Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2013, 23:55   #481
BHPian

Re: Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven

Sigh, more confusion on the next car purchase. Had just managed to shortlist it down to the Honda ANHC and Vento. Now this and a launch within the month (unlike the up-in-the-air messages about the Ford Ecosport). Time to sit on my hands and wait for the in-India reviews of the Amaze to start coming in
Old 20th March 2013, 01:49   #482
BHPian

If Amaze actualy comes out with these power and torque figures with 22.8 to 24 Km/L then the whole segment would see dwindling sales to the amaze. The power to weight ratio will be insane as compared to that of the Dzire. If these figures turn into reality i can think of only one sentence for Dzire Diesel
"BRACE FOR IMPACT!!"
Old 20th March 2013, 09:05   #483
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What's with the first update! Which diesel car in India has a 7000 rpm under 20L ??
He's just being sarcastic since this will be the first Honda engine in India that will not hit 7000rpm.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 09:07   #484
BANNED

Quote:
OD tweets 100 PS & 200 Nm torque! Not sure that is officially confirmed though!
Well, if this is true, the torque isn't as great as the Power, but still it should be more than adequate.
Old 20th March 2013, 09:24   #485
BHPian

We have to wait and see what level of de-tuning honda does to match up with the indian fuel conditions. So anything till the launch would be sheer speculation.
Old 20th March 2013, 10:01   #486
Senior - BHPian

It is indeed 100PS and 200Nm. The media drives are currently underway in Goa.

Expect Arai rating to be around 25kmpl !!

Honda definitely have a winner on their hands. It's all about the pricing now.
Old 20th March 2013, 10:09   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
It is indeed 100PS and 200Nm. The media drives are currently underway in Goa.

Expect Arai rating to be around 25kmpl !!

Honda definitely have a winner on their hands. It's all about the pricing now.
With these power, torque and mileage figures, there will surely be a good premium over Dzire, justifiably though. And then there is Honda badge.
Old 20th March 2013, 11:28   #488
BHPian

lol, Honda has done it's homework well! They have managed to build the right amount of excitement before the launch. They have also ensured a good amount of inventory before the launch.

What's up with 85 bhp or 100 bhp thing? Nobody says Dzire is underpowered @75bhp. It's more about drivability and roll on figures. The peak power is a matter of tune and shouldn't cost a hell lot of additional money. It's only a matter of strategy and positioning that a company choses to make it 85 or 90 or 99 bhp.

Now that amaze is well positioned, let's wait for the pricing to see whether Honda wants to make it a >10k p.m. car or lower. For a hint, if honda is choosing to give 100bhp but under 4m format, they are surely going to match dzire price and the excise savings should be going towards making it as pricier as a Dzire. (I think Dzire is a highly profitable product for Maruti)

Last edited by rock75 : 20th March 2013 at 11:31.
Old 20th March 2013, 11:44   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
He's just being sarcastic since this will be the first Honda engine in India that will not hit 7000rpm.
Ahh! Unlike their petrols which are high revving...makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Well, if this is true, the torque isn't as great as the Power, but still it should be more than adequate.
True, a ~220Nm torque would have been super. 200 is too close to the MJD (190) which produces 25 bhp less!!

Is there no relation between power & torque figures of engines? Like, if an engine makes x bhp, it will have for sure y Nm torque? Nothing like that?
Old 20th March 2013, 12:01   #490
BANNED

Quote:

True, a ~220Nm torque would have been super. 200 is too close to the MJD (190) which produces 25 bhp less!!

Is there no relation between power & torque figures of engines? Like, if an engine makes x bhp, it will have for sure y Nm torque? Nothing like that?
Exactly, I was comparing it to MJD 1.3.
There isn't a relation in true sense. The torque would depend on the force that the engine can apply (Power somewhat indicates this) and the distance from the centre of camshot from the point of application of the force. Longer the distance , more the torque. The distance will be more if Stroke of the engine is longer.
Would be interesting to check the stroke of the engine once the official specs come out. Right now, I am guessing the Honda guys have made it like a petrol engine i.e. with a shorter stroke than most diesel.
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 12:02   #491
BHPian

OffTopic:

If i remember right, there is a relation formula for Hp-Torque

HP=TxN/5252 (where T= torque and N= RPM). Also initial torque
is dependent on the flywheel weight as well. Heaver flywheels= more inertia, lighter flywheel= more free revving engine. Experts can comment on this.

On the topic:

100BHP is a good amount of power in this segment. But i wonder if honda has tuned the engine a little conservatively, considering fiat has a 1.3L block doing 90Bhp.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 20th March 2013 at 12:04.
Old 20th March 2013, 12:16   #492
Senior - BHPian

Higher peak power and a not so high peak torque would also mean that the car would be pretty linear in power delivery.
Power is the product of torque and rpm. So if there is higher peak power without a so high peak torque it would mean that the engine torque (although not humongous) does not trail off at higher rpms, resulting in a higher peak power.

For eg. a 75 bhp engine making 190 Nm of torque means that the power trails off considerably at higher rpms vis a vis a 100 bhp engine having similar torque figures.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 09:03   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
100 PS for this segment would be a new benchmark! Almost as good as the C2 Vento , Rapid etc.

But being a diesel, Torque would also be interesting to know, only then can we estimate real world power of this Honda.

100 PS and 200 NM are the official figures from Honda. Here's a link:

http://www.carblogindia.com/honda-amaze-india-details/

The car will have a power output as good as the cars in the higher segment to it and combined with a low kerb weight, it shall make for a great performer.
Old 21st March 2013, 12:16   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
If Amaze actualy comes out with these power and torque figures with 22.8 to 24 Km/L then the whole segment would see dwindling sales to the amaze. The power to weight ratio will be insane as compared to that of the Dzire. If these figures turn into reality i can think of only one sentence for Dzire Diesel
"BRACE FOR IMPACT!!"
Honda is an aspirational brand in India and the Amaze, if it really is as good as Honda is proclaiming, will be a nail in the coffin of the DZire. I personally know a few people just waiting for the Amaze to launch and not looking at any other car right now.

The thing to see now is how will Honda price it in relation to the City. The City has long been marketed as a premium (and aspirational) car in India. The Amaze is smaller than the city and will probably have less equipment too, but it's diesel. Honda might as well shut down production of the City if the Amaze takes off.

Last edited by sharninder : 21st March 2013 at 12:20. Reason: Added more info.
Old 21st March 2013, 12:25   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Honda is an aspirational brand in India and the Amaze, if it really is as good as Honda is proclaiming, will be a nail in the coffin of the DZire. I personally know a few people just waiting for the Amaze to launch and not looking at any other car right now.
I might be wrong but I feel that the Amaze should be compared with the Sx4 diesel instead of Dzire diesel if we go by Power and torque figures. Since Sx4 has 90 BHP and 200 NM of torque.

I wont be surprised if people choose this over Sx4 since you get more power at lesser price and boot is also not all that bad considering it is 400 Liters.

Only if Honda had given a few more features they could have crushed the competition.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks