Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2018, 01:52   #916
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car battery life - How long did your battery last?

Post the OEM battery, which lasted for 4.5 years, none of the OEM battery lasted beyond
33 months. They all lasted over 30 though so I never got a free replacement 😁

2.5 years is the standard that's been set for my car I guess.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 18:27   #917
Senior - BHPian

My Santro has completed 5.5 years and so as the battery. So far no issue of any kind. No trouble in starting even if kept idle for a week or so.
Do you experts feel I still should go ahead and get it replaced. I do not want to get stranded en route in city due to sudden battery failure. Not sure if that will happen.
Old 14th July 2018, 11:36   #918
Senior - BHPian

My Xcent SX(O) AT petrol apparently has a 40AH battery (exide) and not a 35AH battery.
The dealer stated he had exide of the same rating for about 4800 Rs. Im finding it hard to find Amaron Battery which is 40AH. Are they more difficult to get?
Even the exide is difficult to get on online stores
Old 18th July 2018, 11:56   #919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
My Santro has completed 5.5 years and so as the battery. So far no issue of any kind. No trouble in starting even if kept idle for a week or so.
Do you experts feel I still should go ahead and get it replaced. I do not want to get stranded en route in city due to sudden battery failure. Not sure if that will happen.
Suggest you go through this thread -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post408276

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
My Xcent SX(O) AT petrol apparently has a 40AH battery (exide) and not a 35AH battery.
The dealer stated he had exide of the same rating for about 4800 Rs. Im finding it hard to find Amaron Battery which is 40AH
Had similar issues on my Palio - manual says 50AH but Amaron had only 45AH; but the 45AH worked fine. (thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4430275 )

What is more important is the required CCA (cold cranking amp rating); as long as the Amaron Dealer has a factory recommended battery for your car, there should not be a problem in getting it.
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 11:02   #920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Had similar issues on my Palio - manual says 50AH but Amaron had only 45AH; but the 45AH worked fine.
What is more important is the required CCA (cold cranking amp rating); as long as the Amaron Dealer has a factory recommended battery for your car, there should not be a problem in getting it.
My dealer who kept telling me that 40Ah needs to be replaced with 40Ah, did a u turn and wants to plonk in a 35 Ah which is apparently the standard. What shocked me is that the service engineer who called me about this did not know that the batteries had different capacities and what it means. The different in CCA is 12 ie 354 vs 342. Does this make a difference.
Old 21st July 2018, 09:09   #921
Senior - BHPian

To end the story, they give a 40Ah battery and fitted it.
Looking at it 40 vs 35 Ah is not a huge difference in capacity. I'm not sure why Hyundai resorts to non standard capacities for factory fitment and does not tell dealers on how to source them.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 17:45   #922
BHPian

My Ford OEM battery started giving issues 3 months short of 3 years. I am going on a road trip in a couple of weeks time and am in a dilemma to change the battery or not. Also not sure whether to get the battery replaced at the Ford Showroom or any battery store. Also what would be the preferred make for a Ford Ecosport Diesel? Please advise.
Old 31st July 2018, 18:09   #923
BHPian

It might be because of my low running but, somehow my car's battery is still going strong after 6 years and 32,000 kms done. The car cranks up with a flick of the key and everything works fine. The battery has got discharged completely twice due to me leaving headlights on but everything else is good.
Old 5th August 2018, 12:48   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
My Ford OEM battery started giving issues 3 months short of 3 years. I am going on a road trip in a couple of weeks time and am in a dilemma to change the battery or not. Also not sure whether to get the battery replaced at the Ford Showroom or any battery store. Also what would be the preferred make for a Ford Ecosport Diesel? Please advise.
Got the battery checked at the showroom and got the feedback that it is good to go for at-least another year. The issue for the discharge was that i was using the blower for atleast 30 mins without the engine being switched on !!!
dpkbehera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 12:57   #925
Senior - BHPian

I am on my second battery (Bosch make) in my 12 year old petrol swift. The OEM Amaron battery lasted for ~6 years after which I replaced it before embarking on a long drive.
Old 6th August 2018, 11:34   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Ford OEM battery started giving issues 3 months short of 3 years.
Quote:
Got the battery checked at the showroom and got the feedback that it is good to go for at-least another year.
Incidentally, a colleague's Ford Classic refused to start in the morning a few days ago. It was jump started and brought to the battery dealer who tested it and assured us that all was well and could be used for a year more after charging it in the shop. The Ford OEM Motorcraft battery had served well for five and a half years and hence we decided to let it go. An Amaron battery with 24+24 months warranty was plonked in for ₹4,700/-. Hope it will last as long as (if not more than) the OEM battery.

Another colleague's July 2012 Swift Vdi had its Amaron battery replaced exactly on its anniversary day six years after its purchase. It refused to start that morning and was promptly replaced with an Exide (24+24) for ₹6,300/-.

An acquaintance's 2010 Alto K10 and my Zen Estilo of the same vintage are still running on their original SF Sonic batteries (Touchwood ).
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 18:13   #927
BHPian

My old Exide battery had become weak in the corolla and it was time to change the same. It was Exide champion and lasted for 4 years. In the last car service in June, the workshop folks had said that battery is weak as one cell is dead so it needs to be replaced. Tired battery boss for the first time and service was excellent in under 2 hours a guy came over on the scooter and he put in a new battery manufactured in July 2018. So overall experience was good paid Rs 3350 for it. Also i got it Rs 250 cheaper than the price my local shop was offering. Would recommend batteryboss.in after the experience i had.
Dushie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 22:03   #928
Senior - BHPian

OEM batteries generally last for lesser time than the aftermarket ones. Reason is the OEM, being cost conscious and after tabletop calculations specify certain rating for batteries to be used. That may or may not take into consideration real world running conditions. A city driven car or a night driven car requires more battery than a highway driven or daylight driven one.

It's always better to go for higher AH rated battery than the one which came with vehicle.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 22:35   #929
BHPian

The OEM Amaron in my K10 was replaced last week. The battery seemed OK but would through an occasional tantrum especially during restarting at traffic lights. The battery shop showed a report that the battery was bad with some tool. I wasn’t convinced and asked him to show me the voltage drop at cranking. The voltage dipped to 8V! Replaced with Amaron again.
I had replaced my Esteem’s battery with an Amaron in 2011 and it was still OK till I sold it off a couple of months back - thats about 7 years!
Old 30th August 2018, 18:04   #930
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
To end the story, they give a 40Ah battery and fitted it.
Looking at it 40 vs 35 Ah is not a huge difference in capacity. I'm not sure why Hyundai resorts to non standard capacities for factory fitment and does not tell dealers on how to source them.
Amp's dont matter, volts do as far as thing's going horribly wrong are concerned. The Amp of the battery determines the load it can handle for a period of an hour, so practically 40 to 35 won't make a noticeable difference.

Just make sure everything fits well and is no possibility of drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoin View Post
The OEM Amaron in my K10 was replaced last week. The battery seemed OK but would through an occasional tantrum especially during restarting at traffic lights. The battery shop showed a report that the battery was bad with some tool. I wasn’t convinced and asked him to show me the voltage drop at cranking. The voltage dipped to 8V! Replaced with Amaron again.
I had replaced my Esteem’s battery with an Amaron in 2011 and it was still OK till I sold it off a couple of months back - thats about 7 years!
Modern batteries come with an inspection window that changes colour, once you see things starting to go black, periodically do a volt draw test and scrap the battery the moment it drops below 10v.

My Thumb Rule is to change Motorcycle batteries every 3 years and Car batteries every 4 years, no second thoughts, better be mindful and run reliably than be an inconvenience to self and everyone around.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed