Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2012, 12:29   #3376
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
your looks at most 1-2 years old.
Thanks!
I keep my car closed with a cover whenever parked at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
The front bumper's dangerouly close to the ramp.The person in the pic ,is that you ?
No, I am in the driver's seat of course!

I expected at least some mild tap to my under-body but luckily came clean.
I had to do it slowly though.
I think laluks had also taken his car for this boat ride.
Old 27th May 2012, 18:45   #3377
BHPian

Hi All
Despite being an avid fan of team bhp, and one of the fresh owners of a pre-worshipped Honda civic, I’m not one the very regular visitors of this thread. Having said that, I’m really hoping to get the answer from all the fellow bhpians on my concerns below (else it’d be a real pain to scan all the pages to figure similar issues faced by others in pam st). I’ve been facing the following problems in my civic which is a 2006 s-mt model (that beloged to fellow bhpian Hiren Mistry, for those who know!):
1. The car has got a severe ‘thud’ sound coming from the front. Even the read suspension isn't that soft.The car had the spring coil adjusters (donuts) fitted by hiren. I’ve got the same removed to check if that reduces the problem. Its severity has gone down but its still nowhere close to a ‘normal feel’ that one would expect from a healthy suspension system.
2. The car’s hydraulic steering really shakes at 160+ speeds…reminds me of my old spark, which used to be stable till 120+! (carnation kurla has suggested a steering overhaul)
3. The clutch is hard…really hard! drove a brand new VW vento recently, and now am sure I’d want to get a replacement done if that can match a brand new one.
4. Squeaky doors, is there any permanent solution?
5. Have read a fellow bhpians trouble with corroded doors. I’m facing exactly the same problem (mechanics refer to it as car cancer!). what’s the ultimate remedy for it?
6. The Driver seat side’s rear magazine holder rack (plastic moulded part), comes off everytime! Read the same problem with fellow bhpians and am sure nobody has got a cure to it, replaceing the part costs a bomb, and almost a stupid thing to do with that kind of costing.
7. Gave the car to Solitaire Honda – andheri for a checkup, and had a miserable experience… The car was kept for two days, with no one calling up to confirm the service order. I’d given it specifically to get all the possible issues checked. After two days, I learnt that my car was driven 72 kms, (the actual distance is not more than 15 kms, between ghatkopar to andheri), and with nobody bothering to call. Finally this was their diagnosis (and no mention of the first two major issues in it!, please refer to the attached excel sheets!)

8. The diagnosis from carnation seems to be more elaborate, and addressing the key concerns, but so is their estimate of 54564.34 (please refer to the excel again!)
9. Please let me know if these are justifiable figures…
10. Also, is there any good mechanic in and around ghatkopar west, or powai? (I’ve been to Anto, but would appreciate if somebody can offer some more options, since he seems to be not too comfortable with a civic….that’s what has been my reading, nothing against the person!

thanks in advance!
regards
ameet.
(really hoping that mods will clear this!)
Attached Files
File Type: xls solitaire estimate civic.xls (14.5 KB, 827 views)
File Type: xls Carnation CIVIC.xls (23.5 KB, 439 views)
Old 28th May 2012, 00:00   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple_ameet View Post
Hi All

5. Have read a fellow bhpians trouble with corroded doors. I’m facing exactly the same problem (mechanics refer to it as car cancer!). what’s the ultimate remedy for it?
6. The Driver seat side’s rear magazine holder rack (plastic moulded part), comes off everytime!
For clutch overhaul be ready to pay 12000 - 18000.

Can you post some pictures, of the corroded door, for better understanding of the issues?

Last edited by skdking : 28th May 2012 at 00:03.
Old 28th May 2012, 00:13   #3379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
For clutch overhaul be ready to pay 12000 - 18000.

Can you post some pictures, of the corroded door, for better understanding of the issues?
hi skdking
would take a while to shoot, in the meanwhile here's the fellow bhpian's post, and mine is almost the same stage/condition of rust on the door :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-dos-216.html

thanks!
Old 28th May 2012, 01:03   #3380
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All
Despite being an avid fan of team bhp, and one of the fresh owners of a pre-worshipped Honda civic, I’m not one the very regular visitors of this thread. Having said that, I’m really hoping to get the answer from all the fellow bhpians on my concerns below (else it’d be a real pain to scan all the pages to figure similar issues faced by others in pam st). I’ve been facing the following problems in my civic which is a 2006 s-mt model (that beloged to fellow bhpian Hiren Mistry, for those who know!):
1. The car has got a severe ‘thud’ sound coming from the front. Even the read suspension isn't that soft.The car had the spring coil adjusters (donuts) fitted by hiren. I’ve got the same removed to check if that reduces the problem. Its severity has gone down but its still nowhere close to a ‘normal feel’ that one would expect from a healthy suspension system.
2. The car’s hydraulic steering really shakes at 160+ speeds…reminds me of my old spark, which used to be stable till 120+! (carnation kurla has suggested a steering overhaul)
3. The clutch is hard…really hard! drove a brand new VW vento recently, and now am sure I’d want to get a replacement done if that can match a brand new one.
6. The Driver seat side’s rear magazine holder rack (plastic moulded part), comes off everytime! Read the same problem with fellow bhpians and am sure nobody has got a cure to it, replaceing the part costs a bomb, and almost a stupid thing to do with that kind of costing.
7. Gave the car to Solitaire Honda – andheri for a checkup, and had a miserable experience… The car was kept for two days, with no one calling up to confirm the service order. I’d given it specifically to get all the possible issues checked. After two days, I learnt that my car was driven 72 kms, (the actual distance is not more than 15 kms, between ghatkopar to andheri), and with nobody bothering to call. Finally this was their diagnosis (and no mention of the first two major issues in it!, please refer to the attached excel sheets!)

8. The diagnosis from carnation seems to be more elaborate, and addressing the key concerns, but so is their estimate of 54564.34 (please refer to the excel again!)
10. Also, is there any good mechanic in and around ghatkopar west, or powai? (I’ve been to Anto, but would appreciate if somebody can offer some more options, since he seems to be not too comfortable with a civic….that’s what has been my reading, nothing against the person!

thanks in advance!
regards
ameet.

Hey

For the Thuding issue First replace the Hydraulic engine mount which is on the right side. When it fails or starts to go weak then the suspension starts going "thud thud thud thud" My civic is the same and am going for Mount change to Linkway Honda tomorrow.

For the steering vibrating issue at 160+ speed its nothing but wheel balancing problem which is max 500rs job dont Jump the gun and go for rack repairs as when rack goes bust first thing you will feel is heavy steering and PS fluid getting low steering heavyness to gauge is simple drive one handed and use the steering left to right for Half an hour if your hands or shoulder starts to show even little pain then rack might be issue uptill that point rack is not the cause at all.
Have got my rack OH hence saying.

And I simply cant buy the point that a car which has run 20-40k kms has busted front struts and strut kit Replace the Mount first and see World change difference in the suspension feel of civic.

For the clutch first try replacing the clutch fluid and doing bleeding 80% of the time it solves the problem but if problem is not solved even after that then you will have to do clutch replacement.

For the seat back just apply feviqucik mixed with little bit of dirt or "Rava (eatable stuff)" and apply the seat back stays properly without any issues.

And am not doing any kind off promotion of any Service centre or anything but in Mumbai I found Linkway the best for service and diagnosis When at Linkway use the SA Mr. Ganesh.Ghanekar or Mr.nitin.rai the best there.

For rack repair if needed Go to Pai Automobiles santacruz his rack repairer and the ones used by linkway Navnit and Autohanger is the same and he Overhauled my civics rack for 13k, and its been almost an year and 5k kms its working as it should be *touchwood*

And looking at Carnations quote the rate quoted for mount is very very low and i doubt genuineness of it. Strut conking off soo soon i still cant buy the point.

hope this helps

Jatin.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 11:18   #3381
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Am bothering you guys with a set of questions on the automatic transmission. The vehicle in question is a 2010 model.

1. What is the difference between S and D mode.
2. Ideally, when should we select an S or a D?
3. Is using paddle shift, just like that, bad for the transmission or other electronics? For eg, I use it at times to even check the gear at which the vehicle is in
4. Can the switch from D to S or vice versa done on the go?, like when the vehicle is in motion.

I searched our repository for most of these questions, and found that S mode is for keeping the gear up, entirely manual/till red line, and only 4 gears will be used.
But my SA adviced to use S and use paddle shift on highways for better mileage as its equivalent to manual.
But i couldnt find any difference with the mileage. And since paddle shift is possible in both D and S, the confusion is just aggrevated.

Can anyone kindly answer the doubts? OR any pointers for reading and understanding the above, will also help.
Old 28th May 2012, 11:21   #3382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Hey

For the Thuding issue First replace the Hydraulic engine mount which is on the right side. When it fails or starts to go weak then the suspension starts going "thud thud thud thud" My civic is the same and am going for Mount change to Linkway Honda tomorrow.

For the steering vibrating issue at 160+ speed its nothing but wheel balancing problem which is max 500rs job dont Jump the gun and go for rack repairs as when rack goes bust first thing you will feel is heavy steering and PS fluid getting low steering heavyness to gauge is simple drive one handed and use the steering left to right for Half an hour if your hands or shoulder starts to show even little pain then rack might be issue uptill that point rack is not the cause at all.
Have got my rack OH hence saying.

And I simply cant buy the point that a car which has run 20-40k kms has busted front struts and strut kit Replace the Mount first and see World change difference in the suspension feel of civic.

For the clutch first try replacing the clutch fluid and doing bleeding 80% of the time it solves the problem but if problem is not solved even after that then you will have to do clutch replacement.

For the seat back just apply feviqucik mixed with little bit of dirt or "Rava (eatable stuff)" and apply the seat back stays properly without any issues.

And am not doing any kind off promotion of any Service centre or anything but in Mumbai I found Linkway the best for service and diagnosis When at Linkway use the SA Mr. Ganesh.Ghanekar or Mr.nitin.rai the best there.

For rack repair if needed Go to Pai Automobiles santacruz his rack repairer and the ones used by linkway Navnit and Autohanger is the same and he Overhauled my civics rack for 13k, and its been almost an year and 5k kms its working as it should be *touchwood*

And looking at Carnations quote the rate quoted for mount is very very low and i doubt genuineness of it. Strut conking off soo soon i still cant buy the point.

hope this helps

Jatin.
Thanks for the help jatin. Can you please pm me your no.? if it's okay with you, i can drop in to linkway tomorrow too, so that you can also check my civic's steering issue, if that's exactly what you felt in your case before OH.
I never got the servicing done from carnation, but my overall perception is quite good about them (i sold my previous car to them, and it was a pleasant experience!). Having said that, if the cost is not exorbitant, my first preference will of course be the an authorized sc.
cheers!
Ameet.
Old 28th May 2012, 13:34   #3383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
1. What is the difference between S and D mode.
2. Ideally, when should we select an S or a D?
3. Is using paddle shift, just like that, bad for the transmission or other electronics? For eg, I use it at times to even check the gear at which the vehicle is in
4. Can the switch from D to S or vice versa done on the go?, like when the vehicle is in motion.
Here is a quick reply:
1. Read the owners-manual.
2. 'S' for 'rough' driving, till 170 kmph it holds 3rd gear.
3. In 5 years and 1+ lakh kms I have never felt the need for paddle-shifts except occasionally . 'D' does an wonderful job. I mainly use paddles in heavy traffic infested 2-lane highways when I have to constantly overtake and brake.
4. Yes, I think modern AT's like Civic has electronics to protect them so I don't think you can damage the transmission with the selector-lever. Has anyone tried putting into 'R' at say 100kmph?
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 13:54   #3384
BANNED

@manim; you left out one critical point. In S mode you get engine braking, in D you do not. Absolutely , necessary for safety in the hills. For general traffic use D when you want performance or are in the hills select S.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 16:49   #3385
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All

thanks in advance!
regards
ameet.
@pineapple_ameet

I am the one who had the problem of rust on the doors. I was given a quote of 40k to 120 k by HASS. I decided to investigate it myself and opened the door panels myself and found that the problem was not as bad as it looked.
I presume you have access to good garages, I suggest that you get it checked by one. Rust is like cancer and cause serious problems.

As far as clutch problem goes there is enough number of civic owners who had this problem. @skdking is one of them. He spent 12k with very good results.

I suggest that you take it slow(not too slow) before you get all the work done.

Happy and safe driving.
Old 28th May 2012, 17:38   #3386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
@pineapple_ameet

I am the one who had the problem of rust on the doors. I was given a quote of 40k to 120 k by HASS. I decided to investigate it myself and opened the door panels myself and found that the problem was not as bad as it looked.
I presume you have access to good garages, I suggest that you get it checked by one. Rust is like cancer and cause serious problems.

As far as clutch problem goes there is enough number of civic owners who had this problem. @skdking is one of them. He spent 12k with very good results.

I suggest that you take it slow(not too slow) before you get all the work done.

Happy and safe driving.
Hi Highflyer

just came back from HASS. Got an estimate of 9689 for Engine mount. will get the vehicle tested more thoroughly tomorrow. The supervisor suggests that though the clutch is heavy, it will pose no problems as such on mileage or otherwise and so it will be a personal call to go for a complete assembly change. I think i'll take it slow

possible for you to explain how did you go about sorting the rusted door issue? i'm concerned about that, since monsoon is almost there!

cheers

Ameet.
Old 28th May 2012, 20:08   #3387
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Highflyer

just came back from HASS. Got an estimate of 9689 for Engine mount. will get the vehicle tested more thoroughly tomorrow. The supervisor suggests that though the clutch is heavy, it will pose no problems as such on mileage or otherwise and so it will be a personal call to go for a complete assembly change. I think i'll take it slow

possible for you to explain how did you go about sorting the rusted door issue? i'm concerned about that, since monsoon is almost there!

cheers

Ameet.
Hi pineapple_ameet

I have given all the details about this DIY activity few pages back on the same thread.I could do it only to one of the doors and had planned to undertake it on other doors on the subsequent weekends. But there is something called procrastination. That has ensured that that other weekend is yet to come.
If you get it checked at a good garage it would take lesser time and you would get an informed opinion. I suggest that till you do that ensure that the drain holes are clean and there is no blockage. You can use a thick wire for that.

I would also suggest to sort out the clutch problem since its all about the great driving experience of Civic. How would you differentiate between an Indica or a Civic?

Have you tried to lubricate the doors to prevent Squeaking ? Try and listen for the exact hinge which is making the sound. More often than not the problem is of a different dimension than that it appears to in the first look.

Last edited by Highflyer : 28th May 2012 at 20:14. Reason: To add content within a short time.
Old 28th May 2012, 20:17   #3388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
@manim; you left out one critical point. In S mode you get engine braking, in D you do not. Absolutely , necessary for safety in the hills. For general traffic use D when you want performance or are in the hills select S.
Our civics have grade logic control. It may not be optimal, but even on ghats, if driven reasonably, I get decent engine braking most of the time.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 20:50   #3389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In S mode you get engine braking, in D you do not. Absolutely , necessary for safety in the hills. For general traffic use D when you want performance or are in the hills select S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Our civics have grade logic control. It may not be optimal, but even on ghats, if driven reasonably, I get decent engine braking most of the time.
sgiitk, I have done hill-drives many times to Nilgiris (Ooty, Conoor) and have always done it in 'D'. No problems whatsoever.
Only when descending very steep slopes (not on the hill-highway but elsewhere) I had to use paddles to force 1st gear for engine braking (auto selected 2nd).

I am afraid to use 'S' on hills because I may accidently knock one of the paddles thus going into paddle-mode inadvertently rather than pure 'S' mode w/o paddles.
(mine is an older model and I think you can operate the paddles in 'D' mode itself in newer models). The reason is that the paddles rotate along with the steering on curves and doing a quick shift is difficult since I have to search for the paddles in the middle of a curve!, could be dangerous too.

I think in very-high-end cars the paddle does not rotate along with the steering for this purpose.

All said I find 'vanilla D' mode does an excellent job 99.99% of the time. It is as if the transmission logic has a telepathic connection with my mind! A tribute to the Honda engineers who programmed it.
Old 29th May 2012, 09:24   #3390
BANNED

Folks what bugs me (experience is a hard teacher) is that if you use the brakes a lot when descending, you risk overheating them and even losing them altogether. This had happened to me in the Alps ages ago, when I did not know the way to drive and AT. But as sandeep108 states, Grade Control covers this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks