Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th November 2017, 01:43   #871
BHPian

Default Re: Car battery life - How long did your battery last?

My Wagon R OEM battery lasted 6 years and car refused to start today. The battery has been showing signs of death with delayed start on few occasions . In the morning I had used air compressor for topping up air so that may have been the final nail in coffin.
Didn't bother to check the battery cells as I have a highway trip lined up, and ordered Amaron from carbatteryexpert. The battery was installed within two hours.
born_free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017, 06:49   #872
Senior - BHPian

I recently replaced the OE Exide on my 2009 Gypsy after eight years; car refused to start in the morning. Amazon Pitstop is close so it was worth a trial. Good experience overall - I was surprised to be told that it is no longer a case of order a new battery and wait for it to be charged before installing. All units on the shelf hold their charge for 6 months after the manufacturing date, and those that are date expired are not allowed to be sold. Pleasant to hear, that.

The one I bought was manufactured a month ago.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 22:01   #873
BHPian

Today serviced my RITZ VDI for the 6th year scheduled service. The SA was saying that the diagnostic check on the battery is recommending replacement of the battery. This is the OEM battery. I was also thinking along those lines for the past 2 months. But he was saying your battery lasting 6 years is a rare occurrence. Batteries of diesel cars will go kaput in 3 years. Is that correct? I do not think so.
srikanthns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 22:34   #874
BHPian

My OEM Exide Battery lasted around 6.5 years and 45000 kms. During service the mechanic said one cell is kaput and probably i may run another 5000km safely. The ignition duration had already lengthened. Also often some equipments failed to work, such as the power windows button did nothing when pressed but after engine switch off and on, they started working. I hesitated to play my ICE, especially on high volumes and amplification due to weak battery.

Despite all signs, I wanted to drag the old battery for some more days and suddenly on the anvil of a long drive to Kodaikkanal, I thought it would be wise to change battery but still persisted. There on the hills, the car was parked at a busy junction for more than an hour and I came back and tried starting and I felt no impulse, sound or light on and fear cropped inside me. But I opened the bonnet and twisted the terminals and tried again and the engine cranked to life. This experience gave me fear of vehicle getting stalled anywhere and as soon as I came back from that trip, I changed the battery.

I replaced with Exide MI80D26R RED battery with 18+18 months warranty for 6500 INR (including old battery exchange) . It was difficult to source Exide Batteries on demand. Luckily my colleague suggested a battery shop owner who obliged to bring a new battery to my residence and replace. Now I can
cs_rajesh is online now   Reply With Quote