Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2013, 09:01   #61
BHPian

Those are some amazing mods! More details would be great. Did you just hav to change park assist control module and plug in the rcd or did it need wiring to the canbus? Did you buy the steering with the airbag or did you use the original airbag? Was the rcd 510 and straight swap or did it need a new fascia kit? Coding details would be great as well!

Last edited by vinj14 : 15th July 2013 at 09:07.
Old 15th July 2013, 13:25   #62
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!

Fantastic, Robi! The wait was worth in gold. This is what the TSi should look like internally. VW should actually look at your car and ensure that all Polo TSi's have an interior like yours. The moment I buy this car, you can be sure that I will call you (with the hope that you will not be annoyed) to help me mod mine. Your choices ooze class to say the least. Waiting in eager anticipation for your further mods.
Regarding the warranty on the car, does any of this void the warranty on the car? Also the safety features, especially the driver airbag- is it affected due to the change of the steering wheel?
Old 15th July 2013, 14:43   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
The Mod project for the Polo has taken off.

Live update from Cochin.

Flat bottom GTi steering with paddle shifts and the RCD510 system.
The paddle shifts are a joy to use and works like a charm in all the modes.
As for the system, the optical parking system integrated with the factory fitted rear sensors takes the rich feel of the interiors to another level.
Attachment 1110432

The armrest which I had got long back is a perfect fit and doesn't hamper the handbrake use in any way.
Attachment 1110433

A lot of other mods are coming up.

Just one word for the mods Robi. FANTABULOUS. Your car will put 20 lac plus cars to shame in terms of gadgetery and technology. If i buy the TSI, my first mod is going to be the paddle shift flat bottom steering wheel. If you dont mind, can you kindly share the cost of this mod. The Borbet rims look sweet as well. Cheers buddy
Old 15th July 2013, 15:04   #64
BHPian

Congrats on the awesome car!
I've been wanting this car since it was launched
Do post more pics and also reports on the mods being carried out on it.
Btw, where did you source the alloys from?
Old 16th July 2013, 01:32   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
Awesome. Where did you get this done from and how much did it cost you? Would love to get this done on my Polo. The chunky wheel and paddles would be awesome.
Any issues with the warranty?
Again, changing the HU didn't affect the warranty?
The mods were done with a help of a lot of people. Mainly Peter (Pete's), Sugesh (Vagtune.in), Himanshu (J&J Motorwerks) and of course bhpians azeemhafiz, speed_kills.
The warranty was pretty much out of the park the moment I had put an amplifier and component speakers. But the car is so much more fun now. Just to let you know, the VW dealership guys in cochin themselves have gone ahead and modded a GT Tsi (which I believe is owned by the dealership) to a crazy extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Super mods. Eagerly waiting for the rest of them.
P.S: Are they giving only one remote key?
Thanks, yes they are giving only one remote key with the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagust View Post
Where did you get the arm rest from?. I have been enquiring with the VW dealerships in Chennai, but no positive response at all.
Himanshu from J&J Motorwerks, Mumbai helped me get the armrest while Sugesh from vagtune.in fitted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Those are some amazing mods! More details would be great. Did you just hav to change park assist control module and plug in the rcd or did it need wiring to the canbus? Did you buy the steering with the airbag or did you use the original airbag? Was the rcd 510 and straight swap or did it need a new fascia kit? Coding details would be great as well!
Thanks Vinj. It was surprising all plug and play. The RCD 510 just needed an adapter, rest was a direct swap. No fascia kit required. As for the steering, I am using the original airbag. Peter (Pete's) said however that he had got some connectors changed before the steering was shipped from Europe. That's the reason why I am able to use the original airbag unit.
No coding was required for the steering or the RCD510.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nd3r50n View Post
Fantastic, Robi! The wait was worth in gold. This is what the TSi should look like internally. VW should actually look at your car and ensure that all Polo TSi's have an interior like yours. The moment I buy this car, you can be sure that I will call you (with the hope that you will not be annoyed) to help me mod mine. Your choices ooze class to say the least. Waiting in eager anticipation for your further mods.
Regarding the warranty on the car, does any of this void the warranty on the car? Also the safety features, especially the driver airbag- is it affected due to the change of the steering wheel?
Thanks a lot. I will definitely help you in however way I can in your mod plans. The airbag is not affected in any way as most of the parts are OEM but the VW guys are sure finicky when it comes to warranty. I still have a lot of support staff to help me out in case anything goes wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post
Just one word for the mods Robi. FANTABULOUS. Your car will put 20 lac plus cars to shame in terms of gadgetery and technology. If i buy the TSI, my first mod is going to be the paddle shift flat bottom steering wheel. If you dont mind, can you kindly share the cost of this mod. The Borbet rims look sweet as well. Cheers buddy
The GTi steering wheel with paddle shifters for the POLO 6R is one of the first few in India. So I got a really good deal on it. Peter (Pete's) sourced it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Congrats on the awesome car!
I've been wanting this car since it was launched
Do post more pics and also reports on the mods being carried out on it.
Btw, where did you source the alloys from?
Pete's are Borbet dealers in India. I got the alloys from them.

The Maniacs DSG paddle shifter extensions on the GTI paddle shifts in the Polo GT Tsi. They are such a joy to use, especially downshifting in the corners.
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-photo12.jpg

The Bilstein B6 suspension changes the handling dramatically
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-photo10.jpg

The Optical parking system of the RCD510 in the Polo.
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-photo9.jpg

The RCD510 gels in beautifully in the stock location especially with the piano black finish and silver accents on the knobs.
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-photo11.jpg

More photos to follow.
robimahanta is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 05:58   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post
If i buy the TSI, my first mod is going to be the paddle shift flat bottom steering wheel. If you dont mind, can you kindly share the cost of this mod.
Looks like its 66k on the vagtune site Robi mentioned : http://vagtune.in/index.php?option=c...category_id=41
Old 16th July 2013, 11:48   #67
BHPian

Quote:

The Bilstein B6 suspension changes the handling dramatically
Are the springs stock or did you change those as well? Can you also please elaborate on the kind of change on the handling? Besides being sportier, can you describe by how much the pitch and yaw has reduced. I am just waiting to know on how this handles with B6 Bilsteins.
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 12:00   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

The flat bottom steering looks cool.
But, honestly, I prefer the stick shift way of the manual mode (+/-) to the paddles - especially in ghats. The paddles turn with the steering, so if I want to shift while taking a corner, stick is much easier.

cheers!
Old 16th July 2013, 13:06   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
The flat bottom steering looks cool.
But, honestly, I prefer the stick shift way of the manual mode (+/-) to the paddles - especially in ghats. The paddles turn with the steering, so if I want to shift while taking a corner, stick is much easier.

cheers!
Well even I thought so, but thats where the paddle shift extensions come in and makes it much more easy and fast
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 13:43   #70
Senior - BHPian

Hooked to this thread ! I must say you'v got brilliant taste robi, I have been reading your Skoda thread as well, Congratulations on the build so far.

I'v got a couple of queries,

1. So indeed the warranty goes out of the window if you get the GTI steering fitted to an otherwise stock car ? I am tempted to go for it when I get my car. Also could you mention the costs incurred for this mod ?

2. A Bit of googling and I stumbled upon this Link; Armrests for the Polo, is this similar to the one you'v installed on your Car ? Total price including shipping to India is 114.80$ excluding the duties (Although there is note at the bottom which says they would declare it as a gift to avoid the duties), perhaps a cheaper alternative to the OEM Armrests Package quoted on the Vagtune Website Link;

3. Finally how much for the Maniacs Paddle Shift Extensions ?

Last edited by ShortShifter : 16th July 2013 at 14:13.
Old 16th July 2013, 15:17   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I still have a lot of support staff to help me out in case anything goes wrong.
Robi, one question and I am not sure if it's valid. This is about the insurance. I don't recall if you bought the insurance from VW or outside. What I am saying is, the insurance company insured the stock car. Now that you are modding it by changing the steering wheel, suspension et al- will the insurance company still back you up when required? I am not aware of the policies followed by insurance companies for modded cars, hence the question. Please excuse if this is too 'noob' a question.
Old 16th July 2013, 15:42   #72
BHPian

Quote:
The Mod project for the Polo has taken off.
First the 300hp Laura and now this? Wow robi, you surely know how to keep us entertained! :P
Beautiful car you got there. Can you please post some pictures of the exterior? Wanted to know how 16 inchers look on the polo. And have you planned any other performance mods?
Old 17th July 2013, 14:07   #73
BHPian

Hey Robi,
The hot hatch is turning into a scorcher in front of our virtual eyes, thanks for the show and keep it coming.
Please we need better complete photo shoot out, but willing to wait though. I want to get the GTi steering and the paddles as well but probably after 10months or so as I will be out of country and away from my car for 6 long months or so. Will PM you to get your inputs then. Could you please share the cost for the same?

The interiors look awesome now with the HU update as well. Is it possible to get a steering wheel with white stitches on the leather, which will match with other upholstery?

Cheers,
D.
delta5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 14:18   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

The drive back from Cochin was brilliant. The car was remapped with a very conservative map making the power delivery super linear and getting rid of the minimal lag which was present. Approx output figures 120HP/205Nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Are the springs stock or did you change those as well? Can you also please elaborate on the kind of change on the handling? Besides being sportier, can you describe by how much the pitch and yaw has reduced. I am just waiting to know on how this handles with B6 Bilsteins.
I have not changed the springs as I need the ride height. I already have enough trouble with my lowered Laura in Bangalore especially in the monsoons. Again I am not sure about exactly how much pitch and yaw reduction is there as you probably need a gyroscope or accelerometer for that . But based on gut feeling the roll is almost negligible now. I can carry considerably more speed in the corners and the car feels planted. I had two back to back drives of over 600KMs and the difference is huge. Its best to drive a car with Bilsteins and one without to get the feel of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter View Post
Hooked to this thread ! I must say you'v got brilliant taste robi, I have been reading your Skoda thread as well, Congratulations on the build so far.

I'v got a couple of queries,

1. So indeed the warranty goes out of the window if you get the GTI steering fitted to an otherwise stock car ? I am tempted to go for it when I get my car. Also could you mention the costs incurred for this mod ?

Its better you get in touch with Pete's for pricing as my car was kind of like a project car, the pricing may be different.

2. A Bit of googling and I stumbled upon this Link; Armrests for the Polo, is this similar to the one you'v installed on your Car ? Total price including shipping to India is 114.80$ excluding the duties (Although there is note at the bottom which says they would declare it as a gift to avoid the duties), perhaps a cheaper alternative to the OEM Armrests Package quoted on the Vagtune Website Link;

Looks like the same one, just make sure its the RHD version. The armrest is VW Shanghai product. I got it through Himanshu (J&J Motorwerks, Mumbai ,himanshu@jjmotorweks.com) for around 9K.

3. Finally how much for the Maniacs Paddle Shift Extensions ?

These were picked up from US. It costs around 100USD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nd3r50n View Post
Robi, one question and I am not sure if it's valid. This is about the insurance. I don't recall if you bought the insurance from VW or outside. What I am saying is, the insurance company insured the stock car. Now that you are modding it by changing the steering wheel, suspension et al- will the insurance company still back you up when required? I am not aware of the policies followed by insurance companies for modded cars, hence the question. Please excuse if this is too 'noob' a question.
Well there are always loopholes. I know heavily modded Laura which crashed and was still covered by insurance. The modded parts were removed though. Besides most of the parts I have are genuine VW parts except for the suspension which is actually a much superior german product than the stock dampers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
First the 300hp Laura and now this? Wow robi, you surely know how to keep us entertained! :P
Beautiful car you got there. Can you please post some pictures of the exterior? Wanted to know how 16 inchers look on the polo. And have you planned any other performance mods?
Here you go. Regarding other mods, let see.

Side profile

VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-sidepolo.jpg

On the move

VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-screenshot20130717at1.43.02pm.jpg

Another view

VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-sideprofilepolo.jpg

Leather interiors with the armrest

VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-leatherpolo.jpg

Centre console with GTI wheel and paddle shift extenders

VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-screenshot20130717at1.43.32pm.jpg

Image Credit: Pete's Automotive Pvt Ltd
robimahanta is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 14:25   #75
BHPian

Congrats on the great buy and the extremely well modded car ! The only thing that I can think of to top off this is a IDE Autoworks' Mod. That would make it the hottest li'l hatch in town!
Original website
Indian Autos Blog preview
Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks