Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2014, 16:23   #136
BHPian

Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Two versions of the Linea will be on sale, the classic and the facelift. The reason why the pre-facelift is still on sale is that Fiat had manufactured around 700 odd pre facelift Lineas during the month of Jan and this should only be available until the stocks last. Last week of February there had close to 300 left as stock. So expect this to be on sale till April end.
That means it is an awesome time to negotiate some very sweet deals with the dealers on the pre-facelift models. I think we can expect discounts close to 1lakh on these. Not a bad thing at all.
Old 28th March 2014, 20:35   #137
BHPian

Mod team note: Back to back post, please use EDIT post once approved. Thanks.

I dont know if this is the right thread to be asking , but is it true that FIAT is giving the 1.6 MJD to YL1 rather than launching its own 1.6 MJD Linea.

First of all thanx for an amazing review , I have been devouring up anything and everything about the Linea.... I have a Lancer at home and have been looking for an apt replacement. However is it true that FIAT is outsourcing the 1.6 MJD to YL1 rather than launching it in the Linea, I read it on the net !!

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th March 2014 at 20:59.
Old 28th March 2014, 21:07   #138
Senior - BHPian

I would probably tag the discounts to be in the same region more or less , 80,000 - 100,000 but unlike previous times there is a little complication in this which is the fact that you opt for an older design , which in no manner in my opinion is a bad thing . Best to decide quickly and seal the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
That means it is an awesome time to negotiate some very sweet deals with the dealers on the pre-facelift models. I think we can expect discounts close to 1lakh on these. Not a bad thing at all.
Old 29th March 2014, 20:54   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
...I dont know if this is the right thread to be asking , but is it true that FIAT is giving the 1.6 MJD to YL1 rather than launching its own 1.6 MJD Linea...
Well, with Fiat's usual "strategy" that is bound to happen. But, we do NOT have any solid reports / confirmation of 1.6L MJD been used in the YL1. So that's more of a rumour; plus one of our Mod was told that it will indeed be a 1.3L MJD which will be used.

Am sure we will be pleasantly surprised if Maruti retains two different engine options (1.3L & 1.6L) like the current Verna (1.4L & 1.6L)
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 23:56   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Well, with Fiat's usual "strategy" that is bound to happen. But, we do NOT have any solid reports / confirmation of 1.6L MJD been used in the YL1. So that's more of a rumour; plus one of our Mod was told that it will indeed be a 1.3L MJD which will be used.

Am sure we will be pleasantly surprised if Maruti retains two different engine options (1.3L & 1.6L) like the current Verna (1.4L & 1.6L)
Can Fiat afford the expenditure of manufacturing the 1.6 in Ranjangaon, and suffer the extra excise duty too? Surely not. Unless: supplies to Maruti provide scale economies. And/or: Fiat starts the local manufacture a B- and C-SUV from Jeep, which is what they laid out in their perspective plan last year. No 1.6 mjd before Jeep starts local production, is my guess. 2016? In any case: anyone who likes the Linea but won't buy it because of this engine's absence needs to take a re-look at the economics what with higher diesel prices going forward. Go for the T-Jet, i say! It is NOT an inefficient engine, if driven properly (which does not mean slowly!)
desdemona is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 10:40   #141
BHPian

I heard that Maruti is not procuring engines from Fiat any more. Is that true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Can Fiat afford the expenditure of manufacturing the 1.6 in Ranjangaon, and suffer the extra excise duty too? Surely not. Unless: supplies to Maruti provide scale economies. And/or: Fiat starts the local manufacture a B- and C-SUV from Jeep, which is what they laid out in their perspective plan last year. No 1.6 mjd before Jeep starts local production, is my guess. 2016? In any case: anyone who likes the Linea but won't buy it because of this engine's absence needs to take a re-look at the economics what with higher diesel prices going forward. Go for the T-Jet, i say! It is NOT an inefficient engine, if driven properly (which does not mean slowly!)
Old 31st March 2014, 14:40   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I would probably tag the discounts to be in the same region more or less , 80,000 - 100,000 but unlike previous times there is a little complication in this which is the fact that you opt for an older design , which in no manner in my opinion is a bad thing . Best to decide quickly and seal the deal.
But for that 1L discount the buyer will miss the new dashboard, which is said to be considerable improvement over the old model, and other features like the CC and blinkers in ORVM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasankar View Post
I heard that Maruti is not procuring engines from Fiat any more. Is that true?
Yes there is no confirmed report of the 1.6MJD being sold to MS, but Maruti is desperate to have the engine to launch their compact SUV range in India. The 1.3MJD is being used in all the present hatches of MS, which is quite sufficient to power the smaller hatches. Also the trend is now slowly shifting back to petrols in the smaller segments and this is a strength of MS.

But to power the CUV range from the Maruti stable it requires a bigger diesel engine and their own diesel engine in the 1.5L range will not be ready in the next couple of years or more. So Maruti is desperately trying to negotiate with Fiat for the 1.6L MJD even if that means importing the engine initially with an agreement to manufacture the same locally at a later date.

Note : This is hearsay for me and I cannot vouch for the authenticity of this information.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 14:45   #143
Senior - BHPian

Thats what i meant when i wrote "its a little complicated this time"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
But for that 1L discount the buyer will miss the new dashboard, which is said to be considerable improvement over the old model, and other features like the CC and blinkers in ORVM.

Old 1st April 2014, 13:58   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswant View Post
You're welcome Ashwin. Sorry to know about that accident.
I got it booked at the caffe. I'm mainly based in Mumbai but recently shifted some part of business to pune so didn't have much idea about which dealer is good.
Hope everything works out well.
Which colour have you opted for? We took the grey one & delivery someday in first week of APR.
I was able squeeze in more discount at the last moment even after him saying 10.06 is the least possible price.
I did get a surprise 'Exchange Bonus' though my old Linea is nowhere near to being exchanged! So OTR for me worked out to be less than 10L, i.e. to say by 4/5K.

All in all good experience and mine was delivered on Gudi Padwa i.e. yesterday (Hopefully Pics & Reviews soon!).

I got a Magnesio Grey, which Grey is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
2012 and post-2012 versions have a lighter steering setup at low speeds, I stand by what I said. MultiJets were revamped in 2012 with this change, while the T-Jet saw a refresh only in 2013 (only old stocks of 2011 T-Jets were being sold in 2012). My 2012 Punto 90HP also has a lighter feel.

That said, the all new Linea which is now being sold, does not differ from the 2013 setup in my opinion. Both have a lighter feel compared to the first gen T-Jets. Parking is easier, U-turns are easier and maneuvering in tight turns / crowded roads feels easier than the first gen T-Jets. At the same time, both weigh up nicely as the car gains speeds.
Well i see a lot of chatter that my steering experience created but that has only confirmed what i doubted. The new Lineas indeed have a lighter steering at city speeds, i guess i will have to take this one on a highway to see how the steering behaves at higher speed.

Though i completely and totally prefer the steering experience of my old Linea T-Jet plus (2011). I think that is one thing i will sorely miss in my new one!
Old 1st April 2014, 14:30   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Morey View Post
I did get a surprise 'Exchange Bonus' though my old Linea is nowhere near to being exchanged! So OTR for me worked out to be less than 10L, i.e. to say by 4/5K.

All in all good experience and mine was delivered on Gudi Padwa i.e. yesterday (Hopefully Pics & Reviews soon!).

I got a Magnesio Grey, which Grey is yours?
Good that you pushed the dealer for this last moment discount. My on road cost also works out to be same as yours. we too found the magnesio grey the most attractive.
And Ashwin it will be a great Help if you can recommend a good driver as i am new to the city.

Last edited by jaswant : 1st April 2014 at 14:33.
Old 1st April 2014, 17:34   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Morey View Post

Congrats on the New Linea! I guess you are the first one in T-BHP to take the delivery of New Linea!

Is your variant Emotion?
In Bangalore, the OTR for Emotion is around 11 lacs...
Old 1st April 2014, 19:35   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswant View Post
And Ashwin it will be a great Help if you can recommend a good driver as i am new to the city.
I will see what I can do! Never had a need for a Driver myself so have never ventured there. PM me the details of what you want and I will see if there is a reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Congrats on the New Linea! I guess you are the first one in T-BHP to take the delivery of New Linea!

Is your variant Emotion?
In Bangalore, the OTR for Emotion is around 11 lacs...
Thanks! Am I really the first one? That would be nice

Yeah my variant is the Emotion one which is the top variant for the new Linea. 11L is steep considering i got mine for just under 10L (Including the exchange bonus).
Ashwin Morey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:12   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Also the trend is now slowly shifting back to petrols in the smaller segments and this is a strength of MS.

Eaxctly. This has been said, done and dusted many times here in Team-BHP itself. Turbo charged petrols are the way forward from now on. Once elections are over, its anyones guess how fuel will be priced.

Last edited by racer_ash : 2nd April 2014 at 12:27. Reason: fixing quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 13:24   #149
BHPian

Saw one in flesh yesterday at the toll point on Faridabad Gurgaon border. Looked quite big and oozed premium feel at least for me in the golden color. I kind of raised myself from the driver seat to check out the interiors and must say Fiat has done a good job. The front grill too didnt look all that bad as compared to the impression one gets in the pictures.
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:12   #150
BHPian

So finally here is my review of the New Fiat Linea T-Jet 2014 Emotion Pack. I am no expert at reviewing but I will try my best to describe it based on how others have put up their Ownership reviews.

But before i go into the experience of the new T-Jet, I would like everyone to know that my previous car was a T-Jet Plus 2011 make hence some of my opinion maybe biased or clouded!

I will start with the likes first-

1. If anyone has the slightest doubt whether the new TJ gives the same adrenaline rush, rest assured it does. Once you cross the 2000rpm mark what happens can be best described as 'Supernova' or 'Big Bang' moment. However unlike my old TJ, this one gives you a punchy start. The earlier one was a sleeping giant who suddenly woke up, this one is more alert and more quicker and yet gives you the Big Bang moment.

2. I don't know if its just me but i have a strong feeling that the Gear Knob has been shortened and hence shifting gears is much easier. It is more sleek, more easy and fun.

3. The suspension, ride quality is top-class just like it was in the old TJ. The NVH levels are well managed.

4. The entire dashboard is a treat to the eye and you definitely get a premium feel that is usually reserved for a class above.

5. At almost the same rate Fiat has definitely launched a more premium offering and its a steal at that price.

Dislikes-

1. I still hate the shortened front armrest but I am sure most here would love it.

2. Maybe I am going a bit overboard but I somehow feel that there is a lot of 'Indianess' to this car than the previous TJ that I had. I don't remember but I think the IRVM has changed shape to be a square block, excellent visibility but very Maruti like.

3. The way the turn indicator bar makes noise when you change the indicators or even the way the horn sounds is way more different. Mind you it is very efficient and the way we are used to in most cars (read Maruti, Tata, Hyundai) but being an existing Tjet user I miss the muted sounds compared to the more 'clucky' ones now.

4. I fell in love with this new one the moment i saw it but over time the front of the car somehow is wearing off on me and I am again leaning back to the front of the old one. That is not to say that the rest of the car is the problem, in fact from all other angles the new one is absolute delight.

5. I don't know if its just my car or whether a common problem but this new one's AC at least loses to the one in the old TJ. This one really takes some time to cool. But this issue is a suspect case since I only used my AC ones and that too when the car was standing outside in the sun for a good 4 hrs.

I guess that's all I can describe for now with my limited knowledge. Tried uploading a host of pics but most of them are above 1 mb hence the upload failed. I will try to find a work around to this and upload pics too, I think they will tell a much better story then my review here

However here is one pic that managed to be here. Is it just me or do all of you feel that the raised ground clearance of the new Linea TJ makes the tyre look smaller though it is Goodyear!
Attached Thumbnails
The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_20140402_104737161.jpg  

Ashwin Morey is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks