Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2015, 19:54   #2431
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Look - if you want a great ride in a petrol vehicle go get a ford. A honda too - light and responsive steering but not the sort of sheer petrolhead kick a ford gives you.

Xcent has horribly jittery feeling steering or maybe that was just the demo car I'd tried.

If you stick to Honda, I'd just spend on a low end city instead of a fully loaded amaze, never mind the accessories, for a bit more than the price you're looking at.
Old 20th April 2015, 22:42   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_rana View Post
Please share you view on efficiency, maintenance, performance, OEM Stereo system & overall ownership experience. Will help in making up my mind.
If you fancy a feature rich car, or if you will mostly be using it for city driving, then go for the Xcent. But then, have you considered the Elite i20?

On paper, the engine specs for both cars are comparable. You will need to test drive both to determine which suits you. The strength of the petrol is the ivtec engine. Take it above 2-3k rpm and you will be smiling. Steering feel is reasonably good and braking is also good. Ideal for highway journeys. You can maintain early triple digit speeds confidently. Suspension is soft and you will feel the sideways movement on bumpy roads.

The build quality is not comparable to earlier gen Hondas, so don't go by the brand name. Expect a niggle or two to surface. Having said that, have not faced any major issues in 15k kms so far.

OEM stereo is poor. If you are even slightly serious about your music, you will need an upgrade.
Old 21st April 2015, 18:47   #2433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_stripes View Post
You can maintain early triple digit speeds confidently. Suspension is soft and you will feel the sideways movement on bumpy roads.
Oh lord - the roads in bangalore suburbs, especially the side roads google maps tries to route you through in areas like whitefield and sarjapur, potholes end to end, remind you of their soft suspension. All the time.

There's a governor or some sort that cuts off the engine at ~ 120 kmph in the petrol amaze at least

Build quality - loud squeaking noises from somewhere around the driver side mirror I think, whenever I go above 60 or so. Sigh.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:19   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

There's a governor or some sort that cuts off the engine at ~ 120 kmph in the petrol amaze at least
This could be with the Petrol Amaze.
I have driven the iDtec Amaze from Aurangabad to Mumbai(400+ Kms) with speeds in excess of 130 kmph(top speed achieved was 140 kmph).

Pls. note that I do not advocate driving in high speeds.
Also, the Amaze never felt very confident in speeds in excess of 120 kmph.
Old 24th April 2015, 15:23   #2435

Our car Honda Amaze Diesel MT iDtec - Tafeta White colour was purchased from Pinnacle Honda Anandapur Kolkata in November 2014.

During the last week of March 2015, the car needed a minor accident repair PLUS the 3rd free service, so we deposited the car to Pinnacle Honda Anandapur workshop on 01-April-2015.

After a long wait of about thirteen days, we received a call from your workshop to take delivery of the car on 14th April 2015, at 11AM.

When me and my wife arrived at your showroom at the given time, we got to know that the repairwork & scheduled 3rd free servicing has been completed, and "the car just needs a top-wash" before we can drive out with it. So we waited, after doing the necessary paperwork for the insurance papers and making the payments.

After this, it took more than 3.5 hours (including one hour of myself standing outside in the scorching summer sun) to get the car in "we-can-drive-out-now" condition.

Please allow me to elaborate:
1. The car was quite dirty when I first saw it at around 11:30AM - looking like neither it has been washed after the repairwork, nor has it been cleaned after the servicing.
a. I pointed out visible grease marks on the door inner polycarbonate panels and the grime at the footboards and recesses of all 4 doors.
b. Window glasses were not clean - had greasy hand stains.
c. Door outsides had greasy hand stains.

2. After the customary washing & cleaning when they put the car in the delivery parking bay, I noticed that points a, b, and c noted above have not yet been taken care of. I had to request again - and the cleaning technician was very polite enough to come & clean all the stains as I stood there.

3. At this point we were just getting in the car to drive out, when a striking flaw caught my eye. From front view - the edges of the two headlamps, bonnet and the bumper did not align properly with each other, and there were dissimilar panel gaps on the right and left sides. It was kind-of funny! On close examination, we noticed that all the fitment clips inside the bumper (which was new after the accident repair), were not fitted nicely. The whole assembly looked like a hurried job. We reported to the service desk immediately and requested for a feedback form so that we could file a complaint. Instead, the GM, a very nice gentleman, personally attended & accompanied us to the car and saw the problem for himself. He then re-called the technicians from the workshop to get the flaw corrected - all this while the car was parked outside at the delivery parking bay (near the Exit gate). It was already 3PM and the sun was high, and I had already spent more than an hour in the summer sun, getting the jobs done and running around. No different than what I would have needed to do at a Roadside Garage. After all this was completed, it was already 4PM when we could actually drive out .

Coming to feedback:
As a customer, we have come to Pinnacle Honda for buying/servicing our car - for the simple reason that this name represents the very respected brand - Honda.
It is Pinnacle Honda's duty to ensure that the client receives the impeccable standard of service expected from any Honda Showroom or Service Center across the country.
What I actually experienced, was a shoddy service, with sheer exhibition of collective carelessness, wilful negligence and lack of work-culture among the technicians who attended to my car. Even the quality of washing and cleaning was also a 6/10 to be generous.
At the time of delivery, if I can notice pretty visible faults in the fit-and-finish, why couldn't Pinnacle Honda trained technicians detect them?
If there were visible faults which I can see, can Pinnacle Honda promise that there are no invisible faults in workmanship that I CANNOT see as a layman?
When taking delivery from your showroom/workshop, is it my responsibility to ensure there are no problems in the car I am driving out with?
If any technician worth his Honda Badge did a pre-delivery inspection at the car, couldn't these lacunae been rectified before handing over the key to the customer?

As of today, after driving the car around for about ten days (about 1200 kms, with 2 Kolkata-Durgapur long trips and usual commute within Kolkata) we have observed the following two things:
a. Noticeably higher fuel consumption: before the 3rd free service the car returned 21kmpl on long drives and 18kmpl on short in-city trips, with always AC on. After the 3rd free service, we are getting 17.5kmpl to 18kmpl on long drives and 14kmpl - 15kmpl on short in-city trips, with always AC on.
b. We were told that in addition to routine changes of Engine Oil, the Air-Filter was replaced with a new one, as the old one didnlt have any life left. We are noticing lower engine noise - both outside and in-cabin - this is something we are happy about.
c. I have requested Pinnacle Honda to ask somebody really technically knowledgeable to look into the new-found problem regarding low mileage in my car

I just hope that my candid feedback would receive the due attention and might go on to help improve the service standards to *proper* Honda Standards. As a Team-BHP contributing member, it is my duty to report this experience to the Team-BHP community.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th April 2015 at 15:53.
Old 29th April 2015, 16:58   #2436
D4D
BHPian

Dear BHPians,
Does amaze scrape speed breakers when fully loaded(5 passengers+loaded boot)?
A relative wants to buy one to replace his Hyundai Santro.

TIA

Last edited by D4D : 29th April 2015 at 17:01.
Old 29th April 2015, 18:39   #2437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Dear BHPians,
Does amaze scrape speed breakers when fully loaded(5 passengers+loaded boot)?
A relative wants to buy one to replace his Hyundai Santro.

TIA
No it does not, on small to medium speed breakers.
shashant is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 09:46   #2438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
No it does not, on small to medium speed breakers.
Speedbreakers vary in size and height unfortunately. Amaze has decently high ground clearance though.
Old 30th April 2015, 10:01   #2439
Distinguished - BHPian

Last couple of days, been hearing a lot of Ad's from Whitefield Honda-Bangalore on the Amaze AT. When I was looking out for a car during late 2013, I had gone to look at the Amaze AT. At that time, there were no TD cars and the dealer was least interested in even taking a booking for an Amaze AT. Kept pushing the diesel. Now they are heavily advertising the AT.

What a difference a year makes...
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 11:24   #2440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
What a difference a year makes...
Launch of Zest with AMT and Celero , Awareness about AT has gone up.
Old 3rd May 2015, 01:51   #2441
BHPian

Any news of a facelift for the amaze? It's time for me to upgrade my swift and am considering the amaze.
Old 6th May 2015, 15:24   #2442

Hi Guys, I have a Honda Mobilio and I'm curious to know if any of you amazing folks have changed the front car seats to something more comfortable with head rests.
Do you guys think we can swap them out with the Honda City's for example?
Old 11th May 2015, 13:12   #2443
BHPian

Hi,

After much dilemma and assessment of various compact sedans available, yesterday I booked Honda Amaze S MT (petrol). All this while I was eagerly waiting for Ford Aspire but I had to get vehicle in this month only as I have to go Nainital, Jageshwar, Bhawali etc trip in 1st week of June or so.

Dzire seemed disproportionate with short boot. The back seat comfort was an important factor and though seats are cushy in Dzire, the space is as good or as bad as Swift.

Tata was never an option as they are not yet proven in petrol engine department. Moreover Revotron is 2 valve engine!

I had my sight on Xcent for weeks and they are offering decent discount too. But the biggest problem is with grabby brakes of Xcent which dealer always tried to push as a "strong brakes" feature. Press pedal an inch & vehicle drops anchors! Clearly there is some design / engineering problem. Also the car is quite narrow in back seat. Had to let it go with a heavy heart.

To me, Amaze petrol is a compromise. I bought it primarily because of the space and airiness that it offers (especially in rear). Whatever Honda says the SOHC 1.2 engine is not the best that they are offering. Even Xcent and Dzire have DOHC engine. As per my understanding, in case of Xcent the engine has variable timing on exhaust values too! Nonetheless I will live with what is available.

The delivery is expected by end of this week max. Rest keeping my fingers crossed on vehicle ownership & experience. The journey to Uttaranchal hills shall be real test of the vehicle. Let's see & wish me good luck

Thanks!

Last edited by ms_rana : 11th May 2015 at 13:14. Reason: grammatical corrections.
ms_rana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 13:28   #2444
Senior - BHPian

Uncle's Amaze D went for the 30k service.

30k oil service labor is around 1.3k.
Battery testing some 35 rupees.
Alignment, weights around 900 rupees.
Engine oil 1.9k.
oil filter 0.4k.

Now here's the (not so) funny part: they have added a 300 rupee for 'engine diagnostic check' or the equivalent wording. Which means they are plugging a OBD scanner even when there's no warning light glowing in the console.

Uncle supposedly asked them what they did in that. The SA replied that they are checking engine health and this 'test' will give engine health result in either of (excellent, good, ok, bad). And when the final bill came, there's no health chart attached. These SA chaps amuse us in no small measure.

The good news is that his brake pads are still stock and in good health.
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:35   #2445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderluster View Post
Any news of a facelift for the amaze? It's time for me to upgrade my swift and am considering the amaze.
Amaze has been launched with a mild facelift some few months back.

Very minor changes included an AVN in the top end and a change of the speedo console back light from amber to blue and white!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks