Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2020, 15:27   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox

While driving back to Bangalore, all of a sudden it started "Flashing in D" mode and was not able to upshift/down shift to any gear. Also not able to accelerate more than 2K rpm and got into limp mode. Turn-off & On, everything seems normal. Continued the journey and reached without any hiccups.

Have anyone observed this in DQ250 : 2016 DSG Jetta driven for 53k kms.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 7th October 2020 at 15:30.
Old 7th October 2020, 16:33   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
While driving back to Bangalore, all of a sudden it started "Flashing in D" mode and was not able to upshift/down shift to any gear. Also not able to accelerate more than 2K rpm and got into limp mode. Turn-off & On, everything seems normal. Continued the journey and reached without any hiccups.
I am not that familiar with your particular car. It looks like the engine has gone in restricted mode. That could be due to a multitude of reasons. Not necessarily the DGS only. However on many DGS type of cars the flashing D might mean there is something wrong with it. A sensor, low fluid, or something more serious/sinister. And it is serious enough to put your engine into restricted mode, to prevent further damage. Did you check the owner manual what to do?

If it is not the transmission, restricted mode could be due to any number of reasons.
Irrespective, you need it seen to by a competent mechanic and have the codes read. The code will tell you the exact problem. Even though it appears gone now, I would advise to get the codes read, because once it happened once, you are likely to see it coming up again. And usually these problems become worse over time.

Good luck

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 7th October 2020 at 16:56.
Old 7th October 2020, 20:21   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Irrespective, you need it seen to by a competent mechanic and have the codes read. The code will tell you the exact problem. Even though it appears gone now, I would advise to get the codes read, because once it happened once, you are likely to see it coming up again. And usually these problems become worse over time.
Thankyou Jeroen. Sadly, I don't have any VCDS cable to check these errors. Have ordered one from Aliexpress. In the mean while I've a very competent FNG who deals with these kinds of things. Will get checked there. Hoping this should not be related to any Mechatronics issues.
Ramsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 13:02   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
So how does humidity enter the picture?

Regards
Sutripta
Good question but higher temperatures will come into picture anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Hats off to you JoshMachine. One of the most beautiful threads i've read on Team-Bhp. Your knowledge is at a different level.
I was waiting if anyone asked this already, going through the entire thread does give you a lot of insight

(we will not be surprised though if that kind of tech/AI were to actually flow down into a production, mass-scale gearbox).

What an Idea sirji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

I think the key to keep the DSG from breaking down is to prevent it from getting overheated. Shifting to neutral at signals and shifting to manual mode (1st gear) in crawling traffic : are two practices that have become second nature.
That's a good tip,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

To truly disengage the clutch one should be in N position with foot off the brake pedal and or the handbrake engaged.

Or simply out it to P , I don't think that's any greater an effort

i am happy my car is 2016 that has supposedly things sorted out including the gear oil

Touch wood factor remains nevertheless

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th October 2020 at 13:34.
Old 10th October 2020, 13:45   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

That's one of the reason why, when I'm parking, I go to Neutral first, pull the handbrake lever, and put it into P in the end.

Whoaaa , you really are setting high standards in terms of taking care of the gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post

I still have the same habit, even in my DSG, whenever I see a traffic red light ahead of me, I shift from 'D' to 'N' while the vehicle is moving (at times even when the speed is around 20-30 kmph).

Even I did this with superb for couple of months (like I did with manual corolla : I still do )

Reading all the horror stories about DSG I got shot scared and resorted to sensible behaviour

Let the smart DSG downshift on its own

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjiGTI View Post
I think you can achieve the same result by engaging the eco mode of the DSG gearbox. As soon as you lift your leg from the accelerator the car will be "coasting".
Yea Eco mode coasting is a luxury but it's not like it goes into neutral , but the fuel efficiency goes up like 67km/l
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinriez View Post

I still have no clue why the manufacturers give the user an option for 'Coasting'. I remember, I unchecked the 'Coasting' option from the MFD just three days into my ownership
So do you mean coasting is bad for the gearbox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugansh View Post

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Sorry for multiple posts, I'd like to multi quote and edit

I read the rules too, just that I still can't find edit button

Last edited by Aditya : 10th October 2020 at 20:08. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 10th October 2020, 16:44   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugansh View Post
Sorry for multiple posts, I'd like to multi quote and edit
Wait for the post to be approved by moderator, then you will see the edit option, once your new member status is over you will be able to see it as soon as you post.
Old 10th October 2020, 20:55   #172

By the in all this quote, multi quote and edit scenario

I actually forgot to compliment the kind of effort @josh machine put in to give shape to this wonderful thread , such insight and in depth script is beyond words of appreciation

Thank you
Yugansh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 16:02   #173
BHPian

Is it true ??
https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtop...t=Creep#p24763

Regarding moving into N, no not required. The car detects the brakes applied and reduces the clutch engagement so preventing the wear. This from VW some years ago when I was new to DSG

"Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Volkswagen Tiguan’s DSG transmission.

I have forwarded your enquiry to our Technical Support Team, who has offered the following advice regarding the creep control of your vehicle’s DSG transmission; please note the information offered is not for use on any non-approved forums:

Creep control "Creep" refers to the creep behaviour which a conventional automatic gearbox with a torque converter exhibits when the engine is idling and a gear is selected. The creep control function works like this: when the engine is idling and a gear is selected, a defined slip torque is set at the clutch (clutch torque) causing the vehicle to "creep". This allows the vehicle to be manoeuvred (e.g. when parking) without using the accelerator pedal, thus enhancing driving comfort. The vehicle behaves as one would expect an automatic gearbox to. The clutch torque is adjusted to between 1 and 40 Nm, depending on the driving condition and vehicle road speed.*A special feature of the creep control is that of reduced clutch torque at vehicle standstill with the brake applied, whereby less torque is required of the engine (the clutch is further open). Clutch torque is reduced to approx. 1 Nm, depending on the brake pressure. The tendency of the vehicle to creep is reduced accordingly.

I hope this information proves to be of use.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK
Old 21st January 2021, 13:18   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Have ordered one from Aliexpress. In the mean while I've a very competent FNG who deals with these kinds of things. Will get checked there. Hoping this should not be related to any Mechatronics issues.
Just checking if you have managed to do the self-diagnosis or got some views from the FNG guy?
The DQ250 (wet clutch) going into limp-mode is quite unusual, based on what I have heard or read. And that too, at a not-that-high odo reading of 56k km.

Prima facie, these symptoms appear to resonate that of the DQ200 mechatronics failure.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 23:15   #175

Hi, I am new to the team-bhp forum. I have seem some discussion happening on DSG hence sharing my experience in short. Please help if this is not the right thread to share.

I own a Apr 2016 Make Vento TSI. Post the pandemic situation was getting under control thought of executing a long road trip from Pune to Delhi for a stay at home of 3-4 months.

Just as we reached Vadodra, as soon as I took the exit lane from Highway the car went over a speed bump normally and car stopped moving into D2. it will keep revving in D1 and above 4000 RPM will directly shift to D3. Did an ignition cycle and the Gear indicators started blinking along with a wrench icon. Luckily we had a stay over hotel booked in Vadodra at Sayaji so limped over to that place and took RSA towing option the next day.

Long story short, The mechatronic unit has been replaced at my expense and the car has been moved to Delhi (500km was covered by RSA and rest 400km up/down tow charged paid by me).

I want to share more about my experience in a log format so long time forum members can guide me where to share this information.

However I am posting this here actually for 1 question that's been bugging my mind - Can car tyre upsize with approx. increased circumference of 3% mess up with the gear ratio calculation to this extent that can cause mechatronic failure?
And if it actually happens, should I go ahead and change the tyres back to stock size? I am basically frightened that this kind of failure if happens again will cost a bomb as it has now.

I took a gamble early Jan to change my stock tyres (GY 185/60/R15) to Yoko Earth 1 185/65/R15 on guidance of my trusted tyre vendor. He insisted I upgrade to increase some ground clearance and more plush ride (with the downside of more body roll at high speed maneuvers).

Last edited by somen87 : 6th February 2021 at 23:27. Reason: correction to grammer
Old 7th February 2021, 00:03   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by somen87 View Post
Hi, I am new to the team-bhp forum. I have seem some discussion happening on DSG hence sharing my experience in short. Please help if this is not the right thread to share.

I own a Apr 2016 Make Vento TSI. Post the pandemic situation was getting under control thought of executing a long road trip from Pune to Delhi for a stay at home of 3-4 months.

Just as we reached Vadodra, as soon as I took the exit lane from Highway the car went over a speed bump normally and car stopped moving into D2. it will keep revving in D1 and above 4000 RPM will directly shift to D3. Did an ignition cycle and the Gear indicators started blinking along with a wrench icon. Luckily we had a stay over hotel booked in Vadodra at Sayaji so limped over to that place and took RSA towing option the next day.

Long story short, The mechatronic unit has been replaced at my expense and the car has been moved to Delhi (500km was covered by RSA and rest 400km up/down tow charged paid by me).

I want to share more about my experience in a log format so long time forum members can guide me where to share this information.

However I am posting this here actually for 1 question that's been bugging my mind - Can car tyre upsize with approx. increased circumference of 3% mess up with the gear ratio calculation to this extent that can cause mechatronic failure?
And if it actually happens, should I go ahead and change the tyres back to stock size? I am basically frightened that this kind of failure if happens again will cost a bomb as it has now.

I took a gamble early Jan to change my stock tyres (GY 185/60/R15) to Yoko Earth 1 185/65/R15 on guidance of my trusted tyre vendor. He insisted I upgrade to increase some ground clearance and more plush ride (with the downside of more body roll at high speed maneuvers).
Additional context of asking this question:
Before tyre change - Di to D2 shifts were seamless just above 1800 RPM, however noticed immediately after the tyre change that D1 to D2 shifts used to happen after 2500-3000 RPM during initial run (lets say during first drive of the day), and after some time shifts would normalize in range of 2000-2400 RPM. This is not something I saw before hence not sure if this can be placebo effect or the mechatronics was getting strained. Didn't give it much though honestly thinking such behavior might be situational.
somen87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 22:14   #177

Update:
Replaced 185/60 R15 Yoko Earth 1 with Ceat Secura Drive 185/60/R15. Total cost after exchange: 7k INR.
This is the best I could manage both in terms if tyre brand and exchange value (finding exchange dealers is hard nowadays).

This was for my peace of mind so that the car comes back to stock specs as long drives are coming up and don’t want anymore breakdown/goodwill warranty related hassles.
somen87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 12:57   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somen87 View Post
Long story short, The mechatronic unit has been replaced at my expense
How much was the cost?
How about invoking warranty or good-old escalation to dealer Mgmt?

Quote:
Honestly, haven’t heard about a tyre upgrade (of about 3% in aspect ratio) causing a DSG failure.
Most probably, something must have conked off the moment you went over the speed breaker. Maybe it was awkward angle over the bump causing the unit to not being able to comprehend what’s happening, maybe it was a combination of some last minute braking and/or physical damage to the unit from below or maybe the hall sensors not transmitting the right signal or maybe something else.

Quote:
Unless the service personnel give a clear analysis, one wouldn’t know for sure.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 13:34   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
How much was the cost?
How about invoking warranty or good-old escalation to dealer Mgmt?

Honestly, haven’t heard about a tyre upgrade (of about 3% in aspect ratio) causing a DSG failure.
Most probably, something must have conked off the moment you went over the speed breaker. Maybe it was awkward angle over the bump causing the unit to not being able to comprehend what’s happening, maybe it was a combination of some last minute braking and/or physical damage to the unit from below or maybe the hall sensors not transmitting the right signal or maybe something else.

Unless the service personnel give a clear analysis, one wouldn’t know for sure.
Thanks for the feedback. However have still reverted to stock size now and one more thing was is that car was fully loaded with home stuff as we were temporarily going to stay in hometown till May 2021. Basically now whenever speed bumps come i try to move to manual mode asap. But still i think this particular situation i faced is a bit strange as there was nothing out of the ordinary till travel time and the car was running perfectly fine till now. Maybe its the nature of this mechatronic its bound to fail under certain situations we don’t really know about and neither dealer is sure.
The baroda SA did say you have used aftermarket exide battery that can also create voltage/electrical problems with mechatronic.
Old 14th March 2021, 14:36   #180

Missed responding to the question related to warranty and repair cost.
Essentially Warranty 4th year expired on June 2020, and I didn't buy extended warranty for 5th year as it was still confusing to me as to whether I am eligible to buy once or can keep extending as VW Warranty TnC's keep changing.

Dealer Goodwill was deemed as void on account of 2019 serving happening at 1 yr 3 M period, and same with 2020 servicing. So instead of the annual service schedule of May to May it shifted to Dec 2020. Second counter argument dealer made is I have used Exide battery as replacement not OEM.

I argued on both clauses and escalating it through Grievance channels, but the complaint wounded up two times with the Pune West and Baroda VW dealerships itself. Pune West BU Bhandari SA during 2018 service had said to change the battery due to low Cold cranking amps (lasted merely 2 years, and the reason SA advised to change battery was that I was getting very long cranks after car sat under the sun for long hours; but somehow started just fine when parked in shadow or within covered parking), and said yes sir you can install third party battery it won't void your warranty; hence I did and unfortunately I didn't have anything on email to prove my case. This is my first car bought by myself so the in-experience might show here.

By the way, still to this day I have thing strange cranking issue even with the replaced OEM battery with new mechatronic. Pune Dealership insists there are no error codes hence no issue, but if the cranking starts to misbehave even when not parked under the sun then we will need to recheck.

Regarding the Cost, you can see it attached.

DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox-invoice-part-1.jpg

DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox-invoice-part-2.jpg

PS: I had some more details recorded on my phones notes app, sharing those as well if it helps dear members

22 Jan 9:00 PM:
Before getting the car towed back to Baroda Dealership next day on 23 Jan, I had the car checked via a local mechanic who brought with himself OBD scanner and told me most probably mechatronic sensor or solenoid has failed. Again its not conclusive and on asking more questions to the mechanic it seems like he was also not fully confident repair is possible.

He shared the below error codes (not sure of the exact lettering remember the initials so it could be any 1 of the 3 or all):
P173b, P173D
P1738 also came related to ECU

23 Jan 11:00 AM till 2:00 PM:
After trying to persuade Baroda dealership to follow goodwill warranty path they came up with some counter arguments as to why it cannot be exercised. Details are mentioned above. After a stressful discussion/ordeal for about 3-4 hours, I gave in and just asked the dealership to go ahead with procuring replacement part while also telling them will escalate this via Custom Care grievance support channel.
Then as we were stranded will all out stuff, booked a hotel stay, called RSA. Convinced them to drop us till Rajasthan along with all our stuff.

Also as explained above, escalation was not successful. And hence since I needed to car to reach me I dropped following up. In the meantime also had a chat with VW Pune West BuB dealership and they were not in a position to help much unless I chose to tow the car back to Pune (RSA would not cover the same as nearest garage was in Baroda, and then also there was no guarantee Pune dealership would also allow goodwill warranty claim).

During all this discussion I made a mistake of now cross verifying what the exact error code was coming in the dealership itself.

Baroda VW shared some pics of the new and old mechatronic. Sharing here the same:

New Mechatronic Unit:
DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox-new-mech-1.jpeg

DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox-new-mech-2.jpeg

DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox-new-mech-3.jpeg

Old Mechatronic Unit:
DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox-old-mech-1.jpeg

DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox-old-mech-2.jpeg

DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox-old-mech-3.jpeg
somen87 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks