Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2022, 11:17   #166
BHPian

Re: As of today, what's broken / not working in your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoyal1996 View Post
Do check either of your wheel bearings.

A bad bearing also makes a great deal of whinning noise which gets exponential as the vehicle speed increases.
The sound I feel is coming from somewhere in the engine bay, and is very similar to the steering box noise, that's why I'm assuming that is the issue. I will be sending it to an FNG to get it checked soon. Hoping it's nothing too big
RunSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 12:02   #167

TVS Ntorq (2020)

The engine has a very weird vibrating-sound, like something scraping coming off of it on a cold start. It goes away after driving for awhile. Doesn't happen when the engine is turned off and on again while it is hot though.
MatteBlack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 14:16   #168
BHPian

Adding a few which are no more also:-

Lambretta just fell out of use as it was too bulky for dad to drive. Sold as scrap! Lot of tears to see it go. A limo in scooters - it was that long. Learn to ride this and you can ride any two wheeler. Scooter with a chain drive - cleaned it with dad so often!

Chetak ES electric start. Starter failed, then again fell out of use a when dad could ride this also no more and I could use only on home vacations! 13k plus.

Yezdi Monarch 42k plus. Started leaking oil from kick/gear lever seal. Couldn't get replacements and wrote off too many trousers with oil stains. Still, fell out of use with the coming of a Kinetic Nova which again bought for wifey but she smoothly took the car and I had to give the yezdi a rest. What a fall from grace 250cc to measly 135 and that too gearless. I shall overcome!

Kinetic Nova 15k plus. Well graduated to a car (or almost till wife took that too) and Mahindra took over. Then the service guy had an identity crisis. Mileage dropped to 25 something. Poor pickup and mechanics were clueless.

Then comes the Bull Classic 350 18k Life comes full circle. Silencer rusted. Two replacements (one in guarantee), front disc hydraulic seems to loose pressure without oil loss, rusting on both battery and tool box covers inner side. Rusting on rear grab rail and screws, battery rubber strap broken, gearbox cover lost its finish. Runs like a dream still.

Indica V2 62k served well. Small niggles with fuel pipeline, rare cold start problems, rats ate the wires in the open parking at Mumbai, else a gem always. Will miss the space, ruggedness and first car love.

Tata Nano exchanged for Indica just because I love the car and concept. A downsize but upgrade in mileage and driveabilty! Hitting 10k. Two times used a driver for interstate transport. l guess he screwed it up- first had AC condenser issues and then silencer noise. Both sorted and running great. Had a rear tyre ripped - god knows how.

XUV 5OO W8. 34k running strong. Driver side window auto cutoff failed - sorted. Rear tailgate strut jammed - replaced.

Seems to have a light judder on steering sometimes while turning. Analysing.

Lastly, a Montra trance pro probably a 1500k. Gave trouble on pedal crank misaligned and play in handle down tube (jugad fix with additional washer by Indian mechanic a;-))

Mod Note : Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th May 2022 at 16:43. Reason: See Mod Note.
Freespirit27 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th May 2022, 14:34   #169
BHPian

2010 - Maruti Alto LXI - 42k KM - Suspension noise, left side strut. The radio facia panel is broken and needs replacement. Recently changed the AC condenser and clutch pack.

2018 - VW Tiguan HL - 17K KM - No issues presently. Replaced the battery recently and also the music system.
AjiGTI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 15:48   #170
BHPian

Grand I10 - 29000 kms on ODO
Steering mounted controls were not working due to spring failure.
Already spring was replaced by Hyundai ASC when ODO was 18000 kms. Gone kaput again when ODO was 23000 kms. So decided to live with it.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 17:33   #171
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

So, there are the cars in our family.
A 2013 Swift ZDi, 2017 Honda City ivtec S mt, 2008 Honda civic V mt.

The swift is doing pretty good. Although it takes some time to crank. I think the battery is going down. And there is a ton of smoke in cold starts and rough idling. Haven't got the time to check it out. Also a slight water leak from the doors in heavy rain. Not a problem though. Also there is a pretty bad sound from the suspension/steering rack when going through rough surface like interlock tiles and untarred/soled roads. Another thing is the blinking auto A/C icon in the climate control. Probably some sensor gone bad Other than that everything is fine.

The city being pretty new is almost spotless. Although there is a weird sound at times from the engine bay. A very small creaking sound. I dunno from where though. Might be from the engine mount or something. Need to get it checked before the warranty runs out.

The civic has a lot of issues. Almost all of them are caused by me. The front suspension bushes have gone bad. Left half axle is bad and making the tick tick sound. The rear suspension is almost shot. The rear brake pad is almost done, waiting for boodmo delivery. The steering rack is in surprisingly good shape though. Also the battery is on it's way out. Electronics begin to act up when the car is not running for a few days. I lost the centre cap of the alloy wheel. Engine/transmission wise it's just a gem. The ride quality of this thing is sublime ( i am still running on the stock 15" alloys) the steering is insane and it is a very good mile muncher.

That's all there is to know about our cars.
josephilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 17:51   #172
BHPian

2013 VW Vento (1.6 TDI HL) - 85k on the ODO.

2 AC vents broken. Going to live with it!

Centre Arm rest storage lock broken about 20k before - Going to live with it!

Front Passenger side window operating switch broken - will be replaced in the coming up service.

A small crack on the wind shield (due to a small stone from the speeding truck up front!) - Will be replaced in the coming up service.

Outer rubber cover on Antenna worn off, exposing the metal inside - will be replaced in the coming up service. Boodmo did not support timely. Delivery was getting extended by few weeks every time

Sound absorber (insulator) for engine bonnet - damaged due to rat bite. Ordered replacement from Boodmo. Will be replacing soon.

Else, an excellent drive!
Srikanthan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 18:07   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Change only the ball joint that is bad. The Toyota ball joints are very well made and last a long time. Do not go with the service advisor's say on changing both of them if they are fine and working well without any noise or play.
Hi Sagar,
The SA is very insistent on getting both changed at the same time. Changing both the ball joints will cost me 12k. How long will the right one last if I don't get it changed now?

Regards
KK
Old 18th May 2022, 18:48   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK2001 View Post
Hi Sagar,
The SA is very insistent on getting both changed at the same time. Changing both the ball joints will cost me 12k. How long will the right one last if I don't get it changed now?

Regards
KK
Cannot say how long the right one will last. No one can answer that. Not even your SA. Why change something that is not broken? You save 6k by not changing the right side one.

Ask the SA why he is insisting on charging both. If what he tells is not convincing for you do not change.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 19:04   #175

2021 Vitara Brezza ZXI+ - 3800Kms - Rear right mudflap hanging. Realised the bottom part of it was stuck with double sided tape instead of clips or screws.
Old 18th May 2022, 20:49   #176
BHPian

Swift Dzire DDIS (7 Years/ 80K): Apart from minor dents due to 2 wheeler, some noise with the steering on turning and reduced pickup + mileage. Due for the service though.

Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI (1 Year/ 23K): One tyre sidewall bulge + clattering noise from engine in the turbo range and lower gears + shuddering during braking > 60kmph + reduced performance after first service.
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 21:38   #177
Senior - BHPian

As expected my 5 year old Honda City's touchscreen is in it's death throe's: connects to my phone via BT and am able to take calls, rear view camera works. That said the car is a pleasure to drive it's butter smooth now. with 28K kms on the odo.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 23:37   #178
BHPian

Mercedes c class W204 ~ 60k on the ODO, age12 years: a. Comand Control button needs replacement. Don’t much use it so haven’t bothered. b. Driver side headrest popped open. Internal plastic parts seem broken. Looking to find a replacement that doesn’t cost 5% of the car value. c. Rear left door handle. Doesn’t open occasionally. SA at Merc says it’ll just give up one day, can’t say when. �� d. Struts - making horrid sounds - have replaced them twice already. Latest 1 year back. Don’t know whether the quality of struts is poor (Sachs-boge) or it’s the roads that do this to my poor car. e. Horn - high tone not working. SA gave me a 30k qoute for the horn replacement. I hate honking and honkers anyways. f. Left AC vent control button is missing. Just discovered so last week. g. The small sliding cover of the arm rest broke. The cup holders are now open. Doesn’t really affect me. Easier to dump ‘em keys inside.
All of the above doesn’t overly affect my routine running so I’m pulling along. Got the servicing done last week. So unless any of these pose an operational hassle they’ll be tackled only at next service except the headrest.

Creta - 65k on the ODO - Age 6: The AC cools but only at max cool. Gotta figure it out

Honda city - 70k on the ODO - 11 years: no real complaints except the suspension. I just feel it has weakened.

Hyundai i10 - 85k on the ODO - Age 14: a. AC doesn’t come on occasionally b. Sunroof control buttons and the lamp buttons are broken. Sent it last month to get the servicing done and fix an oil leak. They did the “full servicing” and fixed the oil and none of this stuff was even asked to be fixed. So much for the diligent attentive service of Hyundai. It’s basically an errand car used by the staff so it hasn’t triggered the desire to call the ASC and give them a piece of my mind.

Last edited by vineshpikale : 18th May 2022 at 23:45.
vineshpikale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 01:14   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK2001 View Post
Hi Sagar,
The SA is very insistent on getting both changed at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Why change something that is not broken?
Ask the SA why he is insisting on charging both.
My understanding is because components in pair are always changed together to minimize the mismatch and failure due to unevenness. Like changing of tyres(always changed in pair either front or rear) and shocker components including ball joints, struts, springs, mounts, bushings, seals etc.

Last edited by Sran : 19th May 2022 at 01:15.
Sran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 01:55   #180
BHPian

The only thing broken in my 10.5 years old, 1.1 Lakh KMs done Vento for some time is steering mounted controls. They are not broken per say, but only work intermittently and mostly needs a very firm push to work. The replacement cost is 13K and that has made me stay away from getting them replaced.

Otherwise nothing broken in the car. Everything works fine.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks