Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2022, 07:45   #856

Re: VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3MON130 View Post
Hey Nusta! Any luck on this? I'm looking to get the following mods on my 2011 Vento TDi Comfortline:
No luck yet. I was able to enable few tweaks from SA such as needle sweep, anti theft. Have ordered VCDS cable.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th June 2022 at 08:08. Reason: Quote content trimmed
Old 15th June 2022, 14:05   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusta_throttle View Post
No luck yet. I was able to enable few tweaks from SA such as needle sweep, anti theft. Have ordered VCDS cable.
Im based in bangalore, where did you order vcds from?
Old 24th June 2022, 21:40   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusta_throttle View Post
One of my friend is interested in VCDS. Do revert on where and how you have ordered. Cost info would also be very helpful.
livelyyoungman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 14:13   #859
BHPian

Can the vcds diagnosis a failing turbo?
Old 22nd July 2022, 12:25   #860
BHPian

Guys I want to purchase the genuine Ross Tech VCDS HEx V2. The listed distributor in Delhi is non responsive and after contacting Ross Tech directly in USA they said even they are fed up with the Indian distributor due to no response. Can anyone tell me the next best place to purchase? Ross tech only uses FedEx Priority which is too expensive. $125. so its a huge jump in cost over the $199 price tag of the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Can the vcds diagnosis a failing turbo?
So basically it wont diagnose and directly tell you that the turbo is failing. But the vehicle has various sensors, the input of which it reads and shows you diagnostic trouble codes. It is by using a summarized knowledge of these codes that you'll have to judge what component is failing. Then again it also depends on the complexity of the issue. for eg. suppose there are mass airflow sensors, egr duty sensor, turbo boost pressure sensor etc. so on diagnosis the ECU might give out multiple error codes, like turbo boost pressure is low. so from that you know that the turbo boost pressure is low, why it is low is something the initial judgement will depend more on experience. Is the boost pressure low because the turbo is unable to spin up to speed or whether theres a leak in the manifold etc. it can also be cause due to blockage in airflow due to an extremely dirty air filter. But that is something that probably might not show up as an error code.

You'll have to use your experience to realize whether at a given RPM and engine load the Airflow that the ECU is showing is proper or lower than normal. This is just one scenario. Its basically similar to how a doctor diagnoses the human body. the symptom is stomach ache which is similar to an error code that the ecu will throw upon DTC scanning. Along with the stomach ache what other symptoms the patient is suffering from, from that the doctor infers what the problem might be. whether its food poisoning or indigestion or something much more critical depends on doctors knowledge and experience. Similarly the error codes basically guide you where to look for the problems. What is causing the problem may not necessarily be a 2+2=4 equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelyyoungman View Post
One of my friend is interested in VCDS. Do revert on where and how you have ordered. Cost info would also be very helpful.
May I ask where you ordered from? Did you buy by paying the enormous shipping cost?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd July 2022 at 12:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) to quote and reply to multiple posts together. Thanks!
Old 24th July 2022, 17:41   #861
BHPian

So I talked to Ross Tech Philadelphia. They arent ready to change their shipping method and recommended I buy from a UK seller or distributor so the shipping is less. And sure enough the shipping cost from Germany is just $49 for the economy and 53 for the priority as opposed to the single priority shipping option from USA costing $125. The RossTech people are extremely particular about using only FedEx. So much that upon my request to maybe consider UPS he referred to it as United Parcel Smashers.

PS: if anyone on the forum is willing to share their VCDS for a few days (for a reasonable cost obviously), I'd greatly appreciate it. I already have a generic OBD2 adapter which does the basic DTC Scanning and Code clearing work so I doubt I'd really require repeated use of VCDS once I am done with all the tweaks and adaptations I have in mind.
Old 26th July 2022, 18:56   #862
BHPian

Hi guys, a question to those who've already tried out VCDS. Is there anyone who's probably tried tinkering around with steering assist power, EGR adaptations, Brake Boost adaptions? I want to confirm if these are tweakable in the post 2014 Polos and Ventos. I just realized there might be many tweaks not available in my car, 2018 Vento Diesel and wouldnt wanna spend a bomb on the VCDS cable just to end up playing around with comfort and convenience tweaks. I dont give the slightest damn about turning on the needle gauge sweep (although already done) or petty features like all the gates unlocking at once or just the drivers first and the rest of them on second time press or whether the horn works after the ignition is turned off etc. I guess you get the drift.

PS: I am aware ECU Remapping is not possible with the VCDS, am not even expecting or asking that. Just that on Youtube Videos, there are many engine and drivetrain related adaptations which may or may not be tweakable on the Indian cars especially the Post 2013 vehicles as after that they were heavily localized and most of the parts from Germany in the first gen cars were changed.

The features I am mainly looking to be able to tweak are Power steering assist level, Brake Boost level, EGR percentages. These are something I havent been able to find online even in Indian Youtube Videos which are just mainly comprised of Injector Minimum Deviation qty calibrations.
Old 26th July 2022, 19:05   #863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer911 View Post
my car, 2018 Vento Diesel
What variant is this? DSG or manual?

Asking because the DSGs are equipped with a superior ABS unit with ESP that permits several tweaks unlike the manual variants which come equipped with a basic ABS module.
Old 26th July 2022, 20:56   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
What variant is this? DSG or manual?

Asking because the DSGs are equipped with a superior ABS unit with ESP that permits several tweaks unlike the manual variants which come equipped with a basic ABS module.
Its a manual. But I am not even really looking to tweak around ABS or ESP settings. ESP is anyway not available on the manual variants, let aside tweaking it. My primary focus is the steering assist power function (I've read many places that changing to to Dynamic or Heavy improves the precision and feels better at high speeds which is my primary driving everyday. 90 kms of 100 to 120kmph everyday. Plus I am hoping to regain a little bit of the steering precision that I used to feel in my 1st Gen 2011 Polo 1.2 TDI which is completely lost in this 2018 car.

Secondly, be able to do the Injector Qty calibrations which I know are available because several Indian Youtube videos have shown doing it to decrease any kind of knocking or low mileage issues or simply required if an injector is replaced.

Thirdly, playing around with the EGR settings. Although, on my long drive observations with my OBD2 connected and continuously flashing data on my mobile phone, the EGR anyway remains at 0% while acceleration and when the throttle pedal is completely depressed. It only comes on to about 35 to 40 percent opening once the car reaches the cruising speed relative to the throttle pedal position.

Fourthly, the Throttle input response mechanism. Incremental over time or Direct over threshold (Also referred to as Audi Style Throttle Input by some guys outside India doing these Youtube Videos).

Fifth, tweaking the climate settings if not already at the hottest setting. It apparently affects the aggressiveness with which the A/C tries to achieve the set temps. Mostly just affects the fan speed. If there indeed is another step available towards hot climate setting, it should provide some relief especially considering the weaker aircons on VW cars or many European cars in general.

Sixth, TSC (Torque steering compensation) is apparently available on the MK6 European Polos even with manual transmission. Not too sure because of my variant as well as now being the localized Indian version.

If by some luck someone has VCDS and post 2014 Polo or Vento Manual too and could confirm this, it would be a world of relief before I finalize spending about 20K.

Last edited by Racer911 : 26th July 2022 at 21:14.
Old 28th July 2022, 12:25   #865
BHPian

Please could anyone confirm if the Power steering assist level and throttle input response tweak is available on the manual highline variant of any Post 2014 Polo or vento TDI?
Old 29th July 2022, 18:14   #866
BHPian

Can any forum member help me out with a VCDS cable or guide me to a source where I can buy one? Need to clear a fault code
Old 30th July 2022, 20:43   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3MON130 View Post

@Sen I would be immensely grateful if you would be able to lend me a hand with this if you're still in Bangalore
Hey, if you're still looking for some help, I can assist. I stay in Basaveshwaranagar. Let me know.
Old 31st July 2022, 12:02   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavyagnik View Post
Can any forum member help me out with a VCDS cable or guide me to a source where I can buy one? Need to clear a fault code
If its just a fault code you wanna clear why even spend on a VCDS cable? You can get much cheaper OBD2 scanners which can scan and clear fault codes. The CarScanner app on the play store will allow you to do that much for free.

Or even better you can go to almost any local garage who've got scan tools and get it cleared. I dont think any reasonable person should charge more than 50 bucks or so just to scan and clear a fault code. And if you get a very small service like getting the brake pads changed they normally dont charge anything separately if you request a quick scan and clear.

Last edited by Racer911 : 31st July 2022 at 12:04.
Racer911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 16:21   #869
BHPian

So I've finally placed the order for my Ross-Tech Hex V2 3 Vin Tool. Lost patience. I know its going to be useful to me for atleast the next 10 years as my current car is a VW and my next car is also going to be from the VAG stable without a doubt.

Fingers Crossed, I hope am able to tweak all the things I had in mind.
Old 19th August 2022, 16:13   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Got my VCDS cable from aliexpress and happy to say it worked well in the first shot. Was able to delete the 80kmph speed warnings. Also tried to modify the amplifier settings to enable Dynaudio mode. Not sure of the exact difference it does, but there is some improvement in the sound clarity(maybe just a placebo effect).

Next step is to modify some other controllers. Surprisingly the BCM doesnt allow coding. It shows that coding is not possible for this ECU. Anyone has a workaround for this one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks