Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2016, 18:42   #751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car battery life - How long did your battery last?

An update on OEM battery of our Swift, which we sold to a friend. It lasted for almost 6 years. It was still working when the friend replaced it a few months ago. But there were definite signs of weakness, hence he chose to replace it as a precautionary measure.
Old 8th September 2016, 19:04   #752
Senior - BHPian

I recently changed my Linea's 3.5 year old Exide 55DIN to a Tata Green 60DIN (basically I fell for some Japanese Technology story Link ), but I'd totally recommend Amaron over TATA Green, because Amaron has a wide network & any warranty replacement will be easy. Whereas finding a dealer of Tata Green batteries will be a task in itself !

I'd say if the OEM battery lasts 4 years, then it has done its duty. Any signs of ageing thereafter shouldn't be ignored. My Nano is running on stock Exide battery since 2010 August. Starts in 1 crank, No signs of death (Yet, so *touchwood*). It only has a basic after market music system. I want to know if the long life could be due to simple electrical circuit (say like my case where there are no power-windows, no A/c blower & not even a cigarette lighter)? Also, could it be that newer / non-OEM batteries come with Built-In Obsolescence!?
Old 9th September 2016, 10:14   #753
BHPian

OEM Exide one from Hyundai lasted for less than 4 years (3 years and 8 months approx to be precise). Changed it to Amaron. Hope it lasts atleast 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I want to know if the long life could be due to simple electrical circuit[/u] (say like my case where there are no power-windows, no A/c blower & not even a cigarette lighter)? Also, could it be that newer / non-OEM batteries come with Built-In Obsolescence!?
My personal thought is that the electricals do somewhat play a role in battery life. When they are not there, you cant use it. I say this because, numerous times I have seen people use power windows/blowers/cigarette lighter chargers for mobile when the engine is not running. Not matter how good a better, it will surely get affected to some extent IMHO
Old 10th September 2016, 00:09   #754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Yes, My OE battery was Amaron make and served us well. If your car is cranking hesitantly, you should replace immediately, lest it give u unceremoniously!

Amaron has 4 types of batteries for Wagon R, differing on the warranty offered. Pls choose wisely depending on how long you wish to keep the car.
The problem is whenever I feel the battery is going to give up, it just doesn't. And I have been thinking so since past December. I haven't been able to replicate the 'hesitant' situation in the past 5-6 days. If I don't get any more symptoms, I will change before the winter falls as batteries are prone to failure in winter.

Thanks for the tips on Amaron models. I had checked yesterday and plan to go for the 48 months model. I see myself holding on to the car for 2-3 years and there is a 175 INR. difference between the 36 and 48 month models.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 13:47   #755

AC Delco on my Chevy "Skylar" Cruze took its last few breaths yesterday after 3 years and 2 months of faultless performance. I guess I should feel satisfied that Delco lasted this long notwithstanding several references by members on older posts to sub-par lifespan and possible manufacturing issues. I was considering Amaron but was informed by the Workshop Manager that Amaron does not make a 80DIN battery for Cruze. Options would be to bump it down to 74DIN model or bump it up 100DIN model or of course go for Exide. So I call up one of the larger battery retails in my city and was pleasantly surprised to learn that Amaron has recently (Aug) launched a 80DIN model and apparently this is not known fact across Workshops. So, there aresome apprehensions all around. I will visiting the retailer today and if the new battery is indeed as per specs, I will run with Amaron.
Old 16th September 2016, 14:59   #756
BANNED

The OEM batteries of a Diesel vehicle usually last for about 4years. The highest life I got on my car is for about 5.3yrs after the OEM was replaced by Amaron on my Manza. Before Manza on my Indigo, the OEM Exide lasted for 4years and 2 months after which I replaced it with a Amaron and used it for another 2yrs 10mts before selling it to my friend, and he changed the battery after using the car for about 3.2yrs taking the life of the battery to almost 6years. There was still some juice left in the battery but the cranking was taking a bit long and hence changed it.
Old 16th September 2016, 15:28   #757
Senior - BHPian

The OEM battery in my diesel Skoda Rapid diesel (April 2012) gave up in July 2016 after 4.3 years. I don't recall the brand.
Replaced it with an Amaron Flo 60ah for about Rs.5150 from Battery bhai.
Old 16th September 2016, 15:56   #758
BHPian

My Micra active XL's Exide battery is almost giving up after 16 months ? Its been giving problems since the last few days so took the car to Nissan A.S.S in kolkata, Chandrani Nissan(Service standards, lets not even talk about it). They checked, was told battery needs to be replaced. They are handing me a Sonic MF because they dont have Exide in stock and after 50% depreciation,so I still need to pay up 2.1k (Not to mention that the entire process is going to take 5 days)

This is pretty frustrating, considering I have never had to change an OE battery so early.For the record, the car's done 10,600 on the ODO.
Old 16th September 2016, 22:01   #759
Senior - BHPian

Re: OEM car battery life - How long did your OE battery last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
My Feb 2009 Safari came with Dec 08 manufactured Amaron...
9 years plus, Amaron is still holding on. I am undecided should I change it before my upcoming long ride in October?

-BJ
Old 19th September 2016, 12:05   #760
BHPian

My Volkswagen Polo 1.2(P) OE battery is dead now. 6 years and 2 months since I purchased the vehicle.
Its Exide battery.

Now someone has suggested Hella battery. New in Market, will try.
Old 19th September 2016, 12:09   #761
BHPian

My Ford Figo battery is showing signs of a slow death. I very rarely honk, unless its for cautioning sleepy fellows on the road. Now the horn wont go off if I try it for 4 continuous beeps, or lets just say it would only work for first 3 instances. My odo is at 30k - what are my choices? It was the OEM battery, never have had to charge it.

Should I first get it tested?
Old 19th September 2016, 12:41   #762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
My Ford Figo battery is showing signs of a slow death. I very rarely honk, unless its for cautioning sleepy fellows on the road. Now the horn wont go off if I try it for 4 continuous beeps, or lets just say it would only work for first 3 instances. My odo is at 30k - what are my choices? It was the OEM battery, never have had to charge it.

Should I first get it tested?
The very first signs of battery dying can be felt/seen during starting of car, use of high power consuming elements such as headlight, etc. Horn doesn't consume so much power in comparison. I assume you use it while the engine is running and these are stock horns. The horn won't have such an impact on the battery. The symptoms mentioned by you look like a horn issue, please check the connections of the horn before replacing the battery.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 11:28   #763
Senior - BHPian

Am I pushing my luck with the stock battery? My car is still running on the original factory Exide battery that is now close to 58 months. I am not facing any problems during cranking, etc. The electrical load is generally low on my car. 95% of my driving is mostly during day so the lights aren't used, the stereo is sparingly used. The aircon is used all the time though. The car runs close to 30km daily.
Old 21st September 2016, 12:16   #764
Senior - BHPian

I recently changes the OEM Motocraft battery on my Ford Figo TDCi after 4.5 yrs. It still could have lasted few months but didnt want to take risk since my wife is the primary user of the car. Replaced with Amaron Hi FLO 4 yr warranty one. Bought it from battery bhai with old battery exchanged and final price was 3899/-. Very prompt service from battery bhai and literally got a call within 30mins.

Similar warranty OEM battery from Ford was ~6K.
Old 22nd September 2016, 00:12   #765
BHPian

My stock Exide battery on Nissan Micra lasted for a little over 2 years and around 42-43000 kms. At the end of its life, quite a number of times the car refused to start from standstill. Once the car ran for around 3 kms in the early morning to pick up my relatives but after reaching their place it didn't start at all. We had to call a mechanic from a nearby garage and he jump started the engine. We took the car to A.S.S. and they did some tests and declared the battery had reached its end of life. So we replaced it with a similar rated Amaron having 3 years warranty as the same rating from Exide was unavailable. The battery costed us 4500 approx as the shop gave an exchange value of 900 for the old one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks