Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2018, 23:11   #886
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car battery life - How long did your battery last?

My Nano's battery lasted till 4.5 years and 70k kms while it was with me. Now with a friend and no news of replacement, so I assume it's still going strong.
Old 8th March 2018, 00:55   #887
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I just changed the battery on my SX4 AT. 8 years and 3 months!!! Even I cannot quite believe it. The car is a December 2009 model and had the original battery till today.
Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 09:50   #888
Senior - BHPian

My Hyundai xcent sxo AT petrol is almost 4 years old and has run 22000 km. The only symptom it gives is a wavering horn when I honk for more than about 2 seconds. I have a few long trips lined up this summer and may need to change the battery. Amaron seems the most popular battery recommendation in this forum. Any particular model that will serve me best. I stay in a smaller town that has an Amaron store. Or else I may have to stick to what the dealer shoves at me.
Old 4th April 2018, 09:54   #889
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
My Hyundai xcent sxo AT petrol is almost 4 years old and has run 22000 km. The only symptom it gives is a wavering horn when I honk for more than about 2 seconds.
Does the Xcent have a dual-tone horn? If the tone changes if you press it for more than 2-seconds, it could be one of them coming on/going off. If the horn is the only noticeable change, it could be the horn itself and not the battery. Get the battery voltages checked, that'll help you decide whether it really needs a change.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 10:18   #890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Does the Xcent have a dual-tone horn? If the tone changes if you press it for more than 2-seconds, it could be one of them coming on/going off. If the horn is the only noticeable change, it could be the horn itself and not the battery. Get the battery voltages checked, that'll help you decide whether it really needs a change.
The horn is noticeably different in the last couple of months. This is what got me concerned.
I've asked the dealer to check the voltages and call me. Let's see what he says.
Old 5th April 2018, 07:16   #891
Senior - BHPian

The service engineer said that the battery was fine and did not need to be changed. Let's hope he is right. He mentioned the voltage is 12 2V and 10.6V on load.
Old 5th April 2018, 07:26   #892
BHPian

Car battery life - How long did your battery last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
The horn is noticeably different in the last couple of months. This is what got me concerned.

I've asked the dealer to check the voltages and call me. Let's see what he says.

When the battery turns weaker, the horn becomes weaker as well. A new battery should take care. Had felt the same thing before I changed the battery of my Punto. 4 years is a good time to change the battery IMO. A weaker battery can have a adverse effect on the abs and other electronics as well. Better to get the battery checked at a battery shop. Else the horn might need replacement.

Last edited by Waspune : 5th April 2018 at 07:30.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 14:01   #893
BANNED

I have an Amaron Battery 4ys old in my car. There is a battery indicator in it. It indicates that the battery needs charging.

Should I get it charged from a shop? or will normal driving take care of it?
Or is the battery about to die.
Old 3rd May 2018, 14:25   #894
BHPian

I bought my FIGO 1st gen Apr 2010, 8 years on and the battery is still running. In my last service last year, I was advised to get it replaced however I am still pushing it.

Though I am tempted to replace it, waiting to see how much it can stretch. Do batteries run this long?
Old 3rd May 2018, 14:40   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
I have an Amaron Battery 4ys old in my car. There is a battery indicator in it. It indicates that the battery needs charging.

Should I get it charged from a shop? or will normal driving take care of it?
Or is the battery about to die.
You cannot rely on the indicator solely to access a battery's condition. Usually, a battery tester is the right tool.It checks the battery under load condition, checks the internal resistance, etc.

Since your battery is already 4yrs old, to avoid surprises would suggest you get it checked with a tester from a battery shop & then charged too if required.

You could check if the battery indicator shows green colour after a long drive, but then again its not the correct procedure to check a battery that way.
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 12:45   #896
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I bought my FIGO 1st gen Apr 2010, 8 years on and the battery is still running. In my last service last year, I was advised to get it replaced however I am still pushing it.

Though I am tempted to replace it, waiting to see how much it can stretch. Do batteries run this long?
Wow, you are surely pushing it. Get a check-up done for each cell and see what charge it hold. In Indian conditions and traffic, anything above 4 years means a battery is living on borrowed time. You are lucky that you have a battery that's lasted 8+ years

OT: My current Alto Amaron Go battery is 5.5 years old but it is used fairly often and when the car is not used, I disconnect the -ve terminal and occasionally use a Bosch C3 charger to charge the battery which maintains its overall health.
Old 8th May 2018, 08:00   #897
BHPian

Folks, I have a Hyundai Verna 4S, 1.6 Petrol. It is 32 months old and 25000kms run. It has push button start ignition. Since past two days, the first attempt to start it in the morning has failed with the engine doing just half a crank and then all the hazard lights glowing. 5 seconds later, the second attempt is successful and the car runs fine there after.
I have also been noticing that the crank is now taking a few seconds longer than it used to earlier.
I am suspecting that my battery is now on life support and unless I give it bump or transplant, it will leave me soon.

What do the experts here think?
Is it related to the battery as I suspect?
I am thinking of getting the voltage checked later this week. If the output voltage is below the recommended, is there any way of charging/boosting the battery or should I get it replaced?

Last edited by drive2eternity : 8th May 2018 at 08:08.
Old 8th May 2018, 09:01   #898
BHPian

I drive a 2010 December make SX4 ZXi. Car was sparingly used for a period of 2 years when I had an overseas appointment. It has been over an year since my return. The battery is still holding really well.
Old 30th May 2018, 13:20   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Wow, you are surely pushing it. Get a check-up done for each cell and see what charge it hold. In Indian conditions and traffic, anything above 4 years means a battery is living on borrowed time. You are lucky that you have a battery that's lasted 8+ years
Finally it died today, it just did not crank today and went silent! Have to get one and wondering which is good. Should i get one form the dealer or should I look at one outside? Any inputs will help...
Old 30th May 2018, 13:35   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Finally it died today, it just did not crank today and went silent!
Outside is better. You can call online guys and they should do it within an hour or two. For me batterybhai got me a replacement in less than 2 hrs. Was a critical function day for me. Till that day there was never any cranking issue either. Murphys law sure strikes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks