Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2014, 12:32   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I like the fact that the only cars that the Linea is being compared to are a segment if not 2 above it , the rapid is good but not as good as the Linea , the Vento i cannot comment on and the Verna no where close.
The query at post #114 was specifically for a car from the next segment.

However, the Vento/Rapid and the Fiesta, from the same segment, are also known for their superb handling.
Old 23rd March 2014, 15:14   #122
BHPian

Had been to the RDCFiat showroom to see the new Linea. Thoroughly impressed. My wife popped the question to the salesman asking if they would exchange our 2011 t-jet for a new one. Sadly, salesman said no exchange programmes at the moment
Old 24th March 2014, 14:11   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaxfan View Post
Ashwin, what speeds were you driving at during the TD ?

The 2013 onward Lineas have a different steering setup which is lighter compared to 2011 models at city speeds but at highway speeds is as weighted.
Do you have the source where you have read this? If that is the case then great. In my TD i was driving within the city hence the speed was restricted to 50-60 KPH.

BTW Guys, I have booked the new Linea T-Jet and am expecting a delivery on 31st March. Detailed review to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswant View Post
I just Booked one today at Pune after cancelling ford classic booked last month. You Can get in touch with me for details. Tjet Emotion.
didn't consider to test drive it as the vehicle is going to be mostly Chauffeured for the use by wife. She i guess liked all the feature given and interior fit and finish.
Thanks Jaswant for the help! I have been a T-Jet owner myself and the only reason why i went and booked the current T-Jet 2014 is because my previous one met with an accident. Since i was back so soon the SAs there immediately recognized me (Thx to the comprehensive PDI as mentioned in this community).

Where did you book it from Pandit Auto or Fiat Caffe? I went with Pandit Auto (same dealer for my old Linea) and their OTR was not only cheaper by 10K but they also offered a 10K Loyalty bonus on this NEW Linea!!

Last edited by aah78 : 28th March 2014 at 18:17. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 24th March 2014, 16:08   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaxfan View Post
Ashwin, what speeds were you driving at during the TD ?

The 2013 onward Lineas have a different steering setup which is lighter compared to 2011 models at city speeds but at highway speeds is as weighted.
Whosover told you this is totally a wrong info. There is no steering set up change.
Linea is fitted with hydraulic steering and how do you think they might work like EPS?
Old 24th March 2014, 18:05   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Morey View Post
Thanks Jaswant for the help! I have been a T-Jet owner myself and the only reason why i went and booked the current T-Jet 2014 is because my previous one met with an accident. Since i was back so soon the SAs there immediately recognized me (Thx to the comprehensive PDI as mentioned in this community).

Where did you book it from Pandit Auto or Fiat Caffe? I went with Pandit Auto (same dealer for my old Linea) and their OTR was not only cheaper by 10K but they also offered a 10K Loyalty bonus on this NEW Linea!!
You're welcome Ashwin. Sorry to know about that accident.
I got it booked at the caffe. I'm mainly based in Mumbai but recently shifted some part of business to pune so didn't have much idea about which dealer is good.
Hope everything works out well.
Which colour have you opted for? We took the grey one & delivery someday in first week of APR.
I was able squeeze in more discount at the last moment even after him saying 10.06 is the least possible price.
Old 24th March 2014, 18:12   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Whosover told you this is totally a wrong info. There is no steering set up change.
Linea is fitted with hydraulic steering and how do you think they might work like EPS?
i think what the gent meant was that he liked the "weight build up" at higher speeds from the Linea's steering wheel.

All power assisted steering setup's can be made to deliver variable degrees of assistance at different road speeds.

Usually in a hydraulically assisted steering setup, the hydraulic pumps are what is known as positive displacement types.
That is, the flow rate, (of oil inside the ram that is), is proportionate to vehicle speed. This in turn means that at high road/engine speeds the steering will tend to operate faster - which is very undesirable and possibly even dangerous.
Most of these Variable Assist Systems, thus, have a restricting orifice or a flow control valve to direct some of the pump's output back to the hydraulic reservoir at high speeds. Also a pressure relief valve is given to control the build up of pressure when the hydraulic piston reaches the end of its stroke. Some systems also use an electronic control valve to reduce the hydraulic supply pressure as vehicle speed increases.

In fact variable assist hydraulic power steering systems first made its debut in the Indica V2 editions
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 18:03   #127
BHPian

Quote:

Kindly go through this post here by KarthikK who posted a comparison between 2011 and 2013 TJet.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3151272

This part specifically

"There is a marked difference between the 2011 version and the 2013 versions. The older T-Jet+ steering feels a little stiffer and tighter at city speeds and crawling pace parking speeds. The 2013 T-Jet's steering feels a lot lighter in the city at speeds <30-40 kmph. Once you gain speed, the 2013 T-Jet weighs up nicely and matches the feel of the old T-Jet+.

It is like having the best of both worlds now with the 2013 version. You can no longer grumble about a hard steering when parking the car (the test drive car was almost as light as an EPS with more feedback), and yet you can't complain about loss in feel at higher speeds. The overall steering feedback and communication about the road surface irregularities remains the segment benchmark. The older T-Jet has a tighter setup at low speeds and gives a feeling of being in command of a heavy tank-like build. I personally preferred the older heavier steering."
Old 26th March 2014, 15:49   #128
Team-BHP Support

2012 and post-2012 versions have a lighter steering setup at low speeds, I stand by what I said. MultiJets were revamped in 2012 with this change, while the T-Jet saw a refresh only in 2013 (only old stocks of 2011 T-Jets were being sold in 2012). My 2012 Punto 90HP also has a lighter feel.

That said, the all new Linea which is now being sold, does not differ from the 2013 setup in my opinion. Both have a lighter feel compared to the first gen T-Jets. Parking is easier, U-turns are easier and maneuvering in tight turns / crowded roads feels easier than the first gen T-Jets. At the same time, both weigh up nicely as the car gains speeds.

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th March 2014 at 15:50.
Old 26th March 2014, 18:41   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even hydraulic steerings weigh up as speed increases. This is not EPS specific feature. Mitsubishi used to advertise this in the Lancer even though it was pretty standard.
Old 27th March 2014, 14:10   #130
Senior - BHPian

Adding OTR rates of new Linea at Trivandrum. Checked out the car but didnt do a TD ( demo car isnt here) and I dint want to do on a customer car.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-camera360_2014_3_27_020130.jpg  

Old 27th March 2014, 14:51   #131
BHPian

Sorry if it has been discussed earlier. But looks like the price list above shows both the old and new versions of the Linea. Is that true? In that case, how long is FIAT going to sell the old and new Lineas together. By what I gather, there are now three variations of Linea, The pre-facelift, the classic and the New.
Old 27th March 2014, 17:06   #132
Senior - BHPian

I guess production of classic & pre-facelift models will be stopped & be available until the stocks last.
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 13:18   #133
Senior - BHPian

Yep , there are 3 versions and the pre-facelift will stop selling once the stocks are over and done with ,although i am inclined to think that they could have fine tuned production better to ensure that they did not have too much stock once the new one came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Sorry if it has been discussed earlier. But looks like the price list above shows both the old and new versions of the Linea. Is that true? In that case, how long is FIAT going to sell the old and new Lineas together. By what I gather, there are now three variations of Linea, The pre-facelift, the classic and the New.
puchoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 15:06   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I guess production of classic & pre-facelift models will be stopped & be available until the stocks last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Yep , there are 3 versions and the pre-facelift will stop selling once the stocks are over and done with ,although i am inclined to think that they could have fine tuned production better to ensure that they did not have too much stock once the new one came out.
For now there are 3 versions of the Linea in the Classic, pre facelift and the facelift.

Two versions of the Linea will be on sale, the classic and the facelift. The reason why the pre-facelift is still on sale is that Fiat had manufactured around 700 odd pre facelift Lineas during the month of Jan and this should only be available until the stocks last. Last week of February there had close to 300 left as stock. So expect this to be on sale till April end.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 15:08   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Even hydraulic steerings weigh up as speed increases. This is not EPS specific feature. Mitsubishi used to advertise this in the Lancer even though it was pretty standard.
I think there is some misunderstanding created due to what i posted, sorry for that, i dint mean to offend anyone.
I know Linea is fitted with variable rack and pinion steering unit.

What i mean was it doesnt work like EPS. EPS is totally lifeless at slow speeds and gives no real feedback. Its very light and can be turned even with the ladies finger.

The Hydraulic unit on the Fiats doesnt get so light when speed reduces. It still holds a good amount of weight.

KarthikK i dont know what models you tested, but even if you see at part nos nothing has changed.
Also my linea 2011 end steering works very much same as 2013model Linea. I drive both often and dont feel any difference.

The difference i find is between 15" and 16" tyres models. I,e newer emotion linea which has broader 205 secion wheels give a different feedback at the steering than the ones fitted with 15" 195 section tyres.

So i guess its due to tyre and not due to actual steering mechanism. I confirmed the same at FASS and they too said that there is no change.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks