . tht of satyas i guess well past 160 , soo much smoke coming from his exhaust
Ah well, Satya had 4 people in his car with busted suspension, doubt he would want to drive like the rest of us. Yes, that car is running super rich and hence not as quick. It just has got back from a clutch replacement two days before the drive and Satya was specifically asked to ease it out so that he doesn't suffer pre-mature wear on the clutch or until he replaces the struts on his car. Unfortunately, my dear friend Rdk is yet to check it out the fuelling part of it for me. With a different driver at the wheel, a 530D couldn't leave us behind till 200kmph a couple of weeks back. After that we were a spec in its rearview. Do some searching on the forum, you will find more than one instance of such trists.

@ Redrage: Wolf was supposed to come. Don't know why he didn't make it. His car is nowhere in comparison to these stock-mildly modded Vtecs. His car is in a different league all together. And I assume it won't be fair to compare a thoroughbred drag racer with a diesel highway cruiser anyway.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 11th December 2008 at 12:19.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:22   #171
BHPian

Quote:

@ Redrage: Wolf was supposed to come. Don't know why he didn't make it. His car is nowhere in comparison to these stock-mildly modded Vtecs. His car is in a different league all together. And I assume it won't be fair to compare a thoroughbred drag racer with a diesel highway cruiser anyway.
I ain't comparing outright Rahul, just wanted to have his opinion on what best sane speed he could cruise with all his mods, more like ability of the elantra which could maintain torque at higher speeds and side by side with a vtec which would reach a certain speed with a burst and then what?. In normal terms on how powerful cars with different characteristics would feel while driving together.

Last edited by redrage : 11th December 2008 at 12:28.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:31   #172
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
I ain't comparing outright Rahul, just wanted to have his opinion on what best sane speed he could cruise with all his mods, more like ability of the elantra which could maintain torque at higher speeds and side by side with a vtec which would reach a reach with a burst and then what?. In normal terms on how powerful cars with different characteristics would perform.
Well as per my thinking it would go like this. If both cars took off at the same time, the Vtec would speed away into the horizon till it hit 120kmph. From then on the elantra would start catching up because 0-100 or 1/4 mile is not the elantra's forte. By the time you hit 170+ the elantra would have closed the gap. The Vtec would still be ahead past 200kmph (I am sure Ritesh's car should manage that easily). But I doubt a NA high compression car (like wolf's Vtec or my baleno) will be able to hold up those speeds for a long time while the elantra can cruise at those speeds for hours, maybe even days without blowing up. But, like you said it should be an interesting contest. I was hoping to see it (that would have given Satya a reason to upgrade his turbo ), but wolf couldn't make it.

AFAIK, Tadu's elantra could easily keep up with the SX4, RS going at full pelt with good drivers in them. That IMO is "quick". Maybe others have different definitions of quick.

PS: Ritesh, if you are reading this you should come up with a thread on your Vtec. It would help a lot of budding Vtec owners to modify their rides. You should take a hint from threads started by Jitu or Jiggy and put up all the details of what should/should not be done on a Vtec for everyones benefit. And you could use an iPhone with the dynolicious software to show the comparo between the stock ECU and RD ECU with the timings et all.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 11th December 2008 at 12:35.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:41   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Well as per my thinking it would go like this. If both cars took off at the same time, the Vtec would speed away into the horizon till it hit 120kmph. From then on the elantra would start catching up because 0-100 or 1/4 mile is not the elantra's forte. By the time you hit 170+ the elantra would have closed the gap. The Vtec would still be ahead past 200kmph (I am sure Ritesh's car should manage that easily). But I doubt a NA high compression car (like wolf's Vtec or my baleno) will be able to hold up those speeds for a long time while the elantra can cruise at those speeds for hours, maybe even days without blowing up. But, like you said it should be an interesting contest. I was hoping to see it (that would have given Satya a reason to upgrade his turbo ), but wolf couldn't make it.

AFAIK, Tadu's elantra could easily keep up with the SX4, RS going at full pelt with good drivers in them. That IMO is "quick". Maybe others have different definitions of quick.

l.
That would be really intresting, How did the SX4 stand up in terms of top speed ,cruising and otherwise? Could have some narration from memo_45?
Old 11th December 2008, 12:47   #174
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
That would be really intresting, How did the SX4 stand up in terms of top speed ,cruising and otherwise? Could have some narration from memo_45?
Well, sitting shotgun in Tadu's car here is my take on the SX4. That car is incredibly quick off the blocks. But if you notice the video you can see it slowly pulling away from us at full pelt in a straight line. Probably the SX4 is the only car in the whole drive that could "pull away" from the Elantra. With other cars we were able to keep the distance constant. The SX4 is also limited by its high GC, crappy stock tires which makes driving it at such speeds and taking corners quite difficult. I am sure that car would have been a lot faster with a drop of 30mm GC and better rubber. I hear memo is working on this as we speak. And I assume they backed off after a while for the above mentioned reasons and aslo because such cars (modded I mean) might not hold up well at those speeds for a long duration. Thats where the Elantra, RS, Magnum score.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:53   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And I assume they backed off after a while for the above mentioned reasons and aslo because such cars (modded I mean) might not hold up well at those speeds for a long duration. Thats where the Elantra, RS, Magnum score
............and where the Vtec fails -on track, it was fast and fun although hairy around the corners but on a long run - too noisy and frantic
Old 11th December 2008, 12:59   #176
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
............and where the Vtec fails -on track, it was fast and fun although hairy around the corners but on a long run - too noisy and frantic
Ajit, on the track the Vtec needs better suspension, otherwise its the perfect car. You would have enjoyed driving the Vtec more at the Kari than at MMST. On the long run, I completely agree with you. That infact is the problem with most modded cars. You can't keep them going at pedal to metal for a long time unlike the RS (or other factory built highway cruisers with a good top end).
Old 11th December 2008, 13:36   #177
BHPian

My friend,

not all cars are similar and neither do they have similar speedo errors. IMO they vary from car to car.

If the Elantra that you are talking abt for your bbay trip at 205 it showed 202 then its awesome! Good for you!

For that vtec (your friends! )! if at 190 it showed 176! too bad for him, cuz when I tested my vtec speedo with a GPS on my way to Bbay, at 185kmph on my speedo it showed 183.6 or a 183.8kmph (not sure wether it was .6 or .8). So I really doubt that at 190kmph on my car my speedo would have had that big a difference.

In general (atleast for the OHC's and other honda's that I have sat in!), I have noticed honda speedo's to be relatively very accurate when compared to some other manufacturer's (for the cars that I have sat in.. like my own zen, a friends accent, etc!!) hence I generally "joked" with Karthik abt it. Sorry if it offended you in anyway!

If you were to ask me personally and abt my Vtec, I would say that I doubt if a Elantra in anyway can leave my car behind in such a way that my car remains a mere spec on its rear view mirror!

Like someone said, the elantra and the ohc are two cars designed differently and run differently.. one being a TC'd car and the other being a NA. We should not be comparing them.

Peace
Shrey

Quote:
Lets just say that on a recent trip to Bombay the speedo showed a max speed of 205kmph and the GPS device we had showed 202kmph (mind you the engine has clocked 94k kms now). So I doubt the error is as big on the Vtec. Recently a friends Vtec (stock) showed a top whack of 190kmph but 176kmph with the GPS device.

Karthik is right. The elantra's aren't "quick" from 0-100, nor do they revv to 7,000 rpm, but they were fast enough to make sure that the Vtec was never in the rear view mirror .
Old 11th December 2008, 14:20   #178
Senior - BHPian

Just went through this thread. Terrific gathering. Bangalore T-BHP rocks. And kudos to Rahul for managing this huge crowd.

I am disappointed that only a handful of y'all are posting when close to a hundred have met up & driven all the way. I think you guys have given them a scare, talking about mods & speeds & taunts etc. Should we start a new thread for this ?

And where are the photos ? There must have been at least 20-25 cameras in that group.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:26   #179
BHPian

Waiting for Rudra sir's snaps..
Old 11th December 2008, 14:27   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Probably the SX4 is the only car in the whole drive that could "pull away" from the Elantra. With other cars we were able to keep the distance constant.
My wife was driving our Corolla and that's why she could not "pull away" from the Elantras.

But I think she did a pretty decent job of keeping up with the convoy. Hats off to her
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks