Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 23:45   #2476
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
You may be quite right about purity, spadix. I usually go with normal unleaded fuel without any additives, this time I just wanted to give it a shot! And I felt 1.8 litre vtec motor isn't that much performance oriented, more so to justify the use of 97 Octane fuel!
Sorry being OT Rohit but whats the retail of 97 these days in delhi..?
Old 14th October 2011, 09:58   #2477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Sorry being OT Rohit but whats the retail of 97 these days in delhi..?
Hey Gaurav, Speed 97 goes for INR 80/litre.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 10:00   #2478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Fantastic achievement.Can you elaborate a bit more on the load and speeds during the trip? Did you drive during the day,Was it with/without A/C?Very impressive that you manage this mileage on the 2-Laned ECR.
Cheers.
I maintained constant speeds between 75-80 kmph throughout. It was during the day and had 3 adults and 2 children in the car with no luggage in the boot. The AC was on all the time. I wouldn't call this a difficult feat to achieve as the traffic was pretty lean on ECR at that time. This has actually motivated me now to bump up the number next time around.
rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 15:52   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I maintained constant speeds between 75-80 kmph throughout. It was during the day and had 3 adults and 2 children in the car with no luggage in the boot. The AC was on all the time. I wouldn't call this a difficult feat to achieve as the traffic was pretty lean on ECR at that time. This has actually motivated me now to bump up the number next time around.
She gave me a staggering 26.9 KMPL (Oil was changed recently) today (day time run) without A/C and 2 people + lots of luggage.The figure is as per the trip meter over 150 KM distance.How reliable is the reading from Trip meter? I will also check and post the mileage after filling up the tank.

But I must admit that it was a super boring feat driving at those speeds for a long time.

Cheers.
Old 15th October 2011, 17:10   #2480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Those who drive automatics, how many of you have tried the "sporty automatic" option in the S mode? Many of you may not be aware of it. The trick is to shift the lever to S mode and not touch the paddle shifts. The effect will be similar to D mode, but with "automatic" shifts to upper(1>2, 2>3, 3>4) gears at much higher RPMs than in D mode. The moment you use the paddle shifts, it will go "manual" mode and from then on you have to use paddles to shift up. To bring back to the "Auto S" mode you have to shift back to D and then to S again. It's a pretty interesting drive even though it may consume more fuel.
Agreed! I do this many times when driving on highways. I rarely use the paddle shift since this form of S mode keeps me engaged enough - the rpm easily goes upto red line if you kick down in this mode. On a comparable drive the fuel consumption is about 20 - 25% higher. The car stays at around 1500 +/- 500 rpm higher than the D mode if my observation is right. The pick up is noticeably higher though I do not have 0-100 timings or 40-100 timings. Should be fun to note down the timing sometime.

Last edited by idofsuresh : 15th October 2011 at 17:16.
idofsuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 23:35   #2481
BHPian

Can anyone please let me know a good place in Bangalore to buy after market fog lamps for the pre-facelift Civic ? The original Honda fogs seem to be too expensive. Prefer an after market one. Thanks.
Old 19th October 2011, 11:54   #2482
BHPian

A quick question on Fuel Gauge on my Civic as I did not quite get the previous explanation on the number of bars fuel left in my car.

Car's capacity is 50 litres, total 20 bars. And the booklet says 7.5 litres in reserves. Can someone explain, how to read this? If each bar is for approx. 2 litres than reserve should be 10 litres, isnt it? And does reserve consumption starts with the last bar, that is the red area's one and only bar, or when there are no bars?
Old 19th October 2011, 12:19   #2483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
A quick question on Fuel Gauge on my Civic as I did not quite get the previous explanation on the number of bars fuel left in my car.

Car's capacity is 50 litres, total 20 bars. And the booklet says 7.5 litres in reserves. Can someone explain, how to read this? If each bar is for approx. 2 litres than reserve should be 10 litres, isnt it? And does reserve consumption starts with the last bar, that is the red area's one and only bar, or when there are no bars?
I have consistently seen that when the warning light appears, I have about 10 litres of gas inside.

The bars do not convey much information - this is my observation. On many a occasion, I have reached the pump after the last bar vanishes from the screen - only to find that I have four more litres to spare (tank gets full at 50 - 4, i.e., at 46 litres).

So, the thumb rule that I use is that as soon as the warning light appears, I know that I have another 100 kms to drive inside the city (approx.) before I hit the bottom ofthe tank. In a NH, it could be more.

Last edited by Tempelhof : 19th October 2011 at 12:20.
Old 19th October 2011, 12:28   #2484
BHPian

Thanks Tempelhof, but sometimes the light comes with 2 bars still there, something with a single bar and then without bars. There cannot be this much variation between no bars and 2 bars, if the tank has about 10 litres specifically. What I have worked out is that 20 bars x 2 lts = 40 lts. and 7.5 to 10 litres with no bar. I filled 43 litres today as soon as there were no bars.
Old 19th October 2011, 12:32   #2485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
Thanks Tempelhof, but sometimes the light comes with 2 bars still there, something with a single bar and then without bars. There cannot be this much variation between no bars and 2 bars, if the tank has about 10 litres specifically. What I have worked out is that 20 bars x 2 lts = 40 lts. and 7.5 to 10 litres with no bar. I filled 43 litres today as soon as there were no bars.
Which means there are significant variations from one equipment to another (even within Civic) - so much for six sigma!!

Need others' experiences on this.
Old 19th October 2011, 12:56   #2486
Senior - BHPian

The low fuel light in my Civic comes on always when there are two bars left and on Sunday I filled 41 litres brim full to round off the amount.
Old 19th October 2011, 14:10   #2487
Senior - BHPian

The low fuel warning lamp comes on with two bars in the display. I normally fill immediately, and my observation was based on many instances 38.xx litres at auto cutoff and something above 40litres by topping it up.
Old 19th October 2011, 14:24   #2488
dot
Senior - BHPian

My observation is that the bar movement in the fuel gauge is not linear. Movement in the 3/4 and 1/4 area is faster than at full and empty positions. In my Scorpo, sometimes the 5th bar (from empty) stays on for a long time and it quickly moves to 3rd. During different fuel cycles, 5th to 4th is fast, then the 4th bar stays on for a significant period of time, finally dropping to 3rd. 3rd position also stays on for a long time (actually time = distance, LOL).

I think road elevation and dips also plays a role.

I normally refuel till full tank when the bar comes to 3rd position. Typically 33-34-35L goes in.

Last edited by dot : 19th October 2011 at 14:28.
Old 19th October 2011, 16:59   #2489
Senior - BHPian

I've found the fuel level bar in the Civic to be pretty consistent. Any variations I've seen could be explained away by the fact that car wasn't on strictly level ground.

I typically get around 400 to 430 kms of in-city (AC always on) driving between successive instances of the warning light coming on [1]. I reach the half-way stage (10 bars) after around 200 kms after topping up [2]. If anything, the bar count decreases a little slowly from this point until it reaches 3-4 bars. The drop gets just a little faster then.

The warning light comes on a few kms after the switch from 3 to 2 bars. Immediately at (i.e. within 5-10 kms of) that point, fuel to auto-cutoff is typically around 38.xx litres, indicating that there are ~12 litres of fuel left when the light comes on. Assuming a linear progression, that's just a little over 2 ltrs per bar [3].

On one occasion I've driven 60+ kms (sedately) on the yellow light, given the car in for service (where they idle it for long periods), gotten it back and it was still good to go to the nearest fuel station (~3 kms). So I would safely assume a range of 60 kms after the light comes on, with sedate driving.

I think there still are around 5 ltrs left in the tank with 0 bars lit up, which corroborates somewhat with [1], [2] and [3] above. Those points correspond to around 10 kmpl, and if I'm topping up every 400 to 430 kms with a 50-ltr tank, then there's at least 60-70 kms of range - if not more - still left after the light comes on.

My records/logs have each and every instance of the light coming on and the subsequent fuel logs. I could put them up for analysis if required.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 17:11   #2490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I typically get around 400 to 430 kms of in-city (AC always on) driving between successive instances of the warning light coming on [1]. I reach the half-way stage (10 bars) after around 200 kms after topping up [2]. If anything, the bar count decreases a little slowly from this point until it reaches 3-4 bars. The drop gets just a little faster then.
Exactly my inference too

Quote:
The warning light comes on a few kms after the switch from 3 to 2 bars. Immediately at (i.e. within 5-10 kms of) that point, fuel to auto-cutoff is typically around 38.xx litres,
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The low fuel warning lamp comes on with two bars in the display. I normally fill immediately, and my observation was based on many instances 38.xx litres at auto cutoff and something above 40litres by topping it up.
Our inference matches again

Quote:
On one occasion I've driven 60+ kms (sedately) on the yellow light, given the car in for service (where they idle it for long periods), gotten it back and it was still good to go to the nearest fuel station (~3 kms). So I would safely assume a range of 60 kms after the light comes on, with sedate driving.
Very much in agreement.

400-430Kms have been the norms for me too in city before the lights come on. On a very strange situation I had to push my Civvy to 90Kms after the lights were on. The assumption was I still have 12 litres in there with a range of 120 to 135Km based on Civvys mileage. When filled up in this instance she drank 47.xx litres - the highest fill she ever had. This is dangerous since you'll let the fuel pump dry and hot!

On three different instances I had taken her to 75KMs after warning lamp and the fill was 45.xx litres.

I would safely assume 60KMs, though I had pushed to 75Kms or even to 90Kms for the fuel pump to be happily submerged.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks