Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2009, 10:55   #226
Senior - BHPian

@GR8NATIVE

I am not Punto owner but heard that Auto Matrix service is not bad. also now a days i see good number of Puntos in Mangalore.

When Punto was newly launched i had gone to Auto matrix, i spoke to one of the sales person.. he advised that "we have mechanics trained by FIAT india to take care of FIAT cars." So service should be good.

Besides I also see decent number of Palios, Lineas around Mangalore.
Old 18th December 2009, 10:59   #227
BHPian

I was not impressed with the looks of Punto seeing its pictures. Was wondering why everyone goes ga-ga over it looks. I had a quick glimpse of it on road couple of times and was not impressed too..Today I saw one coming towards me on a flyover... Wow!!!!.Killer looks..I felt we should forgive Fiat for the minor glitches the car has for the wonderful design that fiat had put in. This car deserves a good place in Indian car market which is otherwise crowded with poorly designed hatch-converted-sedans and box-like hatches..
Old 18th December 2009, 11:54   #228
BHPian

Now-a-days, suddenly I am seeing a lot of Puntos on the road. Lets hope that the Punto is slowly finding its way into the Indian wallets, and stays there - unlike the Palio which made phenomenal sales in the first year, and then crashed to abysmal figures.

Anshuman - great review, and it shows that the Punto is a truly capable car. Hope that Fiat continues the good work! the only problem will arise, will be when you have to repair the car. AT that time , the weakness of the Tata's will come to the fore.
Old 18th December 2009, 18:22   #229
BHPian

I bought a Punto E+ MJD three months back. I will write my own initial ownership after 1st service comparing it with Swift (my earlier car). Before that, I have seen many people in tbhp saying about 'Turbo kicks' in Punto!!! But Punto manual and engine specifications doesn't mention it. Neither sales people or service guys (both at Fiat and Maruti) say there is no Turbo (FGT or VGT) in Swift and Punto engines. It is Linea that has VGT. Am I wrong here? Do we have turbo in Punto? I for one never felt the turbo kick in Punto.
Old 18th December 2009, 21:45   #230
BHPian

All 1.3 MJD versions have turbos. Linea has a VGT. Punto D, Palio D, Vista QJD etc have FGT's.

In fact all all common rail diesels have turbochargers. Punto and Vista has the engine tuned for linear power delivery but the swift has a slightly aggressive tune. So the turbo kick is more evident.
Old 29th December 2009, 23:06   #231
BHPian

Anshuman, greetings from a fellow Punto owner (Punter).

I just read through 16 pages but couldn't find the info that I was looking for. Could you tell me if you have actual projectors fitted inside the headlamp casings or just white xenon bulbs? If you do have the projectors, could you tell me the approx cost for the same? If you're using the stock halogen casing, can you post a picture of the cutoff beam of the HID against a wall or something? I want to see if the halogen casing can handle the sharper cutoff of the white beam.

Thanks and keep enjoying your Punto!
Old 31st December 2009, 15:49   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Anshuman, greetings from a fellow Punto owner (Punter).

I just read through 16 pages but couldn't find the info that I was looking for. Could you tell me if you have actual projectors fitted inside the headlamp casings or just white xenon bulbs? If you do have the projectors, could you tell me the approx cost for the same? If you're using the stock halogen casing, can you post a picture of the cutoff beam of the HID against a wall or something? I want to see if the halogen casing can handle the sharper cutoff of the white beam.

Thanks and keep enjoying your Punto!
I dont have projectors installed in my car, i have Philips HID conversion kit installed in the stock headlamp casing. I will try to take some pics. There is a proper cutoff line as seen with projectors in low beam.
Old 31st December 2009, 18:36   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdrive View Post
I was not impressed with the looks of Punto seeing its pictures. Was wondering why everyone goes ga-ga over it looks. I had a quick glimpse of it on road couple of times and was not impressed too..Today I saw one coming towards me on a flyover... Wow!!!!.Killer looks..I felt we should forgive Fiat for the minor glitches the car has for the wonderful design that fiat had put in. This car deserves a good place in Indian car market which is otherwise crowded with poorly designed hatch-converted-sedans and box-like hatches..
I agree with you, I always found this car ordinary in the pics but the day i saw it i fell for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post

Anshuman - great review, and it shows that the Punto is a truly capable car.
Thank you Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post
I bought a Punto E+ MJD three months back. I will write my own initial ownership after 1st service comparing it with Swift (my earlier car). Before that, I have seen many people in tbhp saying about 'Turbo kicks' in Punto!!! But Punto manual and engine specifications doesn't mention it. Neither sales people or service guys (both at Fiat and Maruti) say there is no Turbo (FGT or VGT) in Swift and Punto engines. It is Linea that has VGT. Am I wrong here? Do we have turbo in Punto? I for one never felt the turbo kick in Punto.
All CRDI engines come with turbochargers, Swift and Punto have Fixed geometry Turbochargers where as Linea and Manza come Variable geometry Turbocharger.

Quote:
can you post a picture of the cutoff beam of the HID against a wall or something? I want to see if the halogen casing can handle the sharper cutoff of the white beam.
I am attaching some pics as requested, Sorry for low quality pics. The shade is 6000K.

Low Beam
Exchanged Swift with Grande Punto EDIT: 15000 kms update-b1.jpg

High Beam
Exchanged Swift with Grande Punto EDIT: 15000 kms update-b4.jpg

Exchanged Swift with Grande Punto EDIT: 15000 kms update-b2.jpg

Exchanged Swift with Grande Punto EDIT: 15000 kms update-b3.jpg
Old 1st January 2010, 10:04   #234
BHPian

man the xenons look great.now i getting tempted to put those xenons on my Punto as well.
Old 1st January 2010, 10:11   #235
Senior - BHPian

Anshuman
The lights look good but how much has the visibility improved, as in, the usable light ?

The stock Fiat lights have always been brilliant. Palio lights are still one of the best IMO.
Old 1st January 2010, 10:20   #236
BHPian

The cutoff looks great, anshuman. Did you upgrade the H1 fog lamps to HIDs as well?
Old 1st January 2010, 21:58   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshram View Post
man the xenons look great.now i getting tempted to put those xenons on my Punto as well.
The Xenons look good and improve visiblity too, i find them very good investment without much tampering with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Anshuman
The lights look good but how much has the visibility improved, as in, the usable light ?

The stock Fiat lights have always been brilliant. Palio lights are still one of the best IMO.
Palio's double barrel lamps have better lightning compared to single beam in Punto, Visibility has improved quite a lot after Xenon upgrade. OEM lights in Punto are not so great.

Quote:
The cutoff looks great, anshuman. Did you upgrade the H1 fog lamps to HIDs as well?
Nope i have retained OEM halogens in fog lamps.
Old 1st January 2010, 23:51   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Palio's double barrel headlamps are good in terms of brightness and uniform spread, but I find them lacking in throw (distance) for highway driving. Amongst all non HID / non Xenon stock headlamps, they can hold their own though.
Old 17th January 2010, 05:50   #239
Senior - BHPian

boss, this car is SERIOUSLY sexy. Red GP with HIDs is truly a bold new drive.

Chick magnet if ever there was one!!
Old 31st January 2010, 16:00   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pics

The car has now done close to 15000 kms, its due for service this week. I will post a detailed report just after the car comes back after the service.

Posting some pics, taken from my phone camera.

The low placed rear foglight are very effective in the fog.
Exchanged Swift with Grande Punto EDIT: 15000 kms update-14012010710.jpg

Exchanged Swift with Grande Punto EDIT: 15000 kms update-14012010711.jpg

21+ Kpl after Highway trip on NH10 recently, this drive includes crawling on choked towns on the way and crossing Delhi as well.
Exchanged Swift with Grande Punto EDIT: 15000 kms update-21012010720_2.jpg

Exchanged Swift with Grande Punto EDIT: 15000 kms update-21012010721_2.jpg
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks