Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2021, 21:55   #11341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anees_Offl View Post
Sir, pls guide.

My friend has a open car carking in his compound. He has a Honda Civic. Pls suggest a good water proof/resistant car cover. He's in Chennai.

Which brand to buy? If online, which website would be good enough.

Regards,
Anees
Would strongly recommend against one unless you’re leaving the car alone for at least a few weeks/months. As regular use will result in light to moderate scratching on the paint, Honda’s are anyway some of the softest paints out there. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Hello,
I have a 7 year old Rapid in Cappacino Beige color (the greyish shade). It has slight swirls marks which I would classify as light to medium.
In a dilemma over choosing Meguiar's Ultimate Polish or Ultimate Compound. I will be applying it by hand only, no plans of purchasing a machine. Since application is by hand, is it preferable to go for the Compound rather than the Polish?
Above procedure will be followed by a coat of Meguiar's NXT Tech 2 wax.
Both, using the polish alone won’t remove the swirls as it’s very light cut. Using the compound alone will result in holograms and haze, which must be cleared up with the polish. Follow with 20% IPA before applying your paint protection.

Highly recommend you invest in a rotary or dual action polisher, check YouTube for the basics it’s quite straightforward and there’s a night and day difference in the results you’ll get with a machine. Cheers.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2021 at 05:39. Reason: Back to back posts merged
AJ56 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 17:05   #11342
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Would strongly recommend against one unless you’re leaving the car alone for at least a few weeks/months. As regular use will result in light to moderate scratching on the paint, Honda’s are anyway some of the softest paints out there. Cheers.
ohh...thank you for the information. Didnt realise this aspect exist at all.
Anees_Offl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 20:25   #11343
BHPian

I got Turtle wax Leather cleaner and conditioner. I just noticed that it contains Lard oil (pig fat). In case, if you are a Muslim or averse towards swine then you may want to choose a different product.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210906_201251.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-turtle-wax-leather.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 23:03   #11344
BHPian

Hi,

Any leads on where can I get IPA in Bangalore, preferably south of Bangalore? Need 1L+. Planning for a good wipe down of the cars & bikes before a round of waxing. TIA.

Last edited by vinjosep : 6th September 2021 at 23:08.
Old 7th September 2021, 01:32   #11345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Hi,

Any leads on where can I get IPA in Bangalore, preferably south of Bangalore? Need 1L+. Planning for a good wipe down of the cars & bikes before a round of waxing. TIA.
Try this: Link
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 11:21   #11346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I got Turtle wax Leather cleaner and conditioner. I just noticed that it contains Lard oil (pig fat).
But how is the performance? I had got a Meguiar's leather cleaner and polish but find it below expectations. Maybe it hasn't got the piggy inside
Old 7th September 2021, 11:26   #11347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
But how is the performance? I had got a Meguiar's leather cleaner and polish but find it below expectations. Maybe it hasn't got the piggy inside
I got it recently and only today morning I have applied it. So I don’t have much experience with the product yet.
Old 7th September 2021, 12:01   #11348
BHPian

You could try Sonax leather care. It's more of a garnish which will rejuvinate and protect the leather and bring the original shine out. I also noticed that you dont slip around on the seat once this is applied. This does not contain any animal fat or any such thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I got Turtle wax Leather cleaner and conditioner. I just noticed that it contains Lard oil (pig fat). In case, if you are a Muslim or averse towards swine then you may want to choose a different product.

Attachment 2203218

Attachment 2203219

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image0-1.jpeg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image1-1.jpeg  

ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 23:33   #11349

Hi everyone,

So this happened on a highway - two youngsters on a bike rear ended on to my rapid and it left a black layer on the rear like this.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_6090.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_6089.jpg

I was able to peel away some of that after using coconut oil and then soap water post which I could get the car's blue paint to be visible again underneath (notice the middle blue in between the black horizontal smears in above pic).
But as you can see, in the top and bottom the black layer is still present and I'm not sure if it has damaged the paint. I have two questions -

a) What is this black layer visible on the rear of my car (is it that the paint has damaged and this is PPF underneath, if so how come it peeled off to show the blue paint underneath in the middle)?

b) How do I restore the car to how it looked like?

For reference I'm attaching a picture of the black layer too here -

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5986.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5988.jpg

Mods - Not sure if I should be posting on this thread or on the "Need advice after accident" thread (though this wasn't bad enough to be called an accident I suppose), please do move my post if it's not relevant here.
Old 9th September 2021, 03:12   #11350
BHPian

Clean the area with some IPA and apply some rubbing compound, if you see blue paint post application, it was black rubber residue bonded to your clearcoat, from your pictures it seems the paint has been scuffed deeply and the bumper plastic underneath is visible (which is also black in colour), in which case a spot repaint will be required to correct.
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 23:15   #11351
BHPian

Christmas came early for me. Look at all the cleaning/detailing products I bought in the past few weeks.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210914_123920.jpg

Colinite 845 and applicator pad from greenz car care
Other products from amazon:
Proklear raw extreme cx - 2 good quality microfiber cloths and a sprayer came with this.
Kissan kraft manual sprayer - This is very useful. I use this to apply shampoo on the car.
Meguirs ultimate polish
Jopasu car duster
Softspun 900 gsm microfiber cloth
Amazon basics microfiber cloths(pack of 6) - Average quality.
MGA microfiber cloths - Rs. 89 a piece.
3M car shampoo
sole_rider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 15:22   #11352
BHPian

Sunday well spent!

Yesterday, car was washed at Autopia, Hyderabad. One of the best places for any detailing needs. Their attention to detail is mind blowing.

Today, spent couple of hours with Collinite 845 for the panels, Turtlewax ClearVue for the glass, and Aerosol 303 for the plastics.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-screenshot_20210919150744_brave.jpg  

Old 19th September 2021, 17:00   #11353
BHPian

Hello all,

The Tucson has loads of fibre / plastic parts above the tyres and it is becoming dull...

Saw few recommendations... Is turtle wax trim restorer the best or any other recommendations?

Pls suggest.
Old 19th September 2021, 20:08   #11354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Hello,
I have a 7 year old Rapid in Cappacino Beige color (the greyish shade). It has slight swirls marks which I would classify as light to medium.
In a dilemma over choosing Meguiar's Ultimate Polish or Ultimate Compound. I will be applying it by hand only, no plans of purchasing a machine. Since application is by hand, is it preferable to go for the Compound rather than the Polish?
Above procedure will be followed by a coat of Meguiar's NXT Tech 2 wax.
Update:
Bought Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax.
I was free today, so spent my Sunday giving some TLC to my ride.
Since I do not have machine for polishing, so planned to take up only the front (bonnet) and rear portions of the car.
I followed a 4 step process as below:
1. Wash with pH controlled shampoo
2. Claying using lubricant (nothing but solution of Proklear Extreme Waterless wash), final wash and drying with Meguiar's ultimate towel
3. Polishing using Ultimate Polish by Hand. This step was exhausting and was a real workout for me
4. Application of NXT Tech wax
Initially, I was not confident of the results since I was applying polish by hand. But the results surprised me. There was considerable improvement in the appearance after applying the polish.
A few pics:
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210919_101551.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210919_103200.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210919_102138.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210919_173532.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210919_173543.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210919_172100.jpg  

anuragn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 21:42   #11355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
You could try Sonax leather care.
I have been using "Formula 1" Mr.Leather Spray Cleaner and Conditioner for a long time.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-51nrhuwldml._sl1000_.jpg
I am overall satisfied and the formula seems to be working well for my leather seats.

One bottle of 470ml costs around Rs 470, which typically lasts for 16 to 18 months if you use it once a month or so.
basuk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks