Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2016, 09:57   #766
BHPian

Re: Car battery life - How long did your battery last?

Ford Service center told me to replace my battery as it could *die* anytime when I gave it for servicing in July 2016. Today, its still running. No symptoms of it dying so far (no cranking issues, no blinking lights or indicators or dimming horn sound etc). Its been 5 years plus (car was bought in April 2011). Should I be worried? Mine is a petrol with all OEM fittings - car stereo, no additional accessories other than a Lighter charger in the car.
Old 26th September 2016, 10:31   #767
BHPian

Replaced 4.5 years old OEM exide batter on my Ritz vdi with a amaron Flo . Paid 4600 after exchange of old battery and discount. The old one haven't fully given up but to be on safe side replaced with amaron
Old 4th October 2016, 08:05   #768
Senior - BHPian

Well, looks like the battery on the Jetta lasts forever. Its been 5 years since we bought it and the battery hasn't even should signs of dieing. Isn't this great? Never has the battery troubled once despite the car being idle for some weeks to months. Any Jetta owners (Old & New) here who haven't replaced thier battery yet ?
Old 4th October 2016, 10:50   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Ford Service center told me to replace my battery as it could *die* anytime when I gave it for servicing in July 2016. Today, its still running. No symptoms of it dying so far (no cranking issues, no blinking lights or indicators or dimming horn sound etc). Its been 5 years plus (car was bought in April 2011). Should I be worried? Mine is a petrol with all OEM fittings - car stereo, no additional accessories other than a Lighter charger in the car.
A battery normally does not just die, it gives warning for quite some time. That said in rare cases I have seen a battery die without any warning, but as I said it is very rare. I suggest that you keep using the battery till it starts having problems cranking the engine.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 13:38   #770
BHPian

My honda city-III rd Gen, OEM Amaron battery is still strong nearly 6 years, Keeping fingers crossed. Till date not replaced even the remote battery for the car.
Old 12th October 2016, 13:45   #771
Senior - BHPian

Over 7 years and counting in a Gypsy bought new in 2009. Car still starts as when new.
Old 12th October 2016, 13:58   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
A battery normally does not just die, it gives warning for quite some time. That said in rare cases I have seen a battery die without any warning, but as I said it is very rare. I suggest that you keep using the battery till it starts having problems cranking the engine.
Similar situation with my Nissan Sunny Diesel - ~4.5 years old and close to 40k on the odo. When the car was with the A.S.S in Aug, they said battery had to be replaced. However I had not till then, and between then and now, (touchwood) had a single indication of dying, including the signals mentioned by gtonsing. Continuing to drive the car and hope all is well !
aroonanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 08:17   #773
Senior - BHPian

Replaced the OEM battery on my Figo Petrol. It lasted for 6.2 years.
It had health which was still in green, however replaced it since I didn't want to get stranded.
Replaced with Motor kraft itself.
Old 16th October 2016, 13:49   #774
BANNED

Today i changed my Battery for F10D Waggy, after Usage of almost 6 Years + 6 Months.
Please note, Car was still starting fine with old battery, but had concerns that it might conk off when in times of need in Middle of nowhere.
Original Make: SF Sonic.
Replacement: Amaron Go (18 Months replacement + 18 Months Pro-Rata Warranty)
Damage: 3K with exchange of old battery.
Bought through Batterywale, through amaron website.
Old 16th October 2016, 19:42   #775
BHPian

In my Honda City Ivtec the exide battery lasted for 5 years. My earlier city ,The 2001 OHC , the standard furukawa battery lasted for almost six years. I Only Had to charge it once as i did not use the car for over two months. Otherwise these batteries last long.
I have always wondered why don't car manufacturers install two batteries in cars. One for powering up essentials and one for all the other gimmicks. I am sure the weight overall would hardly make a difference.
Old 16th October 2016, 20:03   #776
BHPian

Approximately 8 years OEM battery (I forget, was it Exide??) in my Santro.

5+years, still running on the OEM battery in my Swift. About 2 years back, I had accidentally left the cabin light ON in the garage for a long duration, resulting in a near complete discharge of the battery. The engine would not crank.
I had almost decided to go for a replacement, but as a long shot, got it recharged from the MASS, and thankfully is still running fine.
Old 18th October 2016, 11:40   #777
BHPian

Car: Maruti Suzuki Ritz Zxi
Registration Month & Year: Jan 2010
Engine: 1.2L K12B Petrol
Stock Battery : Exide 38B20RMF
Battery Manufacturing Date: December 2009
Service Life: 6 Years & 10 Months

Replaced with: Amaron Hi-Life Pro AAM-PR-00050B20R
Warranty: 30 Months Free of Cost + 30 Months Pro Rata
Cost: Rs3,600/- with old battery buy back
Vendor: BatteryBhai.com
Local Vendor Quote: Rs.3750/- with old battery buy back

So, the stock battery bid farewell after almost 7 years of service. I was aware that the battery was nearing its end life and the trusted machine did not let down even when the battery was dying. The battery was found dead during a routine inspection when the car was parked properly in the garage. Ordered replacement battery from BatteryBhai.com and installation has been scheduled.
Old 28th October 2016, 12:19   #778
BHPian

Replaced my Figo's OEM Motocraft battery yesterday after 5 year & 5 months. Was facing the cranking issue (delayed start) over a month but with winters hitting Delhi, had to get push start done couple of times this week.

Replaced the battery with SF Sonic 44Ah one. It costed 3500 rupees with replacement. Comes with 2+2 years warranty where last 2 years have pro-rata wise replacement cost on MRP (though dealer has verbally agreed to do it on dealer cost basis if needed). Battery also has a color based indicator (green, white and red) to show charge state of the battery.

Amaron was costing 3300 rupees (2+2 years warranty) but reason for not going with it was that +2 years of additional warranty has only flat 15% discount on new battery MRP as compared to pro-rate based discount (starting 50%) in SF-Sonic.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:09   #779
Distinguished - BHPian

I gave my car for service last week and asked to check the battery condition too. I was told that modern MF battery can't be checked. And it might have a "heart-attack" anytime without prior warnings. Is it true?

My car battery is OE fitting and is 5 yr 5 months old. I haven't faced any hiccup till now even when I left the car idle for 11-12 days last month. I don't believe in fixing something that ain't broken. At the same time, a stitch in time saves nine. So if indeed the battery can fail without warning, I would replace it proactively right now. Any suggestions?
Old 9th November 2016, 10:24   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
And it might have a "heart-attack" anytime without prior warnings. Is it true?
It can fail all of a sudden but you would have noticed delays in cranking or failure to crank when ac is on and your car stalls at a signal. These are things happened to me this year on both my cars and both cars failed to crank one day. However, i was able to purchase a battery within an hour for my qualis and if you are prepared then you should be okay. I called justdial and found a dealer who delivered within the hour. However for my other car, I went with batterybhai and they were marginally cheaper than a local store.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks