Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2017, 13:33   #811
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car battery life - How long did your battery last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukheshkumar View Post
Here, in case of battery, Deposit is when you drive car without headlight, AC, Music , Start and Stop, other ICE etc. Your lights, music system, ac ICE etc are withdrawals.
Most car users are under the impression that it is the battery that provides the power. It's not as simple as that. It is the alternator that provides electrical power to the car when the engine is ON. The only time the battery comes into the picture is when the alternator output is LESS than the required/demanded load (for e.g. at low engine RPM with AC, wipers, lamps switched on) OR when the engine is off. So the battery acts like a buffer, storing electricity & provides it when required.

So to use your analogy of a savings bank account:

a) Your income is the power provided by the alternator
b) Your battery is the savings account. You make deposits or withdrawals when necessary
c) Your expenses are the electrical load on the system

When your expenses (the electrical load) exceeds your income (alternator generated power) you dip into your savings account (the battery) to make up for the shortfall.

When there is no load or partial load (income exceeds expenses) all the extra money (electrical power) is stored in your savings account (battery). I hope this clarifies.

And remember in modern cars electrical power is consumed by just running the car for e.g. by the ignition system, ECU, fans, sensors, ABS, DRLs, etc. In other words the alternator is ALWAYS under some load even if ICE, accessories and other electrical units are switched off.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 19:48   #812
BHPian

Car battery life - How long did your battery last?

My Skoda Rapid 2015 TDI AT battery lasted for 1 year 11 months and 2 weeks. It died while I had parked it outside my parents house on a sunday evening. Had to call road side assistance to jump start and that guy confirmed that battery wont recharge fully. So being a sunday i left the car there and ordered an AMARON 60AH battery through battery bhai the next day. The new battery was installed within 2 hours. The original SEBANG battery is Made in Korea but still doesnt last for 2 years.
Old 8th April 2017, 22:32   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
My Amaron car battery is exactly 6 years old. Never had any issues in the past. Recently, have some starting troubles, i.e. the car will not crank in the first couple of tries, when the engine is hot. It starts in first try when the engine is cold. But say, if I have a long drive and stop, and restart it gives that trouble. Will crank in the fourth or fifth try.
Just having a wild thought that could this be a battery issue and time to change it?

Any thoughts?
Please change your battery immediately. What if you are stuck miles from nowhere, especially at night with a dead Battery? Just jot down approx. amount of money you have spent over the past 6 years on fuel, service costs, other repairs & parts replacement, insurance. Add to this amount the depreciation over six years. Now, compared to this total amount. a new battery cost Peanuts!!!
Old 9th April 2017, 12:25   #814
BHPian

My Accent petrol battery lasted 5 years. It was a Amaron Pro. Replaced it again with Amaron pro. One day before dying, there was a slight delay in cranking and next day which was, fortunately, Sunday when I tried starting the car for cleaning, it didn't crank at all. I connected the battery to my handmade charger and the car started. Went straight to the dealer without any stop to change the battery. While charging I noticed there were bubbles in acid in all the cells except one cell, so one cell died and battery failed to provide full starting voltage.

Some information which might help others: Few months before there was a problem in starting and the car starter will sometime crank very slowly like the battery is almost dead, especially when the engine was hot. On inspection, it was found that there was a hairline crack in the outer body of the starter motor. Changed the starter motor and problem was solved.
Old 14th April 2017, 15:49   #815
Distinguished - BHPian

It has been a year almost since I was planning on replacing my WagonR's battery. The OE SF Sonic is 5 yrs 11 months old. Since the past 2 days, I feel the cranks are a bit slow and hesitant. It still starts with a single crank daily. Planning to change the battery over the weekend with a Amaron Flo of the same capacity.

Will order it from Carbatteryexpert as they have the lowest quote.
Old 17th April 2017, 10:05   #816
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
It has been a year almost since I was planning on replacing my WagonR's battery. The OE SF Sonic is 5 yrs 11 months old. Since the past 2 days, I feel the cranks are a bit slow and hesitant. It still starts with a single crank daily. Planning to change the battery over the weekend with a Amaron Flo of the same capacity.

Will order it from Carbatteryexpert as they have the lowest quote.
I changed my battery to an Amaron Flo. Ordered it from Car Battery Expert (online) and the guy was at my place in less than 2 hours. Installed in less than 10 mins and left with the old battery. The new battery costed me 3325 INR after exchanging my old battery.
Old 17th April 2017, 15:57   #817
BANNED

Over the past experience of almost forty five years, the OE battery gives me about two years. These days they are somewhat better, going on to three years.
Old 18th April 2017, 00:53   #818
BANNED

Got Amaron battery for the car today
Car battery life - How long did your battery last?-img_20170417_172753.jpg

Brand : Amaron
Name : FLO
Model Number : AAM-FL-565106590
Product Capacity: 65 Ah
MFD : March 2017
Price : ₹4,900
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:05   #819
BHPian

Is battery replacement by any chance a function of no. kms ? Suppose I cover 50k kms a year, is my battery going to last less as compared to say 15-20k kms/year.

Last edited by inder : 22nd April 2017 at 12:07.
Old 22nd April 2017, 15:45   #820
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Is battery replacement by any chance a function of no. kms ? Suppose I cover 50k kms a year, is my battery going to last less as compared to say 15-20k kms/year.
The first thing to remember is ANY battery has a limited life. It is a consumable item. It's life depends on a number of factors

a) Number of engine start/stop cycles
b) Number of charge/discharge cycles
c) Average state of charge & depth of discharge
d) Ambient and under the bonnet temperature
e) Alternator charging voltage
f) Plate construction & quality
g) Degree of sulphation
h) Regular maintenance

If you do 15-20K kms a year mostly in city traffic where the engine is at low speed (<2000 RPM) and only charges the battery partially, with AC & accessories switched on, then the battery will not last very long. On the other hand, if those 15-20K kms are done on the highway then that's better as the battery will be fully charged at higher road and engine speeds.

As for running of 15-20K kms vs 50K kms, all other things being equal the more you use the battery by cranking the engine and having the alternator charging it back up the lesser it will last. This is due to the # of charge discharge cycles. Shallower the discharge and more complete the recharge the better it is.

In hot climates most batteries last for 2-3 years. Diesel engines require greater cranking power and are harsher on the battery than a comparable petrol engine.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 00:22   #821
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Got Amaron battery for the car today
Attachment 1630465

Brand : Amaron
Name : FLO
Model Number : AAM-FL-565106590
Product Capacity: 65 Ah
MFD : March 2017
Price : ₹4,900
Hi guys,
Today my dad's i10 Automatic battery seems to have abruptly died completely. Central locking stopped working too and the lights are very weak. It's been around 5 years (same battery that came with the car).
  1. I believe the rated capacity would be 35 Ah since it's a petrol, and I checked online. The car running is extremely low, sometimes only once a week. Would there be any benefit going for a higher Ah battery and if so how high should I go?
  2. Which is the best Battery brand/model to go for nowadays.
  3. Should I investigate vehicle issues before buying the battery or just assume everything is fine and buy the battery.
Old 14th May 2017, 06:35   #822
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
  1. I believe the rated capacity would be 35 Ah since it's a petrol, and I checked online. The car running is extremely low, sometimes only once a week. Would there be any benefit going for a higher Ah battery and if so how high should I go?
  2. Which is the best Battery brand/model to go for nowadays.
  3. Should I investigate vehicle issues before buying the battery or just assume everything is fine and buy the battery.
1. Go with OE specifications - 35Ah.

2. You can choose Exide or Amaron

3. Check with Hyundai if they do the checks on battery/electrical or go to any battery dealer and ask them to check the battery and electricals if all is okay.

Last edited by a4anurag : 14th May 2017 at 06:38.
Old 14th May 2017, 09:46   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
[*]I believe the rated capacity would be 35 Ah since it's a petrol, and I checked online. The car running is extremely low, sometimes only once a week. Would there be any benefit going for a higher Ah battery and if so how high should I go?[/list]
With low running and over 5 years, I think you got a decent deal out of the battery. A higher rated battery with low running will be worse since it takes longer to recharge which is difficult if the car does not run much. If the car lies in the garage for extended periods of time, try keeping the terminals disconnected.
Old 14th May 2017, 13:50   #824
eko
BHPian

My maximum life I got from a battery was on Ambassador Nova diesel. The rated battery was 70 AH but I installed an 88 AH Amco battery. This gave me life of 5.5 years. The battery never even got discharged once. I have used only Amco/ Exide batteries in the last 35 years. Still find their performance very satisfactory.
Used to keep the terminals clean and smeared with vaseline. Good idea to keep the wiring harness couplings and earthing to be smeared with vaseline when car is new. The issues of oxidation in couplings and earthing can be avoided.
Old 17th May 2017, 19:15   #825
BHPian

I guess I am one of the lucky few whose Jetta battery is doing fine even after close to 5 years. The car has barely done 3000 kms the past year and a half and the battery is still fine. Touch wood.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks