Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2018, 22:24   #331
BANNED

Re: What was the average life of your car's brake pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Hello to everyone. I have a 2014 Verna which has run for 64000 kms and is still on stock brake pads. During the last service the service executive advised against changing the pads saying they were still good but i wasnt convinced so took these pictures during the wheel alignment and balancing. Kindly advise after taking a look at the pictures as to the condition of the brake pads as i feel the bite has reduced since some time
The pads looks okay from the pictures but if you are still worried about it, i would recommend at least getting the pads out and inspecting them. For a 60k run car, the replacement would be expected soon i think especially for the front ones. That would give a better idea. Any garage could remove and inspect it for you. 5 min job.
Old 29th October 2018, 16:47   #332
BHPian

Last set of my swift front brake pads lasted for 60K kms. Changed at a FNG with original MGP and the labor charge was 250Rs. At MAS, it was 350+taxes.

My Figo pads lasted around 80K kms and labor charge at Authorized Service center was 800 INR.

Both Ford and Maruti Original spare costs around the same 1500+ INR

Last edited by blorebuddy : 29th October 2018 at 16:48.
Old 19th November 2018, 17:51   #333
BHPian

Would be replacing all 4 brake pads on my Altis. Which ones to go for?
Old 10th December 2018, 22:21   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
My Vento (DSG) brake pads + discs lasted a little above 50,000 kms. And the service advisor encouraged me to use them for additional 8-10k more, however the deteriorating bite forced me to replace them.
I would think this was a decent run given the auto tranny, made possible mostly due to my preference for cruising to the extent possible.
I own the same vehicle a diesel one and had to change the pads at 30K and now at 45K service, my service advisor mentioned the existing one would do another 5K, so I'll be consuming two pads by 50K Kms

Cheers
Old 11th December 2018, 12:12   #335
Senior - BHPian

I used to change my Santro Zip drive's brake pads after 30k-Km intervals. I used to use my Santro extensively for long drives like Gujarat to HP thrice in a year. A properly functioning braking system is a must for Mountain driving.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 12:52   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Would be replacing all 4 brake pads on my Altis. Which ones to go for?
Choose between Bosch, Textar, Delphi or Brembo. My car is currently using a Bosch set on all 4 wheels that I purchased at Amazon India. Factory fitted parts were also supplied by Bosch.

All 4 rotors were also changed for optimum performance. I cannot discern a brake performance difference between these aftermarket Bosch parts and the previous set.

If you fit new pads make sure to bed them in carefully regardless of whether you have fitted new rotors/discs.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 12:05   #337
Senior - BHPian

My Baleno is at 99,650kms and while the OE disc pads are still good (as per my mechanic), I am thinking of changing them. I have a set of Ceradrive brake pads that were bought by Ignite Garage, Chennai few years ago (I had wrongly assumed that the braking sound was due to worn out disc pads & asked them to buy - the actual problem was the rear drum brake lining).

Anyone has any idea how the Ceradrive braka pads are in terms of quality ?
My mechanic says they are not good (not from experience, but from the look of the pads), but a real user experience would be good to have. Thanks.
Old 13th December 2018, 16:54   #338
BHPian

I've been changing the ones on my Passat anywhere between 45-55K kilometers. The last set of pads i bought were crappy so replaced them at around 5k kilometers with Bremboes. The car is doing good since then.
Old 13th December 2018, 17:13   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

2016 Mercedes C220d: Rear brake pads were done and dusted in approx. 10Kkm, including a fair amount of cruising driving on the highways!

In comparison, the S-Cross is going strong at 26Kkm, my Laura had 30-35Kkm intervals! Quite shocking, but then again - these are amongst the more confidence inspiring brakes I have used in a while!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 02:11   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
My Baleno is at 99,650kms and while the OE disc pads are still good (as per my mechanic), I am thinking of changing them. I have a set of Ceradrive brake pads that were bought by Ignite Garage, Chennai few years ago....Anyone has any idea how the Ceradrive braka pads are in terms of quality ?
With the odometer just 30kms shy of hitting 1-lakh kms (can't wait to snap that magic moment), I went ahead and changed the disc brake pads today. My mechanic (& friend) was, as mentioned earlier, sceptic about the quality of Ceradrive pads, but I decided to go ahead with it.

This is how the OE disc pads look after running for 1-lakh kms. Still quite some life left in them. And to think that MASS said they need to be replaced at the 30000km / 3rd-year service.
What was the average life of your car's brake pads?-mybalenobrakepadsat1lakhkms.jpg
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 15:24   #341
BHPian

My Volvo V40 Cross country (being Driven in EU) just had break pads changed at 78k. It could have lasted a couple of months more, but since the car was at service center for getting winter tires on, the job was combined.
Old 14th January 2019, 11:16   #342
BHPian

Hi All,

Apologies for going slightly off topic here. I wasn't able to find a relevant thread, so I'm posting my question here. Mods: please feel free to move it wherever you deem fit.

My car clocked 26.6k kms on the weekend when the front brakes started squeaking and gurgling. I figure it's time to change the brake pads.

I found this pair of Bosche pads ( Link ) priced at Rs. 900.

The pricing seems too good to be true. Other brands like TRW, Delphi, and even Hyundai OEM are Rs. 1,800-2,500, at least.

I checked other online sites and the prices say the same story. Safe to say that the pads being offered are genuine Bosche.

With such a large price difference - I'm wondering what's the story with these pads. Do they burn out faster? Are they made of a different / inferior material? My car comes with ABS - are these incompatible with ABS?

Has anyone tried these out? What's your feedback?

Would also love to hear from the experts. What's your opinion?

Last edited by sidpunjabi : 14th January 2019 at 11:17.
Old 14th January 2019, 16:48   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
I found this pair of Bosche pads With such a large price difference - I'm wondering what's the story with these pads. Do they burn out faster? Are they made of a different / inferior material? My car comes with ABS - are these incompatible with ABS? Has anyone tried these out? What's your feedback? What's your opinion?
ABS system or not doesn't matter. I bought a set of front and rear pads for my car in 2017 and 2018. Not the same part #s as the ones you need but Bosch aftermarket pads nevertheless. They were fitted in June '18.

What I like:
  • Brake pads are genuine Bosch India aftermarket parts
  • Price - These cost me approx Rs 1600/set for the front and approx 950 for the rear. As a comparison OEMs also made by Bosch are about 7500 and 6500 respectively IIRC excl. GST. And if purchased from and fitted by the dealer it would have cost me approx Rs 19-20K including GST and fitting/labour. I was quoted comparable prices for Delphi parts while Textar and Brembo were about 2.5-3x more. I went with Bosch pads because of the price and the fact that my car's braking system is also made by Bosch.
  • Acceptable levels of braking performance. They are near or at OEM level in my highway and city driving tests.

What I didn't like:
  • No hardware kit i.e. the brake carrier clips are missing. You need to reuse the old ones assuming they are in good shape. Plus no brake grease. Brake grease is different from caliper grease. The latter is rubber friendly. OEM pad kit comes with new caliper hardware and required grease(s)
  • Lots of brake dust but thankfully they are not asbestos based products. Besides the OEM rear brake pad were generating nearabout an equal amount of dust when used. The front pads were less 'dusty'
  • As with any other brake pad or rotor Proper bedding in is important for best performance.
  • They will leave marks on the rotors which could cause vibrations when braking. I didn't experience vibrations but they did leave light marks on the rotor, primarily friction material. You can use emery/sand paper to scrape them off. If this happens it means the pads require more bedding in cycles i.e. heating and cooling cycles.
  • Brake fade effect is a little higher. Can be an issue depending on your driving/braking style and on hill roads.

I assume the friction material used for all Bosch aftermarket pads is the same. To bed in my brand new brake pads (and rotor discs) I did about 15 cycles of 60 kmph to 20 kmph without coming to a halt, lots of city driving cycles, then followed by 10 cycles of 120 kmph to 30 kmph on the highway. Always giving sufficient time for the brake pads/rotors to cool down before starting the next cycle. Otherwise you risk warping them. YMMV of course. The pads perform best when a little warmed up. These probably follow the 'sticktion' principle i.e. friction plus stickiness between material on pad and rotor.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th January 2019 at 16:50.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 21:11   #344
Senior - BHPian

My 2013 Verna CRDi SX(O) lasted 80k for the front, 90k for the rear - both had some life left, maybe 10k more according my garage. But I think running close to 100k on one pair is history for me, my current drive is XUV5OO, and the ESP is know to eat the pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Good to see that your ride matches your handle again, bro!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 13:16   #345
BHPian

@R2D2:

Thanks. That's a lot of good info. Just a few more questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
As a comparison OEMs also made by Bosch are about 7500 and 6500 respectively IIRC excl. GST.
So, here's my question exactly. What's the difference in the Rs. 1,600 pad you fitted and the Rs. 6,500-7,500 pad offered by the dealer? Especially, since they're both made by Bosch and both meant for the same car?

If they're of the same grade, then charging Rs. 6,500 - 7,500 for an otherwise Rs. 1,600 pad seems like a rip-off - even for the priciest ASS / dealer out there.

If the Rs. 6,500 and Rs. 1,600 pads are of a different grade - then what is the Rs. 1,600 pad missing that you would have probably found in the Rs. 6,500 grade pad?

Quote:
No hardware kit i.e. the brake carrier clips are missing. You need to reuse the old ones assuming they are in good shape. Plus no brake grease. Brake grease is different from caliper grease. The latter is rubber friendly. OEM pad kit comes with new caliper hardware and required grease(s)
After reading this, I asked the local mechanic too. They do have the required brake grease. I think he realized my anxiety over the phone and told me that it's a pretty standard job so he's got all the stuff.

Curious about the carrier clips you mentioned though. Is the change warranted every time the pads are changed? Or is it something done only if the old clips are worn out completely?

Quote:
They will leave marks on the rotors which could cause vibrations when braking. I didn't experience vibrations but they did leave light marks on the rotor, primarily friction material. You can use emery/sand paper to scrape them off. If this happens it means the pads require more bedding in cycles i.e. heating and cooling cycles.
I'm planning to get the rotors skimmed since the last few kms on the worn out pads left a few streaks on the otherwise new rotors. Will this require any modification to the brake bedding process that you mentioned?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks