Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2014, 16:50   #766
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Recurring and VERY irritating problem on the Laura. Typical faint rattling/vibrating sounds coming from around the rear seat/ boot area on even slightly less than perfect road surfaces. ( to describe the racket perfectly it sounds like the boot hasnt properly been shut causing it to vibrate but trust me it isnt that )

Even concrete surfaces dont quite cut it, the annoying vibration is relentless. Only on perfect tar surfaces is it silent. Iv also noticed that there is an odd drive when there is absolutely no rattle or disturbance but make no mistake 95% of the times its there to irritate.

Iv so far - stuck the rear reg plate in place with double sided tape & screws were anyways there, REMOVED the rear parcel tray and kept it in the boot as many told me that is the culprit , pulled the central armrest down and checked for vibrations around the hard plastic thats inside the arm-rest enclosure.

The dam racket JUST DOESNT GO ! Please help. Do i need to hammer the whole dam thing down ?
It must be the spare wheel or tool kit as santosh said. Hit the spare wheel sidewall with your palm, if you hear a rattle then put some cloths below the spare wheel, and secure it well. Also the jack in the took kit rattles, put a cloth around that and put it back into the styrofoam holder.
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:25   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
It must be the spare wheel or tool kit as santosh said. Hit the spare wheel sidewall with your palm, if you hear a rattle then put some cloths below the spare wheel, and secure it well. Also the jack in the took kit rattles, put a cloth around that and put it back into the styrofoam holder.
Yep will check.
Old 29th September 2014, 11:52   #768
BHPian

<Disk rusting issue>
I don't have a covered parking so I keep my TSI outside. Over the last week there were heavy rains here & I could see water logging for few hrs like 6-7" maybe(1/4 wheel was in water) & I didn't drive for 3 days. Though I kept cleaning the car with shampoo, especially the wheels.

On the 4th day I could clearly see rust on the discs which went away (almost) after driving some 30Kms in city.

Also I think I can hear the pads grinding while driving... surprisingly they didn't carry out a change at Vinayak earlier this month during the annual service. Do you think the pads are out?

This morning after the car being stationary for just 1.5 days there is rust on the disks again... I had bought the car for weekend use only.
What is the cause & solution? was it a mistake to buy the TSI w/o covered parking?
Any pointers will be appreciated.
thx.

Last edited by raihan : 29th September 2014 at 11:57.
Old 29th September 2014, 12:01   #769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
<Disk rusting issue>
Rust on brake disks is pretty normal. Nothing to worry about. Happens on all the cars, it will get removed on its own whenever you drive the car for the first time again.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 19:53   #770
BHPian

Got this yellow warning light on the instrument cluster today. I hope it's just a lamp warning cause my right front fog light has stopped working and nothing serious. With the 2nd service due in a month, I plan to get it sorted then. But please let me know if this is something else so that I can rush to the service station for assessment. Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412173274.979294.jpg

Another thing, I enabled Cornerning lights and a few more light related features using the VCDS cable a few weeks back. Would it void warranty?
Old 1st October 2014, 19:56   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
Got this yellow warning light on the instrument cluster today. I hope it's just a lamp warning cause my right front fog light has stopped working and nothing serious. With the 2nd service due in a month, I plan to get it sorted then. But please let me know if this is something else so that I can rush to the service station for assessment. Attachment 1294890

Another thing, I enabled Cornerning lights and a few more light related features using the VCDS cable a few weeks back. Would it void warranty?
It is a bulb out warning. Nothing major as you mentioned a bulb is not working in your car. You will have to replace the bulb and the error would disappear.

VCDS mods ( or rather enabling features) does not void warranty.
Old 5th October 2014, 11:27   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Got this yellow warning light on the instrument cluster today. I hope it's just a lamp warning cause my right front fog light has stopped working and nothing serious. With the 2nd service due in a month, I plan to get it sorted then. But please let me know if this is something else so that I can rush to the service station for assessment. Attachment 1294890

So I called Giriraj Motors Gurgaon today to ask for an estimate about the bulb. I was quoted the following -
Bulb - Rs 500/-
Labour - Rs 200/-
Diagnostic Scanning Rs 2500/-
Time required - 2 - 2.5 hrs

I asked if the scanning was required, the SA replied that it would depend on the error

I asked that my Car is still under the 2 year Skoda Warranty, would I still have to make payments for the scanning and bulb change? After all, the car has only run 13,500 Km and will complete 2 years only in Nov this year.

Reply - Diagnostic scanning is your choice, but we will have to do it if the error does not disappear. Bulb cost and labour would have to be paid by the customer

Ok, so Rs 700/- was something that I expected for a bulb change (after reading all the Skoda threads), but I was not ready to pay Rs 2500/- for a scan. It should be done free of cost, specially when the car is in warranty. Plus a scan does not consume any parts. I then decided to check how customer friendly Skoda really is now? Specially after hearing positives in recent discussions. So I went ahead and called the Skoda Toll Free number to see what they can do. I also mentioned that I was also not ready to pay Rs 700 for changing a bulb. I have been told that someone will contact me in the next 48 hrs.

Lets see how it goes

Just 6 months back, I got the following replaced under warranty-
1> Driver side power window mechanism, as it would bounce back even when there was no obstruction
2> The same fog lamp housing because of water droplets appearing inside the lense. The previous housing was found to be cracked after removing

for #2 I had to call Skoda India to have it processed as Giriraj Motors was not ready to replace it under warranty. The catch here is, they did not give me a receipt and stated that Skoda India is yet to reply on this warranty claim to them and they have used a part which was ordered for some other customer. I knew it was just a bahana and decided to accept that because my problem was being resolved. I was also told that I can collect the receipt when I come for service in Nov. Lets hope they stick to their words

Otherwise, it is a wonderful car to drive. The pickup is mind blowing. The gear shifts are so precise. and the suspension soaks up bad roads. You do the occasional thud on large pot holes. Its a drivers car, and after driving an Amby, Indica, City ZX I feel I am driving no less than the German trio

Mine is a MT. My dad preferred a MT over the AT, reason - He said: This is not my age to learn driving again
Old 13th October 2014, 22:51   #773
BHPian

Posting on behalf of my friend... he is having a Skoda Laura TDI 1.9 Ambiente MT (2008 Model)...

Last week while driving his car, glow plug indicator light started flashing. After switching it off and restarting the engine again it went off. This has repeated 3~4 times.

Since last 2 days it's permanently flashing, even after multiple restarts.
Any suggestions!?
Old 8th November 2014, 01:29   #774
BHPian

Today while driving I noticed the battery sign lit up, after 5kms the car dies down within 50 mts from my house(luckily) with the following lights on the console.
It wouldn't crank on turning the key.
I suspect a dead battery, it's the original one made in 2010. One cell cap seemed whitish in colour others were black.[ A note on the battery said if the cell cap is clear then battery must be replaced]
If it's the battery which is a recommended brand/type?

Any inputs will be appreciated.
thx.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-photo1.jpg  

Old 9th November 2014, 10:12   #775
BHPian

My car is a 2011 March Laura tsi ambience version under extended warranty till Mar 2015. All services have been carried out officially, I have been servicing it every 10k kms so the 5th service is due at 50k kms, currently the odo reads *45k kms.*

Last weekend I was driving in stop /go traffic, suddenly the car started jerking and stalled, started her up again, moved another 50 meters and the same thing happened, this time she refused to start, so pushed the car to a safe place and left it there for the night (friends petrol pump).*

Next morning called the service centre (autobahn) and explained the problem, they said the car would have to be towed to the service centre. It took about 2 hours for the flatbed to arrive. When it tried starting the car in the morning noticed the EPC warning light, ABS traction light, and the fuel gauge would rise to the fuel level at the startup and then drop to empty 10 seconds later.*

So the flatbed finally arrived and the car left for the service centre. They inspected the car and said they would get back to me by end of day with a detailed report and estimate. I was really worried about the warranty status as I have an aftermarket HU (pioneer f60bt) along with component speakers, 4 channel amp, mono amp, Sub woofer. From what I've heard Skoda just needs a reason not to honour warranty and give the customer the short end of the stick.*

So the ASS performed the following.*

Fuel gauge replacement*
Fuel pump replacement*
Abs wheel speed sensor (rear right)*
Canister cleaning and servicing*
Vas system check
Fluids top up (wind shield washer, oil 200ml)
Car cleaning /washing*

Here is the best part. The car reached the service centre at 11.30 am on a Monday, it was ready at 5.30 pm the following day, the total cost of everything : zero (0). This is the first time I have ever received a 0 bill from any ASS, they always find something to charge you for.*

The car is back to brand new, everything is working fine, I wonder if I just got lucky or skoda has finally realised that keeping customers happy is key to driving sales.
R.P.M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 10:37   #776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Today while driving I noticed the battery sign lit up, after 5kms the car dies down within 50 mts from my house(luckily) with the following lights on the console.
It wouldn't crank on turning the key.
I suspect a dead battery, it's the original one made in 2010. One cell cap seemed whitish in colour others were black.[ A note on the battery said if the cell cap is clear then battery must be replaced]
If it's the battery which is a recommended brand/type?
Whenever the battery goes weak none of the indicators light up, its only when when there is a problem in charging the battery due to some other issue the battery warning lights pop up. I suspect some other issue. Anyways get it inspected from Battery shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M View Post
Here is the best part. The car reached the service centre at 11.30 am on a Monday, it was ready at 5.30 pm the following day, the total cost of everything : zero (0). This is the first time I have ever received a 0 bill from any ASS, they always find something to charge you for.*

The car is back to brand new, everything is working fine, I wonder if I just got lucky or skoda has finally realised that keeping customers happy is key to driving sales.
Isn't the bill supposed to be Zero whenever a car visits for warranty repair? Well, Yes for other brand cars i have owned, not sure for Skoda/VW. This is surprising for fellow Skoda car owners, especially the ones from Gurgaon who have to visit Giriraj Auto. Even for no job done, they are always ready with excuses to charge us (if Skoda India Customer Care is not involved in that repair)!

From my previous mistakes i suggest whenever a Skoda car goes for any major warranty repair, just call Skoda India customer care and ask them to clarify on the expected charges for repair under warranty.

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th November 2014 at 15:25.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 12:20   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I called Giriraj Motors Gurgaon today to ask for an estimate about the bulb. I was quoted the following -
Bulb - Rs 500/-
Labour - Rs 200/-
Diagnostic Scanning Rs 2500/-
Time required - 2 - 2.5 hrs
Can't you change the bulb yourself and check ? 700 for a bulb change is HORRENDOUS.

Not to mention the 2500 is worse than a Somali Pirate kidnapping you in Mogadishu and asking for ransom.
Old 9th November 2014, 13:53   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Can't you change the bulb yourself and check ? 700 for a bulb change is HORRENDOUS.

Not to mention the 2500 is worse than a Somali Pirate kidnapping you in Mogadishu and asking for ransom.
Yes it could have been changed for a lesser cost. But I did not want to take any risk of Skoda/Giriraj Motors making this as an excuse to nullify my warranty

I got the bulb changed for ~Rs 800 + ~Rs 11K for 2nd service

I was offered an engine flush. I laughed and said that are you seriously recommending a flush on a car that has just run 13000 Km and politely refused

During my visit I was told that my model has a recall for AC compressor valve and that it is a warranty job and will take around 4 days.

Anyone else got his info? Mine is a 2012 Laura

I will give the car for this recall around Jan so that I have enough time to run my AC after the repair to validate that everything is working perfectly after the repair

I was also told that to replace the valve they would have to take out almost half of the front end of my car :(
Old 9th November 2014, 14:34   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Whenever the battery goes weak none of the indicators light up, its only when when there is a problem in charging the battery due to some other issue the battery warning lights pop up. I suspect some other issue. Anyways get it inspected from Battery shop.
Anshuman it was indeed the battery, thankfully!(as it's among the least expensive critical parts of a skoda ) even the P.S had disabled during the last 1 Km & the laura felt like a lorry to steer...

I got in touch with Santosh Bhatt offline & he also suspected a dead battery, plus the note marked on the battery also indicated a failed cell.

I changed to Amaron Pro 74 Ah(from batt bhai) for 7,500 under exchange & she roared back to life, none of the warning lights are present now.

Took a 40+Kms test drive too

Last edited by raihan : 9th November 2014 at 14:41.
raihan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 01:27   #780
BHPian

Hi All,
I have been facing a weird problem with my 2011 Laura Ambiente TDI MT. Details are as below:

1. I get a smell of dust everytime I switch off the A/C and left the blower run.

2. Skoda ASS have confirmed presence of dust smell and have done everything within their capacity - including replacing the cooling coil as part of warranty. However, the problem still remains.

3. More recently, have faced situations where the A/C doesn't seem to be cooling at times (even though the A/C switch stays lighted up). I got the evaporator sprayed with water as per suggestion of a local mechanic - which seems to have worked maybe. I have not been facing this issue since the cooling coil cleaning.

Questions I had:
1. For the dust smell thingy, Giriraj Skoda has come back saying that this is happening because the pollen filter has NOT been changed for more than 1.5 yrs - whereas Skoda recommends changing that every year.

Is this really true? I really doubt this recommendation - but wanted to get your thoughts.

2. The A/C erratic cooling issue - Has anyone faced this problem? Also - what do you think might be going on? I am not able to explain how washing the evaporator could really fix this issue of A/C cooling intermittently.

Thanks much,
Sanju

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks