Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 14:58   #1021
BANNED

Fuel Filter Recos:

Just checked the manual - recommended change 40,000km/24 months.
Old 30th September 2010, 00:59   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Shuvc faced this issue and got it fixed. Same was the case with me. It was disheartening to experience that on a new car, but thankfully it seems to have been comprehensively fixed.

The service advisor told me that they just cleaned the vents and air passages. The problem didn't re-appear over the past 27 days/900-odd kms.
It's back in my car. This and the intermittent dash rattles are the only mood dampners in an otherwise wonderful ownership experience.
Old 30th September 2010, 10:31   #1023
Senior - BHPian

Vasoo, Shuvc - do you have any reasons to believe rats have access to your cars?

Why I have asked is, when I did my dash removal for fixing up the ac vent blockage and cleaning the AC, we found lots of evidence of their movement inside. The entry is through the engine bay, where they have a 6x6 inch opening for the external air intake. Somewhere in the thread I have posted that.

May be, may not be - but have a look. I was shocked as my cars are parked at decent covered places, and this was a revelation of sorts.
Old 30th September 2010, 11:10   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Vasoo, Shuvc - do you have any reasons to believe rats have access to your cars?
While I don't face the smell issue now I'm a bit worried because I'm using a basement parking slot (very little people activity unlike in the road level lot) and there's a stormwater drain right in front of the slot!

In my case at least the service advisor didn't mention any rat activity during the 1st service. I think air tends to get trapped somewhere and goes stale overnight (proximity to other chemical/fluid containers in the engine bay or something).

Of course, this is just guesswork because it seems like only a few of us, and not all, so far have experienced this problem?

Regards,
spadix
Old 30th September 2010, 11:38   #1025
BANNED

@spadix: I know this is difficult. One suggestion I have is that occasionally (at least when you are parking the car for a few days), switch off the compressor, and run he blower full blast for a few minutes. I doubt whether switching in the heating (set a high temperature) will help since then the air goes through a different route.

This should dry out the coils.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:25   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@spadix: I know this is difficult. One suggestion I have is that occasionally (at least when you are parking the car for a few days), switch off the compressor, and run he blower full blast for a few minutes. I doubt whether switching in the heating (set a high temperature) will help since then the air goes through a different route.

Thanks for the suggestion, Professor! As of now I don't experience the bad odour, but this is a good preventive maintenance measure which won't hurt.

Regards,
spadix
Old 30th September 2010, 12:57   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

I tried this once. For around 5 minutes with the temperature set to 'hi'. No noticeable difference. Maybe I should try it for a few consecutive days.

Oh and no rat problem.
Old 30th September 2010, 16:52   #1028
BHPian

Accident and Repair

Last Friday I was going to market with my wife and Kid and near Spice mall noida towards atta market I was waiting on a red light and suddenly bang a big sound came from behind, My wife screamed and immediately my son started crying, I checked them immediately and came out of the car seeing on a ikon hitting my car from behind, I was furious on the driver, but to my surprise the driver came outside and very calmly told me that he is extremely sorry and please don’t worry he will take care of everything whatever cost will come.....
some of the crowd gathered tried to shower their intelligence and told that "Aisa to hota rahta hai aap insurance claim kar lijiye and difference yeh bhai sahab de denge", I quickly told that wise man to keep outside and I can handle this on my own and dont try to team me insurance and all.
I asked that man to come with me to Honda showroom and he agreed, He finished his work in atta I waited in his car and then we went to sector 63 Pearl Honda. Service advisor told following.
1. Bumper would be replaced
2. Back panel can be repaired but not sure
3. The base plate where the Stepny is placed had a dent it will be repaired,
4. Dickey had dent on upper part and on the section just above bumper, it will be repaired and repainted.

Total cost was 33000 including all.
I have a NCB since last 6 years so I am having 50% as NCB so the calculation was if i take insurance the Cost to pocket would be

10000 as repair and 15000 as NCB loss = 25000.

Without insurance claim it is 33000

I had to explain that person about NCB and the manager also explained which he understood and offered me a final amount as 20K and after thinking for a min. I said ok.
Now the best part comes.
After the 5K discount the person insisted for a drink in lemon twist noida sector 63 telling me that today is a bad day and he being a defense employee want to celebrate this to make it a good day
After telling him that it is absolutely not necessary he still insisted and we went to lemon twist where we drink for 2 hours.

Now some facts
He is a Major In Indian Army
He is just back from J&K
Received Gallantry award from president of India in January
Chosen by UN for a mission in Congo for one year, was going to atta to courier his stuff to Congo.

He told that there are black spots in army as well and there are officers who would not have offerd a single penny in the same incident but if he would have done like this then for life long I would have a bad image for his organization.... this was the best line I heard that evening.

We had detail chat about lot of things and in the end the evening was good and we said goodby on a good note.
Today I received my car back from Pearl honda and the total expense was 19791 INR as I ask him to repair whatever possible and they repaired the back panel which would have costed 6500 + labour + taxes rest everything was done as it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img00025201009281023.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img00026201009291801.jpg  

Last edited by lalitk25 : 30th September 2010 at 17:02.
Old 30th September 2010, 23:11   #1029
Distinguished - BHPian

How bad was the bumper damaged? Bumpers are easily repaired with heat treatment and/or putty filler, after repainting it looks just like new.
Old 1st October 2010, 01:47   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Nice read lalit. You seem to have met a rare breed, a true man of honour. Really put a smile on my face at 1.30 in the nite.

Had driven my Civic through a lot of water last week in Bangalore when it literally poured like mad. Have a funny smell inside the car now. Cleaned up the front grill. It had paper, clothes, plastic.. whatnot. Probably need to leave it out in the sun to dry and try the blower trick as well.
Old 1st October 2010, 09:27   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
How bad was the bumper damaged? Bumpers are easily repaired with heat treatment and/or putty filler, after repainting it looks just like new.
Almost all locks from right were damaged. Also it was broken near dicky so alignment would have been a problem.
Thata why opted for a new one.
Old 1st October 2010, 09:29   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Nice read lalit. You seem to have met a rare breed, a true man of honour. Really put a smile on my face at 1.30 in the nite.

Had driven my Civic through a lot of water last week in Bangalore when it literally poured like mad. Have a funny smell inside the car now. Cleaned up the front grill. It had paper, clothes, plastic.. whatnot. Probably need to leave it out in the sun to dry and try the blower trick as well.
He was indeed a real man of honour and no one in my office believe me that this has happened
Old 1st October 2010, 10:56   #1033
BANNED

All kudos the the gentleman - there are so few left in our country!
Old 1st October 2010, 12:38   #1034
BHPian

I read in this thread that civic spark plug is iridium and the change interval is 100,000 kms or 10 years. Is it the case for a 2006 civic as well ?
Old 1st October 2010, 12:59   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
He told that there are black spots in army as well and there are officers who would not have offerd a single penny in the same incident but if he would have done like this then for life long I would have a bad image for his organization.... this was the best line I heard that evening.
Seems to be a gem of a person, as can be made out from his achievements.

20k is a huge wallop to the wallet, whoever bears it. I'm glad that your car is back in shape (that's the second picture, right?).

Regards,
spadix

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks