Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2015, 00:04   #1981
Senior - BHPian

Any news regarding 1.8TSI MT version ?

When the Octavia was launched in India in late 2013, there was no 1.8TSI in MT guise for RHD markets (I had checked Skoda UK website several times well into 2014), while Germany/LHD markets had the 6-speed option.

A few weeks back I checked again on the Skoda UK website, and presto, they now listed a 1.8TSI in MT trim !! So, back to the old query (and hope I guess) that Skoda launch the MT in India too ?
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 07:56   #1982
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Any news regarding 1.8TSI MT version ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
When the Octavia was launched in India in late 2013, there was no 1.8TSI in MT guise for RHD markets (I had checked Skoda UK website several times well into 2014), while Germany/LHD markets had the 6-speed option.

A few weeks back I checked again on the Skoda UK website, and presto, they now listed a 1.8TSI in MT trim !! So, back to the old query (and hope I guess) that Skoda launch the MT in India too ?
You're very right, refer page 38 in the link below as it's too big to attach. Interesting to see that even though a manual torque is still restricted to 250 Nm. Why should that be? Thought the actual output was 320 but restricted to 250 to save the DSG.

https://tools.skoda.co.uk/content/br...re_octavia.pdf
Old 24th October 2015, 23:47   #1983
Senior - BHPian

Re: Any news regarding 1.8TSI MT version ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
You're very right, refer page 38 in the link below as it's too big to attach. Interesting to see that even though a manual torque is still restricted to 250 Nm. Why should that be? Thought the actual output was 320 but restricted to 250 to save the DSG.

https://tools.skoda.co.uk/content/br...re_octavia.pdf
It is 320NM in the 6DSG 4x4 variant. I guess Skoda does not want the 7DSG to have worse torque than the MT - create a disincentive for folks to pay a big premium over the MT ?
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 15:09   #1984
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Has anyone here test driven the new abarth punto? How does it compare to the 1.8 TSI in terms of performance? I know its an unfair comparison considering the segments and price gulf but its such an exciting car that I am curious if someone has tested and can offer their opinion on the performance aspect. We do often compare our Octavias to the luxury segment in terms of performance so it will be interesting to see it being meted out by a hot hatch that costs less than half its price.
Old 26th October 2015, 15:40   #1985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
Has anyone here test driven the new abarth punto? How does it compare to the 1.8 TSI in terms of performance? I know its an unfair comparison considering the segments and price gulf but its such an exciting car that I am curious if someone has tested and can offer their opinion on the performance aspect. We do often compare our Octavias to the luxury segment in terms of performance so it will be interesting to see it being meted out by a hot hatch that costs less than half its price.
My cousin did the test drive. He is on the impression that the gear ratios are not spot on. So its seems on performance its not comparable to 1.8 TSI, may be comparable with 1.4TSI.
Old 31st October 2015, 10:20   #1986
BHPian

Hi,

I want to buy a can of engine oil to top up for my 1.8TSI. This is the oil I have been told to buy by the service guys :

Castrol edge 5W-40 (or 5W-30)

Wanted to check again here to make sure. Please comment.

Also, the oil level is at the mid point between max and min. how much do you think is required for top up?

Thanks,
-haren.
Old 31st October 2015, 11:38   #1987
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
Hi,

I want to buy a can of engine oil to top up for my 1.8TSI.

Also, the oil level is at the mid point between max and min. how much do you think is required for top up?

Thanks,

-haren.

You should get the 1 litre oil can from the dealer itself. 99.9% it is the Castrol Magnatec 5W-40. They say they only get it in bulk, but they also get it in small packs of 1 litre or 2 litres.

Also, if the oil level is still above min level, no need to top up.

When did you check the oil level? Optimum oil temperature is between 50-100 degrees celsius for checking its level. You can check Oil Temp in the MFD and then pop the hood to check the level. Have you had the first service yet?

Edit: just checked in my service bill, it is 5W 40 Castrol Magnatec Pro.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 31st October 2015 at 12:03.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 11:52   #1988
BHPian

Thanks very much, Adi .

I checked when the engine is completely cold. I am going on a long road trip next week and wanted to be prepared for the low oil warning. The service manual says Castrol edge is recommended. A small but reliable dealer near my place has 1l cans. On the Castrol website, it says Castrol edge 5w40 is compliant to vw 502 00.

First service is due in December.

Thanks again for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You should get the 1 litre oil can from the dealer itself. 99.9% it is the Castrol Magnatec 5W-40. They say they only get it in bulk, but they also get it in small packs of 1 litre or 2 litres.

Also, if the oil level is still above min level, no need to top up.

When did you check the oil level? Optimum oil temperature is between 50-100 degrees celsius for checking its level. You can check Oil Temp in the MFD and then pop the hood to check the level. Have you had the first service yet?
Old 2nd November 2015, 19:41   #1989
BHPian

Adding Navigation and Rear Camera...

Vagtune is offering to install Navigation and a Rear View Camera using the same head unit in a 2014 1.8TSi. How exactly does this work? Has anyone within the group had such a thing installed?
Old 2nd November 2015, 21:17   #1990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
How exactly does this work? Has anyone within the group had such a thing installed?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161560
Here you go pal!

Last edited by ampere : 2nd November 2015 at 21:22. Reason: Formatted quoted post
Old 3rd November 2015, 19:25   #1991
BHPian

zee_bat, thanks a ton for pointing the way. The navigation stuff, by all accounts seems inadequate. I have decided to drop the upgrade. At a later date, will try to contact the service guys and see if they can do the upgrade to something more reasonable, considering that the anniversary edition has navigation and camera installed.
Old 3rd November 2015, 21:42   #1992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
zee_bat, thanks a ton for pointing the way. The navigation stuff, by all accounts seems inadequate. I have decided to drop the upgrade. At a later date, will try to contact the service guys and see if they can do the upgrade to something more reasonable, considering that the anniversary edition has navigation and camera installed.

You're welcome! I've asked the service guys here in Delhi for the same upgrade from Skoda itself and they don't seem to know much yet. Update here if your service guys agree to retrofit the OEM camera/navigation
Old 6th November 2015, 09:41   #1993
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, am aware there is a separate discounts thread but do post any discounts received on any of the Octavia variants here too.
Old 6th November 2015, 14:28   #1994
BHPian

I have posted this in the anniversary edition thread. Thought I will add it here also for the benefit of few who might miss that thread. I got a Style plus 1.8 TSI Octavia on 2 of October. At around 80km the exhaust warning light came up. I took it to the service center and they did a scan and said the error is coming from upstream O2 sensor and cleared the error code. At around 400km on the odo the light came up again. On 27th Oct the car was send to service center again and they identified the O2 sensor is not working and will be replaced in warranty. After some heated exchanges with dealer and skoda india they provided me a 2010 superb as a spare car. Initially they said the part will com on 5th Nov. As on today the car is still in the workshop waiting for the part to arrive and no one is able to give me a conclusive answer when it will come.
motor_breathing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 15:00   #1995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
I have posted this in the anniversary edition thread. Thought I will add it here also for the benefit of few who might miss that thread. I got a Style plus 1.8 TSI Octavia on 2 of October. At around 80km the exhaust warning light came up. I took it to the service center and they did a scan and said the error is coming from upstream O2 sensor and cleared the error code. At around 400km on the odo the light came up again. On 27th Oct the car was send to service center again and they identified the O2 sensor is not working and will be replaced in warranty. After some heated exchanges with dealer and skoda india they provided me a 2010 superb as a spare car. Initially they said the part will com on 5th Nov. As on today the car is still in the workshop waiting for the part to arrive and no one is able to give me a conclusive answer when it will come.
so sorry to hear this! I hope this is your first and last issue with your new car.
On a side note, I was wondering why just because of a sensor, you have left your car at the A.S.S. I mean can't we just use our car till the new sensor arrive? I am asking this silly question because of the condition in which your new car might be standing at the service centre.

Regards
Shreyak
shreyak_ss is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks