Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 16:10   #181
BHPian

A visit to see Vista

Guys today i visited Manipal Motors in Chennai.The showroom was in rags due to renovation.But i saw both Vista and Palio MJD together.I was comparing both cars myself.Nobody to attend me.I already have a SIENA 1.2.Then i was trying not to be a FIAT fan and tried comparing.The looks from wide angles,Vista is yuck and MJD ahead of ages in terms of looks.Engine is the same.So OK.Then interiors of the Vista are new whereas Palio is ages old .It has the same interiors as my Siena.Space,both had almost same spacing.Boot space seemed a bit more in terms of my eye in the Palio.Then came the VIsta executive.Sir,How may i help you.I said I just want a comparo between Palio and Vista and I am planning to buy a Diesel car next month.He said without any debate Palio is the best.Its not my opinion but the opinion of a Vista executive.Then we started seeing both the cars,indica screems TATA even though its modern.I agree Vista a great car,but it doesnt stand even close to a Palio MJD(with new interiors).
He added that Vista is for the customers who come looking for a old Indica.But he has customers who have an eye only on the Palio.Vista is a new product for the conventional Indica customer.its time for some modernity for that customer.

Vignesh
1.2 SIENA ELX
Old 27th August 2008, 16:12   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
To quote from that TD:

"You'll be pleasantly surprised with the interiors. Not only by their size, but also the improvement in quality over the old car. Some bits are a little tacky like the door latches and power window switches"

The tacky bits mentioned look uncannily like those in the Safari - a carryover?
Old 27th August 2008, 16:14   #183
BHPian

Vista - Taken for a ride.

Tata Indica Vista Aura - Cherry Red awaited me this afternoon right below my office for the promised test drive. A simple phone call seems to have done the trick. Between yesterday & today the dealers has taken 18 advance bookings for this car. 4 Aura, 5 Aqua & 9 Saffires. Good goin in a day, i thought.

From a distance of about 30feet, i mistook it for another car and not the Indica. It just looked larger. So i'd just call it the Vista hereon.

As i turn to have a look head-on ( with my mind sayin INDICA vista...all the time ), am pleasently surprised. One casual walk all round the car and still feels a bit like a collage of a few other car exteriors, but does land a few notches above regular TATA average benchmark.

Looks very neat indeed, compared to it's legacy & a few other so-called hot hatchs. Fit & finish can be improved further though.

Open the door and a distinct larger frame interior greets you well. The centre console dash is indeed very neat & not a hindrance even in split-sec vision requirements. The smaller tacho though, left me wanting more. The dim-blue outlay of the dash lends it a slight premium appeal as i tend to prefer the shade.

Ready to go then. OK.

The keys are a distinct smaller unit now with a chrome Tata symbol and feels like another destination all-together from it's V2 key cousins.

Ignition ON and your mentally still feeling around for some kinda noises, please. This is a TATA product man.

Zero vibrations transmitted onto the gear. Well-done TATA.

Gear shift is quick & easy and slots perfectly as we nudge along. I was required to pass on my driver's license to the sales rep to get a form filled and the seat-belts were not yet there. In my anxiety to drive away I was hoping to do that after the drive. However, the alarm continues for the next 3 mins without a break until i stop & buckle up. Good job TATA.

Seat adjustment feature is a true bonus for a category of vehicle it belongs to. And the visual ability is now a lot better than the V2's. Thumbs Up TATA.

Tall tail light, felt very Ford'ish.

The first few mins was surprised at a much beter suspension job done here and the ride was completed as per the specified Gear - Speed nomenclature on the wind-screen right hand corner.

Now, its play.

1st gear - 20kmph
2nd gear - 70kmph
3rd gear - 105 kmph
4th gear - 120kmph and braked hard for lack of road to take on.

No jerks, no unrequired noises inside the car ( the ICE was swiched off and the AC was put off before this enthusiatic ride )

The engine is surely a super gem for city conditions. And between the 2nd & the 3rd most of the local bombay city traffic can be handled effectively.

Tried this run about thrice and felt the the upper power limit to be lacking. Having driven a few Swift LDi's that have not been Pete'd , this is a common issue with this Multi / Quadra jet engine. This is my personal opinion though.

Beyond the 110 mark you'll need a Pete's or Piper who's crossed over, to get you gruntin further. But anything below, you'll grunt along nice & smoothly.

This may also be true as the engine is still being run-in and had done 926kms as i sat on the ride.

Braking is good, but it's yet to be tested on true conditions. Felt fine here.

Steering feedback was adequate, but i felt a slight delay in response during turns as i accelerated plus 100kmph mark over potholes & un-even roads.

The tyres were Goodyear 175/65 R 14's and clearly inadequate if you plan to have this vehicle for the long term ( 3-4years ), which it is surely capable of delivering very nicely.

ICE - The HU will need an immediate change for any above average music lover. It simply lacks the punch. Six speakers - 2 on the front dash ( 4 inchers ), 2 on the front doors ( to fit in 5.25 comps with spacers ) & 2 on the rear doors ( 6X9 co-axials might be a possibility ). Seems adequate.

Boot space is slightly bigger than the V2 and is roomy as it can get in a hatch. 225 litres for the number specific.

Overall, 20mins in a red cherry vista and felt good to see a better benchmark for the famed TATA Indica finally. Hurrah Vista.

Am hoping to get this car again for a longer period of time to test and may come back with more feedback.

For any TATA loyalist, this is an imperative upgrade within the playing zone. Everything else can be taken care off. VFM with a slight upper-lip as well.

An ABS version may make its way by early next year, says a chirpy dealership birdy.

Lets keep the Vista feedback flowin'.

The feedback has moved with the flow of thoughts and hence pardon me for zip-zappin across the unit freely.!!!
Old 27th August 2008, 16:42   #184

Finally, their purpose of tying with FIAT has serverd!!! Poor FIAT guys!! (or idiots)

Now even tata has multijet technology without spending much on it!! Easy catch!!

Cars looks ok and drives ok. (I drove one for about 5 mins during their test runs on NH4 some days back.)
Old 27th August 2008, 17:07   #185
BHPian

The New Indica Vista Thread

hey, can someone try a photoshop job for the Vista -

Headlights : A small paint job will make it look on lines similar to Civic, Fiesta, or to-be-launched new Ikon.

Grill : Add another chrome plate from one end to another, with the Tata logo in the middle.
Again, Honda cues - similar to the Honda City.

This, IMHO, will make the car look more classy.
Old 27th August 2008, 18:12   #186
srh
BHPian

Tata PR at work?

Is it only me that has a feeling that the Tata PR/ marketing guys have been hyperactive on the forum since the Vista launch? (am seeing quite a few newbies singing paens for the Vista) or is this the car which really deserves the bouquets?
Old 27th August 2008, 18:21   #187
BHPian

VISTA & PALIO discussion with TASC Assistant Sales Manager

I had a detailed discussion with a Tata Dealer's ASM in Nagpur about newly launched VISTA and future of PALIO. Here is the synopsis of your discussion,

1. I asked him about torque difference and Driving condition suitability. his response,

VISTA is good for city driving condition since it delivers better torque in lower RPM than Palio.

PALIO is better for highway driving because it delivers more power at higher speed.

2. Boot Space

Palio has more boot space than VISTA.

3. Fuel Economy, Suspension, Build Quality, Price

Both are at par.

4. Safety Features

PALIO has Double Crank Prevention, Reverse Gear Lock, Three Stage Door opening, Key Door Lock (which ensures you never lock your with key inside) and so on.

VISTA has Warning buzzers for door and key, height adjustible seats

According to him Palio Safety features have more utility and purpose.

5. I asked him if they saw decline/cancellations in PALIO sales due to VISTA launch. His response absolutely no. He says the sales of Palio would get better because customer's confidence about fiat has increased due to the launch of same engine/suspension in Indica and due to the fact that Tata is handling sales & service.

6. I asked him why would someone buy a PALIO when VISTA is offering more features. He says both products are for a different set of buyers. He says that a buyer needs to evaluate how often he uses those features Versus what you are losing for those features.
Old 27th August 2008, 18:50   #188
BHPian

The indica has definitely grown up and in the right direction.Dint like the looks too much, especially head on but a nice effort overall.Paint job quality and the fit and finish are way better than the indica but still not in league of cars like the swift. Central console looks good and readable in most conditions.Get in the car and the first thing that hits you is the amount of space.Its massive and is sure to outclass many a bigger car.Even with the front seats yanked all the way back a six footer can sit with ease.
Crank the engine and the car settles to a smooth idle.NVH levels arent as good as the swift though.Engage the palio gearbox which still feels a little nochy and you find that the car MOVES only post 2000 rpm. The torque really kicks in at that moment and you feel the surge in power. Quite obviously the engine is mapped quite differently than the swift and is in no way as sprightly, but on its own it is extremely drivable around down with me pottering at 40 km/h in fourth. The ride quality though is in a class of its own, its nice and taut and takes in everything thrown at it with ease.A palio will handle better but nothing comes close to the vista as far as ride quality goes.There were no rattles and the car felt very well put together, but whether it remains lke that after 10k kms or not is yet to be seen.
The headlights rocked, switch gear felt good.Pathetic music system and even worse horn.
In its class..an excellent buy.

Last edited by balenopower : 27th August 2008 at 19:10.
Old 27th August 2008, 19:09   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
The indica has definitely grown up and in the right direction.Dint like the looks too much, especially head on but a nice effort overall.Paint job quality and the fit and finish are way better than the indica but still not in league of cars like the swift. Central console looks good and readable in most conditions.Get in the car and the first thing that hits you is the amount of space.Its massive and is sure to outclass many a bigger car.
Rest later..
Paint job is definitely better than Swift. Make both of them stand in the red color and you will see at once Vista has a better paint quality.
Old 27th August 2008, 19:18   #190
BHPian

i meant the fit and finish...I dont agree with the paint quality being better than the swift... i would put them on par ...

Last edited by balenopower : 27th August 2008 at 19:19.
Old 27th August 2008, 19:18   #191
Senior - BHPian

I drove down to A One Motors on Mathura road to check out the new Indica Vista Aura. I am penning down my obsrvations:

1) Paint Job : Excellent.This has been a Tata strong point for some time.
2) Looks: Smart and mature. Really like the new headlights.
3) The panel gaps are much tighter than before. This car is pretty well put together.
4) Interior room is great. I am 5 ft 6 and relly had to pull the seat a long way forward. The rear seat toom was no less impressive.
5) The quality of plastic panels is much better but no where close to the segment leader i10.
6) The door pockets are much smaller than before.
7) Ergonomics: Much improved. Every thing is within easy reach from the drivers seat. The window controls are on the door which is much better than the controls at the cental console in the earlier Indica V2. The seat height adjustment is a good feature as is the tiltable steering wheel. The pedal position is a lot better and they are pretty soft. The rear seat neck restraints are also good.
8) The Engine Gear box combo: The jewel in the crown. Silent , easy pulling powerful and hopefully very fuel efficient.
9) Tyres: Par for the course. The Optional Tata alloys ( Rs 21,500 for a set of 5) are not too attractive. The car can do with 15 inch alloys with 185 /65 tyres.

What could have been better:
1) A little more boot space, which is the same as before.
2) The seats though of a 60:40 split foldable type, do not tumble fold like the Indica V2 . A big ommission in my book. as I used that feature pretty ofter on my Airport runs as well on outstation trips.

Will I buy it?
Not now unless my office shifts to Gurgaon ( likely in a couple of months) in which case the SX4 will be too heavy on the fuel side and the Indica V2 too tiring.

I guess I will wait for the Fiat Grande Punto.
Old 27th August 2008, 19:25   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
i meant the fit and finish...I dont agree with the paint quality being better than the swift... i would put them on par ...
hmm. To be sure i will give it a relook this weekend when i will check it out again because i still believe the paint quality looked better last time i saw.
Old 27th August 2008, 19:41   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
I had a detailed discussion with a Tata Dealer's ASM in Nagpur about newly launched VISTA and future of PALIO. Here is the synopsis of your discussion,

1. I asked him about torque difference and Driving condition suitability. his response,

VISTA is good for city driving condition since it delivers better torque in lower RPM than Palio.

PALIO is better for highway driving because it delivers more power at higher speed.

2. Boot Space

Palio has more boot space than VISTA.

3. Fuel Economy, Suspension, Build Quality, Price

Both are at par.

4. Safety Features

PALIO has Double Crank Prevention, Reverse Gear Lock, Three Stage Door opening, Key Door Lock (which ensures you never lock your with key inside) and so on.

VISTA has Warning buzzers for door and key, height adjustible seats

According to him Palio Safety features have more utility and purpose.

5. I asked him if they saw decline/cancellations in PALIO sales due to VISTA launch. His response absolutely no. He says the sales of Palio would get better because customer's confidence about fiat has increased due to the launch of same engine/suspension in Indica and due to the fact that Tata is handling sales & service.

6. I asked him why would someone buy a PALIO when VISTA is offering more features. He says both products are for a different set of buyers. He says that a buyer needs to evaluate how often he uses those features Versus what you are losing for those features.
Surprise honest practical feedback from a TATA ASM

I'm sure he is gonna get a good raise from FIAT if they learn this

Cheers~
Old 27th August 2008, 20:34   #194
BHPian

What's wrong with the name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Nice review, k_ajay. Quite objective and unbiased. A pleasure to read.

I wish that Tata had simply called this Vista rather than retain the "Indica" name. It is a new car, and totally different, from what I can read. I wish they had launched it 6 months ago.
I guess dropping the Indica brand name would not make any difference because the vista looks like indica. Unless they completely re-design the form factor, everyone will still identify this with Indica. So, IMO Indica Vista is as good as Vista for this version
Old 27th August 2008, 22:06   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
srh : ... a feeling that the Tata PR/ marketing guys have been hyperactive on the forum since the Vista launch? (am seeing quite a few newbies singing paens for the Vista) ...
Intresting observation, @srh !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks