Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2015, 16:39   #211
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Well, that is an interesting observation and thank you for sharing it. . So my wild guess seems to have hit the "bull's eye". Now couple of queries, how long the tuning box have been fitted on the car, is there any instrument cluster/ indication that the tuning box is not functioning as expected? This could perhaps have saved all the trouble to your brother.
This is quite a learning for me. I was inclined towards fitting a tuning box on my car as well, but incidences like these makes me rethink. It is always better to keep the car in stock condition as far as possible if you want to have peace of mind. Modifications may give you instantaneous pleasures, but if that is at the cost of reliability then I don't want to touch it even with a barge pole.
Thank you for indicating towards the tuning box. Answers to the query -
1. The tuning box was installed about 1.5 years ago.
2.No, no indication on instrument cluster showing that the box is malfunctioning.

Bang on! Keeping a car in stock condition always ensures peace of mind which I myself have experienced with my Zen and my cousin brother with his M800. I had told my brother to keep his Innova in stock condition but keeping a car in stock condition is not being himself lol. He always modifies his cars but this was the first time that he decided to modify the engine. According to reviews seen on Team BHP the dieseltronics box is supposed to be reliable so I think this is a one off case. I would say it is a good decision of keeping the car in stock form . Also sir had one more query. Is the place near your cars turbo ( the metal pipe like thing which is attached to the turbo,pardon my ignorance don't know the name of the part ) kind of rusted/ lost its paint and is brown in colour. The pipe in my brothers Innova looks like it is rusted but when he asked the Toyota SA he said that it is normal in all Innova's and it's not rust just discolouration. Is that also the case with your workhorse?

Regards,
Swamyzen

Last edited by swamyzen : 13th July 2015 at 16:41.
swamyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 17:38   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamyzen View Post
Thank you for indicating towards the tuning box. Answers to the query -
1. The tuning box was installed about 1.5 years ago.
2.No, no indication on instrument cluster showing that the box is malfunctioning.
Thank you for getting the answers to my queries . 1.5 years and no problems, that is some good service that your brother has got from the tuning box.

Quote:
He always modifies his cars but this was the first time that he decided to modify the engine. According to reviews seen on Team BHP the dieseltronics box is supposed to be reliable so I think this is a one off case. I would say it is a good decision of keeping the car in stock form .
You are spot on. Even I don't mind modification or accessorizing the car, which enhances its looks or utility. However any changes to the engine, body structure (chassis), transmission etc has many potential pitfalls, hence one should make a wise decision.

Quote:
Also sir had one more query. Is the place near your cars turbo ( the metal pipe like thing which is attached to the turbo,pardon my ignorance don't know the name of the part ) kind of rusted/ lost its paint and is brown in colour. The pipe in my brothers Innova looks like it is rusted but when he asked the Toyota SA he said that it is normal in all Innova's and it's not rust just discolouration. Is that also the case with your workhorse?
Ohh, this million dollar question. Turbo pipe rusted. Now I don't know the exact metallurgy of this part. However I can tell you with guarantee that the Toyota SA is definitely not bluffing. The pipe is exactly in the same condition in my car. If time permits I can take a picture and share it with you. Just imagine the very hot exhaust gases passing through this pipe to run the turbine. This pipe being a casting, must be made up of Cast Iron (or similar form of steel). Now the chemistry lessons taught during school days tell us that higher the temperature, faster is the oxidation (rusting is nothing but iron in the pipe reacting with oxygen from the atmosphere). Hence this pipe, which is perenially hot is always prone to rusting.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 17:53   #213
BHPian

The turbo pipe is rusted in all Innovas I have checked at least 5 Innovas of different age. They all had the same colour.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 22:15   #214
MMV
BHPian

Congrats on the fabulous choice AutoIndian, in fact you are lucky to get it at a good price.

Though much have been spoken at length about this tireless workhorse, this particular point merits a mention time and again - Its the only vehicle (in the segment below 25lakh) in which even if you travel the entire day, you will step out fresh with no signs of any road fatigue or tiredness. If the vehicle has captain seats then the ride is even better.

In fact I also looking for a pre-owned one for family use. Even if it has done a lakh km, its always ready for another 2 lakh km more at least. Don't think there is no competition to Innova in these 2 aspects (ride quality and reliability) from any of the peers.
MMV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 11:26   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMV View Post
Congrats on the fabulous choice AutoIndian, in fact you are lucky to get it at a good price.
Thank you and indeed I was very lucky to get hold of such a good car at a reasonable price. The published quote was 8 lacs, but I managed to get it down to 7.4 lacs, the balance 60K saved was splurged on grooming the car to its current state.

Quote:
Though much have been spoken at length about this tireless workhorse, this particular point merits a mention time and again - Its the only vehicle (in the segment below 25lakh) in which even if you travel the entire day, you will step out fresh with no signs of any road fatigue or tiredness. If the vehicle has captain seats then the ride is even better.
Absolutely . This is the prime reason, why I went for this cars and not other pseudo MPVs (al Ertiga, Mobilio, Enjoy etc). My dad who is 73+ on one hand and the younger one who has just crossed two, both thoroughly enjoy the BW for the comfort and roominess it provides.

Quote:
In fact I also looking for a pre-owned one for family use. Even if it has done a lakh km, its always ready for another 2 lakh km more at least. Don't think there is no competition to Innova in these 2 aspects (ride quality and reliability) from any of the peers.
Exactly, Tatas wasted a very good opportunity with the Aria. M&M had a competent offering in the Xylo, but then the boxy shape and commercial segment inclination shooed away personal car buyers. I think it will be only the new Innova that can beat the existing Innova
Old 27th July 2015, 13:07   #216
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends, today morning while coming to office the odo of my Black Workhorse crossed the 65K km milestone. Sharing pictures below of the odo. I have booked the 65K km service with DSK Toyota, Bavdhan for the coming Saturday (01-Aug). Besides regular service I have to get the RHS front wheel bearing replaced. For the last couple of days I have noted one observation. Whenever I press the clutch pedal to change the gears, I am hearing mild noise, like "kkrrr". Seems like the clutch cable is rubbing against its housing/hose. Has anyone observed this? Will greasing of the clutch cable fix this noise?

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-odo-65k1.jpg

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-odo-65k2.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 17:31   #217
BHPian

Quote:
For the last couple of days I have noted one observation. Whenever I press the clutch pedal to change the gears, I am hearing mild noise, like "kkrrr". Seems like the clutch cable is rubbing against its housing/hose. Has anyone observed this? Will greasing of the clutch cable fix this noise?
Oh the "kkrrr" noise been there, heard that. I have also observed this sound in my Innova but only after a high speed run. The noise comes while pressing the clutch pedal and just when it is fully depressed like a creaky spring. But it also goes away on its own and this all normal. I have never heard this in city driving. The Innova is a unique car, it is not dependent on others to resolve its issues.

P.S. There will be small sounds like this so do not worry. When you get back the invoice after every service check the bottom of the invoice they would have listed the problems in the car if any.

Last edited by Shanksta : 28th July 2015 at 17:34.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 18:06   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Oh the "kkrrr" noise been there, heard that. I have also observed this sound in my Innova but only after a high speed run. The noise comes while pressing the clutch pedal and just when it is fully depressed like a creaky spring. But it also goes away on its own and this all normal. I have never heard this in city driving. The Innova is a unique car, it is not dependent on others to resolve its issues.
That gives me some relief to know that I am not the lone person to face this issue . However unlike your case, I am now hearing this noise regularly during my in-city driving, it is not going on its own. I guess the clutch cable needs some lubrication. I will anyways take this up during my 65K service.

Quote:
P.S. There will be small sounds like this so do not worry. When you get back the invoice after every service check the bottom of the invoice they would have listed the problems in the car if any.
True, there will be small issues like this. My only worry is small should not grow into something big and that is why "A stitch in time would save nine"
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 22:10   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends, today morning while coming to office the odo of my Black Workhorse crossed the 65K km milestone. Sharing pictures below of the odo. I have booked the 65K km service with DSK Toyota, Bavdhan for the coming Saturday (01-Aug). Besides regular service I have to get the RHS front wheel bearing replaced. For the last couple of days I have noted one observation. Whenever I press the clutch pedal to change the gears, I am hearing mild noise, like "kkrrr". Seems like the clutch cable is rubbing against its housing/hose. Has anyone observed this? Will greasing of the clutch cable fix this noise?

Attachment 1395982

Attachment 1395983
Cable? Clutch is hydraulic, the noise should be from the other mechanical parts which operate the clutch after the hydraulic system.

Had faced the same issue in another car and it was due to a faulty bush and fork which sits after the slave cylinder.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 01:31   #220
BHPian

Hi Deepak,
It seems the clutch pedal mechanism with spring is the culprit. That's not a major one. But when you visit the service center, do inform the SA. They will spray lubricant to avoid friction. But if that sound is worrying you a lot and want a quick relief, then try spraying wd40. It will clear it up.

Coming to my black beauty, finally I received my innova a day before Eid. Had to shell out a major chunk to get it on road after a long long wait.
Being a month of ramazan it was a busy month and as there was nothing to post. I was not active on the forum. I did draft my previous experiences a couple of time but could not end up posting it here.

Cut short to the delivery.
After a long wait, The vehicle was delivered in hurry so I did not inspect the car in detail. It was around 7 pm and the light was almost faded. It was raining so the car was sprayed and wiped in haste. But anyways the SA oppologised and requested me to use the vehicle for couple of days and then give a feedback. The moment I was in 4th gear, I was able to figure out few nigglings and hence understood why the SA asked me to use the vehicle for couple of days and then provide a feedback.
It's been 2 weeks now and I will be visiting the service center the same day as you are planning to visit. We will catch up at the dealership. I have couple of concerns that I have highlighted to the SA and look forward to get them resolved.
Meanwhile my innova have crossed 70000kms. So that makes 13000kms in last 10 months of which 4 months it was almost idle.
Opps before i forget, Adding to the costs of repairs which I will share in my co
Future posts, my innova also suffered a major puncture on one of the rear tyre which had clocked 70k and were due for a change in another couple of K kms. So got two replaced with bridges. Now my black workhorse has all four new shoes to glide on.

Here are few of the pics clicked to post here. Note the difference in front and rear number plates. The dealer provided the front plate. I have ordered a new set in embossed look to keep it uniform.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-dsc_0157.jpg  

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-img_20150730_005329.jpg  

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-img_20150730_005409.jpg  

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-img_20150730_005428.jpg  

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-img_20150730_005501.jpg  

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-img_20150730_005528.jpg  

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-img_20150730_005553.jpg  

Last edited by SHAHBAAZ : 30th July 2015 at 01:39.
SHAHBAAZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 10:40   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHBAAZ View Post
Hi Deepak,
It seems the clutch pedal mechanism with spring is the culprit. That's not a major one. But when you visit the service center, do inform the SA. They will spray lubricant to avoid friction. But if that sound is worrying you a lot and want a quick relief, then try spraying wd40. It will clear it up.
Good to see your post here after a long time and thank you for the suggestion. You might be quite right as the sound does seem to be coming from a spring like mechanism. If lubricating that helps eliminate the noise and make the clutch a bit smoother to operate then I am definitely going to go for it. Off late my left have to exert more pressure on the clutch pedal.

Quote:
Coming to my black beauty, finally I received my Innova a day before Eid. Had to shell out a major chunk to get it on road after a long long wait.
Being a month of ramazan it was a busy month and as there was nothing to post. I was not active on the forum. I did draft my previous experiences a couple of time but could not end up posting it here.
Oh, belated Eid Mubarak to you and your family. Wonderful, so at last you got your black beauty back. Do share here all your experiences regarding the insurance and then the workshop . Will be useful to many forum members.

Quote:
Cut short to the delivery.
After a long wait, The vehicle was delivered in hurry so I did not inspect the car in detail. It was around 7 pm and the light was almost faded. It was raining so the car was sprayed and wiped in haste. But anyways the SA oppologised and requested me to use the vehicle for couple of days and then give a feedback. The moment I was in 4th gear, I was able to figure out few nigglings and hence understood why the SA asked me to use the vehicle for couple of days and then provide a feedback.
This is one thing you should have avoided, taking vehicle delivery in the dark. After such a major repair work it is always good to take a longish test drive of the car along with the Service Advisor or Test Driver so that unresolved issues if any can be shown them first hand. But then I can understand your desperation to get the car back on road and in your possession. I can't imagine leaving my car at the workshop for that long period.

Quote:
It's been 2 weeks now and I will be visiting the service center the same day as you are planning to visit. We will catch up at the dealership. I have couple of concerns that I have highlighted to the SA and look forward to get them resolved.
So finally we have some plan to meet. Looking forward to see you there at DSK on Saturday.

Quote:
Meanwhile my innova have crossed 70000kms. So that makes 13000kms in last 10 months of which 4 months it was almost idle.
Congratulations on reaching that milestone. I am just 5K short of that. I managed to clock 15K in last 8 months of ownership.

Quote:
Opps before i forget, Adding to the costs of repairs which I will share in my co
Future posts, my innova also suffered a major puncture on one of the rear tyre which had clocked 70k and were due for a change in another couple of K kms. So got two replaced with bridges. Now my black workhorse has all four new shoes to glide on.
Sorry to hear about the tyre puncture. 70K running carrying a 1.6 tonner is enough juice extracted. How much did the Bridgestones cost a piece? When I took the possession of my BW, it had one new tyre and others had run for 50K kms, but then they were 6 years old. Hence I did not take the risk of running them more, discarded them without any second thoughts and went for a new set of 4. Had spend 20K for a set of 4.

Quote:
Here are few of the pics clicked to post here. Note the difference in front and rear number plates. The dealer provided the front plate. I have ordered a new set in embossed look to keep it uniform.
Thanks for sharing the pics. Your BB is gleaming. It still looks so fresh (just out of the owen). Wish you happy ownership in future.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 12:52   #222
Senior - BHPian

Hi AutoIndian,

I have been following your thread for a while now.

This is really a great thread, since there are hardly any ownership threads on the Innova which give such a detailed ownership account !

Seeing the pictures, I have concluded that the Innova looks really stunning in black colour.

Wishing you many happy hours of mile munching in your reliable workhorse
mooza is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 13:01   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hi AutoIndian,

This is really a great thread, since there are hardly any ownership threads on the Innova which give such a detailed ownership account !

Seeing the pictures, I have concluded that the Innova looks really stunning in black colour.

Wishing you many happy hours of mile munching in your reliable workhorse
Thank you Mooza for your compliments. Indeed the Innova or any other car for that matter looks stunning in black, when maintained properly. Look at Shahbaaz's car, even after 6+ years and an accident she looks so pristine. I will post a picture of my car if time permits. The muck and dirt it has gathered in this rainy season, gives it altogether a different look, a true, rugged workhorse image. I am sure after the servicing over this week end and a good car wash, it will look as stunning as ever. I have now made it a point to do the car polishing at least once in a year. Only good polishing does a proper justice to this black beauty and cars in other dark shades.
Old 31st July 2015, 11:59   #224
BHPian

Quote:

This is one thing you should have avoided, taking vehicle delivery in the dark. After such a major repair work it is always good to take a longish test drive of the car along with the Service Advisor or Test Driver so that unresolved issues if any can be shown them first hand. But then I can understand your desperation to get the car back on road and in your possession. I can't imagine leaving my car at the workshop for that long period.
Deepak, Thanks for the Eid wishes.
Well for the delivery in the dark! It was a delay by the dealership and the insurance company. I had reached around 4:30pm but per the SA, the vehicle was not ready(for sure this was not the case except for wash) and there was no confirmation from Insurance company to let go the vehicle. Hence I had to wait for 2-3 hours to see my vehicle before getting delivered.
Anyways will catch up on Saturday to share my experiences.

Quote:
Mooza,
As Autoindian rightly said, black colour vehicles look stunning when maintained properly. You need to be a lover to maintain that colour. I have owned a couple of black colour vehicles and hence was looking for a black innova. Unfortunately my vehicle had met with an accident a month ago. Though it did not look a major from exterior, but internally I had to replace the frames.
If time permits, I will write a detailed post on it.
SHAHBAAZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 13:08   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will post a picture of my car if time permits. The muck and dirt it has gathered in this rainy season, gives it altogether a different look, a true, rugged workhorse image. I am sure after the servicing over this week end and a good car wash, it will look as stunning as ever.
Clicked some pictures today morning to show you the dirt and muck the car has gathered over the last few weeks of the monsoon season. Haven't given it a good wash for the last several days. Was waiting for the 65K service to give it a good bath. Hopefully tomorrow my BW should get purified internally and externally when it makes the scheduled visit to the Toyota workshop.

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-murky-car1.jpg

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-murky-car2.jpg

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-murky-car3.jpg

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-murky-car4.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks