Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 17:55   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
I visited B U Bhandari (Pune dealer) for a test drive. None was available. I have clicked some pictures from my cell phone.

Viewed the car on display. Here are my first impressions with pictures:-

The car is huge. It has humongous proportions to say the least. Paint quality has improved vastly. I could not see any paint drips in tight spaces...

Nice detailed review i must say. They should hair some good QA's for testing the end product which will help them improve them in giving a good quality product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I don't think this is going to happen.
The Spark has some indications (indicators, headlight, seat belt) etc panel in front of the driver, which is very much useful many a times. But here i dont see such type of attempt. Will the driver move to the center of the dashboard to view all the indications (indicator, high beam light indication led) etc in Vista??

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.
Attached Thumbnails
The New Tata Indica Vista Thread-spark.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th August 2008 at 18:14. Reason: See note in Post
Old 25th August 2008, 18:20   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
why did the TATA's named it "INDICA" vista, why not a new name, excluding indica? , as we all know indica is primarily thought of as a taxi.

some of the buyers may be hesitent to buy this as a family car ,just because of this simple fact.
Could be true in some cases. They did the same mistake with the 'Sumo-Grande' too.
Old 25th August 2008, 18:24   #108
BHPian

The Vista Safire version shares the 1.2cc MPFI engine of FIAT. The Safire generates 65PS@5500 RPM while the Palio 1.2 used to generate 72@6000 RPM

Will this be a bit more sluggish car on city to city and on high inclines as compared to its elder brother Fiat 1.2?

Performance related terms, is this Petrol version worth to go for?

Cheers~
Rudrah
Old 25th August 2008, 18:24   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The dial on the right is the Tachometer.
Yes it is. The driver could hardly see it.
Old 25th August 2008, 18:42   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I don't think this is going to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
The Vista Safire version shares the 1.2cc MPFI engine of FIAT. The Safire generates 65PS@5500 RPM while the Palio 1.2 used to generate 72@6000 RPM

Will this be a bit more sluggish car on city to city and on high inclines as compared to its elder brother Fiat 1.2?

Performance related terms, is this Petrol version worth to go for?

Cheers~
Rudrah
Any idea whats the PS@RPM of Xeta? as Safire is 65PS, does this makes it under power?
Old 25th August 2008, 18:52   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post
Any idea whats the PS@RPM of Xeta? as Safire is 65PS, does this makes it under power?
THe Xeta 1.2 has 65 PS@5000 rpm
Old 25th August 2008, 18:59   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
THe Xeta 1.2 has 65 PS@5000 rpm
Does that mean Safire being same as Xeta at 65PS could be under powered? due to the heavy body weight Tata car carry?
Old 25th August 2008, 19:11   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post
Does that mean Safire being same as Xeta at 65PS could be under powered? due to the heavy body weight Tata car carry?
Thats what i'm asking too dude but in terms of comparing the Fiat 1.2 engine which is plonked in Safire!

Xeta 1.2 GL is a 1193cc while Safire is 1172cc

The Xeta had a kerb weigh of 995Kg while the Safire has 1075Kg but how much that can affect, i'm not sure!
Old 25th August 2008, 20:07   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
So does it mean that a noisy, cramped, underpowered and overpriced car can be termed 'premium' just because of its badge (which again is highly questionable) and pricepoint?

I sincerely hope for Fiat India that the GP is nothing like the Fabia. That would be a disaster!
Cramped? I wonder whether you have seen a Fabia in real life. All the points mentioned by you are exaggerated. Your gallery looks exhaustive but your post did not reflect your experience.

When GP is launched in India, you will know how good the Fabia is.

Regards
Mahesh S
Old 25th August 2008, 20:34   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Cramped? I wonder whether you have seen a Fabia in real life. When GP is launched in India, you will know how good the Fabia is.
I am confused with what you say. First you ask a valid question. If someone hasn't seen a Fabia, how can they comment on it. But you commented on the GP too. Even if you have seen it, have you been in it or driven it to make a comment like that?

Last edited by amit : 25th August 2008 at 20:52.
Old 25th August 2008, 20:44   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
I wonder whether you have seen a Fabia in real life.
Yeah this is the vehicle given to our security guards to commute from one building to another. They're now complaining and asking for a Yaris. Or any Toyota.
Old 25th August 2008, 20:58   #117
BHPian

The Test Drive

Today after work I headed to Autofin Tata motors showroom in Secunderabad for a Test drive.

I had to wait about 15 minutes since the TD vehicle was away on a test drive. The sales guy told me that since just before noon, the car had been tested nearly 30-40 times.

Finally the "Cavern Grey" Vista turned into the showroom towards the waiting area. Luckily is was the top end Quadrajet Aura variant, just as I had prayed.

Externally there is no question it looks very good. Majestic in fact. Though it doesnt carry the sporty stance of Swift, it looks more "regal", if that is the word for it.

I got onto the driver's seat and promptly tried out the height adjustment! its a very thoughtful addition, IMO. The height can be adjusted by "pumping" the lever up or down, as preferred. very convenient. The tilt adjustable steering is a great boon too. The vastly improved seating position as a result of these two features would be appreciated by the missus because she currently uses a small cushion for height while driving our V2.

The pedal are very conveniently placed compared to the V2. I spent some time familiarizing myself with the easily accessible controls - headlamps with level adjustment, turn indicators, wipers, fog lamps (front and back), rear wiper and defogger. The air con controls could have been a little higher though. I ignored the ICE for now. The quality of the switches and stalks is very good and they dont feel flimsy. The knobs and stalks for the headlamps and wipers feel strong and move with a solid click. The driver side door sports the power window buttons along with the safety lock for rear windows. this is a vast relief from the buttons on the console as in Indigo and V2.

I turned the ignition and was waited for signs of life. nothing. The sales guy looked at me puzzled and asked what was wrong, why dont I drive. It was then I realized that the car had started! Nothing was audible inside the cabin (windows up) and if there was any slight shudder, I think I missed it! I opened the window and craned my neck out to hear a low thrum of the diesel. This is a major achievement! Fabia could pick up some tips from this car!

The clutch was smooth and the gear lever eased into '1' with a click (no more "gluebox"...!!!). i gently eased my foot off the clutch and the car moved with very low noise, smooth as butter. Astounding. Once outside the gate, I shifted to 2nd gear and pushed the pedal. no jerks, no vibes though the air con was running! the car swooshed towards the gap in the median on the road. The U-turn was not a problem. The turning radius was more than the Swift and the Honda City but the responsive and slick steering ensured that I didnt have to wrestle with the power steering, unlike my V2. Not bad at all.

I now eased into 3rd and then 4th as I headed towards the Necklace road. the acceleration was sweet and jerk free. I could literally feel the increasing power as I floored the pedal. once on the necklace road, I slid the car into 5th gear and it took off with a gentle roar. I revved until the tacho crossed the 1500 rpm and the rush of power was reassuring. I could then decelerate to below 40 kmph (the speedo was connected since it was a bonafide demo car) in 5th gear and then accelerate smoothly to 60. this car can pull, with aircon running!

now for the drivebility test. I moved down to 4th gear and decelerated. I could slow down till below 30 until I heard a protesting noise (but no jerks) from the engine. I could then accelerate smoothly to 60 again.

then I tried out the third and second gears. here I let go the accelerator and clutch and let the car move by its own power. I could come down to 10kmph in third gear without an issue and acceleration was smooth after that. in 2nd gear of course the speedo needle was almost at 0 and still the car kept moving. very impressive! almost palio like. this is definitely a car for heavy traffic with very less use of clutch needed.

Then I took it to a muddy track used for parking cars. because of recent rains, it resembled a wet lunar crater. I again tested the car in 2nd and 3rd gear without clutch and accelerator, on the bad stretch. It moved nimbly over the bad "kuchcha" road and we were very comfortable inside. I have to get someone to sit in the back seat and tell me what they felt on this stretch.

After satisfying myself, I once again came back on the road and drove back to the showroom.

By that time, it was dark enough to look at the lights from outside. The glowing head lamps looked good. examined the fog lamps (front and rear) and indicators too. putting the side indicators under the ORVM is a neat touch IMO.

after having driven this I must say that positioning the console at the center is not really inconvenient for the driver. I didnt need to turn my neck to look at the speedo or tacho. a mere sideways glance for a second would do. the console is attractively lit and visibility is good. it doesnt divert attention from the road. IMO, i now feel glancing "down" towards the conventionally placed speedo/tacho is more distracting, compared to this one. about the looks, its subjective. I like it.

The delivery period is minimum 10-15 days after booking, as per the sales guy and the booking amount for now is Rs.20000/-

I am impressed with the new levels of quality in this "un-tata-like " car. its a huge leap forward for them. I wish Tata all the best!
Old 25th August 2008, 21:15   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Yeah this is the vehicle given to our security guards to commute from one building to another. They're now complaining and asking for a Yaris. Or any Toyota.
Agree that the engine is rough. But I found the interiors miles better than the Yaris or the Jazz for that matter...

I presume you are speaking of some office in Middle East. I gather that Middle East is a mecca for Japanese cars...

Anyways we are going off-topic...
Old 26th August 2008, 01:11   #119
BHPian

hi guys

had a TD of the vista quadrajet " aura".
i have previoulsly mentioned about the exteriors and so will not go tinto all that again.
the interiors :
1) spacious as u would expect from TATA
2) the top of the line AURA has two tone beige interiors which look bright and fresh.
the cabin looks really nice now.way better than the old indica.
3) AURA has height adjustable seats.
4) factory fitted music system

5) rear seats are amazingly comfortable.special mention for the head rest
6) mobile charging point for the rear passengers.
7) centrally located dashboard looks nice(subjective)

engine:

this multijet engine is doing wonders on the indian roads.what a piece of invention.three cheers for FIAT!!

1)start the car and their is a sloight vibration and the car settles down to be rock steady.
2)the gear box borrowed from FIAT is a delight.slots nicely.short throws.reminds me of the swifts gear box.slight vibration can be felt on the gear shaft though.
3)pick up is nice and smooth and the car races ahead.no lag in the second gear too.
4)the car accelerated pretty quicky till 80kmph,mayb in around 7-8 secs.couldnt go till 100.
5) no turbo lag what so ever felt in the swift and the MJD.power delivery is smooth and linear.
6) smooth clutch which thuds to the floor.i personally prefer a slightly heavy clutch for better control in traffic.

ride and handling :

1)the cabin is fairly silent and u cannot make out that its a diesel in the bonnet
2)rides smoothly over pot holes though i feel the MJD is unbeatable in this department
3)couldnt really test the car at high speeds and corners so can not comment on body roll and highway stability
4)braking is good enough

overall this is a big step ahead from TATA and one can see FIAT influence everywhere in the car.
i hope there are no niggling issues that the old indica had.
the pricing of aura model on road,thane is 5,59000.
Old 26th August 2008, 07:26   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
the pricing of aura model on road,thane is 5,59000.

is there 70K worth of taxes or is there something funny with the pricing? The range was supposed to be till 4.88 ex showroom

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks