Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2021, 13:41   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
And a rant on the annoying high speed warning. I'm told that newer vehicles have this high speed warning If you exceed 120 kmph. How do you guy even drive with this setup?!!
I was looking for this comment - can you shed a little more light on this? Is it unbearable completely or something manageable with relatively higher speaker volume or barely noticeable? Typically on our highways we end up driving above 120 kmph for once in a while and stay at that speed for about 5-10 minutes easily. Even though it is just 1 kmph extra over 120, it would trigger the beeps anyway. I was curious to see how it would feel at that beeping background for say around 15 mins continuously?

The XUV5OO BS6 is extremely bad at this - you just won't be able to drive beyond 120 for even a minute! All the earlier ones were kinda super short - just a chime at 150kmph mark and that's it - it just indirectly says - #$^@! yourself if you still want to go fast
abirnale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 16:14   #77
BHPian

And the review on the AC needs a post in itself

One of the many strong points of the XUV5OO was it's AC - It was amazing in one word. Even in the Chennai heat, it would instantly cool the vehicle. I usually keep my AC at 21C and it felt comfortable for the most part. The second row passengers also felt the AC effect. The AC was well balanced, in that, you didn't get to feel the chill only in the air that's blowing, but all around. I.e the whole vehicle was maintained at the same temperature as the temperature at which the air is blowing, or at least somewhat close. And so, it made the whole AC feel effective. If you felt hot, you just turned on the AC and the vehicle would instantly chill. You didn't have to direct the AC to your face or body to cool down your body.

Not case with XUV7OO. When I kept the vehicle at 21C, it felt pretty warm and then I had to turn the blower to face. Then it felt cold only in my face, while rest of the passengers and the rest of body was not cooled. It is an uncomfortable feeling, driving for long distances in this state. Next I turned the AC down to 18C and the window started fogging up !! I then had to turn on the defogger on, which actually increased the cabin temperature. Interestingly fogging was on the outside surface and multiple wiper swipes eventually cleared it off. Mind you, all of this happened during the night, when the temperature was relatively mild.

While it didn't fog up during the day, same AC effect during the day as well. This time, the second row passengers were complaining that it's either cold when I set the AC to 18C or it's hot when the temperature was anything above 19C. Unlike the 500, there's dedicated AC vents for the second row, which I was hoping would help increase the AC effectiveness.

I suspect that this is the case where the car AC unit is blowing cold air, when the vehicle is not able to retain the coolness, but starts to dissipate it. This is the observation I and others in the cabin have been having for more a month now. I wonder how it would feel during the hot summer months.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 18:03   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey @Mudhalaipatti, you seem to be an iPhone user, guessing from you fuel log screen shot earlier in this thread.

Some additional questions when you get a chance to respond:
- Is Apple carPlay working now or not yet?
- Or you are an Android User using Android Auto? If so, the navigation display can come on the MID console or just the ICE console alone?
- Are you also an Apple Watch User?
- Is the Adrenox on Apple Watch is as usable as your phone app - especially for locking, unlocking etc? How does the remote start and stop work on the watch or phone? Meaning - if you can remotely start the car, go close and unlock using phone, do you still need the physical key to start driving or it can be optional if you have your phone or watch accessible to start/ stop? or lock and unlock?
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 00:47   #79
BHPian

Quote:
And a rant on the annoying high speed warning. I'm told that newer vehicles have this high speed warning If you exceed 120 kmph. How do you guy even drive with this setup ? !!
Would love to know this from the enlightened folks of the forum.

As per some policy makers, India will soon be seeing Expressways with speed limit beyond 120 kmph. Will we have to visit the service centre for upgradation of the alert, before hitting these Expressways ?

Also once in a while, at expressways where 120 is the limit, we keep pushing the vehicle to overtake.

It would be a real pain to the ears when we keep hearing the high speed alert chime continuously in such situations.

Is there any inbuilt configuration to set the alert as per our own discretion ?
D_Security_Guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 06:08   #80
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed update.
I suppose you can hit 13+ kmpl with your petrol automatic if driving is around 80-90 kmph, with 3/4 passengers on board. City mileage is more than acceptable at this stage.

ADAS is one of the main reasons that had got me interested in xuv700 ahead of upcoming Scorpio. I hoped it will give me respite on the long highway drives. Won't feel happy it I ever have to turn it off on highways. Damn.

AC. Another sore point. Is it that bad? Wow. That's quite crazy. A good AC is a must. I can't recall any such issues in my longish test drives in October.

We are all hopeful that the infotainment systems are timely updated and within a couple of months time everything should be working perfectly.

Thanks for the update on the excellent headlights. I thought automatic high beam to low beam will be a must for Indian conditions but it seems it has not been calibrated well enough.

What of the hollow thudding from the suspension?
Has that improved?

Lastly, are you enjoying your purchase despite the AC and the ADAS?

Happy motoring.
fazalmirza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 08:36   #81
BHPian

Quote:
But ADAS detected it as a hazard and flung the passengers. Not finding fault with ADAS. Its designed with sane drivers in mind, not the suicidal or killer drivers we have here. I'm turning it off for good.
I agree that ADAS is still not completely usable in India yet, and it's better to keep the Emergency Braking and Lane Keep turned off. But don't you think the Adaptive Cruise control will still be usable on highways? I regularly use my normal cruise control, and it does takes some stress away, but I do have to regularly engage/disengage it as there is always a frequent need to slow down. This is where I think Adaptive Cruise control might help, as it will slow down and accelerate automatically.
Old 7th December 2021, 11:18   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Hey @Mudhalaipatti, you seem to be an iPhone user, guessing from you fuel log screen shot earlier in this thread.

Some additional questions when you get a chance to respond: ...
@abirnale, yes I use the iOS Adrenal app and don't use a Apple Watch. Android Auto and Apple Car Play is not available in the XUV yet. I'm told that the certification process is pending and is will be available "soon".

Also I have a AX7 Manual Petrol variant, which doesn't have the remote lock, start, stop option. It's reserved only the AX7 L variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Security_Guy View Post
It would be a real pain to the ears when we keep hearing the high speed alert chime continuously in such situations.

Is there any inbuilt configuration to set the alert as per our own discretion ?
You are absolutely right @D_Security_Guy. It is nagging to have this chime even for a few seconds. Not that we are driving above 120 kmph at a stretch. Even a brief kiss of 120 will trigger this chime and goes on till you come down to 110 or so. There's a sound setting on other ADAS alarms. Haven't seen one for the overspeed ones.

Also the whole sound settings in the software is buggy. I'll write a detailed review about it shortly. In short - There's a setting for adjusting the volume level of each sound, i.e Alexa, Indicator, Music etc....and there's a factory setting as well. Most of the times after I restart the car, the user set volume limit is erased and a random volume is set, which is blaring in most cases. And in some cases, only one side speakers work. I have to reset the sound settings to get the volume controls activated again. Neither the dial control nor the volume control on the steering wheel can control the volume in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmirza View Post
Lastly, are you enjoying your purchase despite the AC and the ADAS?

Happy motoring.
I'm hoping the FE would improve in the coming days, if I drive a little more sedate. Let the engine "set" and we shall see. Btw mine is a Petrol Manual.

ADAS worked great for the most part. In fact the lane assist was neat. You can set the responsiveness of the system and the volume and feedback levels as well, which is cool. However the emergency braking is just not suited for Indian roads. At least not yet. Not all roads are the same. Of the hundreds of cars I passed on the long drive, only 2 were killer drivers that activated ADAS and when you look at it from a numbers perspective, it's not bad. Not bad at all.

Automatic headlamps is a must for Indian roads and I love the feature. I'm a strong believer that it should be mandatory and not an option. Again this feature is designed for western designed freeways, where there's no bleeding lights from the roadside vendors. Only on a few occasions I felt I needed the high beam and I activated them manually by pulling up the stalk for a few seconds.

The thud from the front wheel suspension is still prevalent. I suspect that only a recaliberation will make it work. Hopefully the newly manufactured ones have updated front suspension.

I'm more than happy with the vehicle, especially after owning the 500. While in some aspects it's an upgrade and in some aspects, it is a downgrade, overall I'm happy with the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
....This is where I think Adaptive Cruise control might help, as it will slow down and accelerate automatically.
As a feature ADAS is great, its life saving et all. It's just not really suited for Indian driving conditions. Don't know if the route I drove is this bad or in general is bad. There was not even a 5 km stretch where I could drive in one lane smooth. Most of my drive was like the 2 wheeler driving test. I had to snake my way through one slow moving vehicle to another slow moving vehicle in the two lanes. If I had the adaptive cruise control on, it would have slowed me down tremendously. Again, this might just be the stretch I drove on, NH-45. I'll drive a little more on a different set of highways and report back.

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 7th December 2021 at 11:26.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 11:22   #83
BHPian

Quote:
I was looking for this comment - can you shed a little more light on this? Is it unbearable completely or something manageable with relatively higher speaker volume or barely noticeable? Typically on our highways we end up driving above 120 kmph for once in a while and stay at that speed for about 5-10 minutes easily. Even though it is just 1 kmph extra over 120, it would trigger the beeps anyway. I was curious to see how it would feel at that beeping background for say around 15 mins continuously?

The XUV5OO BS6 is extremely bad at this - you just won't be able to drive beyond 120 for even a minute! All the earlier ones were kinda super short - just a chime at 150kmph mark and that's it - it just indirectly says - #$^@! yourself if you still want to go fast
If 500 was extremely bad, imagine how bad it's offspring 700 would be. It is underivable, in one word. Unless you drum up the music to drown down this chime. I like to observe the road noise & vehicle noise and so keep my music volume down and this warning noise/chime is annoying as hell.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th December 2021 at 07:06. Reason: Last line removed, thanks!
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 13:10   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If 500 was extremely bad, imagine how bad it's offspring 700 would be. It is underivable, in one word.
Wow! Thats shocking to hear. A test drive I had taken of the car some time back did not have this kind of unbearable chime. This really has put me off - I am thinking if it is it worth waiting for my car to be delivered or just continue to work with what I have already with me :( My booking of AT AWD is planned to be handed over to me in a couple of weeks time and this news is a bummer!
Old 7th December 2021, 16:19   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! Thats shocking to hear. A test drive I had taken of the car some time back did not have this kind of unbearable chime. This really has put me off - I am thinking if it is it worth waiting for my car to be delivered or just continue to work with what I have already with me :( My booking of AT AWD is planned to be handed over to me in a couple of weeks time and this news is a bummer!
Well, it's all relative. I have never driven a vehicle that lets out this chime and also the fact that I like my car quiet, I may be overreacting . The chime is almost at the same level of a seat belt warning chime, if that's any consolation. Also I'm told that every new vehicle that comes out has this warning chime. I wouldn't rethink a purchase based on just one chime, especially considering that the vehicle is such a superbly built one. At the end of the day, its your call.

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 7th December 2021 at 16:20.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 10:12   #86
BHPian

Here is the video on the Menu Button On steering wheel glitch.

As you can see, single tap, double tap, long tap - Nothing works. It just comes up on random accessions. Also I have found that getting out of the "Driver Assist" menu is next to impossible.

The last part of the video shows the chime and volume selections for the notifications, including the overspeed warning/chime. I'll try to get to the highway and record the noise level, next time.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 13:00   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The last part of the video shows the chime and volume selections for the notifications, including the overspeed warning/chime. I'll try to get to the highway and record the noise level, next time.
And that would be awesome! Select the tone that is softest and set the volume to lowest possible. And then let us know how it feels beyond 120!
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 14:48   #88
BHPian

The settings not working in the instrument panel.
I am sure you have already informed Mahindra.
What's their response?

But yes, I am so glad, most people are reporting zero to minimum physical niggles in the car. Software issues can be /will be fixed soon.

I wonder companies like Bosch, Visteon, how do they mess up such simple coding?

People are also waking up to a reasonable mileage expectation out of the gem, this petrol engine.
But I saw a couple of very negative comments on Facebook mentioning they are getting 5-6 kmpl. While I am sure these posts were made by people who don't even own the car.

Thank God for Team-bhp!

Last edited by fazalmirza : 8th December 2021 at 14:50.
Old 8th December 2021, 19:23   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmirza View Post
Software issues can be /will be fixed soon. I wonder companies like Bosch, Visteon, how do they mess up such simple coding?

...I saw a couple of very negative comments on Facebook mentioning they are getting 5-6 kmpl.
I'm surprised at the software glitches too. Some of the issues that are being reported point to really terrible QC at Mahindra's end. Yes, the vendors are to blame for not providing seamless software, but why didn't the Mahindra team not pay enough attention to the final product? What were they testing for so long then?

As for negative comments on fuel efficiency, I think prima facie it's a case of clear expectation-mismatch. A lot of owners have upgraded to XUV 700 from Marutis and Hyundais and hence are coming from a vanilla expectation of mileage to be achieved. A lot of first timers would not be able to judge the pros and cons of a 2.0L beast. Also, majority of the unsavoury comments are coming from people who are just trolling for timepass.

From what I've heard from friends and family who have now driven the XUV700 Petrol and are due for first service, they are getting about 8-9 kmpl on an average in city conditions for both AT & MT, while on highway runs, the average is coming up to about 11 kmpl for AT and 12 kmpl for MT, with conservative driving.
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 10:28   #90
BHPian

@Mudhalaipatti This thread of yours is basically the Official Review thread for this vehicle, at least for me
caffeineAM is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks