Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2022, 06:09   #181
BHPian

Re: As of today, what's broken / not working in your car?

1. Ford Fiesta MY2010 1.39 lakh kms. The steering/suspension has been making sounds for a long time. It is on its second sets of link rods and toe ends (replaced at about 1-1.1L kms). Appears to be the steering rack needing replacement, but there is no play or vibration in the steering wheel yet. Since it is a costly part (12-14k) just living with it. Oh by the way, the power steering hose (5k) has started seeping too. Autolocking of the doors has stopped working for a while now. I suspect some fuse got busted along the way. I have not bothered replacing it. Driver side key lock does not unlock, but can be locked. I unlock the car from the passenger side everyday :(. Lock set replacement is a 4-5K job.

2. Honda WRV MY2017 ~50k kms. No visible issues, other than some rust spots on the door edges. And yes the seat slider lifting arm (passenger side) keeps vibrating against its neighbour making noise on viby roads.

3. Toyota Glanza MY2022 ~250 kms. It is hardly two weeks old, so no issues finger crossed.
Dragonheart22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 09:23   #182

Maruti Suzuki Alto lx(2004): [1.28L km]

-Rusting at the front suspension mountings.
-Non existent rear brakes (haven't changed for
years)
-Scratches on both right side doors (Thanks to
my extremely kind neighbours who park their car
in front of our parking not even leaving space
for an alto to pass through.)
-Major dent in right quarter panel.(Been there for almost 1 year, Dad's in no mood to fix it
.Typical "Chalti hai Chalne do" move.
-Some bearing in the engine compartment is slowly giving up. Noise increases day by day.
-Seats are in a pitifull condition.

Thinking of taking care of all these issues after monsoon.

Thankfully the rodent lords have decided to spare us, otherwise there would be a whole lot list of electricals here.

Kia Sonet (2021): [4k kms]
Everything's fine so far.

Last edited by TheLxGuy69 : 19th May 2022 at 09:42.
TheLxGuy69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 10:28   #183
BHPian

Tata Safari 2008: (56000 km now): Rear left window cord snapped about 3 years ago. The motor makes a loud sound showing its displeasure in trying to move the vast glass window. Waiting for the right time to change.

Tata Tiago 2017: 32000 km : Small dent in the front due to a wayward dog developing a sudden interest in crossing over the 200 feet wide national Highway. Needs to be addressed when time permits.
Old 19th May 2022, 10:56   #184
Senior - BHPian

Clock in my Swift 2010 model is not working properly with missing led segments. Too much work in removing the entire dashboard to replace a non essential component is preventing me from addressing this.

Apart from this, the window rubber seals and metal seem to have deteriorated and rusted, spoiling the looks of the car. Have to address these issues soon.
Old 19th May 2022, 11:20   #185

My Brezza's luggage hook behind the driver seat is missing.

There's also a curious case of missing rear viper arm's nut cover. There's no spare for that also. Service center guys laughed when I showed them this, according to them, it probably got stolen as they get daily one car with missing that cover. It seems there aren't easily available spare part for that one and someone probably stole it. I found it on Boodmo (thank you Boodmo!) and ordered it. It's on the way.
WeekSpeller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 13:00   #186
BHPian

Innova : Year of mfg : 2007( FC done)
On the Odo : 1,67,876
What’s not working : none
What has been changed : 4 sets of tyres( michelin except the OE)
Running on 5th battery.
( Had a animal hit back in 2014 and replaced front bumper, headlamp, radiator motor and belt, fan)
Used only for outstation travel and large family get-togethers.

Renault Scala, petrol CVT : Year of mfg :2013
Odo : 47,008
What’s not working : none
Running on 2nd battery and OE tyres.
Replaced radiator cooling fan - that started wobbling
Changed the retrofitted Blaupunkt touchscreen head unit - that failed in 2020
The OE head unit is working like a charm.
Beaters for in city travel in Bangalore and occasional Coorg trips.

Tata Tiago XZA petrol AMT ( my wife’s beater)

Year of mfg : 2017
Odo: 11,300
What’s not working : AC ! Requires cleaning of the intake filter quite frequently. Can be done as DIY job. Once done working properly.
Old 19th May 2022, 14:06   #187

MS S-Cross 1.3 DDiS 2019 69K km on ODO

Typical MS car feature: Rattles of unknown sources, general wear and tear.

My cousin scraped the underbody resulting in a dent on the fuel tank, which needs to be replaced ASAP

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th May 2022 at 15:25. Reason: Please proofread before posting. Edited for bold/ grammar.
Old 19th May 2022, 17:27   #188

2017 Hyundai Elite i20 Asta Petrol @ 41500 km:
  • AC suddenly stops cooling during the rains.
  • One of the horns doesn't work.
  • Ambient sensor displays -45C while starting the car and disappears completely after a few minutes.
  • Rear passenger's left window up/down button doesn't work.
  • Suspension seems hard. Rides soft at times and is very bumpy on similar type of roads.
  • Boot door opens half-way due to worn out gas struts
Old 19th May 2022, 22:11   #189
BHPian

I will start with the 1996 Maruti 800 first . The car is 26 years old and it had a few parts replaced over the years; but I will mention what's need at this moment .

1. There is a hissing sound from the front wheels . I have been told by 2
different mechanic that the front brake pads need to be replaced .
2. The hand brake cable needs to be replaced .
3. The rear tyres need to be replaced .
4. The sun film needs to be replaced .
5. The seats and the interiors need some refurbishing .
6. When the accelerator is floored, there is a bit of bluish smoke from the
exhaust .
7. There are some minor scratches and dents and the car has developed
some rattles over the years .

Points 1 to 6 , I will get them fixed as time permits ; 7 does not bother me much .

The 2004 Honda City .

1. The rear tyres have developed cracks, so they will be replaced with
Continental ComfortContact CC6 ( These are on the front axle and they
seem like good types to me ) .
2. The car needs a new bottle of car perfume . That's it .
Old 22nd May 2022, 19:23   #190
BHPian

Saw this thread now and would like to share a few experiences with my list of strange car ownership.

As all my cars are in the pre worshipped segment, I'm not certain if I should share the repairs that any car at the vintage should have as basic service, but I'll share all the extra stuff.

1. B6 VW Passat 1.8 tsi - 2010 - 6.4k kms at purchase and currently stage 2 with an etuners at 17k kms. This car has a parking break issue due to the electronic switch and after market break pads that affect the sensor in the rear calipers. Throws the error even after clearances. Works all the time but needs some gental tlc.

2. E60 530i - 2008 - 54k kms at purchase. I got this car with a good service history and did not get any issue when I bought it. But now I have an i-drive module issue due to water and rain. Everything else has been serviced and works perfectly. It's unfortunate as I have upgraded audio with Steg drivers and the Bluetooth module and can't use the audio currently.

F25 x3 3.0d - 2014 - I got front suspension replaced and as that has not been coded urrently I do get an error, but other than that no issues till now. My daily driver.

LC 120 Prado 4.0.v6 - 2007- 1.5 lakh kms - car was fully serviced and I have had no issues till my recent trip to sub zero tems and have had to replace the old radiator due to rot over the years in the original.

This is above and beyond service requirements like oil and suspension work for all these cars and I have the best people taking care of my cars at a family garage.

Cheers!
Old 25th May 2022, 16:47   #191
SDx
BHPian

2016 VW Ameo @ 24500 Kms - No chime when turn indicators are put on.

Side cap of armrest was also broken till last month however service center fixed it somehow. I was afraid the whole thing would have to be changed.
Old 3rd June 2022, 19:23   #192

1) 2007 Škoda Octavia Rider@1.87 Lakhs on odo
  • Center console plastic hinge broken - We don’t use center console often so it’s never in the “to be fixed” list
  • R/L central lock doesn’t work - Will get it fixed during yearly service at my FNG
  • AC louvres for vertical adjustment doesn’t work for all but one vent - Original needs to be imported, too expensive, can live as it is
  • Mud flaps - Ordered original part, should receive in a few weeks
As of today, what's broken / not working in your car?-a87794ee9d0b4f95ab65d04d3f06081d.jpeg

2) 2012 Hyundai I 10-1.2 Automic @ 87k on odo
  • Boot hydraulic struts - Will be replaced in next service
  • Couple of dings
Name:  4B49BE1E28CD4F279BDC002F1A55535B.jpeg
Views: 186
Size:  241.6 KB

Our vehicles are so much immaculately maintained that they hardly show any signs of ageing.

-VJ
vijay_jambu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:39   #193
BHPian

Tata Altroz XZ diesel( single tone top end at the time)- October 2020- 35k km done.

The AC button seems to have come off. It works, but sometimes it comes way too out. So, I have been using the auto AC button instead of the actual AC on button. To turn it off, there's another off button. I have been having this issue since the 3,4 months of the car purchase. The SA said this is wear and tear issue and can not be covered in warranty. So, I thought I will live with it.

After the 30k km service, the auto AC turns off every now and then. The chillness seems to have reduced, but I am not absolutely sure. So, there is a possibility of the AC being faulty.
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:28   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Tata Altroz XZ diesel( single tone top end at the time)- October 2020- 35k km done.
The SA said this is wear and tear issue and can not be covered in warranty. So, I thought I will live with it.
Wear and tear issue? That is a load of BS. I would have given an earful to the SA. That A/C button is supposed to last for the lifetime of the vehicle. They can't cover up poor quality parts under wear and tear. Does it say anywhere in the manual, that one has to change the A/C button in 30k kms or once in a couple of years?

Discolouring or fading of plastic markings can be forgiven given Tata's reputation, but a button giving up should be replaced under warranty.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 19:01   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Wear and tear issue? That is a load of BS. I would have given an earful to the SA. That A/C button is supposed to last for the lifetime of the vehicle. They can't cover up poor quality parts under wear and tear. Does it say anywhere in the manual, that one has to change the A/C button in 30k kms or once in a couple of years?

Discolouring or fading of plastic markings can be forgiven given Tata's reputation, but a button giving up should be replaced under warranty.
I will visit another service center for my next service, which will be pretty soon, and get it checked out. I am not gonna let it go this time. There's only a few more months of warranty left. (I do have my extended warranty though).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks