Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 15:34   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
It's better than Honda! If that helps! I'm sure Hyundai is no different.

We are talking about light small cars here and their body no matter how 'lousy' stays in shape, if you want it to.

PS - I think you got too many Smilies, was 2 the rules?
Are you sure that its better than Honda? or is it just the case with my car. Someone leaned on the front left door of my Dzire i.e.the curvature(line) on the door and alas it went in, mind you NOT one little scratch or paint being chipped off where the dent was! Worst part was i saw it happen

Coming to Honda and Hyundai i always felt they were better or atleast a tad better Just my two cents guys, don't crucify me for heaven's sake!
Well my personal experience was with a big car from the same family i.e if you would like to call it big! Presume they are also light? "'lousy' stays in shape, if you want it to," a valid point provided only "YOU" want it to. Does it always happen / stay that way!

Dude, only two smilies used (2 diffrerent posts of the same thread submitted in less than 15 minuters of each other. Hope i got it right mods!) Hey you should have known, havn't you been with TEAM-BHP longer than me!

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd May 2009 at 15:46. Reason: Lets not refer to mod activity too much. Thanks
Old 22nd May 2009, 15:53   #347
BHPian

A very small test drive of Ritz VDI

Visited Sagar automobiles near dairy circle for the test drive of Ritz. Saw a white Ritz Vdi standing outside their showroom waiting to be test driven. Signed on a form (test drive form), got the keys, drove the car out of the parking and there we were stuck in the bad, polluted, water logged roads of our once pretty Bengaluru . Finding a good road nearby was a bit tough . Picks up a bit slowly. Change the gears, invite her for the party, Past 2000 rpm you are like woooow . Responive engine, Gears shifts are good. A/c chills very nicely. Car spells practicality (except the boot). Handling is good with stock tyres. Ride in the rear seat was quite comfortable (am 5ft.10" and the front seat passenger was 5ft.7" with seat adjusted for his comfort) with sufficient legroom for me (see last 2 pics). Overall impression is good. Would I buy this car in future if I get the opportunity?? Answer is YES .

On Road Price (Bangalore) .
Petrol
Lxi : 4,57,970/-
Vxi : 4,93,099/-
Vxi ABS :5,22,092/-
Zxi : 5,64,638/-
Diesel
Ldi : 5,45,580/-
Vdi : 5,80,267/-
Vdi ABS : 6,11,555/-

A few pictures of Ritzy in white (looks stunning) .
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-dsc01191.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-dsc01192.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-dsc01193.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-dsc01194.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-dsc01196.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-dsc01197.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-dsc01198.jpg  

Last edited by mnhegde : 22nd May 2009 at 16:03.
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:01   #348
Team-BHP Support

How does it compare to the Wagon R?

What do you miss and what new thing did you find?

Also, why have you blanked out the number plate.
Its after all a demo car.
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:13   #349
BHPian

To be honest, This car is much better than wagon R in terms of space, driveability (I test drove VDI), refinement and handling. I felt the rear head room to be a bit low in Ritz. Dash board and placement of Rpm meter is new to me . The rpm meter in that place takes a while to get used to. Driving position is good, but I did feel the bonnet to be a bit low. SRVM gives good view. Whereas in wagon R i was quite ok with the view from drivers seat. Getting in and out is quite good in Ritz.

*The salesman requested me to blank the number plates .

Last edited by mnhegde : 22nd May 2009 at 16:30.
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:41   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
I still can't figure out this adamant behavior from Maruti which seems to prohibit the need for safety and equipment in their Diesel variants. When they already have the same set of features for the same model available in petrol (Climate Control, Rear Defogger and Wiper, Alloys, Larger Wheels, Music System, Seat best adjusters & pretensioners and most importantly Air Bags) then how difficult is it for them to produce some "made to order" Diesel variants with these optional extras. Considering the waiting times, I really don't think it will make much of a difference in delivery dates (not that I'm not prepared to wait to get a much, much safer car)
They cannot manage so many optional features at one time.
Also, the effort is to keep the price of the car lower then the Swift.
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:00   #351
BHPian

Bad quality

Guyz I had a real close look at the Ritz yesterday.
There is a significant quality deficiency in the model.
Just check out few of my observations:
  • The dashboard mounting screws are left open in the side of the car which is clearly visible when the front gate is opened.
  • There are clearly visible body gaps in the car, the rear gate affected the most
  • The inner door handles are of cheap quality, at least the plastic could have been better
  • The door trims are again of very poor quality, just a light pull at the corners had them coming out!
  • The paint job is also not upto the level, the area aroung the skirting of the car was worst affected
  • The lower part of the grill (the air dam) below the no plate is of very poor plastic quality even a gentle push had it bending inside
  • The plastics used in the dashboard are hard , scratchy
  • I was surprised to see that there is not much storage space in the dashboard, which is very 'non' maruti, even the glove box when opened, hits the legs of the co passenger
At least I am very disappointed with this, not expected out of Maruti, at least!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-picture1.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-picture2.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-picture3.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-picture4.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-picture5.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-picture6.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-picture7.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2009, 18:58   #352
Senior - BHPian

@ accelerator-which other maruti had more storage space than the ritz,i am not aware of many.the panel gaps between the bonet and the body can be adjusted and probably you have seen a car which has not undergone a PDI.The same is the case with the boot too.The one area i would also agree would be the door pads.I had mentioned this in my initial posts too.But most of the plastics in the car which we had seen is changed now and far better too.
@smooth sailing-This is for your info that all manufacturers except TATA usses automotive grade steel for their products and they have common guaged steel being used.I would give you a simple example to show you that its never the thickness which matters.Paper when seen as a sheet would simply bend if you even blow it ,right.Now bend the paper and make a crease ,now it wont bend as easily as it was like a sheet.
got the point ,so it is such means by which you get strength on a sheet-paper or steel.Ther would be other things like body strengthening done on the interiors too,

ram
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:05   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelerator View Post
Guyz I had a real close look at the Ritz yesterday.
There is a significant quality deficiency in the model.
Just check out few of my observations:
  • The dashboard mounting screws are left open in the side of the car which is clearly visible when the front gate is opened.
  • There are clearly visible body gaps in the car, the rear gate affected the most
  • The inner door handles are of cheap quality, at least the plastic could have been better
  • The door trims are again of very poor quality, just a light pull at the corners had them coming out!
  • The paint job is also not upto the level, the area aroung the skirting of the car was worst affected
  • The lower part of the grill (the air dam) below the no plate is of very poor plastic quality even a gentle push had it bending inside
  • The plastics used in the dashboard are hard , scratchy
  • I was surprised to see that there is not much storage space in the dashboard, which is very 'non' maruti, even the glove box when opened, hits the legs of the co passenger
At least I am very disappointed with this, not expected out of Maruti, at least!
What would you say if i said that the Dzire shared a "few"of the same characteristics of what you have pointed out with the Ritz That apart one should also take a look at the positive aspects of the car. This is Maruti You can't have everything! I went and bought a Dzire because of what it had to offer in the form of features, engine, performance, looks (being subjective), comfort levels to name a few and all the while knowing fully well that it had its share of drawbacks. For eg.talking of panel gaps there is a visible difference(between the left - right side) with the boot lid of my Dzire. I also have widening gaps between the front bumper and the headlights and they seem to keep getting enlarged as well, and all i have to do is just nudge it a wee bit and it goes in. But i came to terms and realised that the bumper is of poor quality. This is just one such issue which i felt that i should mention. But in THE END i had to draw a simple line between "what i got with what i didnt get" and "least of all expect". And this is my FIRST Maruti!!! Will i buy another one from their stable i don't know, only time will tell!
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:21   #354
BHPian

@smooth sailing-This is for your info that all manufacturers except TATA usses automotive grade steel for their products and they have common guaged steel being used.I would give you a simple example to show you that its never the thickness which matters.Paper when seen as a sheet would simply bend if you even blow it ,right.Now bend the paper and make a crease ,now it wont bend as easily as it was like a sheet.
got the point ,so it is such means by which you get strength on a sheet-paper or steel.Ther would be other things like body strengthening done on the interiors too,

ram[/quote]

Ram, point well taken! But please explain how a car's body like the Fiat Palio is so much stronger than even my Dzire for example. I mean when i press my palm over the Dzire's bonnet / doors she kind of goes in and out, ditto for both the bumpers (what material is it made of) as well, something which i don't experience with the Palio. Why is that happening?
Old 22nd May 2009, 20:01   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
@ accelerator-which other maruti had more storage space than the ritz,i am not aware of many.the panel gaps between the bonet and the body can be adjusted and probably you have seen a car which has not undergone a PDI.The same is the case with the boot too.The one area i would also agree would be the door pads.I had mentioned this in my initial posts too.But most of the plastics in the car which we had seen is changed now and far better too.

ram
I feel that the dashboard which is a much evolved design could have given way to more spaces in the form of cubbyholes here and there. Even a Wagon R is good at that.
The car that I saw was a demo car and I feel they must be doing stringent checks for those, therefore the panel gaps are a cause of worry to me.

Coming to the quality of the plastics, its subjective, pal!
I feel my swift has better plastic quality (save the new cool dual tone dashboard for Ritz which I loved)
Old 23rd May 2009, 19:21   #356
BHPian

In the eyes of beholder

My view is that Ritz looks great (even the rear). Something new. Maruti's prices have to be down by 50K - 100K for Ritz.
Old 23rd May 2009, 19:47   #357
BHPian

Does the Ritz come with the same engines in Europe. I am askin this cause i saw a review of the splash between diesel and petrol where Jeremy compared the FE of both the engines where Petrol car had a better FE as compared to Diesel.
Old 23rd May 2009, 20:01   #358
BHPian

i got to see the car in person.
and let me make this clear. i was taken aback by how sporty and cool this car is. i was amazed. this car is out and out sporty. and the back side is curvy not flat. so its very stylish. once you look that in real many bad views and comments may change.

i am planning to buy one in white color or black

i want to add matt black alloys with chunky tyres. also i like the jvc touchscreen audio system. (not standard i know). working on financial arrangments for now lolz

Last edited by Caramelo : 23rd May 2009 at 20:04.
Old 23rd May 2009, 20:11   #359
BHPian

I did a test drive of Ritz today (petrol Zxi and diesel VDi).
The petrol felt very smooth. Power delivery was linear. Driver seat was comfortable and had good support. Gear shift was effortless and precise.

The diesel felt a bit nose heavy. Clutch felt a bit harder than the petrol and when compared to that of the Indica Vista Diesel which I had driven some days back.

There was a little body roll on uneven surfaces. Cabin felt well insulated from the outside noises.Seating position is also good. I felt back seat was not as spacious as the Vista. But space is enough for two people to sit comfortably.

By the way, I use an Alto LXi.
Old 23rd May 2009, 20:27   #360
BHPian

Sorry that wasn't Top Gear but Fifth gear and i managed to find the youtube link for the same and here is the video review.

So does it still make sense to spend about 1Lac extra and go in for Diesel version of the same car though Diesel(the fuel i meant) is cheaper here in India.

Last edited by Switch : 23rd May 2009 at 20:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks