Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2013, 13:42   #496
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post

I might be wrong but I feel that the Amaze should be compared with the Sx4 diesel instead of Dzire diesel if we go by Power and torque figures. Since Sx4 has 90 BHP and 200 NM of torque.

I wont be surprised if people choose this over Sx4 since you get more power at lesser price and boot is also not all that bad considering it is 400 Liters.

Only if Honda had given a few more features they could have crushed the competition.
It is a sub 4m car, basically a booted hatch, clearly it is a DZire Rival, SX4 is much bigger (though with lesser power in diesel!!) .
Market for the SX4 is pretty grim now. It is a bit dated and even right now, many people choose to go for an Etios or Sunny if they have a limited budget for C Segment sedan.
I believe most of us have no doubts in the fact that the Amaze belongs in the C1 Segment.
Old 21st March 2013, 13:51   #497
BHPian

Re: Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
It is a sub 4m car, basically a booted hatch, clearly it is a DZire Rival, SX4 is much bigger (though with lesser power in diesel!!) .
Market for the SX4 is pretty grim now. It is a bit dated and even right now, many people choose to go for an Etios or Sunny if they have a limited budget for C Segment sedan.
I believe most of us have no doubts in the fact that the Amaze belongs in the C1 Segment.
I know that in terms of length amaze can't compete with sx4 but i meant in terms of power the amaze can crush sx4 diesel because even though sx4 is only 10 HP less but the amaze is much lighter than sx4 which will make it like a rocket heck the power is equivalent to 1.6L TDI vento
Old 21st March 2013, 19:29   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Honda might as well shut down production of the City if the Amaze takes off.
Mate do you hear yourself? How can the production of City be shut down even if the Amaze takes off? They are different cars for a different set of customers. There is no way the Amaze will be shut down the production of the City.
Old 21st March 2013, 20:11   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak View Post
Scala / Sunny Diesel is 85 bhp / 200 NM / 22 kmpl ~ 8.1 lacs ex-delhi.
Fiesta Diesel is 90 bhp 200 NM / 23 kmpl ~ 9.3 l ex-delhi
Honda has a 1 segment up engine in my opinion on the Amaze. Poorer spec engines from Ford, Renault are selling at such a high price,
Let me rephrase "Poorer spec engines from Ford, Renault are NOT selling at such a high price".

And how can you comment Honda has 1 segment up engine. The one on Sunny has negligible lag. Fiesta's engine is highly refined.

And then engine is half the story. Sunny has acres of space. Fiesta has brilliant handling. The Amaze however does not amaze anybody. That is why it needs a VFM tag desperately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Could not agree more.
C1 - Dzire, Amaze, Sail, Fiesta Classic, Verito
C1.5 (controversial) - Linea, SX4, Sunny
C2 - Verna, Vento, Fiesta(Although the space & built quality probably should give it the C1.5 spot)
Old 21st March 2013, 20:36   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit_dce View Post

Mate do you hear yourself? How can the production of City be shut down even if the Amaze takes off? They are different cars for a different set of customers. There is no way the Amaze will be shut down the production of the City.
I was being sarcastic and joking. Yes they're different cars and production of the city will not be stopped, don't worry about that.
Old 21st March 2013, 20:56   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

Let me rephrase "Poorer spec engines from Ford, Renault are NOT selling at such a high price".

And how can you comment Honda has 1 segment up engine. The one on Sunny has negligible lag. Fiesta's engine is highly refined.

And then engine is half the story. Sunny has acres of space. Fiesta has brilliant handling. The Amaze however does not amaze anybody. That is why it needs a VFM tag desperately.
Oxyzen, respect your point of view. I'm a prospective buyer, not just opinionator. Have followed this car long through insiders in Honda. Agree with your point on Sunny spacewise, but the engine... driveable? I think only since the MJD is so poor in terms of driveability that in comparo Renault dCi seems better. And reliability, maintenance & spares are question marks for Nissan - hope you're aware of their start-stop button and diesel pump failures. Lower C poser, upper C wannabe, lands it nowhere. Fiesta is strictly lower C space and engine, yes with beyond upper C handling. But also pricing & desirability is awry too.

I'm looking for lower C package, upper C performance, lower C exterior footprint, upper C interior space, lower C pricing, upper C looks & desirability, lower C maintenance cost, upper C quality & reliability. So if rumours are to be believed, I've my money at the right spots... Amaze n EcoSport booked, will wait for EcoSport only if Amaze priced insanely high.
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:53   #502
BHPian

Just had a look at the Amaze at Pinnacle Honda in Kolkata. The car aesthetically looked good but somehow it kept on reminding me about Dzire. It has the same claustrophobic interiors and wafer thin build as in its competitor. It has all 4 power windows, body colored bumpers and AC, no electric ORVM in the base model. Ground clearance same as Brio at 165mm. The sales rep assumed the pricing would be INR 5.5 lakhs ex-showroom Kolkata for base model, and not sure about other packages (maintenance etc.). Tentative launch date 11th April, a week earlier than originally planned. As I have decided only to compare between petrol base models of Dzire, Amaze and Sail, the last one appeared to pack more in the base variant with the minimum price. Inside of both Dzire and Amaze seemed to offer only a fraction more on space than my present 2004 Alto. Dzire offers the worst package of all three in its LXi variant in terms of fitments. Amaze has tweaked the tuning of its 1.2l engine to 100PS to compensate for added weight compared to Brio, which seems a good idea. When it finally comes down to the performance we have to see how Sail does with 87PS and heavier kerb weight.
I tend to think the three cars have different potential customers in mind-while competition centers around Dzire for sheer volume that it sells everyday. But with new competition from competent cars, Dzire should and must do something about its base variant to keep it attractive. In fact MSIL marketing strategy is to skew the buyers paying Rs. 60000 more for VXi because LXi is basically stripped bare. My final opinion, in terms of needs of a small family living in a metro city Amaze looks and probably will drive good. But the winner in the base segment is clearly Sail with Dzire being a distant third.
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:40   #503
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak View Post
So if rumours are to be believed, I've my money at the right spots... Amaze n EcoSport booked
Good luck getting the money back after a cancellation. The dealers claim it to be no penalty, but will never give it back in under 3 months when you ask for it. The money is stuck with them for quite some time!!
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:18   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
Inside of both Dzire and Amaze seemed to offer only a fraction more on space than my present 2004 Alto.
Ohh well, we do have to remember that both are sub 4 meter at the end of the day The expectations from leg space, boot space etc should be from this perspective, IMO.

Although we have never seen any issues from the Honda stable with the initial iterations of any product so far, but does someone think that it would be better to wait a while so that the real world performance of the diesel engine is tested thoroughly?
Old 23rd March 2013, 00:04   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Although we have never seen any issues from the Honda stable with the initial iterations of any product so far, but does someone think that it would be better to wait a while so that the real world performance of the diesel engine is tested thoroughly?

But Honda will surely not bring in a product after testing it. So if you are in for a diesel sedan, why not go in for it and buy it? I agree to the fact that you should wait for the long term reports to come in, but if somebody wants to buy a car, then Honda makes for a safer bet eventhough they are the firstimers in this department.
rohit_dce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 00:42   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like Honda is going to come out all guns blazing to ensure the Amaze is a big success for them.

Here are a few offers the Japanese car major has lined up for the Amaze launch :-

- Quick service options to minimize time taken to service the car, presumably on the lines of Ford India's 90-minute “Quick Service” plan.

- Roadside assistance.

- A 2-year/40,000 kilometer maintenance package, to keep maintenance/running costs as low as possible.

- Extended warranty.

- Exchange offers to trade in your old car of any brand for a brand new Brio Amaze.

SOURCE - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/19005667.cms
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 01:45   #507
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Amaze has tweaked the tuning of its 1.2l engine to 100PS to compensate for added weight compared to Brio, which seems a good idea. When it finally comes down to the performance we have to see how Sail does with 87PS and heavier kerb weight..
A few points worth noting:

- Outright power isn't everything, especially when we're talking diesels. What matters more is the torque, and most importantly, the RPMs at which it peaks. Most cars produce peak power way after the engine is spinning fast enough to produce peak torque. And for 99% of the public, staying in the peak torque band is where the money is. By the time the engine is spinning fast enough to produce peak power, the torque begins to nose-dive. At this point, the engine begins to feel thrashy and you'd generally find yourself going a gear higher.

- The other point to consider is gearing. Well spaced-out gear ratios ensure good drivability. What's more important than a power figure or the kerb weight is drivability, IMO. I've driven the Chevy Sail hatch and I've go to say, I was impressed with the 'box. It had a wonderfully tractable 3rd cog, a relatively short 1st and a tall 5th. If the hatch is anything to go by, I'm assuming the sedan is more than half decent. The Swift has a nice 'engaging' 'box. The petrol Hondas I've owned / driven do throw up some niggles w/r/t the gearbox. 1st to 2nd isn't great and it does tend to feel notchy at times. The Amaze's 'box, hopefully, should be sorted.

Oh, and also..

- Don't go by sheer figures i.e. 165mm GC. The car's suspension and its ability to harness the weight of luggage / occupants matters more! Most Hondas are plagued with a problem wherein the suspension sags under moderate / heavy load thereby reducing the ground clearance even further. Although I reckon the Amaze should be OK given it has short overhangs and a short wheelbase.

suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 09:02   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Just had a look at the Amaze at Pinnacle Honda in Kolkata.
There were some reports about ABS in base variant of Amaze. If true, this factor should also be considered IMHO.
Old 23rd March 2013, 13:21   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
There were some reports about ABS in base variant of Amaze. If true, this factor should also be considered IMHO.
No ABS in base variant, confirmed.
Inquisitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 23:19   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Seems like Honda is going to come out all guns blazing to ensure the Amaze is a big success for them.

SOURCE - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/19005667.cms
Yes, this would surely help the Amaze's sales in a big way in the intial stages as its arch rival, Dzire is not available with any offers. And what is worth mentioning in the exchange offer right from the day 1 which will help a person upgrade.
rohit_dce is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks