Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2017, 01:43   #871
BHPian

Re: Car battery life - How long did your battery last?

My Wagon R OEM battery lasted 6 years and car refused to start today. The battery has been showing signs of death with delayed start on few occasions . In the morning I had used air compressor for topping up air so that may have been the final nail in coffin.
Didn't bother to check the battery cells as I have a highway trip lined up, and ordered Amaron from carbatteryexpert. The battery was installed within two hours.
Old 27th November 2017, 06:49   #872
Senior - BHPian

I recently replaced the OE Exide on my 2009 Gypsy after eight years; car refused to start in the morning. Amazon Pitstop is close so it was worth a trial. Good experience overall - I was surprised to be told that it is no longer a case of order a new battery and wait for it to be charged before installing. All units on the shelf hold their charge for 6 months after the manufacturing date, and those that are date expired are not allowed to be sold. Pleasant to hear, that.

The one I bought was manufactured a month ago.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 22:01   #873
BHPian

Today serviced my RITZ VDI for the 6th year scheduled service. The SA was saying that the diagnostic check on the battery is recommending replacement of the battery. This is the OEM battery. I was also thinking along those lines for the past 2 months. But he was saying your battery lasting 6 years is a rare occurrence. Batteries of diesel cars will go kaput in 3 years. Is that correct? I do not think so.
Old 6th December 2017, 22:34   #874
BHPian

My OEM Exide Battery lasted around 6.5 years and 45000 kms. During service the mechanic said one cell is kaput and probably i may run another 5000km safely. The ignition duration had already lengthened. Also often some equipments failed to work, such as the power windows button did nothing when pressed but after engine switch off and on, they started working. I hesitated to play my ICE, especially on high volumes and amplification due to weak battery.

Despite all signs, I wanted to drag the old battery for some more days and suddenly on the anvil of a long drive to Kodaikkanal, I thought it would be wise to change battery but still persisted. There on the hills, the car was parked at a busy junction for more than an hour and I came back and tried starting and I felt no impulse, sound or light on and fear cropped inside me. But I opened the bonnet and twisted the terminals and tried again and the engine cranked to life. This experience gave me fear of vehicle getting stalled anywhere and as soon as I came back from that trip, I changed the battery.

I replaced with Exide MI80D26R RED battery with 18+18 months warranty for 6500 INR (including old battery exchange) . It was difficult to source Exide Batteries on demand. Luckily my colleague suggested a battery shop owner who obliged to bring a new battery to my residence and replace. Now I can
Old 25th December 2017, 14:31   #875
NH7
BHPian

35Ah Exide battery on my Santro lasted just under 5 years before giving up the ghost. Pretty impressive considering the Santro is the families beater/ errand running machine, and little thought goes to mechanical/ electrical empathy towards the battery. Replaced with Amaron. 3600 under exchange, with 24+24 months warranty.
Old 28th December 2017, 14:30   #876
BHPian

Yesterday morning, my almost 4 years old Swift took longer time to start. Since then, every time I crank the engine, It is taking longer than usual.
Is it the sign of battery getting too old and asking for replacement?
I read in last few comments on this thread that, for few folks, battery has served them for more than 6 years. So, how long I can hang on to this battery?
Old 28th December 2017, 14:34   #877
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Yesterday morning, my almost 4 years old Swift took longer time to start. Since then, every time I crank the engine, It is taking longer than usual.
Is it the sign of battery getting too old and asking for replacement?
I read in last few comments on this thread that, for few folks, battery has served them for more than 6 years. So, how long I can hang on to this battery?
Six years is often an outlier; four years is actually pretty decent for a battery.

If you want to be absolutely sure, get the battery checked at a battery shop. You can either push the battery till it struggles to crank or get it proactively changed.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 14:43   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Six years is often an outlier; four years is actually pretty decent for a battery.

If you want to be absolutely sure, get the battery checked at a battery shop. You can either push the battery till it struggles to crank or get it proactively changed.
I have a highway trip planned in coming Feb, so it seems I have to get it changed before that.
Any suggestions on which brand to go for?
Old 28th December 2017, 16:32   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
I have a highway trip planned in coming Feb, so it seems I have to get it changed before that.
Any suggestions on which brand to go for?
Exide or Amaraon. People may bash Exide, but it has lasted 6 years 3 months once and 5 years 2 months next on my WagonR, though the stock Exide that came with the car lasted 4 years 2 months.

The stock Amaron in my Fiesta lasted 5 years 3 months, and the replacement the exact period.

The lowest battery life was for 3 years 2 months on my diesel Figo. It was of Motorcraft brand--used by Ford nowadays.

Last edited by vnabhi : 28th December 2017 at 16:34.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 14:14   #880
Senior - BHPian

I recently changed the battery on my i-DTEC Honda City. Battery had completed about 3 years and 11 months. During the recent service the Honda Service guy mentioned that the Battery requires a change - asked him to leave it as is and got it changed myself via CarBatteryExpert.com site. I chose Amaron over Exide as Amaron was lesser priced of the two.

My Battery change experience is already logged here: URL
Old 3rd January 2018, 15:39   #881
BHPian

A Bosch Silver battery lasted slightly over 5 years on my Ford Ikon 1.6 nxt. Got it changed to Ford's Motocraft recently as I couldn't find authorized sellers for Bosch. I must say I also waited till it became too late to actually search in depth.
Old 31st January 2018, 09:18   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
I had to get a new battery, Amaron Flo 66 Ah, for my Vento 1.6 TDI. The earlier battery ended up loosing charge, and jump starting the car got me throughout the day. However, the battery failed to crank the engine in the evening and it had to be jump started again. Using the car for a while did not work this time around, and it seemed it did not charge this time around. Tried this a third time, after jump starting with no positive results.

This battery lasted for about 70,000 kms over 3 years of time. The factory fit battery lasted for about 50,000 kms over 4 years.

The new battery cost me Rs. 4600, after deducting the cost of the old VW Varta 61 Ah battery. Surprisingly, it was manufactured in July 2017.
How did you decide which battery to buy ? I am looking out one for 4.5 years Vento and not being able to decide.
Old 31st January 2018, 09:52   #883
BHPian

I recently changed battery of my 2007 model Indica Xeta GLX petrol. The existing battery was 2012 Aug make (Amaron 545 DIN 48 months warranty) and it still had life but cranking got longer. It served a good 5 year and half period maybe due to my regular maintenance. I used to disconnect the battery when car is idle for more than a week. Filled up distilled water at every service. Overall very happy with Amaron products.

Since I am intending to sell the car, I didn't want the weak battery to be a sore point in the deal, so changed the battery to a higher capacity Amaron 550 DIN with 48 months warranty.
Old 31st January 2018, 09:55   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldsouza View Post
How did you decide which battery to buy ? I am looking out one for 4.5 years Vento and not being able to decide.
I did not want to buy a battery from VW again. Most likely they are locally manufactured Exide India batteries now a days.

I looked in the aftermarket, and Amaron seemed good. I also read some reviews online about different batteries. There seemed to be issues with Exide about the warranty claims, which were rejected for some people citing that battery needed to be checked every 6 months, or something along those lines.
Old 13th February 2018, 22:28   #885
Distinguished - BHPian

OE DIN50 battery (Exide) on my 2014 Nissan Sunny (D) lasted for a little less than 4 years and 50k on odo. For past few months I could sense the delay in cranking and one fine day (after leaving the car idle for a week) it failed to fire the engine.
Got it replaced with same spec Exide from a local dealer a week back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks