Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2022, 14:58   #106
BHPian

Re: As of today, what's broken / not working in your car?

2011 1.6 TDI Vento 153000kms
  • ABS sensor
  • Armrest Lock
  • All AC vents
  • rear defogger switch coating is gone (Thanks to leaking ambi pur )
  • Driver side window switch
  • Suspension and clutch need to be replaced soon

2012 Touareg TDI 54000kms
  • Rear boot lock (it works but does not send any signal when the tailgate opened. So the MID always shows the tailgate is closed even when it is open Because of this the boot lights don't turn on)
  • Rear climate control (2 buttons broken)
  • Passenger side window switch
  • Front grill broken
Atharva4545 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 14:59   #107
BHPian

Brilliant thread!

Vento TDi HL, 2012 - 148K, Needs a bumper replacement and a main oil seal leak needs fixing. Will get the Oil Seal this weekend. Thinking of getting a full restoration like Bhpian 300KMPH

i10 Magna 2009 - 31K, needs a second steering column replacement. That on a city-run, single-hand car. Hyundai really screwed up on that part!
Old 17th May 2022, 15:02   #108

2018 Hyundai Elite i20 (50k on the odo)

Right front camber reading was -ve after I ran over a water filled pothole that went unnoticed. Car was pulling to the left and hence got the lower arm replaced under warranty and changed the knuckle too. Issue has reduced significantly but not 100% resolved. Call it bad luck, had a big thud again on the same tyre recently as I could not avoid a pothole (Bengaluru roads )

2008 Apache RTR 160 (55k on the odo)

Recently serviced and it is running smoothly. Only issue is that the battery is almost dead and needs replacement. Need to kick start and once running, head light, Brake light and indicator work fine. Horn works whenever it wants to work with varied frequency and instrument cluster shows all funny readings.
Old 17th May 2022, 15:14   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know where to begin!

All the cars are mechanically fit, but Mumbai roads & age always sees some teething issue to be fixed.

2012 F30 328i : Have to update to new TCU tune, and waiting on a control module to complete the modifications; other work is small wear and tear related items like sticky door handles in the rear, preventative replacements of fuel pressure pump + tyres, and a small rattle from the rear.

2016 S-Cross 1.6 : Recently saw new tyres, suspension, clutch, lights, etc. Mostly minor work pending such as battle scars on the body, interior bits like the gearknob, leather cover for the steering, & some rattles - rectification of these bits is underway and body work probably after monsoons.
A slightly more serious matter is the play in the steering which the mechanic has assured he will look into in June once he's back from a short break.

2016 W205 C220D : near perfect!! A couple of rattles, and a broken boot switch but otherwise running smooth. However, the A.C. seems to be weakening and needs to be checked out during the next service.

2017 Toyota Corolla VL : near perfect!! Just 2 rattles : one from the front passenger seat which vibrates, and one from the driver's side seatbelt cover which I will get done during the next service.

2018 VW Tiguan 2.0TDi : near perfect! Some aesthetic bits from fighting city traffic and the cyclone which threw some debris on the car; and a faint rattle from the doorpad but otherwise going strong.

2019 Lexus ES300H : Perfect! A good detail and PPF removal is pending which will happen post monsoons.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 15:49   #110
BHPian

Grand i10 2015
Fog lamps's wires or connection or the stalk is loose. Fog lamps doesn't work. It sometimes glows, sometimes flickers etc.
Old 17th May 2022, 16:13   #111
Senior - BHPian

Wagon R VXi 2016 : ~ 29400km
Not Working : The key fob.

After a drop yesterday which sent the immobiliser chip flying out
Was driving with two keys, one to start the car and the second to arm the intrusion alarm as the second key didn't have an operational battery.
Visited my MASS in the evening where they inserted the chip back inside the fob and secured the loose cover at zero costs.

Access 125 2017 : ~14500kms
Not Working : the electric starter.

Due to a busted battery as a result of occasional and short running.
Will keep as is since the usage isn't improving anytime soon, will charge it post a service which should last for about 3 weeks.

Last edited by shancz : 17th May 2022 at 16:13. Reason: Grammar
Old 17th May 2022, 16:13   #112
BHPian

Wah !! Perfect thread for my baby. 2013 Polo SR
Noise while steering at low speeds- Entire Suspension repair and steering rack replacement was done an year ago, finger crossed, hopefully its a bad strut bearing.

Extremely heavy clutch- no clutch bite/ hard shift issues yet, its just heavy, I guess pressure plate is screaming to get replaced.

Fog lamp moisture entry.

Side skirt out of its perfect shape - Polo SR came with body kit and I'm not surprised as its being used in Mumbai and Bangalore roads.

Last edited by Adam : 17th May 2022 at 16:37.
Old 17th May 2022, 16:14   #113
BHPian

2013 GT TSI - 73k kms
  • Left fog light is not working. I don't know if it is just a loose connection because it doesn't work for a few months at a stretch and suddenly comes back on and works for a few more months flawlessly. Will get it checked during service.
  • Left front brake judder - At 90-100kph, touching the brakes makes the left front shudder violently. There are no problems whatsoever when driving within the city, even at speeds of 60kph. Again, to be checked during service.
2020 - Karoq - 8k kms
  • ABS sensor failed last month. Replaced under warranty.
  • Rear wiper rubber is gone. Not wiping properly. But not getting the size (13"). Will have to go to Skoda service.
Now comes the biggie - I know the OP says 'Car' but please, may I include my motorcycle?

2012 Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS 23k kms
  • Has been lying absolutely idle since 2016.
  • In 2019, I got a local mechanic to start it up but did not ride it for more than 2-3 days.
  • In 2021 Jan, again got another local mechanic to start it but he could not manage to make it last. I'd drive it back from the garage but it wouldn't start the next morning. Gave up after a few tries.
  • 2022 April - Decided to get Bajaj to look at it. Primarily since my son was excited about getting bike rides. Got it towed to Bajaj and they kept it for a month and changed the following -
  1. All cables
  2. Front & rear shockers
  3. Engine rocker
  4. Clutch plate
  5. All filters and oils
  6. Brake calipers and master cylinder, front & back
  7. Carburettor
  8. Battery
The total cost of the above was 24k. Yes, more than the resale value of a working bike, I know. I went ahead and changed both tires for an additional cost of 5k. So total expenses 30k. And my son gets a bike ride every evening.

Old 17th May 2022, 16:18   #114

2015 Elite i20@ 93000 km:
- Rear Parking lamps on Right Hand side isn't working. Need to get the bulbs replaced
- After market fitted Trumpet horn - Loose connectivity on one of the horns is causing an issue
- That annoying dashboard sound - God only knows where this sound comes from. Its intermittent and happens only after the car goes through multiple potholes or on those really bad and notorious rumble strips..

While the first 2 issues can be fixed in a single visit to the Garage, with regards to the Dashboard sound, I think figuring out where the noise is coming from is going to be painful... it goes away when the car is parked and it never crops up when I'm with the mechanic at the garage!
Old 17th May 2022, 16:21   #115
BHPian

9 year old Honda Brio
The car had a groaning suspension which I got fixed a few months back.
The front left parking light does not work, even after getting the bulb replaced.
Rattles can be heard from the door panels and from around the dashboard when going over bad roads (which means they can be heard on all roads )
The driver's door stopper has rusted and broken off. The result is that the door can swing open past 90 degrees. Beat that, Tata Altroz!

10 year old Polo 1.6
Don't know how much the car has driven because the odometer has conked off.
The odd squeak from the suspension comes now and then.
And of course, the prolific ABS sensor issue without which a VAG is not a true VAG
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 16:39   #116
BHPian

2011 Ford Figo Diesel 69,000km
AC seems to be having some issues on long drives. After approx. 2 hours the blowers stop throwing the air at expected speed. The air is still cool, but it comes out very slowly from the vents. If I turn off the fan for couple of hours it starts working again for some time.

Showed it to Ford ASC and they replaced the damaged condenser but issue is still there. Took it to ASC again but this time they said it's issue with the thermistor. 5 minutes later the SA changed his opinion and blamed a faulty sensor somewhere under the dashboard, for which there would be huge labour cost to open and fix. Also I will have to leave the car for 4-5 days since it's a labour intensive work. I couldn't leave the car for such a long duration at that time so decided not to go ahead with the repair at ASC.

Change of statements from the SA isn't inspiring any confidence and I am wondering if I should take it to a good FNG but I remember SA also said that removal of dashboard is a difficult job and is done by only the senior most mechanic at the ASC. So not sure if I should trust and FNG with this.
Old 17th May 2022, 16:50   #117
BHPian

2011 VW Vento 1.6 MPI - 32k Kms

1. Front Towing Hook eye broken since a small touch from non attentive biker. Have got the bumper changed once since then but, couldn't find the right towing eye to fit.

2. FR Bumper has a minor crack, just beneath the RHS headlight due to 5 vehicles ending up kissing each each other near Manesar toll plaza when the wagon R in front of me applied sudden brakes and the 1st Gen Dzire [4th car from me] couldn't be stopped in time due to its tiny tires

3. RHS headlight fogging up

4. Engine undercover - gone after a bottom hit. The cover saved the whatever spot it was hit at! - SC quotes 8k!!!

5. Rubber coverings for FR ORVMS triangle panel have shown their age. We enjoy a cool whistle at highway speeds. Unjustifiable prices to change.

6. FR armrest upper cover broken. The price quoted is obnoxiously high plus the waiting time of a month!!!

7. An original VW - 14" wheel cover is broken [Still good then nothing] too costly to change.

8. Some issue with the RR alignment, Inner tread wear is great. No amount of washers/adjustments/jugaars have been able to fix it. RR Dead axle costs a whopping Rs. 1 Lakhs [96k to be precise]

9. RR Boot misaligned in the Manesar toll plaza kissing incident.

10. RHS taillamp broken and inner member misaligned due to the RR hit - same plaza blah blah blah incident.

MS Alto - 2005 - Type II - 1.6 Lakh Kms

1. Suspension change needed

2. Steering rack change needed

3. FR & RR Bumper change needed

4. Some minor Denting & painting work needed

5. A broken RHS tail lamp - its mechanically fit and fine, to the 'e' otherwise!
Old 17th May 2022, 17:19   #118

Interesting thread idea! Here are my additions to it, owing to having two 'notorious' models/brands and a super-reliable one in our garage:

Tata Aria 4x4 | 2011 | 75k kms (Ariana)

- Ratchet-mechanism of the handbrake; the teeth have worn out which results in the handbrake not locking-in at the desired position, not that the Aria (or even Hexa) had an amazing handbrake to begin with. On the other hand though, because of the Aria's useless handbrake (even when it works as it is intended to), I believe I have mastered the art of clutch control in stop-go uphill traffic on steep and narrow Himachal roads with a fully loaded 2.9 ton SUV

- Reverse Parking switch- Doesn't turn on reversing lights and the parking sensors at first go. Have to engage reverse gear at least twice to get the lights and sensors working.

- Broken rear parking sensor clamp, as a result, one of the reverse parking sensors has gone inside the bumper and senses it as an obstacle, telling to "STOP!" on the display, rendering it useless for actual obstacles.

- Parking sensor buzzer changes it's tone whenever it wishes to. For the most part, it's barely audible, but what I have noticed is whenever the car is driven in the hills, the buzzer works at 200%! I can't put my finger on whether it's the elevation, the weather, the humidity (or lack thereof) of the hills that results in this behavior.

- B-pillar, C-pillar and one of the dashboard-mounted AC vents have broken directional levers since we bought it (pre-owned in 2017) but don't really affect the efficacy of the AC (which, is a chiller like any other Tata car) hence didn't replace, not to mention the hassle of sourcing not-so-common parts for an Aria.

- Rear right window mechanism has slowed down and makes noise while operating, it probably is on its last legs. All the other window mechanisms have been replaced by me. Don't know what it is with Tata and window winders, even our Indica needed replacement of window winders in her 12 year stint with us. On the bright side, Tata seems to have adopted the child-part policy, as you can now purchase just the window winder cable mechanism without the motor which reduces the cost significantly.

- Master window control switch on the driver door and individual control switches on each door have come loose, resulting in the plastic button moving but not actuating the switch.

- Rear window defogger doesn't work but the ORVM defoggers do (tried in the sub 10°C month of Jan, here in Punjab). Not getting it fixed as it is of minimal use and does not affect the car or our use.

Skoda Laura TSI | 2012 | 78k kms (Laura Croft)

- One peculiar issue: The engine sounds super smooth and refined (more so than our Brio's L12B) at cold start but starts knocking once operating temperature is reached (90° as shown by the coolant temp gauge). This knocking is only experienced at part throttle load between 1.5k and 2.5k RPM and not at any other point in the entire rev range. CEL is on - OBD scan shows that the camshaft position is off, likely that the cam-position sensor is misbehaving - have to get it sorted. No obvious difference in performance and fuel economy (9 in the city, 15 on the highway)

- Infrequent rattle from near the third brake light cowl. Will remedy it with foam tape.

- Broken central-dashboard vents: Some of the fins have come off of the direction-control knob. Classic VAG AC-vent affair.

- Like the Aria, rear window defogger doesn't work but the ORVM defoggers do. Not getting it fixed for the same reason.

Honda Brio | 2012 | 53k kms (Eva)

- The seatbelt buzzer/handbrake on alert buzzer/indicator sound speaker has loose contact. Does not work 99% of the times, apart from when the car has been parked in direct sunlight for long and the interiors are baking hot.

- High-mounted stop lamp aka third brake light stopped working. Will replace it with a T-10 LED.
Old 17th May 2022, 17:20   #119
BHPian

Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI - 2012 January - 78,886 kms

1. Clutch has become hard to operate and I end up stalling the vehicle sometimes during stop-and-go situations. There is also squeaking sound from the pedal which is very irritating at times. It is up for replacement in the next service
2. Squeaking sound from the seat belt buckle socket yes, very weird -need to fix this with a sponge and then tape it
3. A strange sound sometimes from AC and the effectivess has also reduced over the years - a perennial VAG trait I suppose. I do not think the Skoda ASS folks are competent enough to even identify the root cause, let alone fixing it.
4. The ParkPilot sensors sometimes stop working - I am pretty certain that this is a wiring issue as I recently got a retrofit done (front parking sensors) which involved replacement of module and wiring as well
Old 17th May 2022, 17:35   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

What a fun thread!

2011 VW Vento AT Highline
- Left rear door does not open from the outside (we call it a "reverse child lock" ). VW ASS quoted 5K to replace some pin that will fix it. Politely told them no!
- Both front and rear metal strips (a distinguishing feature of the Highline vs other trims) are long gone!
- AC vertical vents are broken. They are notoriously brittle in the VW, have already changed a couple of sets. But the air flow is unobstructed so I have left it at is (again, around 5-6K to replace)
- The clasp that locks the driver's armrest broke a few years ago. You guessed it: 5K quote to get it fixed!
- Boot lamp doesn't work. Hardly use the car for long trips anymore so it doesn't really matter.

Lest you guys think I am some sort of cheapskate, I make sure the suspension, engine, gearbox, tyres etc. are in good condition through regular preventive maintenance.

2020 Kia Seltos GTX plus diesel AT
- Doesn't (yet) have anything broken except a parcel tray that rattles annoyingly at times.
- And that damned TPMS that needs to be reset every time your tyre pressure goes under 30. But Kia claims thats a feature not a bug!!

Last edited by noopster : 17th May 2022 at 17:37.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks